Jed

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Re: Jed

Post by David Quinn »

clyde wrote:Some doctors prescribe this medicine, some doctors prescribe that medicine.

This medicine works for these people, that medicine works for those people.

Why go on about such a simple matter?

clyde
Medicines are tailored to specific diseases. They won't work if they don't address the disease that is there. For example, prescribing asprin as a cure for cancer won't be very effective.

When it comes to the disease of ignorance, I'm not sure that reinforcing a female's feminine delusions by treating her as a sex-object, even while reading her the Gita, is going to help all that much. It's a case of actively feeding her drug-habit so that she comes to see you as her primary drug-dealer.

How does he plan to wean her off it? If he tries, the chances are she will only withdraw from him and seek out another drug-dealer who will give her what she wants. He has ensnared her under false pretenses.

In my view, it is better to treat women as human beings and presume they are capable of reasoning and achieving understanding and allow them to rise to the occasion if they are good enough. It's a far more honest, respectful approach.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

rebecca702 wrote:What's wrong with using a classic seducer's technique to get people to look at the truth? He's abusing her indeed. But that's what she needs, don't you think? I know that's kind of like the "she was asking for it" argument, but he's not going near the sex issue with a ten-foot pole. What I mean is, in this situation it's his duty to not give her what she wants and instead break down her expectations. He would be doing her a disservice if he did any different.

If he were actively seeking out females, it would be manipulative and wrong. But they are coming to him.
I'm not sure what he does in real life, but we do know that he is actively writing these books which describe these ficticious encounters with nubile women. So he is indeed actively seeking out females, even if in his own mind.

Even though he admits that trying to inspire these women with higher thoughts is a real struggle, he continues to push on with it regardless. So much so that it begins to look like a form of madness.

If he truly valued wisdom, then he would easily see the futility of such a project and concentrate his attention on young men and perhaps the occasional female who shows genuine promise. That would be the best way to maximize one's resources with a view of spreading wisdom in the world.

That is why I think he has a sexual hang-up, whether he knows it or not.

-
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

In this directory you'll find PDF versions of McKenna's books:

http://geniusrealms.com/McKenna/

There's a low quality (12.6M) and high quality (55.4M) of Spiritual Warfare. The low quality version is pretty crappy, but readable.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

David Quinn wrote:In my view, it is better to treat women as human beings and presume they are capable of reasoning and achieving understanding and allow them to rise to the occasion if they are good enough. It's a far more honest, respectful approach.
Yes, but how exactly will this work in a practical way, Dave? How does a teacher of truth not effectively beat everyone up? How does such a one avoid sexuality with a sexual being? Let's look at that exchange once again (yes, you have to read it to get my point):
How my words are received or what becomes of them after they leave my lips is beyond my ability to control. I speak, that's all. The words flow like song and soothe me. That's my thing. Nodding and maintaining a facial expression that conveys interest and receptiveness is his thing. I'm into the speaking--into my words and how well they represent the underlying ideas. It would be nice to believe that my words were clicking in his mind like the beads of an abacus, but I know they're not and I'm comfortable with that. "Act, but don't reflect on the fruit of the act," said Krishna to Arjuna. Sign me up.

"It's very simple," I tell him. "Enlightenment is truth-realization. Not only is truth simple, it's that which cannot be simpler--cannot be further reduced."

I can see from his expression that that got us nowhere. My bad. I have a copy of the Gita on the table between us. I open it at random with the intention of finding a passage well-suited to the subject I'm discussing.

Works every time. Gratitude permeates me as I read him this statement by Krishna:

"I am come as Time, the ultimate waster of people, ready for the hour that ripens to their doom. The warriors, arrayed in hostile armies facing each other, shall not live, whether you strike or stay your hand."

I fall silent as layers of meaning wash through me one after another and my appreciation causes a swelling in my chest. "Wonderful," I think. "Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful."

The young man before me nods, understanding the words at whatever level he is able. He knows that the words are spoken by Krishna and that he is speaking to Arjuna, the mighty warrior who has thrown down his arms rather than signal the beginning of a war that will surely scorch the earth and his own family to ash. He knows that Krishna is revealing to Arjuna the truth of how the world unfolds, and he knows that at the end of this conversation--the Bhagavad Gita--Arjuna's delusion will be dispelled and he will launch the battle.

But that's probably as far as his knowledge goes. I doubt he identifies himself with Arjuna, paralyzed by confusion at the start of the Gita. I doubt he equates enlightenment with the direct experience of reality in its infinite form. I doubt he knows that in his own life war is coming and that he is a breath away from giving the signal that will spark the conflagration that will incinerate his world. I look at this young man and I know he has no idea where this road really leads.

I smile.

"Unity consciousness is great," I say, and he looks relieved. "Mystical union, being at one with the universe, the direct experience of the infinite. Bliss, ecstasy--a taste of heaven. Beyond time, beyond space, beyond the ability of any words to describe. The peace that surpasseth all understanding."

"Wow," he says, aptly. His name is Shaun. He's young, early twenties, and I've just pushed all of his spirituality buttons. If I were a guru, that would be my full time job. I shudder at the thought.

"Yeah," he rides on it, "that's exactly..."

"But that's not enlightenment."

"Oh."

"Enlightenment isn't when you go there, it's when there comes here. It's not a place you visit and remember wistfully and try to return to. It's not a visit to the truth, it's the awakening of truth within you. It's not a fleeting state of consciousness, it's permanent truth-realization--abiding non-dual awareness. It's not a place you visit from here, this is a place you visit from there. For instance, I myself am enlightened, right here, right now. I am free of delusion and unbound by ego, and although I have had the great fortune of experiencing mystical union on several occasions, I am not presently in that state and I have no plans to return to it. Nobody resides in a state of permanent bliss, Shaun, that's just something out of a sales pitch."
How should that have exchange been different to avoid a sexual dynamic?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Jason wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:If I have a burning ambition to achieve some end, what is there to be optimistic about? That I can? Well, I don't really know that, do I? Isn't it the purity and force of that ambition that will actually determine it?
If purity and force of ambition are what determine success, and you have enough of these qualities that you think it likely that you will succeed, wouldn't that reasonably lead to optimism?
Not the way optimism and pessimism are usually defined. I'm using the conventional definitions which always, to me, connote an irrational bearing and engagement with probabilities. Optimism, to me, is a positive disposition over and above - or simply without - due cause.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
Main Entry:
op·ti·mism

1 : a doctrine that this world is the best possible world

2 : an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Ok, by those definitions, I'm definitely not an optimist.
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

maestro wrote:It seems Rebecaa, that you are trying to get QRS approval for Jed. How will this help, since either of these or both could be deluded.
Maestro-

It does seem that way, doesn't it?

I merely want to understand their views on women. I am trying to figure it out for myself, and I like going fishing now and then. I don't mean to come off as defending Jed by any means, but I want to know where he and QRS differ on this woman-thing.

We all might be deluded... thanks for the reminder.
clyde

Post by clyde »

David Quinn wrote:
clyde wrote:Some doctors prescribe this medicine, some doctors prescribe that medicine.

This medicine works for these people, that medicine works for those people.

Why go on about such a simple matter?

clyde
Medicines are tailored to specific diseases. They won't work if they don't address the disease that is there. For example, prescribing asprin as a cure for cancer won't be very effective.

When it comes to the disease of ignorance, I'm not sure that reinforcing a female's feminine delusions by treating her as a sex-object, even while reading her the Gita, is going to help all that much. It's a case of actively feeding her drug-habit so that she comes to see you as her primary drug-dealer.

How does he plan to wean her off it? If he tries, the chances are she will only withdraw from him and seek out another drug-dealer who will give her what she wants. He has ensnared her under false pretenses.

In my view, it is better to treat women as human beings and presume they are capable of reasoning and achieving understanding and allow them to rise to the occasion if they are good enough. It's a far more honest, respectful approach.

-
David;

You do go on, even when you're uncertain ("I'm not sure . . ."), and speculate (". . . the chances are . . .").

To continue the analogy, some diseases have multiple medications/treatments that are effective, depending on circumstances and the patient, so two doctors may prescribe different medication/treatment for the same disease and the patients may be cured. Also, it is difficult to diagnosis a patient from such an incomplete account and it may be unfair to criticise another doctor's treatment based on such an incomplete account, unless there are clear signs of harm.

In any case, I was not commenting on any particular instance (e.g. - Jed and a woman seeker), but on the insistence that some spiritual teachers have that because they attained enlightenment (were saved or however you wish to express the end-of-searching/suffering) in a particular way that their path is the 'one and only way'.

clyde
maestro

Post by maestro »

rebecca702 wrote:I merely want to understand their views on women. I am trying to figure it out for myself, and I like going fishing now and then. I don't mean to come off as defending Jed by any means, but I want to know where he and QRS differ on this woman-thing.
That is quite simple, Jed hasn't got radically different attitudes about women and men. His treatment of them is quite similar (from the books anyways). However for some reason there are far more females than males in there.

QRS on the other hand, do seem to focus a lot on the inherent differences between men and women in their inherent capacity and aptitude for rational thinking and that is perhaps fair enough since men tend to be more thinking based while women are more feeling based. If you accept this inherent difference you will find that their and (Jed's path) is of relentless questioning, which is perhaps more suited to males.

Also for some reason Jed marks a terrible crisis, in which an individual crashes under the irrationality of the society as beginning of awakening and makes a huge deal out of it. In general such a crisis may not lead to awakening at all, and awakening may not require such a dramatic crash and burn. While reading the story of Lisa it seems to me that she is so emotionally tormented that despite McKenna's assertions that she is on the high road to awakening, she would be hardly able to even properly begin the rational self enquiry that enlightenment demands.
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

maestro wrote:Also for some reason Jed marks a terrible crisis, in which an individual crashes under the irrationality of the society as beginning of awakening and makes a huge deal out of it. In general such a crisis may not lead to awakening at all, and awakening may not require such a dramatic crash and burn. While reading the story of Lisa it seems to me that she is so emotionally tormented that despite McKenna's assertions that she is on the high road to awakening, she would be hardly able to even properly begin the rational self enquiry that enlightenment demands.
I know... I have often wondered, what was his rationale for this? Does he think "Human Adult" females are better than nothing at all? Does he act like he believes they can become enlightened, but he really doesn't think so? Is he just patronizing them and their over-emotionalized breakdowns?

Lisa is hopeless. She had the motivation to quit trying to live the so-called American dream of normalness, but it seems that was as far as she got. She struck me as pretty damn pathetic at times. Why does Jed pander to her so much? He doesn't think she'll end up enlightened, but he still acts like it's possible for her.

Maybe I'm missing something.
maestro wrote:for some reason there are far more females than males in there.
THAT is the mystery that bugs me.
maestro

Post by maestro »

rebecca702 wrote:Lisa is hopeless. She had the motivation to quit trying to live the so-called American dream of normalness, but it seems that was as far as she got. She struck me as pretty damn pathetic at times. Why does Jed pander to her so much? He doesn't think she'll end up enlightened, but he still acts like it's possible for her.

Maybe I'm missing something.
It stuck me that something similar happens in the Gita.

Krishna is expounding the most sublime philosophy to Arjuna who had an emotional breakdown. It is obvious in the whole text that Arjuna is ill prepared for this wisdom. He is completely confused throughout the exposition and comes out even more bewildered at the end of it.

Perhaps Jed is writing his own Gita.

And the name of the book is Spiritual Warfare, how apt.
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

maestro wrote:Perhaps Jed is writing his own Gita.

And the name of the book is Spiritual Warfare, how apt.
hmm!

Song of the Lord or the lullabye of Maya... it is what you make it. The ego will always take the truth and twist it.

On the cover of Spiritual Warfare is a quote that calls it "disturbing"... that is quite telling... a word that has many meanings, but in the context of defeating Maya, nudges you again and again away from the deceptive thinking that the war is already won. Pick up your sword, Arjuna!
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Maestro,
That is quite simple, Jed hasn't got radically different attitudes about women and men. His treatment of them is quite similar (from the books anyways). However for some reason there are far more females than males in there.
I don't think this is true, except in the 3rd book. In the first book, he has at least as many males, but the one who becomes enlightened, Paul, he spends very little time on. A couple of the others get a chapter thereabouts, but he spends quite a lot of time with the teenage girl zen seeker (my favorite character) and with the woman reporter, who goes off to get enlightened via autolysis.

Her ramblings continue in the second book, and were boring and trite from my point of view but perhaps are apt for some people. I skimmed them.

The two main characters in the second book were a teenage boy and Govinda (Tim), the teacher of Bhagavad Gita.
Why does Jed pander to her so much? He doesn't think she'll end up enlightened, but he still acts like it's possible for her.
Thinking it probably won't happen is not the same as thinking it definitely won't happen. The purpose of her character is to spur people on.
Truth is a pathless land.
mystex

Post by mystex »

Thinking it probably won't happen is not the same as thinking it definitely won't happen.
They're both useless. That's just my opinion.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Dan Rowden wrote:
David Quinn wrote:In my view, it is better to treat women as human beings and presume they are capable of reasoning and achieving understanding and allow them to rise to the occasion if they are good enough. It's a far more honest, respectful approach.
Yes, but how exactly will this work in a practical way, Dave? How does a teacher of truth not effectively beat everyone up? How does such a one avoid sexuality with a sexual being?

The key thing is stop being sexual oneself. That is, ceasing the mad urge to look outwards and use others for completion, to crave their approval, to want to hypnotize and dominate them. In other words, by learning how to be self-contained.

In this way you can minimize the danger of pushing their sexual buttons. You can become invisible to the eye of a woman (as in the manner of a hobo or a garbage collector).

I agree it can be tricky at times because men of truth possess a natural authority and women are instinctively attracted to men of authority. But if one can at least minimize the sexual spill-over from this dynamic, then female seekers, if they have any potential at all, will have a better chance of going beyond the trap of falling in love with you. They won't be smothered out of their potential at the very start of their path, when they are at their most vulnerable.

Dan, your trick of replacing Sarah with Shaun in McKenna's passage was interesting, because it highlighted even more the essential sickness of his mind. For example:
"Unity consciousness is great," I say, and he looks relieved.
Remember, this is a fictitious story that he is writing. So here we have a man who essentially spends his time daydreaming about his hypnotic powers and the impact they have on other people. In the case of Sarah, it comes across as a sexual fantasy. With Shaun, it looks like an expression of low self-esteem. (Same thing, at bottom)

When I showed your revised passage to Sue, her first impression was that he was displaying the mind of a pedophile. I can understand what she means. The subtext of his writings is that he enjoys preying on the minds of people much younger than himself.

Another passage:
"Mystical union, being at one with the universe, the direct experience of the infinite. Bliss, ecstasy--a taste of heaven. Beyond time, beyond space, beyond the ability of any words to describe. The peace that surpasseth all understanding."

"Wow," he says, aptly. His name is Shaun. He's young, early twenties, and I've just pushed all of his spirituality buttons. If I were a guru, that would be my full time job. I shudder at the thought.
This is laughable. McKenna spends his days daydreaming about his impact on others as a spiritual guru and even writes fictitiously about the profound effect he has on others, and then he has the presumption to shudder at the thought of being a guru.

Who is he trying to kid?

He also writes:
How my words are received or what becomes of them after they leave my lips is beyond my ability to control. I speak, that's all. The words flow like song and soothe me. That's my thing. Nodding and maintaining a facial expression that conveys interest and receptiveness is his thing. I'm into the speaking--into my words and how well they represent the underlying ideas. It would be nice to believe that my words were clicking in his mind like the beads of an abacus, but I know they're not and I'm comfortable with that.
It sounds like he is trying to hypnotize himself here.

I fall silent as layers of meaning wash through me one after another and my appreciation causes a swelling in my chest. "Wonderful," I think. "Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful."
Who in their right mind would write such rubbish?

I can't bring myself to go on. There is too much sickness in McKenna's writing to deal with.

Dan, you wrote:
Well, he needs to stop fantasizing and daydreaming for a start. The sexual dynamic is powered by such indulgences. He needs to stop worrying about how he is being perceived by others and how he is impacting on them. Above all, he needs to resolve his self-esteem issues.

If you really wanted to strip away the sexual dynamic from the passage, then you would write something like:
I said to her: "Enlightenment is truth-realization. Not only is truth simple, it's that which cannot be simpler--cannot be further reduced."

She had trouble understanding this, so I explained the point further using examples. [That is, I didn't randomly open a spiritual text and proceed to read out an unrelated point, as I knew that would only confuse her and bewitch her into believing that I was some kind of mad cosmic magician.]

I went on to explain that enlightenment is not mysticism. It isn't about having mystical experiences, but about becoming perfectly truthful in every moment of one's life and consciously connecting to reality on a permanent basis. [That is, I didn't use the time to expound how wonderful I am, about how I am so enlightened, free of delusion and unbound by ego, about how deluded and dull-witted she was, etc]

She had trouble understanding this point as well, so I explained further using examples.

Etc.
In other words, if he was sincere in expounding the truth in a simple, straightforward manner and if he strove to put an end to all the fantasizing about how good he is at hypnotizing people and having them in his thrall, it would go a long way towards removing the sexual element.

-
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

David Quinn wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:
Yes, but how exactly will this work in a practical way, Dave? How does a teacher of truth not effectively beat everyone up? How does such a one avoid sexuality with a sexual being?

The key thing is stop being sexual oneself. That is, ceasing the mad urge to look outwards and use others for completion, to crave their approval, to want to hypnotize and dominate them. In other words, by learning how to be self-contained.
Agreed, but with the qualification that one cannot really control or determine how one will be taken by others, especially women; one can only eliminate oneself as a causal agent. Though, again, it isn't necessarily possible even then as a woman may see sexuality in the very fact of your speaking to her.
In this way you can minimize the danger of pushing their sexual buttons. You can become invisible to the eye of a woman (as in the manner of a hobo or a garbage collector).
Yes, I agree one can minimise the danger. One way to do that is to not continue to indulge a person who is not "getting" it. So far it seems to me that McKenna lacks the insight into the feminine sufficient for him to recognise when the conceptual content of his words don't matter anymore and the mere fact of his speaking does. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a young barmaid at the local pub a while back. She was studying journalism and something else - can't recall now - at Uni and she mentioned philosophy and wanting to study that, and what I do came up in the conversation. She immediately got all wide-eyed and when she knocked off work she came and sat with me and we discussed studying philosophy and the crappy nature of universities and so forth. She looked near orgasmic by the end of the conversation. After that I've not brought the subject up with her even in passing (nor she with me, which is more telling) because I could tell from watching her behaviour and interaction with others that it wasn't really important to her. She just wanted to indulge that part of her personality. To bring it up again would be to do no more than indulge her.

I get the feeling McKenna likes to indulge, but justifies it with the nonsense that if you keep pressing, progress might be made. It's almost as if the characters in his books are an attempt to redress what may have been his failures with women in terms of getting them to think. I'm still not totally sure what I think on this, but something is wrong.
I agree it can be tricky at times because men of truth possess a natural authority and women are instinctively attracted to men of authority. But if one can at least minimize the sexual spill-over from this dynamic, then female seekers, if they have any potential at all, will have a better chance of going beyond the trap of falling in love with you. They won't be smothered out of their potential at the very start of their path, when they are at their most vulnerable.
I agree with all that, but I don't think you can really control it; all you can do is eliminate your role and be able to see the danger signs. I'm getting the distinct impression that McKenna doesn't know what those signs are, or, perhaps, doesn't care.
Dan, your trick of replacing Sarah with Shaun in McKenna's passage was interesting, because it highlighted even more the essential sickness of his mind. For example:
"Unity consciousness is great," I say, and he looks relieved.
Remember, this is a fictitious story that he is writing. So here we have a man who essentially spends his time daydreaming about his hypnotic powers and the impact they have on other people. In the case of Sarah, it comes across as a sexual fantasy. With Shaun, it looks like an expression of low self-esteem. (Same thing, at bottom)
Indeed. This is an important theme in McKenna's writings. He does seem to be playing games with people all the time, and reveling in the game. But, as you say, that indicates something far other than what ought be expected from an enlightened, or even highly developed person. Indeed, I've yet to read a passage where his interactions don't come off as a game of some kind, or where he places emphasis on dynamics that don't seem to add to the point. It's as if he's trying to convince the reader of his prowess by way of his ability to mesmerise his interlocutors. He could just let the dialogues stand for what they are and allow the reader to interpret them, but instead he gives them this added touch of, "watch me mess with this person's head."
When I showed your revised passage to Sue, her first impression was that he was displaying the mind of a pedophile.
That's actually what I thought as I was constructing it. There was a sense of domination in it. Indeed, there's a sense of domination in all his interactions. Could just be his writing style, though. But, for him not to sense that, if that were the case, says something about his depth of appreciation for psychology.
I can understand what she means. The subtext of his writings is that he enjoys preying on the minds of people much younger than himself.
Well, to be fair, it could also just mean he sees more potential in young people, which is perfectly sound. But he does come across as a sort of high IQ type that always wants to dominate people with their intellect, which in his case would be his.......not sure what to type here....
Another passage:
"Mystical union, being at one with the universe, the direct experience of the infinite. Bliss, ecstasy--a taste of heaven. Beyond time, beyond space, beyond the ability of any words to describe. The peace that surpasseth all understanding."

This is laughable. McKenna spends his days daydreaming about his impact on others as a spiritual guru and even writes fictitiously about the profound effect he has on others, and then he has the presumption to shudder at the thought of being a guru.

Who is he trying to kid?
Yes, he comes across poorly in that moment. I guess he would say he pushes their buttons for purer reasons; that he does so to help them break free of their delusional chains. But really, there are ways other than pushing buttons and setting people up for a fall to achieve that. They have to jump rather than be pushed. Frankly, a genuinely intelligent person would see his method and tell him to fuck off.
He also writes:
How my words are received or what becomes of them after they leave my lips is beyond my ability to control. I speak, that's all. The words flow like song and soothe me. That's my thing. Nodding and maintaining a facial expression that conveys interest and receptiveness is his thing. I'm into the speaking--into my words and how well they represent the underlying ideas. It would be nice to believe that my words were clicking in his mind like the beads of an abacus, but I know they're not and I'm comfortable with that.
It sounds like he is trying to hypnotize himself here.
I don't have any real issue with that passage other than the fact that he states that he knows his words aren't getting through, yet he continues with his game. If that doesn't indicate an attachment to the game, I don't know what does.
Who in their right mind would write such rubbish?
It's no wonder he likes young women. He is one! Oh, and in the midst of this, I found:

Spiritual-Enlightenment-The-Damndest-Thing
I can't bring myself to go on. There is too much sickness in McKenna's writing to deal with.

Dan, you wrote:
Well, he needs to stop fantasizing and daydreaming for a start. The sexual dynamic is powered by such indulgences. He needs to stop worrying about how he is being perceived by others and how he is impacting on them. Above all, he needs to resolve his self-esteem issues.
That's the funny thing. He claims he doesn't care, yet he goes to great lengths to describe how he is being seen and how he is impacting and being impacted upon. Once you are aware of this in his writing, it becomes more and more significant, and distracting.

I'm finding his works full of incongruities, full of emotions and subtle emotionalisms. Unfortunately the style of writing he's chosen to frame his ideas in tends to lead to this as a matter of course. It means there's far too much for people to like in his books and far too little to dislike and be challenged by.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Dan,
It's no wonder he likes young women. He is one!
But women don't like women -- they like men.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Dave and Dan,
According to Jed he does not obstruct the universe by doing deliberate actions.

Your stance on his interaction with the girl seems to moralistic and preachy. I believe his response would be: this is how the universe played out the interaction, what is there to be so uptight about it.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I agree he'd probably react that way, and I get the point, but it shows a lack of skill in means to me. But then, it's also obvious that Jed just has no conscious sense of purpose or anything remotely like that.

It's an inane sense of what a wise person does, frankly. That shows in his stated belief that a wise person lacks any sense of purpose (book 2) and that he actually feels "lost" in a sense. Without a sense of purpose and without some sense of skill in means, his interactions with others, and his judgements of such, become even more bizarre to me.
mystex

Post by mystex »

That strikes me as pure gibberish. Who's to judge what is sane and insane? Certainly not me, and certainly not some outside authority, some objective perspective. Only hindsight.
lol
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

maestro wrote:Dave and Dan,
According to Jed he does not obstruct the universe by doing deliberate actions.

Your stance on his interaction with the girl seems to moralistic and preachy. I believe his response would be: this is how the universe played out the interaction, what is there to be so uptight about it.
Our stance isn't moralistic or preachy as such, but it is judgmental and analytical. It is the very least we can do towards a man who claims high standards for himself by pronouncing himself enlightened and qualified to teach others.

Analyzing psychology is part and parcel of philosophy. It is a key tool to prevent one from deceiving oneself.

No amount of justification on McKenna's part can hide the sleazy nature of his ego, his rampant self-indulgences and the disrespect he displays towards others, particularly females. If he tries to palm this off as being the universe's doing, then I have even less respect for him.

-
Animus

Post by Animus »

Why does causal determinism make people amoral? It made me supra-moral, or über-moral.

Its caused me to see that our Just-us system is actually immoral with a facade of upholding morality.

I've read that "penitentiary" originates as an apostolic "tribal of mercy" within the Roman Catholic Church. Originally designed for penance. As such, a process of realization/growth is necessary. However fallacious the Roman Catholic church may be, this is paramount to the extant methods of the western nations which consists of incarcerating individuals in intellectually and socially impoverished environments with an emphasis on retribution. Mind you, consulting the victim isn't necessary, retribution is given for the whims of the society at large. Anyway, we'll save that for another thread...
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

Dan Rowden wrote:It's no wonder he likes young women. He is one!
Ha ha, I never thought of that. Maybe that is why I resonated so much with him. Damn!

Whenever he comes off as sleazy or solipsistic, I sort of see it as him trying to demonstrate to the rest of us that the universe has no agenda...you know, this floaty feeling of freedom that I imagine "wise" people feel.
Dan Rowden wrote:I agree he'd probably react that way, and I get the point, but it shows a lack of skill in means to me. But then, it's also obvious that Jed just has no conscious sense of purpose or anything remotely like that.

It's an inane sense of what a wise person does, frankly. That shows in his stated belief that a wise person lacks any sense of purpose (book 2) and that he actually feels "lost" in a sense. Without a sense of purpose and without some sense of skill in means, his interactions with others, and his judgements of such, become even more bizarre to me.
An inane sense of what a wise person does? I wonder if you could explain that a bit more, Dan. You see Jed as without a sense of purpose (other than writing these books) - but what do you mean by "purpose"? For example, in your mind does the universe have a "purpose"? Does life? What is YOUR purpose?

After spending time at the CSS (Center for Sacred Sciences) I was getting the notion that the very idea that my life had to have meaning and purpose was what was keeping me from seeing reality. So now I suppose I have a knee-jerk reaction to any idea of purpose, meaning... I guess that is a very feminine view, along the lines of the "everything-is-hunky-dory" outlook. Any thoughts on this?
rebecca702

Post by rebecca702 »

David Quinn wrote:No amount of justification on McKenna's part can hide the sleazy nature of his ego, his rampant self-indulgences and the disrespect he displays towards others, particularly females. If he tries to palm this off as being the universe's doing, then I have even less respect for him.
So are you saying here that he's trying to use the ends to justify the means? Being immoral to show that the universe is amoral? Just trying to shake people up and be some kind of supa-dupa anti-guru while being just an inverted perversion, stuck in the same paradigm?