Men of the Infinite

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dan Rowden

Men of the Infinite

Post by Dan Rowden »

Warning: this is a temporary thread and will be deleted in roughly 72 hours (so don't say anything meaningful).

Many for you might be aware that I have started a Youtube channel called Men of the Infinite. The content will be familiar to you all so there's no need to subscribe to it unless you like pretty pictures. The reason for this thread is that I am considering a musical intro and exit theme. My own taste in music tends to suck lemons so I don't really trust myself on this count. If any of you can think of a piece of music you believe would be suitable as a theme for philosophical discourses, please contact me by email or PM and let me know. It needs to be something I can use over and over that won't grate for the viewer over time.

danrowden@geniusrealms.com

And no, Tomas, Campbell's "Wichita Lineman" is not the sort of thing I have in mind, but thanks anyway :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MenoftheInfinite

Thanks in advance.
Kevin Solway

Re: Men of the Infinite

Post by Kevin Solway »

You could use a bit of the intro from Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond" (long version).

PS, I think the intro should be very short, as people want to get the meat quickly, without having to wade through padding.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hmm, that's a really good option. A top 5 contender, even in the absence of another 4. And I agree it should be short and merely be heard over the initial intro and exit slides. Assuming I decide to go that way at all.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Of course, I could never object to Kevin’s superb recommendation. A contemporary inspiration; deeply meaningful in one instant hit. And I wouldn’t EVER object to it. However, I would suggest a piece of either of these for consideration:

Johann Sebastian Bach
Franz Joseph Haydn

Hardly anything could beat a Rostropovich cello line; blue ribbon in a rippling breeze…

Classical music promotes a mature taste, like that required in philosophy, that blossoms with time. The more you hear it, the more meaningful, the more beautiful it becomes.
Between Suicides
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Pink Floyd would've been my first suggestion.

Cat Stevens could be a good minimalist option if that's the impression you want to give.

Or something like Tool if you want a more modern approach.

This is a good 'all rounder' good toe tapper, innocuous, and vaguely familiar to everyone. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfM6nRVBvGs not that 'spiritual' however.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Why not different music for each? I liked that in the reasoning show. Invokes a specific mood.

Sex and Ideality: David Bowie, "Sense of Doubt" (Heroes album).
Architects and Builders of Self-Deceit: Philip Glass, "Prelude" (Akhnaten).
Hypocrisy: Philip Glass, "Morning Passages" (The Hours, soundtrack).
Time to Evolve: Philip Glass, "Music with changing parts" (album has same title, 1 track only).
What it means to be a man: Charles Du Cane, "Dead man running" (not sure what the album is).
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Anything off of Radiohead's Kid A album -

Treefingers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBjk10F6SsA

Idioteque (intro) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9UkgkzUkUA
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Thanks Steven, those are good options, especially the first.

Leyla - the first cello piece is now number 2 on my list.

Ataraxia, um, no thanks.

Jason - fuck you, arsehole :)

Kelly - it's hard enough finding pics let alone music for every vid, so I won't be doing that. Though your suggestions are interesting.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

It'd be less work to speak directly to a camera. It can be done artistically ( e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7izJggqCoA ).

If you think that is too confronting, a dialogue or interview ( e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Mlpr7Ojto).

Yes, it'd require a video camera... Not a hard situation to get around.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Talking to camera makes you the focus of attention. I frankly don't think it works that well. Hitchens, btw, is an arrogant shit.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Dan Rowden wrote:Talking to camera makes you the focus of attention. I frankly don't think it works that well. Hitchens, btw, is an arrogant shit.
And that mumbling delivery of his drives me crazy. I'm interested in hearing his points, which he delivers nice and clearly. His lead-ins and the rest of his arguments are barely audible. His brother does that as well, to a lesser degree. But this thread is about the theme music for Men of the Infinite. Never fear, Dan. I'm on it.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It's ok, I think I've made my choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ddz-rRI16k
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Speaking in person focussing on you, but so do images focus on you, your personality, your intentions, aesthetic preferences. I am wondering why someone chooses to remain invisible while sharing such profound and challenging remarks. So I am more focussed on the speaker who is invisible, because he is asking me to trust him more. Why should I trust him?

You could try a voice-over of your thoughts, with images of you wandering about in your everyday life, interspersed with 'voice-captioned' images.

Hitchens isn't a wise man. I suggested the two videos for the examples of speaking in person, using some interesting editing techniques.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Very tasty, Ataraxia old boy. But as awesome as the Allman Joys are, I do believe Dan had something a tad more serious in mind.
DHodges

Musical Men of the Infinite

Post by DHodges »

Dan Rowden wrote:It's ok, I think I've made my choice:

Wow, he must be enlightened. Look at that beard!

Did you notice the comments calling him a genius?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Kelly Jones wrote:Speaking in person focussing on you, but so do images focus on you, your personality, your intentions, aesthetic preferences.
If that happens it's because a person has a deep issue which will make them blind to the message anyway.
I am wondering why someone chooses to remain invisible while sharing such profound and challenging remarks.
Because it's not about a person. (I made that clear in the intro to the channel).
So I am more focussed on the speaker who is invisible, because he is asking me to trust him more. Why should I trust him?
Why does trust adhere because there's a face? What you're suggesting is a form of ad hominem. Think about it.
You could try a voice-over of your thoughts, with images of you wandering about in your everyday life, interspersed with 'voice-captioned' images.
Buy and mail me a camera.
Hitchens isn't a wise man. I suggested the two videos for the examples of speaking in person, using some interesting editing techniques.
I like Hitchens a lot, actually, but he is still an arrogant shit. His politics disgust me. You might be interested in the fact that he recently subjected himself to water boarding and changed his mind about torture thereafter. It's important to realise how much hot air emanates from his lungs.
Dan Rowden

Re: Musical Men of the Infinite

Post by Dan Rowden »

DHodges wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:It's ok, I think I've made my choice:

Wow, he must be enlightened. Look at that beard!

Did you notice the comments calling him a genius?
Some people do consider Roy Wood a musical genius. He was instrumental in the creation of ELO, among other bands. It's all a matter of taste.
Pye

Post by Pye »

All due consideration to the nature of your project, Dan; however, this pandering to the visual-graphic shortness of attention span (music 'n all) is most certainly a heaping concession to the postmodernism you profess to abhor ;)

The "wisdom" of marketing, I guess . . . .
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Dude, that's David Quinn naked?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Pye wrote:All due consideration to the nature of your project, Dan; however, this pandering to the visual-graphic shortness of attention span (music 'n all) is most certainly a heaping concession to the postmodernism you profess to abhor ;)

The "wisdom" of marketing, I guess . . . .
Yes, I confess it's only about marketing, Youtube "n'all". It's the place to be. What alternatives would you suggest, Pye?
Pye

Post by Pye »

Just a comment, Dan. As the postmodern mantra goes, "the medium is the message." I guess one will have to conform to the noise if one wants to stand out within it.

Of course, not-conforming has its stand-out qualities, too.

. . . but just a comment. All due considerations for what you're trying to do. Trying to reach a larger audience is just that - trying to reach a larger audience. One does what one must, in order to.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ha! The sound track from the Mission -I have that album. Excellent music and some fantastic Gregorian style pieces. I totally forgot it - thanks, Dave.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Coolangubra - you'll need to get better audio though.