Judging Others

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Blair

Re: Judging Others

Post by Blair »

Buddy, you aren't even close to being enlightened.

Give up the charade, for your own good. Your ego, as little as you may see it as? is gigantic.
Fujaro

Appeal to Enlightenment

Post by Fujaro »

prince wrote:Buddy, you aren't even close to being enlightened.

Give up the charade, for your own good. Your ego, as little as you may see it as? is gigantic.
I take it you have been certified over here as an enlightened one in the A=A church?

PS: Please interpret this question as a strictly non-judging one.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Fujaro, what's your opinion of mikiel, based on say, the last 3 of his posts in this thread? Do you consider his replies enlightened?
A mindful man needs few words.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Fujaro, what's your opinion of mikiel, based on say, the last 3 of his posts in this thread? Do you consider his replies enlightened?
General question, Trev-
is it possible to be drunk on the truth? What do you think?
mikiel

Post by mikiel »

brokenhead asked TS:
is it possible to be drunk on the truth? What do you think?
Drunk? If humans are bio-robotic programed units before awakening and free beings after, would you call this freedom (classical "liberation") drunkenness?
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

brokenhead wrote:is it possible to be drunk on the truth? What do you think?
No. At most a person can be drunk on false expectations for truth, which are still delusions.
Fujaro

Post by Fujaro »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Fujaro, what's your opinion of mikiel, based on say, the last 3 of his posts in this thread? Do you consider his replies enlightened?
I have no judgement on someone on the other side of the globe I don't really know based on three posts. It does not seem right to me to judge others on expressed opinions alone. And what I observe is that the name calling (with strong words like 'hypocryte' and alike) got out of hand considerably prior to that 3 posts. This whole thread reveals an interesting facet of GF for a relative outsider as me: the unbalance between claimed enlightenedment and enlightenedment in practice. I'm afraid the world peace talks will take longer than hoped for.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Fujaro wrote:And what I observe is that the name calling (with strong words like 'hypocryte' and alike) got out of hand considerably prior to that 3 posts.
So, are you sure he is not a hypocrite? Or, if he is, are people not allowed to call him one?
Fujaro

Post by Fujaro »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:
Fujaro wrote:And what I observe is that the name calling (with strong words like 'hypocryte' and alike) got out of hand considerably prior to that 3 posts.
So, are you sure he is not a hypocrite? Or, if he is, are people not allowed to call him one?
Please reread my answer. It's all in there.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

This was late coming, but alas, it is here:
Dan Rowden wrote: What I'm doing, primarily, is rejecting all conventional ideas of morality - which spring from false sources. But really, "moral" judgements for a wise person are indistinguishable from logical judgements, so the label "moral" seems redundant to me, and echos false mindstates. They are just judgements, discernments. One wouldn't classify the judgement that a Phillips head screwdriver is a bad tool to use for a standard slot screw as a moral one.
Moral judgments are more fundamental, as they tell us whether or not we should be taking any kind of action to begin with. For instance, if the reason you are faced with the task of using screwdrivers is because you are putting together (or fixing) a barb-E-Q - then there is a moral judgment which underpins this task. Namely, you have judged that it's good to buy/fix a barb-e-Q. (e.g., I ought to have a barb-e-Q because it would give me more happiness). Or maybe you decide not to (I ought not to have a barb-e-Q because it would titillate the evil that is my ego)
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

mikiel wrote:What would it take to convince you that I am an absolute truth teller?
Telling some truth would be a start.

I'll be the judge of who's deluded around here if I'm the subject.
A person can't hide what he is. He reveals himself in everything that he says and does. A perceptive outsider can know more about a person at a glance than the person himself can with decades of unperceptive observation.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Fujaro wrote:I have no judgement on someone on the other side of the globe I don't really know based on three posts. It does not seem right to me to judge others on expressed opinions alone. And what I observe is that the name calling (with strong words like 'hypocryte' and alike) got out of hand considerably prior to that 3 posts. This whole thread reveals an interesting facet of GF for a relative outsider as me: the unbalance between claimed enlightenedment and enlightenedment in practice. I'm afraid the world peace talks will take longer than hoped for.
You're not judging people by their posts, by any chance?

Incidentally, why do you assume that enlightened people are concerned with things like peace?

-
Fujaro

Post by Fujaro »

David Quinn wrote: You're not judging people by their posts, by any chance?

Incidentally, why do you assume that enlightened people are concerned with things like peace?
-
No I'm judging the content of their argument.

I do admit however that I have used ad hominems myself, and that I probably cannot totally refrain from it in the future, I'm only too human, but that does not mean a judgement from me of the person involved.

About peace and enlightenment: I read it somewhere on GF, I can't recall where that was, but when I stumble on it again I will let you know. Is there a connection according to you?
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Fujaro wrote:
David Quinn wrote: You're not judging people by their posts, by any chance?

-
No I'm judging the content of their argument.

I do admit however that I have used ad hominems myself, and that I probably cannot totally refrain from it in the future, I'm only too human, but that does not mean a judgement from me of the person involved.

About peace and enlightenment: I read it somewhere on GF, I can't recall where that was, but when I stumble on it again I will let you know. Is there a connection according to you?
Poison for the Heart is a book which has partly inspired this forum, and here is what it has to say about violence:
Our violence

Where there is ego, there is violence. The two always exist together because they are actually one and the same.

Violence is usually kept below the surface where it manifests as hatred and fear. It surfaces as physical violence and war.

Our violent forms of entertainment act as a safety valve, releasing pent-up tension and stress, helping us to work off our inner violence and hatred in the relative safety of the imagination. If the stress is not released in this way the pressure of it will build up to a level where it can no longer be contained, and will burst forth destructively.

Thus, violent forms of entertainment help to keep ugliness from reaching the surface. But meanwhile, inside, the seething mass of delusion we call "the soul" is being perpetually exercised and strengthened. Through such entertainment the seeds of physical violence are sown, and the fruit is sure to follow. When that time comes the release valves of wit and distraction will not be enough to cope.

There is only a hairsbreadth between the imagination and physical reality. It doesn't take much to push one into a mental state of no longer wishing to draw-up the line that separates the two. When the going gets tough, we do not hesitate to make our own reality. When desperate, we cannot afford to stop to consider the niceties of social behaviour and the rights of others. Happiness is a matter of life and death!

Do not think you can avoid the violent end. Your time will come when things change - and change is the way of Nature. Your happiness will come and go as Nature breathes in and out.

We are all murderers. Perhaps you have not yet murdered. Does this make you exempt? You may not have murdered, but have you been pressured to do so? Only when we are pushed to our limits do we reveal ourselves for who we really are.

Violence is very easy to understand. The ego feels it has a fundamental right to happiness, and will destroy anything that stands in its way. This may mean killing a mosquito - or a person. Yes, to kill even a mosquito out of anger reveals the mind of a murderer. So I say, where there is ego, and the hatred of suffering, there is violence.
mikiel

Post by mikiel »

David Quinn wrote:
mikiel wrote:What would it take to convince you that I am an absolute truth teller?

A person can't hide what he is. He reveals himself in everything that he says and does. A perceptive outsider can know more about a person at a glance than the person himself can with decades of unperceptive observation.

-
This looks like a good time/place for direct Q&A clarification.

Upon what exactly do you base your accusation that I am lying?

I have nothing to hide. The truth as I know it is revealed in my words here. Radical honesty, especially in direct confrontation of egocentricity (holding it to the Fire) looks (especially to the defensive ego so confronted) like anger.
I have not actually been angry since my awakening. And speaking openly of my awakening is also radically honerst... breaking protocol with social expectations around "humility."

Do you really think you know me better "at a glance" than I know myself? You seem unfamiliar with what transcendence is, but I've spent about 14,000 hours in that realm, able to observe my life from totally objective perspective, in spite of your apparent belief that such is not possible.
If you do, your delusion is one of the most grandiose I've ever encountered in my whole career as a psychotherapist.

BTW, speaking of direct questions, I posed one to you in my "cosmology" thread.
mikiel

Post by mikiel »

So... whenever I challenge Dan or David to come up with some evidence to back up their accusations that I am lying... about... ? whatever, they clam up and and put me on "ignore."

It's put up or shut up at this point. There is no argument against the Truth. And there is certainly no point in arguing that the facts I share about my personal/transpersonal life are lies.
I think it was Sam Clemens who said: "Better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Good move, boys, but it's a helluva lame tactic for debate.

Gone again for a few days.... or.... ?
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

mikiel, a person can lie and still speak the truth. An example of this is sarcasm from someone who believes in a falsehood. Lying is the opposite of honesty, not the opposite of truthfulness.

You should be asking David why he thinks you are speaking falsehoods.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

mikiel wrote:
David Quinn wrote:
This looks like a good time/place for direct Q&A clarification.

Upon what exactly do you base your accusation that I am lying?

I don't think you consciously try to lie. It is more a case of not having enough ability to tell the truth due to some large mental blocks, an over-inflated opinion of yourself, and a lack of insight into your own psychology and behaviour. Your belief in your perfect enlightenment has unwittingly become your prison.

Do you really think you know me better "at a glance" than I know myself? You seem unfamiliar with what transcendence is, but I've spent about 14,000 hours in that realm, able to observe my life from totally objective perspective, in spite of your apparent belief that such is not possible.
If you do, your delusion is one of the most grandiose I've ever encountered in my whole career as a psychotherapist.

"You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes, nor figs from thistles." - Jesus.

-
Fujaro

Post by Fujaro »

David Quinn wrote:I don't think you consciously try to lie. It is more a case of not having enough ability to tell the truth due to some large mental blocks, an over-inflated opinion of yourself, and a lack of insight into your own psychology and behaviour. Your belief in your perfect enlightenment has unwittingly become your prison.
This imho is a severe case of mindreading.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

No more so than judging a bible-thumping, frothing-of-the-mouth Christian fundamentalist to be seriously deluded.

-
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

David Quinn wrote:No more so than judging a bible-thumping, frothing-of-the-mouth Christian fundamentalist to be seriously deluded.

-
Good point, David.
Fujaro

Post by Fujaro »

David Quinn wrote:No more so than judging a bible-thumping, frothing-of-the-mouth Christian fundamentalist to be seriously deluded.
Ah, I see you agree that it is mindreading and that you have found a reason for this one special oscasion to indulge in it. Excellent!
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

It isn't mind-reading, but the mundane act of observing actions and words and drawing conclusions from them.

-
Fujaro

Post by Fujaro »

David Quinn wrote:It isn't mind-reading, but the mundane act of observing actions and words and drawing conclusions from them.

-
It's that gran' ole hotline with god, that hits us with apriori knowledge ;-)
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Fujaro, it looks like David might have been making a judgement based on observation, not logic alone, which he does from time to time.