Schizophrenia - A Case Study ...

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: Schizophrenia - A Case Study ...

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Animus wrote:If you don't know or have reference thats cool I just studied vision a lot and hadn't heard of this.
I'm sorry, I can't find anything online worth quoting.
DivineIntercourse wrote:You've stated in the past that these fields (neuroscience, psychiatry, etc) are still in their infancy
This is true, and I got that information 4 years ago when I was working in a mental health med clinic. I have not kept up with the latest developments, and when I was looking for references for Animus, most of what I found focused on the decreased amount of white matter found in the brains of schizophrenics.
DivineIntercourse wrote:The diagnosis didn't help my situation, if you aren't willing to believe anything else, at least believe that.
Fair enough. Ultimately, a diagnosis is just a word, a term, a label. Some people find comfort in that there is a name for what is going on, and that others experience something similar. Some people do not.

The helpful part about the tool of a diagnosis (and at best, it is just a tool) is that it helps classify matters, so people can see what worked best on similar cases, and what didn't work out so well. What I'm seeing is that with naturally occurring schizophrenia, medication is important to making sure it doesn't get worse as fast. But it sounds like you already know that.

What you're saying about psyc meds having side effects is true, and in general I agree with you about having doubts about the veracity of the mental health practices. Some stuff though, they get right. Read and research on your own. It's hard to judge when it is your own mind, which you use for judgment, that is the subject of the question, so all I can do there is wish you luck.
DivineIntercourse wrote:Btw, I can tell the difference between a hallucination and the real thing in the same way that you aren't mistaking a concept for reality.
Thanks. Good analogy. I understand.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:A main component of schizophrenia is that the sensory pathways in the neurosystem are not one-way. Normally sensory input starts from outside the body - for example, light bounces off an object and lands in our eye, sending a signal up our optic nerve and into our brain, which interprets what that particular light pattern means. It's a one-way process - out-to-in.
This is more like a Cartesian understanding of the process and seems rather outdated to me. What we perceive is not some neutral signal that fuels some construction in the mind. The whole line, from nerve-end to brain handling seems more like a product of processes laying inside as well as outside the body including but not limited to forms of back propagation. These are all highly shaped by things as convention, expectation, habit, symbols, semiotics and so on. And all these are quite variable and dynamic, not just a function of fixed biological responses. Although socially they can remain fairly static - hence the normal is born, which is mostly just a form of being functional under the circumstances.

For some examples of 'active perception' in action I have to dig into my memories, but one example is how memories of shapes and forms could be represented as a sequence of eye movements. So the patterns those eye movements follow would be determined by circumstance and expectation. Same could be with focus, but also the way the following cognition and memorization works, or in other words: what we think we're looking at. Many 'hallucinations' are therefore often misrepresentations of perceptions, the mind just decides to present them to us in a wrong context and the mis-identification requires then a lot of imagination to make sense, a mechanism to create a more or less consistent worldview.

If consistency would fail, the brain would not be able to function at all and experience severe confusion which would threaten the whole organism, so the behavior of a schizophrenic is best explained in cognitive terms: as a highly unusual and most likely dysfunctional reference frame a few sensory experiences are occurring in. This as opposed to the idea of a golden standard of reality because that would become just a more or less common reference frame. And the more consistent this framework is, the more persistent and shared it will become. But this is not related to the direction the signals in our nervous system are traveling. This is always a two-way direction when seen as a whole and at all levels.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I looked briefly through my books on the visual system and consciousness and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I think, if I remember correctly, the working-memory is involved in conscious awareness of real environmental stimuli, whereas long-term memory is accessed directly in memory retrieval. I could be wrong about this, though I'm certain the processes of memory retrieval and perceiving real stimuli are different in some way. They are stored in the same loci, but something different occurs when external stimuli is responsible for initiating the chain of causation.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Animus wrote: I think, if I remember correctly, the working-memory is involved in conscious awareness of real environmental stimuli, whereas long-term memory is accessed directly in memory retrieval. I could be wrong about this, though I'm certain the processes of memory retrieval and perceiving real stimuli are different in some way. They are stored in the same loci, but something different occurs when external stimuli is responsible for initiating the chain of causation.
The process I referred to is subconscious at best. The memory involved would be more like sensory memory, a very short-term type of memory. Schizophrenia influences these memory systems, affecting perhaps the identification on a somatic level here. The sensory memory is able to instruct the senses how to perceive based on what is expected on a level of pure pre-conceptions, which are signaled to them by other areas in the brain in advance.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Sounds a bit like the heirarchical temporal organization of Jeff Hawkins' HTM networks. I've no doubt this is the case in the brain's visual system as well, but for novel stimuli there must be some variations in the process. I know its in one of these books I just can't remember where. I also tried looking it up on Scholarpedia.org (an excellent source for neuroscience). Best I could find: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Vis ... erm_memory

I think like Hawkins' HTMs the upper layers can prime lower layers to accelerate recognition of stored representations. However, my interest is in the the difference between the vagueness of imagining an "apple" and actually seeing an "apple". The visual perceptual differences consisting of lucidity, vividness or vagueness.
DivineIntercourse

Post by DivineIntercourse »

I found a great website which deals with matters that are being discussed in this thread:
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V

Part 1
During the debate Dr. Baughman returned often to his central point – that you cannot have disease without pathology, and mental illness has no demonstrable pathology; therefore it is not a disease.
A very good point. I'd just like to add that in the future if mental illness is found to be caused by a disease, then and only then, can it be treated as one. There are tons and tons of people that have been diagnosed with schizophrenia (or another form of mental illness) given drugs to mask the symptoms only to be diagnosed a few years afterwards as having a known real disease. Furthermore, during those few years of ignorance the misdiagnosed individual suffered unnecessarily and even (in this particular case) permanent damage was sustained. Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens all the time.
Psychiatry, he argues, involves only fake diseases where no classic pathology can be seen.
Calling schizophrenia disease is like calling a brain tumor a mental illness.
Szasz, Baughman and others simply deny those factors that are unique to the brain, that relate to patterns of neuronal connections and neurotransmitter activity. They have no legitimate reason to do so. Rather, they rely upon semantic misdirection and evasion to avoid this core fallacy of their position. They cannot reasonably disagree with any of the premises I laid out, as all are demonstrably scientifically true. The logic also is valid, so the conclusion is sound – if part of the brain allows us to pay attention, in some people that part of the brain must function poorly causing a deficit of attention.
I think he's making some of the same errors which he's accusing other of making.
Baughman argues that this is not true. Why? Because there is no disease (read classical pathology) present, and everything else must be deemed normal. Why is it normal? Because there is no disease. What about abnormalities of neurotransmitter function or faulty patterns of neuronal connections? All normal. No pathology = no disease = normal.
If the abnormalities aren't proven to be so, analyzing behavior shouldn't be very conclusive - at least not for all cases. Diagnosing someone with a mental illness based on their behavior... is just plain wrong. It's sorta like finding a lump and diagnosing it as cancer (more tests are needed!).

Part II
He argues, for example, that the entire range of human behavior should be considered normal. All traits vary, he argues, and it is not valid to simply label the extreme ends of this variation as abnormal.
That's right. If someone gets a severe case of gangrene, then it's normal for them to have their leg chopped-off.
First, it is not clear if the traits that are considered symptoms of any particular mental illness are simply the ends of the bell curve. It may be, in some cases, that there is not a simple bell curve of variation, but the illness represents a bi-modal distribution – a separate group off the bell curve.
Can someone please explain to me what this guy is trying to say?
By what logic should such maladaptive extremes be considered healthy?
By what logic should they not be considered a behavioral issues? Instead of damaging their brain and feeding them propaganda, maybe they should become more aware of what's going on. Perhaps then, they'd be able to take better control of their minds. And further, who's to say that such extremes are maladaptive... Perhaps, it's perfectly adaptive?
The response of the deniers is simply that without disease we cannot call something unhealthy – a return to their premise which is little more than an unsupported assertion.
Notice how this “believer” is trying to uplift his point of view? No one is saying that being depressing isn't unhealthy, rather it hasn't been proven to be a disease.
To avoid confusion of terminology the word “disorder” is often used to refer to the malfunction of some biological process when no underlying classical pathology is present. The term “disease” is reserved for a known pathophysiological process. Admittedly, the terms are sometimes carelessly interchanged, and this leads to confusion.
That's a good point. However, the disorder must be proven. To simply classify a person as mentally ill without any such disorder present is an abuse of power.
To be considered a biological disorder, vs a purely psychological disorder, there needs to be evidence that the symptoms emerge from internal rather than only external factors.
Another good point. These internal factors aren't known and this is what I've been talking about all along.
So how do we know such disorders are real? Well, sometimes, admittedly, it can be tricky.
HA-HA!!!
Many mental illness entities are disorders, like migraine, in that they can be reliably diagnosed, the diagnostic criteria have been validated, and they have a specific epidemiology and natural history. To dismiss the reality of all medical disorders where a specific pathology has not been identified is to reject much of modern medicine.
He's being sneaky again.
When applied to many psychiatric disorders the terms become a bit fuzzy.
HA-HA!!! (another one)
If we can identify that a specific neurotransmitter is deficient in certain parts of the brain, is this a disease or a disorder?
That won't be enough. What if someone just gets into a habit of being depressed, etc? We all have lot of sad times in our lives. If we were to constantly reflect upon these sad memories, would we not have an influence over these particular transmitters in our brain? If a behavior is the cause of our distress, then isn't it possible to fix this behavior and make mends by a greater understanding of the behavior (for instance: instead of thinking about bad thoughts, why not change them and view them as good thoughts?).
Well, it depends on whether or not you count brain structure and neurotransmitter function as a criteria for “disease.”
Hmmm... maybe while we're at it we should be critics of our appearances, etc. Hey. All those above 6ft aren't normal! Hey, everyone that's bald or thinning on top has a disorder! Anyone with 6 fingers? We'd all be fucked!
But this is all a semantic argument – it does not get to the real point, that the “soft” problems that can occur in the brain, problems with the pattern and strength of signaling, can result in real mental dysfunction.
All that must first be fucking proven before the fucking diagnosis. Fuck!
Baughman retreats to the semantic argument as a way of glossing over the real question.
Notice how he (the writer) does the same thing!
But Baughman is operating within a very simple paradigm (no disease = normal) and must constrain all arguments to this narrow (and arbitrary) box that he has constructed. He cannot allow for any broadening of the definition of what counts as biological dysfunction, because then mental illnesses might sneak in.
And now he's lost all his long term memory...
During the debate I gave him the example of migraine headaches, as it is the closest non-controversial analogy for mental disorders.
Can someone please explain to me what he is trying to say there? Anyway, it's different. To me, it's the difference between knowingly imagining something and that of having a full blown hallucination (ex. Meeting a friend for lunch only to be getting funny looks from the people around, because there really isn't anyone with you. That's different! It's like: a small cut vs a deep one – one requires medical attention or stitches while the or does not). Btw, that's a good analogy, because for me it was like going to the doctor with a minor cut, having him make it deeper, and then getting stitches!
He was taken aback by this and did not have a good response.
Again with the personal jabs. Fuck! Work on proving your point already!
Dr. Baughman wants a clean separation between classical disease and mental illness – but no such separation exists.
Do you agree or disagree with this point? And why? The separation does exist. This is the problem with two extremes coming together, they're both wrong to some degree!

Further, the same mental symptoms can result from more subtle dysfunction – such as poor development, a paucity of connections, or abnormal neurotransmitter activity. If we consider two hypothetical patients: patient A has a congenitally underdeveloped frontal lobe which can be demonstrated to have low physiological function, and patient B had a motor vehicle accident that caused trauma to his frontal lobes. Both patients may now exhibit the exact same clinical symptoms – namely poor executive function (the ability to inhibit one’s desires and act strategically for long-term goals). It seems clear that both patients have a mental illness but with differing underlying causes. The symptoms are the same because the same part of the brain is affected. Dr. Baughman would say that patient A is normal, and patient B has a neurological disorder, and that mental illness does not exist.
The problems occur with the treatment of these patients.

Part III
Today I will discuss in more detail the evidence for a biological correlate to mental illness.
Great, can't wait!
Dr. Baughman insisted numerous times during the debate that there is no evidence for a biological cause of any mental illness.
But then that is no longer a mental illness, now is it?
There is good evidence that schizophrenia is strongly influenced by genes. Identical twins have about a 50% concordance, while fraternal twins have about a 4% concordance. This points strongly to genetic factors modified by environment, or requiring an environmental trigger.
That's interesting. Why don't identical twins both have schizophrenia if there's such good evidence that genes are a cause of schizophrenia? Stress is another cause. Wouldn't a diagnoses cause stress?
There is a similar story with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is defined as a constellation of signs and symptoms, most notably a decreased capacity for sustained attention to a task, easy distractibility, and sometimes hyperactivity. Moreover, these symptoms must be greater than what is average/appropriate for age, and must exist in more than one setting – so if they exist only in school that is not sufficient.
I'm sure that we've all heard about the misdiagnoses of ADHD.
There is copious evidence for both schizophrenia and ADHD that brain function is abnormal.
Yes, but not for all cases. I asked my psychiatrist to make me an appointment to get my brain analyzed and he said something like: “it can't be used as evidence.” Recent studies show that it can. Furthermore, if we take someone who's having a traumatic experience out of their immediate environment, and put them into a psychiatrists office, what happens? I don't see how giving such a person a mental illness. Second, giving them pills is in some ways like giving a person who's about to be attacked by lions, a tranquilizer.
(In other words, the clinical syndrome is determined by the brain function that is compromised, not the underlying cause – so multiple underlying causes are possible and even probable).
Meaning: they have no idea how such phenomena is caused.
Further, there are different identifiable subtypes of these disorders, and there are efforts to create more precise clinical descriptions that will allow researchers to reliably separate out the subtypes, and therefore more efficiently identify the underlying cause (because a subtype may have a single cause that will be easier to identify if it is isolated).
I'd bet that if everyone went to a variety of different psychiatrists, they'd all be diagnosed with something, especially when they took the time to explore their quirks.
In schizophrenia there is evidence that certain brain regions are smaller, on average, than in normal controls – for example the hippocampus and thalamus. There is also evidence from fMRI (images brain activity) studies that certain brain regions are hyperactive while others are hypoactive. Further many studies have shown that dopamine (a neurotransmitter) function is altered in the frontal lobes of schizophrenics.
You see, it's evidence like this that doesn't tell me anything because there are many causes for such finds. I'd rather look at the facts (once they're known), rather then to drive myself crazy with speculation.
To summarize, the exact types of abnormalities that we would expect to see are found in subjects with schizophrenia – namely a diminished volume of certain brain structures and abnormalities in the amount of activity in both connections and neurotransmitters. Moreover, these abnormalities are not found throughout the entire brain, or in random parts of the brain, but in those parts of the brain involved with the functions that are observed to be abnormal in schizophrenics, such as reality testing.
The problem is (again) that these finding aren't reliable with all cases of diagnosis. That's my main issue with the mental health community. I've seem numbers like 60% show this and that, but what about the 40% that don't? I'm fighting for that 40%!
Here is an excellent and up to date review of the current evidence for a biological cause of ADHD for those who are interested in further reading and references.
This can also be true for people that were never diagnosed. These same people may have come out alright, while the diagnosed may have died from complications.
Even with our current uncertainty and unknowns, the evidence I outlined above, which is just a taste of this vast body of research, taken as a whole is very compelling.
This allure can be very deceptive and dangerous.
In order for a biological test to be useful for diagnostic purposes it must be cost effective and practical to administer, and it must have sufficient sensitivity and specificity – far above what is necessary to establish a connection scientifically. For example, in the studies I cited and most studies in schizophrenia and ADHD biological correlations are shown with around a 40-60% correlation. This is sufficient to establish a connection to a high degree of statistical significance. But it is almost worthless for clinical diagnosis, because applied to an individual it is almost a coin flip.
Do you see the problem?
Further, such tests would not add significantly to the clinical diagnostic criteria. There is a good rule of thumb in medicine, before ordering a test you should decide how the outcome of that test will affect your clinical management. If I have a confident clinical diagnosis, a biological test that is only 50% sensitive, whether the result is positive or negative, is unlikely to affect my management.
Ahh... the way of the ignorant!
In addition, the studies that are showing biological correlations, like fMRI, are mainly research tools and are not yet in widespread clinical use. So availability is limited, and resources are currently dedicated to research, not clinical studies. Clinical tests have to go through additional studies of validity and reliability in order to know how useful they will be clinically. This is additional information to the basic science studies that are designed to just establish a biological correlation.
Amazing how he's disproving his own points! (if you use something as evidence to prove a point and then when that evidence is inspected you find ways to mark it as unreliable... weird huh?).

Part IV
there is no clean distinction between mental and other medical symptoms as even classical pathology can cause psychiatric symptoms
And that is unfortunate!
the clinical basis of their diagnosis is legitimate medicine, and objections to the very existence of mental illness are not valid.
It's not legitimate when someone gets their life ruined because of a misdiagnosis.
Mental illnesses do have a special problem in that human thought and behavior is particularly complex with multiple influences, not only from brain physiology and anatomy but from transient effects on the brain (like sleep deprivation), culture, family situation, personality, daily events and stressors. Also, one mental disorder may influence other mental processes and symptoms, and therefore there is often great overlap in symptoms. For example, a primary anxiety disorder may make a child inattentive and figity – symptoms that can be mistaken as symptoms of ADHD. This complexity does not make clinical diagnoses of mental disorders impossible, just difficult, and we are still left with using scientific evidence to make an individual decision about the reliability of a particular diagnosis.
I like that.
we will see an increasing use of biological tests to aid in the diagnosis of ADHD and other mental disorders.
Question: if they do find biological tests that guarantee a diagnosis of schizophrenia, then what will happen to the schizophrenics that are negated as having schizophrenia? Oh, and I'd bet that this will happen! What then? They'll probably be sent to a shrink!
The reality, transparent for anyone to see in the published literature, is a far cry from the caricature painted by Dr. Baughman – that the diagnosis of ADHD is a simple fraud perpetrated by the pharmaceutical industry conspiring with deceptive psychiatrists. Rather, this is a serious and fruitful domain of research in the academic setting. Also, the research is moving forward and creating tangible results – unlike the research done in truly pseudoscientific arenas, such as ESP, that seems to only go around in circles without ever making identifiable progress.

Part V
Rational pharmacotherapy is a critical and effective part of modern medicine. The bottom line is that drugs save lives, extend our lives, and improve our quality of life. Like any technology, they are a tool. Because they are a potent tool, however, they also have the ability to harm.
True. As long as it appears to do more good than harm... To those that are harmed: sorry.
Drugs for mental illnesses are no different. Sometimes, for example with schizophrenia, the benefits might include the ability to live an independent and somewhat normal life. The side effects of drugs used to treat psychotic disorders, unfortunately, are significant, and may include sedation and movement disorders. Pharmaceutical technology is improving, like all technologies, and newer drugs are generally better, but at present the drugs we have available are useful but could be a lot better.
It would be nice if they can cure. All that money, all that research, all that time, etc etc etc ...And no cure. Question: treating is much more profitable, so why would some money obsessed power cure something that can be treated well enough? (I've heard Noble Prize, but that doesn't pay very well)

Shahrazad wrote:Nothing about you is normal, DI.
:)
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:when I was looking for references for Animus, most of what I found focused on the decreased amount of white matter found in the brains of schizophrenics.
Yeah, I've heard about that as well. They don't know why it happens and it doesn't happen in all schizophrenics. Btw, white matter development (I've heard) peaks in middle age. Gray matter peaks in the twenties.
Ultimately, a diagnosis is just a word, a term, a label. Some people find comfort in that there is a name for what is going on, and that others experience something similar. Some people do not.
Sure, but I think that the significance of such a term is of greater importance. For example: if a doctor told you that you had cancer (god forbid), wouldn't that word take up a whole new meaning? I believe that it would do so.
What I'm seeing is that with naturally occurring schizophrenia, medication is important to making sure it doesn't get worse as fast.
That's another thing, I don't believe that my so-called schizophrenia has occurred naturally. That's not what I mean. There's a lot more to it, but I don't want to get into it right now.
It's hard to judge when it is your own mind
It can be the other way around! The mentally ill may have more insight into their condition, then most trained professionals. It's not like a scale thing, you know. It's more complex then that!
so all I can do there is wish you luck.
I believe that I can reason my way out of it.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:This is more like a Cartesian understanding of the process and seems rather outdated to me. What we perceive is not some neutral signal that fuels some construction in the mind. The whole line, from nerve-end to brain handling seems more like a product of processes laying inside as well as outside the body including but not limited to forms of back propagation. These are all highly shaped by things as convention, expectation, habit, symbols, semiotics and so on. And all these are quite variable and dynamic, not just a function of fixed biological responses. Although socially they can remain fairly static - hence the normal is born, which is mostly just a form of being functional under the circumstances.

For some examples of 'active perception' in action I have to dig into my memories, but one example is how memories of shapes and forms could be represented as a sequence of eye movements. So the patterns those eye movements follow would be determined by circumstance and expectation. Same could be with focus, but also the way the following cognition and memorization works, or in other words: what we think we're looking at. Many 'hallucinations' are therefore often misrepresentations of perceptions, the mind just decides to present them to us in a wrong context and the mis-identification requires then a lot of imagination to make sense, a mechanism to create a more or less consistent worldview.

If consistency would fail, the brain would not be able to function at all and experience severe confusion which would threaten the whole organism, so the behavior of a schizophrenic is best explained in cognitive terms: as a highly unusual and most likely dysfunctional reference frame a few sensory experiences are occurring in. This as opposed to the idea of a golden standard of reality because that would become just a more or less common reference frame. And the more consistent this framework is, the more persistent and shared it will become. But this is not related to the direction the signals in our nervous system are traveling. This is always a two-way direction when seen as a whole and at all levels.
Whoa. At the moment I can't really tell if that makes any sense, so I really don't know the difference between: 1) you don't know what you're talking about, or b) you're on to something. Mind explaining? I'll get back to you.
The process I referred to is subconscious at best. The memory involved would be more like sensory memory, a very short-term type of memory. Schizophrenia influences these memory systems, affecting perhaps the identification on a somatic level here. The sensory memory is able to instruct the senses how to perceive based on what is expected on a level of pure pre-conceptions, which are signaled to them by other areas in the brain in advance.
Seriously, what are you talking about? Break-it-down (please), so that I can determine whether I should ignore you or not.
Animus wrote:my interest is in the the difference between the vagueness of imagining an "apple" and actually seeing an "apple".
What if a person's imagination and memory is as vivid as the real thing?
Elizabeth Isabelle

DivineIntercourse wrote:if a doctor told you that you had cancer (god forbid), wouldn't that word take up a whole new meaning?
No, but I understand what you mean by things having more emotional import when it is personal. What's more, I don't think that a mental illness can be compared adequately to another medical malady in this case. Firstly, as you pointed out, is the prejudice; secondly, meta-cognition is a strange enough beast amongst the so-called "normal" population. The average person sees themselves through fun-house mirrors, but if there is a defect in there, that certainly adds an extra level of distortion.

I'm not saying that what you are aiming for is impossible. Actually, I still support your endeavor. I'm just acknowledging the size of the mountain you have to climb.
DivineIntercourse wrote:
It's hard to judge when it is your own mind
It can be the other way around! The mentally ill may have more insight into their condition, then most trained professionals.
The two scenarios are not necessarily exclusive.
DivineIntercourse wrote:I believe that I can reason my way out of it.
Good. I never discourage reasoning.
DivineIntercourse

No, but I understand what you mean by things having more emotional import when it is personal.
So it wouldn't go from being a disease in an anatomical textbook to being a death sentence? I find that hard to believe. Have you ever heard about cancer patients that become cured without going through treatment + a positive attitude? Sure, it maybe nothing more then a coincidence, but I find that had to believe. In an opposite example: that same patient may have gone through therapy, but they may have stressed over dying, leaving their kids without a mom, etc... Stress kills. I think there's more to it than what it appears to be. Positive thinking can open the way for miracles.
I'm not saying that what you are aiming for is impossible. Actually, I still support your endeavor. I'm just acknowledging the size of the mountain you have to climb.
I know. thanks. Your guesses may end up being correct.
The two scenarios are not necessarily exclusive.
What does that mean?
Good. I never discourage reasoning.
But I need more help with the whole mental issue subject. I need some good evidence that supports the existence of mental illnesses and the benefits of psychiatry (mental health community mind set), so that I can come up with a better supporting arguments for the opposite view. It fuels my desires to change. I'm a little timid of 2009 - I've had dates like this in the past, and I failed. So, I'm not saying that it won't be difficult, but I just won't focus on the aspect of it being difficult... Placebo effect comes to mind. Anyway, I know it isn't too late!
Elizabeth Isabelle

DivineIntercourse wrote:So it wouldn't go from being a disease in an anatomical textbook to being a death sentence? I find that hard to believe.
My mind is broken in ways that may or may not be beneficial, depending on how you look at them.
DivineIntercourse wrote:What does that mean?
The two scenarios (hard to judge your own mind and having insight into their own condition) might not be exclusive if:

1.) the judgment is partially messed up because it is the organ that does the judging (the brain) has a defect in an area vital to judgment, but better than the insight of the professional who is handicapped by
.....a.) not having all the data that the patient has, especially if there is a gap in communication between the patient and the professional
.....b.) possible prejudice of the professional, even subconscious prejudice that the professional is not aware of
.....c.) possible faulty or incomplete criteria learned by the professional
2.) the judgment is correct but inherently difficult due to the fact that the tool of measurement is that which is being measured
DivineIntercourse wrote:I need some good evidence that supports the existence of mental illnesses and the benefits of psychiatry (mental health community mind set), so that I can come up with a better supporting arguments for the opposite view.
here
DivineIntercourse

My mind is broken in ways that may or may not be beneficial, depending on how you look at them.
Were you also diagnosed with something? I didn't know. I remember that once you were saying you sometimes get depressed and it's hard, etc... But I didn't know whether that meant you had clinical depression or not (do you?). So, you do know what I'm talking about. Is this why your for psychiatry, etc? (Because you have positive experiences with it - get depressed... take meds... get better, etc?) If that's so, then I have an opposing view based on my experiences.
The two scenarios (hard to judge your own mind and having insight into their own condition) might not be exclusive if:
Exclusive = shared.
1.) the judgment is partially messed up because it is the organ that does the judging (the brain) has a defect in an area vital to judgment, but better than the insight of the professional who is handicapped by
.....a.) not having all the data that the patient has, especially if there is a gap in communication between the patient and the professional
.....b.) possible prejudice of the professional, even subconscious prejudice that the professional is not aware of
.....c.) possible faulty or incomplete criteria learned by the professional
If a doctor told me that I had cancer, then I'd be unwise to not accept it or to think that he might be wrong. After all, I don't have much of a way of determining whether I have cancer or not. I mean, something was wrong in that I found a lump, but I have no way of determining whether it is benign or malignant. So... If the tests come out that I have a malignant tumor, then why shouldn't I believe it?
2.) the judgment is correct but inherently difficult due to the fact that the tool of measurement is that which is being measured
Oh, I see... A diagnostic tool that isn't working properly, and that's why the tests are wrong. Then again, to be perfectly clear, I might still have cancer if and when the tools are fixed.

Thanks for the link! New data is constantly being discovered/falsified - this is why I stopped investing so much hope into it. I have done some research in the past, but I could never find anything concrete -- proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I didn't find something about brain scans and, etc... The EEG scan -- I wanted the doctors to make an appointment to get my brain examined using this method, but they refused. This only re-enforced my suspicions. Anyway, I do plan on getting my brain scanned eventually through my FD (family doctor). I can't say that I'm looking forward to it. I'm afraid of the significance that these results may have; what if the result matches up with the current findings? I'd be devastated (as I was upon hearing my diagnosis)! Moreover, because these results I'm hoping aren't proof beyond a reasonable doubt, I'll always have some kind of an excuse to not invest too much into it. And second, there's that famous excuse of mine: even if all schizophrenics have similar abnormalities, then I could always tell myself that the results are a representation of mind/matter. We all know that we sometimes make ourselves depressed (for instance) (as I've explained in the past). Well then, if that is true, then why is it not possible to have an effect our our thoughts? (If there is an effect then why wouldn't there be an observable effect in the brain?) Do you know what I mean? It's true. Anyway, however it works, I'll always have evidence to disprove that I have schizophrenia.
Jason

Post by Jason »

DivineIntercourse wrote:A very good point. I'd just like to add that in the future if mental illness is found to be caused by a disease, then and only then, can it be treated as one.
I haven't read through everything you've written here, so maybe you've already dealt with this, but do you have clear and well justified definitions of "disease" and "illness"? I think that having clear definitions of what these things are exactly, as well as who should/will create these definitions, and how and why these definitions are what they are, is of vital importance to these issues.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Here's an interesting challenge for the current mainstream psychiatric definition of "delusion", which is a tidbit I extracted from this article:

Sharing Their Demons on the Web
<snip>Vaughan Bell, a British psychologist who has researched the effect of the Internet on mental illness, first began tracking sites with reports of mind control in 2004. In 2006 he published a study concluding that there was an extensive Internet community around such beliefs, and he called 10 sites he studied “likely psychotic sites.”

The extent of the community, Dr. Bell said, poses a paradox to the traditional way delusion is defined under the diagnostic guidelines of the American Psychiatric Association, which says that if a belief is held by a person’s “culture or subculture,” it is not a delusion. The exception accounts for rituals of religious faith, for example.<snip>
Elizabeth Isabelle

Jason wrote:
DivineIntercourse wrote:A very good point. I'd just like to add that in the future if mental illness is found to be caused by a disease, then and only then, can it be treated as one.
do you have clear and well justified definitions of "disease" and "illness"? I think that having clear definitions of what these things are exactly, as well as who should/will create these definitions, and how and why these definitions are what they are, is of vital importance to these issues.
DI, what Jason is saying here is important.

Jason, I did read somewhere that they were looking into possible evidence that a particular virus restructures the brain to cause a particular, but more common, mental illness (depression? bipolar?). Perhaps for some people that is "the" cause, but I suspect there are many paths to the same end result.
DivineIntercourse wrote:Were you also diagnosed with something?
I have complex post traumatic stress disorder.
DivineIntercourse wrote:Is this why your for psychiatry, etc? (Because you have positive experiences with it - get depressed... take meds... get better, etc?)
I've had both good and bad experiences with it. I also have a master's degree in mental health counseling, but decided not to get licensed because critical parts of the field are just plain wrong.
DivineIntercourse wrote:Exclusive = shared.
No, just the opposite. Exclusive -> excluding -> one or the other, but not both. By saying the two situations were not necessarily exclusive, I meant the could co-exist (shared).
DivineIntercourse wrote:If a doctor told me that I had cancer, then I'd be unwise to not accept it or to think that he might be wrong. After all, I don't have much of a way of determining whether I have cancer or not. I mean, something was wrong in that I found a lump, but I have no way of determining whether it is benign or malignant. So... If the tests come out that I have a malignant tumor, then why shouldn't I believe it?
That's different from what you seemed to propose earlier - the difference between it being what it is in a book, and being a death sentence. In a book it tells you what it is, and it being in or on you doesn't change the fact of what it is. Books also say what the treatment is, the chance of the treatment working, and really rough estimates on how long before you die if you do nothing, depending on what type of cancer. That it happens to you does not change the objective facts.
DivineIntercourse wrote:I do plan on getting my brain scanned eventually through my FD (family doctor).
There are many different kinds of scans, and unless you go to someone who was trained in SPECT scans, they're likely to just scan looking for a tumor, or scar tissue, or something of that nature.
DivineIntercourse wrote:Do you know what I mean?
I think so, and what you seem to be referring to is also known as the work part of therapy, which is the most important part. Medication can only make the work possible for those who find it impossible to do the work without medication.

Calling it the work part of therapy is using the sickness-based model, which you are obviously oppose. That's fine. Even in the general population, right thinking leads to soundness of mind, and wrong thinking leads to distress. It's the same thing, really. It's just couched in different terms.

Eegads - what you're going through is starting to remind me of the film "Girl, Interrupted" - maybe watching that will give you some perspective.
DivineIntercourse

definitions of "disease" and "illness"? I think that having clear definitions of what these things are exactly, as well as who should/will create these definitions, and how and why these definitions are what they are, is of vital importance to these issues.
I concur.

Disease: a biological abnormality that prevents a biological organism from functioning properly. Illness: the appearance of suspected disease
The disease is proven to be a disease when the evidence has been proven as conclusive. What do you think of my definitions?

Here's my definition of delusion: incorrect interpretation of truth.
I have complex post traumatic stress disorder.
How are you now?
No, just the opposite. Exclusive -> excluding -> one or the other, but not both. By saying the two situations were not necessarily exclusive, I meant the could co-exist (shared).
That's what I meant by this: Exclusive=shared.
That's different from what you seemed to propose earlier - the difference between it being what it is in a book, and being a death sentence. In a book it tells you what it is, and it being in or on you doesn't change the fact of what it is. Books also say what the treatment is, the chance of the treatment working, and really rough estimates on how long before you die if you do nothing, depending on what type of cancer. That it happens to you does not change the objective facts.
I see no difference.
which you are obviously oppose.
I oppose what exactly?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Jason, I did read somewhere that they were looking into possible evidence that a particular virus restructures the brain to cause a particular, but more common, mental illness (depression? bipolar?). Perhaps for some people that is "the" cause, but I suspect there are many paths to the same end result.
Life sciences aren't my strength, off the top of my head the only one I can think of is Alzheimer's which is linked to the herpes HSV1(aka "cold sores") virus, and there was a recently publicized study which showed that there were concentrations of the virus in Alzheimer's plaque formations in the brain. The link has been known for a long time though I think, there was suggestion that antivirals developed for herpes might be useful in treating Alzheimer's too.
Last edited by Jason on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DivineIntercourse

?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Oh there was also vaccinations and autism, but I'm not sure if that has been accepted by the mainstream, and I'm not sure what the supposed mechanism was.
Jason

Post by Jason »

DivineIntercourse wrote:...

?
Are you ok DI?
DivineIntercourse

Oh there was also vaccinations and autism, but I'm not sure if that has been accepted by the mainstream, and I'm not sure what the supposed mechanism was.
?
Jason

Post by Jason »

DivineIntercourse wrote:
?
What does that mean? I can't understand what you're trying to say, if anything.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Stop posting question marks and ellipses, dammit.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Oh there was also vaccinations and autism, but I'm not sure if that has been accepted by the mainstream,
No, it was never accepted.
and I'm not sure what the supposed mechanism was.
I think it was the mercury in vaccines that allegedly causes the damage. They were able to make the link in one particular well-documented case, but it was only an isolated case (iow, there is no reason to worry about shots causing autism). The girl was awarded a win in court.

I followed all this because I have a daughter with autism, and am very interested in knowing what caused it.
mystex

Post by mystex »

No, it was never accepted.
Why not?
I followed all this because I have a daughter with autism, and am very interested in knowing what caused it.
Have you read about the gut-flora (spelling?) thing? I found that to be very interesting.
Dan wrote:Stop posting question marks and ellipses, dammit.
Yeah... you can't really learn from that, now can you? There was a specific paranoia-ridden reason for that! (I didn't want the leeches to suck more blood - lol)
Cognition

Post by Cognition »

Neuroslicer uploads good YouTube videos. He's the one that uploaded the video in the first post.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Neuroslicer
johnbrave

Post by johnbrave »

hi
this is johnbrave
Find the latest news about Depression, Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia. Discuss Mood Disorders topics with members of the Health Community. Now a days Schizophrenia - A Case Study very important main educated people. This type site very useful in all about people. So i like's that this type site.
==================
johnbrave
Manic Depression News and Discussion Forum