How does one become smart?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Carl G

Re: How does one become smart?

Post by Carl G »

Mr.Shadow wrote:Yes Carl I was in a hurry.

I have to ask this question. Why is fluoride harmful to brain cells?
I see you completely changed your post while I was composing my response. As to your question here, just Google "Fluoride harmful" and such links as this one will come up.
Good Citizen Carl
Mr.Shadow

Post by Mr.Shadow »

Well I sent that then I thought wait google it .Doh
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

I'm not trying to be mean or arrogant, but I had to read this sentence many times before I got it. The lack of punctuation really threw me off.

You need to be more mindful when you write. You assume you are making sense to the readers, but that is not always the case. Plus, you are making us make too much of an effort to parse your ungrammatical sentences.

Is English not your first language? If not, consider taking an English course or two.
Mr.Shadow

Post by Mr.Shadow »

This is the first forum I have been a member of that give a dang about proper punctuation. Even when I make a quick post like I just did.I get told you need to write better. This is going to be different for sure.
A learning experience that’s what I am here for.
I have looked at other post and they are written wrong or miss spelled and don’t get near the attention I have. Anyway I guess I will have to be extra careful that way everyone can read my writing.
Tomas

Fluoride In Your Toothpaste

Post by Tomas »

-Tomas Note-
The name were changed to protect the guilty.

-Generation X-

-tomas-
Despite protestations from the Speak-N-Spell crowd, I got what you said right off the bat!

You young whippersnappers with all your gizmos leave us old geezers in the dust :-/

Obviously, you were educated in a Blue State :-)

-The Old Nag whose pushin' 50-
I'm not trying to be mean or arrogant,

-tomas-
I wouldda not prefaced with that..

-The Geezette-
but I had to read this sentence many times before I got it.

-tomas-
Men are from Mars .. Womyn are from Venuz

-The Wonkette-
The lack of punctuation really threw me off.

-tomas-
It's not the gist of the matter, but the presentation. You're too expensive in your selection of eateries. Pizza Hut works for me .. or Chinese buffets - all you can eat! (jus' be sure to place that napkin on your lap soon as you sit down)

-The Tutorette ain't done yette-
You need to be more mindful when you write.

-tomas-
A little more condescension does the ego good.

-Genius Gal pens even more-
You assume you are making sense to the readers,

-tomas-
Let's pile on the newbie even more!

-The Moderator-
but that is not always the case.

-tomas-
Didn't your momma teach you anything?

-The Red State Girl-
Plus, you are making us make too much of an effort to parse your ungrammatical sentences.

-tomas-
Note the "us" group-think. We are all Obama-maniacs around these parts - mess with "us" and it's a one-way ticket to Gitmo, the Cuban paradise..

-Lunatic Fringe-
Is English not your first language?

-tomas-
"We" (the Ivy League-urbane) chased off another newcomer (deathnotewithurname) a couple weeks ago because he didn't conform to "us" way of thinking .. we love Orwell around here, it's 1984 now that Brother Barack is "us" man-with-the-plan (final solution).

-Barack's Gal Pal-
If not, consider taking an English course or two.

-tomas-
It doesn't matter that the Prez-elect ain't natural-born, "us" write the rules as "we" go along in these parts .. (we love the ball and chain theory)

The Party of the Left is now the Party of the Right. Won't get fooled again. The Who

PS - When a newcomer shows up, we don't employ the Private Message .. we just go for the kill :-)

Enjoy your short time here, no second chances allowed by "us".

Another Brick In The Wall

Don't run to your death
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Mr.Shadow wrote:This is the first forum I have been a member of that give a dang about proper punctuation. Even when I make a quick post like I just did.I get told you need to write better. This is going to be different for sure.
A learning experience that’s what I am here for.
I have looked at other post and they are written wrong or miss spelled and don’t get near the attention I have. Anyway I guess I will have to be extra careful that way everyone can read my writing.
There are a couple of reasons for that. First, often only the first several posts get scrutinized. This is because the some of us have trouble taking new members seriously if they are too difficult to read or too lazy to pay attention to how they post. If they are going to be regulars, it's better to make them aware that readability counts in a forum where the subjects are often abstruse to begin with. Second, you implicitly asked to be given this advice in the title of the thread.

For instance, while complaining about being corrected, you say:
This should read:
"I have looked at other posts and they are written incorrectly or misspelled and don't get nearly the attention mine have. Anyway, I guess I will have to be extra careful. That way everyone can read my writing."

Don't worry, though. Tomas is always eager to brown-nose new members to try to win friends. He'll tell you he like the way you post. He doesn't really, though. He's just trying to be contrary to everyone else.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Tomas posted while I composed my response. What did I tell you? He criticizes everyone else. Another prediction: if you stick around long enough, he'll give you a cute, clever nickname and be making fun of you like he does to everyone else except the admins. He sucks up to the admins. This is because he never has anything to offer, so he puts down people who do, and because he is a two-faced jackal.
Mr.Shadow

Post by Mr.Shadow »

Thanks for the thoughts and concerns everyone.
I will try very hard to be a good kind person to all that answer my post.
Tomas

How does one gargle with fluoride?

Post by Tomas »

-Mr.Shadow-
I have to ask this question. Why is fluoride harmful to brain cells?

As to your question here, just Google "Fluoride harmful" and such links as this one will come up.

-tomas-
Toothpaste has major fluoride.

Drinking water (call and ask if your city adds this). This includes fluoride when you shower - a chemical change happens when these this chemical is "heated" up - the spray of your showerhead creates the mist that one breathes in - also soaks into the skin. Ditto for clothes/laundry/dishes.

And, another is chlorine, it's as nasty as fluoride. Plenty of spin-off cancers from this seemingly-harmless additive.

Oddly, (but maybe not in big brother-speak), fluoride is a common additive of psychiatric drugs.. look for the preface of 'fluoro' if on any meds.

Being an old country boy, the farmers (many not all) add fluoride to the cattle water to keep them from 'spooking' (stampede) so easily .. how it makes its way to your kitchen table -ala- milk, butter, steak take your choice.

Free range cattle, chickens etc are the best way (other than raising your own) to avoid fluoride additives.

Jezuz, time to move to the European countries, most fluoride in water systems banned there.

Dunno about Australia.

We have a reverse-osmosis filtration system for our house. Houseplants, coffee, laundry, dishes, the lawn - all RO-system.

Expensive at 2 cents a gallon but worth it.

Americans - what a beautiful choice.
(wouldn't wanna be like you)

Don't run to your death
Dan Rowden

Re: How does one gargle with fluoride?

Post by Dan Rowden »

Tomas wrote:.Jezuz, time to move to the European countries, most fluoride in water systems banned there.

Dunno about Australia.
Brisbane is about to have its water supply fluoridated. As you'd expect, in a faux-democracy, the public wasn't given a chance to decide if it wanted to be mass medicated.

It's bottled water for this little black duck.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Shadow,

This forum is about enlightenment. Do you want to be wise or just smart and knowledgeable? They are not the same thing.
Matt Gregory

Re: How does one gargle with fluoride?

Post by Matt Gregory »

Dan Rowden wrote:
Tomas wrote:.Jezuz, time to move to the European countries, most fluoride in water systems banned there.

Dunno about Australia.
Brisbane is about to have its water supply fluoridated. As you'd expect, in a faux-democracy, the public wasn't given a chance to decide if it wanted to be mass medicated.

It's bottled water for this little black duck.
I don't know why people are so freaked out by fluoridated water. I've lived in the city and the suburbs and drank fluoridated water my entire life and I haven't had any problems.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

That you know of ;) There's lots of evidence to suggest it's not good for you and little that it actually does what it's supposed to do. Besides which, I'm not convinced our water supply should be medicated. It has to be purified as well as possible, of course, but that's different.
Mr.Shadow

Post by Mr.Shadow »

I wish to become smart and knowledgeable.To become wise comes with age and experience.That will come as I age.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

No it won't. That wisdom comes with age is one of the dumbest things people think.
Mr.Shadow

Post by Mr.Shadow »

This is really a good read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

That's a description of worldly wisdom, which is essentially made up of the talent to apply delusional thinking effectively in a delusional world.

This place is about philosophical or spiritual wisdom which is an entirely different thing.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

That's a description of worldly wisdom, which is essentially made up of the talent to apply delusional thinking effectively in a delusional world.
If my thinking is delusional, yet it helps me make very accurate predictions, in what sense do you find it meaningful to call it delusional?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Delusional thinking is delusional thinking. That one can make accurate predictions using it in a delusional world is to be expected. But, it depends on what you're talking about, precisely.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

My mum made me have a flouride tablet each day on top of the flouridized water, up until I was of high school age. eek.
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

DHodges wrote:Put aside all cleverness.
What a clever thing to say!
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

Dan Rowden wrote:That's a description of worldly wisdom, which is essentially made up of the talent to apply delusional thinking effectively in a delusional world.

This place is about philosophical or spiritual wisdom which is an entirely different thing.
So, you are the one who decides what is delusional thinking and what is not. Way back when I believe it was considered delusional thinking to believe that all solid matter is not made of anything solid. You OBVIOUSLY would have been one of the people certain that it was delusional thinking to believe solid matter was actually made of nothing solid whatsoever. You would have been (((WRONG!!))

So, are you still certain just what is delusional thinking and what is not? You most probably believe The Secret is the product of delusional thnkers trying to make money from the ignorant, don't you?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Dan,
Sher: If my thinking is delusional, yet it helps me make very accurate predictions, in what sense do you find it meaningful to call it delusional?

Dan: Delusional thinking is delusional thinking. That one can make accurate predictions using it in a delusional world is to be expected. But, it depends on what you're talking about, precisely.
I was trying to speak in general, but maybe I should give an example. I am driving down the road and I see what looks like a large cement object 30 feet in front of me. My deluded thinking leads me to believe the object exists, and is really solid matter, so I predict that if I don't stop the car, or drive around it, I will hit it and the impact will be enough to ruin my car, and if I'm going fast enough, it might even kill me. So I drive around the object to avoid it. My delusions caused me to make accurate predictions and saved my car and/or myself from severe damage.

-
Renaissance

Post by Renaissance »

Shahrazad wrote:Dan,
Sher: If my thinking is delusional, yet it helps me make very accurate predictions, in what sense do you find it meaningful to call it delusional?

Dan: Delusional thinking is delusional thinking. That one can make accurate predictions using it in a delusional world is to be expected. But, it depends on what you're talking about, precisely.
I was trying to speak in general, but maybe I should give an example. I am driving down the road and I see what looks like a large cement object 30 feet in front of me. My deluded thinking leads me to believe the object exists, and is really solid matter, so I predict that if I don't stop the car, or drive around it, I will hit it and the impact will be enough to ruin my car, and if I'm going fast enough, it might even kill me. So I drive around the object to avoid it. My delusions caused me to make accurate predictions and saved my car and/or myself from severe damage.

-
And then you suddenly realized that you were actually driving a Fun Factory archade ride and not on the road at all.

That cement object was actually made of one's and zeros 1010110010101001010010101100 on a small television screen
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Shahrazad wrote:Dan,

-
That doesn't constitute deluded thinking.