A Strategy For Sages to Survive as Travelling Vagrants

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Cory Duchesne

Re: A Strategy For Sages to Survive as Travelling Vagrants

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Ryan,
Where did you come up with the notion that utilitarian philosophers are not men of action?
I wasn't really referring to the particular ethical philosophy of utilitarianism. I was going by the dictionary definition of ‘utilitarian’ which means ‘usefulness’.

Our moral values are ends, and our non-moral judgments are the means to reach preferred ends.

So, that which is useful isn't necessarily good in itself, but rather, it is the means to reach that good.

Consider a car. Cars aren't in themselves good, but in certain circumstances, they can be a useful means to a preferred end.

But, on the other hand, you're right - the boundary I'm creating between non-moral and moral judgments is ultimately illusory. Moral judgments are the roots from which our non-moral judgments stem (and vice versa)
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan wrote:
I have observed that Diebert, Carl G, Kevin, David, and myself all fundamentally disagree with Sam's present philosophical outlook, and I would say that the five of us probably represent the highest quality thoughts on the forum,
You tell it, bro'.
Good Citizen Carl
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-Rudy-
I have observed that Diebert, Carl G, Kevin, David, and myself all fundamentally disagree with Sam's present philosophical outlook,

-tomas-
Paint the horizon!

-Rudy-
and I would say that the five of us probably represent the highest quality thoughts on the forum,

-tomas-
Well, Dan, you carry your own bags. You ride coach...

-Peanut Gallery-
You tell it, bro'.

Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Oh Sam, Sam, Sam,

How very odd this pace is! What a peculiar little dead end in the labyrinth of hell. You must stay!

Didja see the one where I said a lot of the people in hell stay there because they don't want out? Yet we must try to help them.

Moreover, from previous discussions, I have observed that Diebert, Cory, Kevin, David, and myself all fundamentally disagree with Sam's present philosophical outlook, and I would say that the five of us probably represent the highest quality thoughts on the forum, so Sam must either admit the generality of the criticism across the board, and begin reflecting on the quality of his own thoughts, or move on.

As Diebert implied, this is more than just a causal entertainment, it is a serious place of intellectual development, this is probably one of the only intellectual meeting places for the most developed minds in the world, and we should only be investing our intellectual resources into those that deserve it. And at some point, forum members must be abandoned..blah, blah, blah....
Oh, please! I just ate.

Oh, and that silly Sam with nothing of value to impart just eloquently showed you one of the fundamental spiritual errors of mankind yesterday, but it flew right over the cuckoos' nest.
Truth is a pathless land.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

"Oh, and that silly Sam with nothing of value to impart just eloquently showed you one of the fundamental spiritual errors of mankind yesterday, but it flew right over the cuckoos' nest."

Never fear, noble Iolaus, last night I lovingly sanded the gashes out of my '2x4 of depth instruction', oiled it up with a lovely walnut stain, attached silver and gold tassels to it even, and let it sit all night on my altar to Loki, all in preparation to bash-in the puffed-up heads of our more notorious boy-neurotics. What I've noticed is that, with relevant chastening, they seem to behave for a while and at least 'act sane', but then (as Ryan indicates) there is an eruption within the demented psychic-structure and the Delusions of Grandeur all rush back to the surface like a swarm of cockroaches. *Sigh*

If they could see their core relatedness with both Micky Eel and Amorphous Amanda, and if they could understand that these people come here, directly by God's Will, to show them, as a mirror will show, a disturbing facet of their own NutTiNeSs, well, there'd be some progress.
Ni ange, ni bête
infinitethoughts

Post by infinitethoughts »

Wow.
This thread went completely off topic ?!?
--
On topic.
I've always had the fun idea of getting credit card companies back at their own game. Which with their steadily increasing interest on our credit accounts (sometimes up to 22%) puts them smack dab in the company of fukin Loan Sharks. :-)

Take out 20 (or more) credit cards, max em out, and live off of that in a warm country where you can exist on pennies on the dollar.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

infinitethoughts wrote:Wow.
This thread went completely off topic ?!?
--
On topic.
I've always had the fun idea of getting credit card companies back at their own game. Which with their steadily increasing interest on our credit accounts (sometimes up to 22%) puts them smack dab in the company of fukin Loan Sharks. :-)

Take out 20 (or more) credit cards, max em out, and live off of that in a warm country where you can exist on pennies on the dollar.
Going off topic is what we do here.
infinitethoughts

Ohhh....ok.

But it's ok to put it back on topic once in awhile?

:-)
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

infinitethoughts wrote:Ohhh....ok.

Well, it wouldn't be very geniuslike to stay on topic for very long...
infinitethoughts

brokenhead wrote:
infinitethoughts wrote:Ohhh....ok.

Well, it wouldn't be very geniuslike to stay on topic for very long...
Sure, one could say that..... But from what I've seen the topic never got addressed fully.
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

The time is ripe to rename this place to Flowy Forum.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Infinitethoughts,
yeah, I had this idea once too. Moreover, if you build up your credit score, you can get an atrocious amount of money from the greedy credit card companies who unconsciously exploit man’s greed to satisfy their own. However, such a decision means that there is no turning back because it would totally destroy your credit, and if you wanted to return to civilization later on, you would be forced to file for bankruptcy, wait 7 years, and live with no credit at all. What is interesting is that to the best of my knowledge, I don’t believe there are any serious criminal penalties for not paying back credit cards.

Moreover, this sort of large scale scheme rarely happens to credit card companies because the people who would go through with it don’t have the credit score to pull off the stunt, while the ones who built up their score are very mainstream folk who are very cautious, conventional, and would never consider such a scheme. Most fraud is caused by criminals who steal credit cards #s, but not by individuals who build up their own scores as a means to take in as much money as possible from a large number of credit card companies. The plan goes against conventional psychology – perhaps this is why I considered it… but there are probably some consequences that I haven’t considered.

And overall, I would like to find a more honest way to travel as a vagrant for quite a few years, and living off of high dividend income trusts seems like the sanest option, given all the positive and negative consequences. However, with the present economic uncertainty globally, investments may be quite turbulent over the long-term, and may not prove as an adequate source of reliable income.

Brokenhead,
Going off topic is what we do here.

Btw, I felt it necessary to make known what I believe are the coldest, most rational and serious thinkers on the forum because it is quite easy for newcomers to be turned off by the madness and circus like behavior of GF. I think it should become common knowledge what regular posters represent the core values of GF, and we may want to even post a direct link on the main-page, suggesting: what the core values at GF are, and what regular members best represent those core values.

Moreover, the purpose of a forum such as this should be a serious meeting place of philosophical dialogue, and it should openly promote the highest rationality by making the advanced thinkers known. The problem I see with the present forum is that new male guests that stumble upon GF may not have the adequate judgment to realize what thinkers should be grouped together, and what thinkers should be grouped apart, and what thinkers represent the core values of why the forum was established in the first place.

If David, Kevin and Dan are seriously interested in cultivating new rationality in young male thinkers, then they must imagine how a newbie might be confused by the circus like behavior of GF, and so I believe it is the responsibility of the more advanced thinkers to imagine the problems newbies could have in their initial perceptions of GF, and how might those hurtles might be overcome. I also believe that the admins have largely ignored my idea of coming up with new ideas to draw young male minds to the forum, unless they took action without telling anyone. Moreover, my idea was to use a more mainstream site that gets millions of visitors as a means to target ripe young intellectual minds, and filter them into GF...
tek0

Post by tek0 »

Ryan Rudolph:
"Btw, I felt it necessary to make known what I believe is the coldest most rational and serious thinkers on the forum because it is quite easy for newcomers to be turned off by the madness and circus like behavior of GF. I think it should become common knowledge what regular posters represent the core values of GF, and we may want to even post a link on the main-page, suggesting: what the core values at GF are, and what regular members best represent those core values.

Moreover, the purpose of a forum such as this should be a serious meeting place of philosophical dialogue, and it should openly promote the highest rationality by making the advanced thinkers known. The problem I see with the present forum is that new male guests that stumble upon GF may not have the adequate judgment to realize what thinkers should be grouped together, and what thinkers should be grouped apart, and what thinkers represent the core values of why the forum was established in the first place.

If David, Kevin and Dan are seriously interested in cultivating new rationality in young male thinkers, then they must imagine how a newbie might be confused by the circus like behavior of GF, and so I believe it is the responsibility of the more advanced thinkers to imagine the problems newbies could have in their initial perceptions of GF, and how might those hurtles be overcome. I also believe that the admins have largely ignored my idea of coming up with new ideas to draw young male minds to the forum, unless they took action without telling anyone. Moreover, my idea was to use a more mainstream site that gets millions of visitors as a means to target ripe young intellectual minds, and filter them into GF.."
Ryan Rudolph

As far as attracting the minds most inclined to offer their own experiences with fresh insights occuring throughout that exchange of dialogue I agree with Ryan.

Everyone in the world knows that there are time standards no matter the zone all having to do with efficiency in human actions.

In this forum the exchange of ideas and thoughts pertaining to the nature of reality and how it is approached by those seeking to learn deeper facets of the human experience.

Can be summed up in some cases by the minds who through their more often than not sharp observations can cut to the heart of most genius forum matters at a glance or two.

There will almost always be room for debate on how best to approach any situation and no doubt their can be multiple correct answers, but perhaps we should all be more willing to pay extra special attention to those in this small community whose thoughts can be so conversation stopping.

Realizing the true value of things we have read or learned through private means is often a matter of hindsight and at some point most folks will realize that.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Ryan,
sam: This is nonsense. Why would someone who is enlightened judge anyone when they see no separation from anyone? There is no need to change anyone from that standpoint. You seem to think enlightenment is about being a critical parent. It isn't that.

Ryan: A wise teacher is both the critical parent, and the inquisitive child. What do you believe the role of the teacher is? Simply pretend we are all equal when we are clearly not, and preach about non-judgment, tolerance, and holding hands while singing along to our favorite peace ballad? I think you’ve smoked one too many dubes at rock concerts. Enlightened Philosophy is confrontational; it is an attack on values and emotions. It is a battle of the wits. It isn't this wishy washy, passive, non-confrontational new agey stuff that you preach.
Enlightenment is not about one upsmanship. A battle of wits is about egos, not enlightenment.
sam: It is also an emotion you feel you need to express in order to highlight your superiority.

Ryan: There is nothing inherently wrong or bad about recognizing the fact of inferiority and superiority in the world. You’re stance seems to be we should simply pretend it doesn’t exist because we are all one, and there is no separation. However, there are clearly people that I am superior to in the world, and there are clearly those who are superior to me, recognizing that fact brings with it a certain degree of humility and confidence, which you mistake for arrogance.
The ego knows itself by comparison with others. This is your game and you play it with a vengence.
Btw, That is horrible reasoning in the first passage– Let me get this straight, we are all one, therefore no change is needed, and no judgment is needed. That doesn’t make any sense.
A teacher has no need to change you. If you are interested in change, fine, but that's not the teacher's responsibility. She has no need to beat others over the head for ego gratification.
The fact is that imperfection is a reality, and imperfection can be changed. How? Through judgment and criticism.
Judgment and criticism elicit people's defenses. Why would a teacher want to make people defensive? If they are interested, she tries to help and guide them. If they are not interested, they can go somewhere else.
Btw, you are attempting to change what you believe is imperfection in me through judgment and criticism thus contradicting your original position: That moral Judgment is bad. You’re saying moral judgments are bad because I act so superior, but you believe your view of the world is superior also, or else you wouldn’t be judging me, and trying to influence me accordingly. You are in contradiction and a hypocrite as well.
Ah, you noticed. Do you also notice how you became defensive and rejected my judgments? Gee, what a surprise. Seems that you don't like to be judged, but doing the judging is another matter. Why is that?
Allow me to recap because you are not getting this - You’re inc contradiction because you are trying to change the way I think by saying that judgment is not necessary – but if judgment is not necessary, why are you trying to change me with judgment?
I am giving you what you give others so that you will take note of your reaction. You don't like being judged and you reject it. That is exactly how others react to you. But you don't notice it until it is done to you.
If there is no separation between us, and no change is necessary as you say, then that fact alone should make you content with the way I am, but you’re not. You are discontent with me, and so you attack my values in the same manner I attack yours.
I don't care if you change or not; you certainly won't change based on my views. I'm just giving you what you give others. You don't like it. That's good. You shouldn't like it. Maybe then you'll stop doing it.
You preach a feminine passivity by attacking my values aggressively, thus disproving your entire argument.
Weren't you the one who just said the philosophy is confrontational? Yet as soon as you are confronted, you scream about it, just as predicted. Funny how that works, isn't it? You argue vehemently against me all the while effortlessly proving my point.
If you cannot see this plain contradiction, you are incorrigibly insane, and I’m going to stop responding to your posts.
Who is the one is contradiction here, you or me?
Actually, Before you respond, read it over four or five times, and think back to what you wrote. Read it again, think back to your behavior, and then sit on it for a night thinking about how you're in contradiction, and how your philosophy has holes in it.
Lol. Your buffoonery never lets up, does it?
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Okay, I’ve concluded: Sam is incorrigible, and not worthy of response.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Ryan Rudolph wrote: yeah, I had this idea once too. Moreover, if you build up your credit score, you can get an atrocious amount of money from the greedy credit card companies who unconsciously exploit man’s greed to satisfy their own.
Rationalize it all you want mate.It's still theft.

This doesn't seem to me an attitude befititing a 'sage'
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Lol. Good riddance to you, Ryan.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:And overall, I would like to find a more honest way to travel as a vagrant for quite a few years, and living off of high dividend income trusts seems like the sanest option, given all the positive and negative consequences. However, with the present economic uncertainty globally, investments may be quite turbulent over the long-term, and may not prove as an adequate source of reliable income.
You aspire to be a hobo. Interesting. Not only a hobo, but one with an income.

And I thought my sights were set too high.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-Ryan goes criminal-
Yeah, I had this idea once too.

-tomas-
Like about when you started this thread?

-Ryan tutors the greenhorns-
Moreover, if you build up your credit score, you can get an atrocious amount of money from the greedy credit card companies who unconsciously exploit man's greed to satisfy their own.

-tomas-
"They" are not unconscious - you are!

-Ryan further pontificates-
However, such a decision means that there is no turning back because it would totally destroy your credit, and if you wanted to return to civilization later on, you would be forced to file for bankruptcy, wait 7 years, and live with no credit at all.

-tomas-
In other words, you are still not (even after 7 years) going to repay your theft of services?

-Ryan goes into permanent orbit-
What is interesting is that to the best of my knowledge, I don't believe there are any serious criminal penalties for not paying back credit cards.

-tomas-
Other than being banned by Genius Forums (yawn).

-Ryan inanely suggests-
Moreover, this sort of large scale scheme rarely happens to credit card companies because the people who would go through with it don't have the credit score to pull off the stunt,

-tomas-
Meaning you...

-Ryan trips the glass darkly-
while the ones who built up their score are very mainstream folk who are very cautious, conventional, and would never consider such a scheme.

-tomas-
Like your parents that you live with and mooch off?

-Ryan the sleuth comments-
Most fraud is caused by criminals who steal credit cards #s, but not by individuals who build up their own scores as a means to take in as much money as possible from a large number of credit card companies.

-tomas-
Well, duh.

-Ryan spins a web of conjecture-
The plan goes against conventional psychology – perhaps this is why I considered it… but there are probably some consequences that I haven't considered.

-tomas-
Some of your new-found sage buddies (Carl, Diebert, David, Kevin) can send your some private messages with some tips.

-Ryan "tries" to come back to reality-
And overall, I would like to find a more honest way to travel as a vagrant for quite a few years,

-tomas-
A more, honest way? - You just finished yapping about thieving us honest folk and in the next breath you are going to turn into the man wearing the white hat?

-Ryan further babbles-
and living off of high dividend income trusts seems like the sanest option, given all the positive and negative consequences.

-tomas-
Are your parents getting up there in years? Their income trusts are in your beady eyes?

-Ryan considers the old, reliable dumpster dive-
However, with the present economic uncertainty globally, investments may be quite turbulent over the long-term, and may not prove as an adequate source of reliable income.

-tomas-
Yeah, you better live with your parents till they are old, infirm, then have some slick lawyer get them to sign everything over to you, Mr Credit Card.

-More Classic Ryan-
Btw, I felt it necessary to make known what I believe are the coldest, most rational and serious thinkers on the forum because it is quite easy for newcomers to be turned off by the madness and circus like behavior of GF.

-tomas-
Hmmm, you are the (current) main attraction in the center ring.

-Ryan coddles up (ass sniffs) to David Quinn-
I think it should become common knowledge what regular posters represent the core values of GF, and we may want to even post a direct link on the main-page, suggesting: what the core values at GF are, and what regular members best represent those core values.

-tomas-
Have you considered branching off and forming your own Genius Forum? I'm sure some credit card companies will like to advertise with your deadpan logic.

-Ryan further condescends-
Moreover, the purpose of a forum such as this should be a serious meeting place of philosophical dialogue, and it should openly promote the highest rationality by making the advanced thinkers known.

-tomas-
As long as you stay on the other side of the tracks...

-Ryan ponders the final solution-
The problem I see with the present forum is that new male guests that stumble upon GF may not have the adequate judgment to realize what thinkers should be grouped together, and what thinkers should be grouped apart, and what thinkers represent the core values of why the forum was established in the first place.

-tomas-
I've a few cattle cars you can charge off on your parent's credit card.

-Ryan lamely comments-
If David, Kevin and Dan are seriously interested in cultivating new rationality in young male thinkers, then they must imagine how a newbie might be confused by the circus like behavior of GF,

-tomas-
Like I stated previously, you are the star attraction :-/

-Ryan acts John Wayne-
and so I believe it is the responsibility of the more advanced thinkers to imagine the problems newbies could have in their initial perceptions of GF, and how might those hurtles might be overcome.

-tomas-
You can't even get out from under your parents roof...

-Ryan browbeats the trinity-
I also believe that the admins have largely ignored my idea of coming up with new ideas to draw young male minds to the forum, unless they took action without telling anyone.

-tomas-
Your comments about your masturbation techniques turned them off.

-Ryan tells us his sorry song and dance-
Moreover, my idea was to use a more mainstream site that gets millions of visitors as a means to target ripe young intellectual minds, and filter them into GF...

-tomas-
Take that $20,000 you are saving up and do it yourself.

Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Ryan, Carl, Diebert, David, Kevin

We've gone from a QRS-tian Trinity to...Quintuplets!

;-)
Ni ange, ni bête
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Geez, the beta males are really acting up!

Well, I'm just a female, I can only cower and watch, hoping not to be struck by a mal-aimed rock or stick.

Well, if they get their way, perhaps the brothel could be reopened and the rejected ones confined there. It would be just like all the old jokes, how all the fun and interesting (and free thinking!) people will be in hell.

Sigh. Does that mean we have to take Amanda? Not that I dislike her really, (I'm not sure there is anything there to dislike) but she takes up so much space.

Seriously. She's not for real.

Oh, it would be grand to see what sort of fascinating material would be generated by a forum of only the Wise Five. And a few newbie sycophants, of course.

But the smell of cum would be quite a stench in the fetid little pit.
Truth is a pathless land.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Brokenhead,
You aspire to be a hobo. Interesting. Not only a hobo, but one with an income.
Not that powerful is it? Its not the type of man that women tend to fantasize about sexually is it Brokenhead?

Btw, It would only be a temporary experiment, not a permanent lifestyle, maybe 5-10 years of traveling through each developed country. In a couple hundred years, rational people wouldn’t have to resort to such measures. Moreover, my beef isn’t with labor as such, it is with the irrational demands that present humans put on the economic system. They make jobs much more hellish/demanding than they needs to be. Humans are driven by greed, lust for power, and ambition, rather than compassion, reason and love for truth.

For instance: If I were surrounded by rational humans, and a highly automated society of robotic technology, the population would be much lower, and much labor would be handled by robots, labor would be much easier, and tolerable, and so humans would be left to be the overseers, technicians, engineers, coordinators, planners, managers, inventors, scientists, philosophers, and so on.

Labor would still be necessary, but labor would be a specialized type of intelligence or empirical knowledge used to manipulate our highly automated systems. And some physical labor would be necessary as well, but technology transforms labor, usually for the better, it makes specialized tasks slightly more tolerable.

Ataraxia,
Rationalize it all you want mate.It's still theft.

This doesn't seem to me an attitude befititing a 'sage'
But theft from whom is the question? Where do credit card companies make a significant portion of their profits? Actually, the majority of credit card companies make huge chunks of their profits from targeting low income people, by aggressively offering them high interest cards, people such as – single-mothers, young naïve university students, newly married couples, and so on. So in affect, you would be stealing the profit credit card companies made from the interest paid back by low-income people, of which these companies intentionally targeted because they knew they would get trapped paying off interest for years and years.

So you have to ask the question: is it wrong to steal money that was made immorally through intentional exploitation?

A similar, but slightly different ethical issue was raised in the move “Training Day” with Denzel Washington.

In the movie, Denzel’s character is a corrupt cop who assassinates one of the worst cocaine dealers in the city, as a means to steal millions of dollars stored in his house. So was it an immoral action? Yes, but some of the overall consequences of the action are quite positive, such as the city loses a large drug distributor. I would classify the action as immoral because the psychological motivation for killing him was emotionally-driven. For instance: Denzel’s character was motivated by greed, and a desperation because he owed a large amount of money to a drug cartel who would kill him if he didn’t pay it back.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan wrote:
It would only be a temporary experiment, not a permanent lifestyle, maybe 5-10 years of traveling through each developed country. I
Questions:

1) Where would the sage -- you specifically -- get the 20K with which to produce the $5.55 daily on which to travel and live?

2) What would the sage -- you specifically -- do in 5-10 years when inflation reduces the $5.55 to $2.78 +/-?

3) What would the sage -- you specifically -- do in 5-10 years when inflation reduces the 20K principal to 10K buying power, and you've been out of the 'rat race' so long that your zero credit rating and ancient work history tends to preclude you buying a vehicle, securing an apartment, and getting a decent job?
Good Citizen Carl
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carl,
1) Where would the sage -- you specifically -- get the 20K with which to produce the $5.55 daily on which to travel and live?
One would have to work for a period of time to save the money. 20K isn’t that hard to save when you’re survival costs are low.
2) What would the sage -- you specifically -- do in 5-10 years when inflation reduces the $5.55 to $2.76 (or so)?
One would hope that the gradual increase in the stock portfolio would counter-act the affects of inflation. And a well diversified portfolio should be able to achieve this.

My strategy is putting a large amount of money into Canadian Real Estate Income Trusts. My reasoning is this – Canadian Real Estate shouldn’t feel the affects of the US slowdown because the country is not of the same size, our dollar is not suffering from inflation to the same degree, and our financial system has many more regulatory checks and bounds established to prevent an occurrence like the sub prime mortgage crisis in the States. That is why I’m putting much of my money in smaller cap income trusts because they have a lot of growth potential, and the growth should counter-act the inflationary affects of the Canadian Dollar. Smaller cap trusts also give a higher dividend yield.

Also , a trend that could affect Canada is China will soon begin to give birth to a middle-class work force, and perhaps even a democracy. And as personal wealth combined with personal freedoms is achieved in China, then you’ll probably see many Chinese people move to smaller populated countries such as Canada, and they will also be pouring new capital into the stock market. And these affects will probably drastically raise the price of many Canadian Stocks, especially real estate. The combination of an inflow of new citizens and new investors could have this affect. However, this is merely speculative.

My other speculation for choosing Canadian Real Instate Income Trusts is that in 2011, the Canadian government will drastically change the tax code on Income Trusts to treat them more like corporations than trusts. The affect is that trusts will not be exempt from all the taxes they are now, and therefore they will not be able to give their shareholders the same high dividend yields that are now experienced. However, the government also announced that Real Estate income trusts will be the only trust to be exempt from this law, and so in 2011, you could see millions of trust investors selling off the trusts in the other industries to get on board with real estate income trusts. So anyone that builds up a portfolio of Real Estate Income trusts now could see their portfolio drastically increase in price, if the above speculation is valid.
3) What would the sage -- you specifically -- do in 5-10 years when inflation reduces the 20K principal to 10K buying power, and you've been out of the 'rat race' so long that your zero credit rating and ancient work history tends to preclude you buying a vehicle, securing an apartment, and getting a decent job?
Well, my portfolio will primarily be paid in Canadian dollars, which doesn’t have the same degree of inflation as the United States. Canada is a smaller country, population-wise, government wise, budget wise, military-wise. Everything is on a tinier scale in Canada, and so one would expect that the degree of inflation won’t be as intense as in the United States. And as for getting a job in concerned, most employers are understaffed in Canada, and very desperate for new employees so finding work isn't all that difficult. I have never had a problem finding a job when I needed to work, most times employers don't even do a check on your resume, so you could resort to dishonesty about the qualifications if you really needed to, especially if you are just working a low end entry level job. Employers will try anyone because their turn over rates are so high.

In rare instances, I also have a pragmatic skill of being able to adapt to another's personality, and befriend people if I really need a place to stay, or something to eat, it is very easy to get what you need from people if you ask the right way. You just be polite, nice, agreeable, non-confrontational, inquisitive-into their lives, jokey, throw out some relevant small-chat with a bit of theatrics, an interesting story, while avoiding being too philosophical and truthful, and people will love you. Be yourself (Sage) and people will despise you. In person, I only tend to be truthful to the degree that the person I'm speaking to can handle it, so my interactions are usually quite relative, and more based on what the other person is capable of, rather than what I am capable of. GF is one of th the only environments that I can totally express full complete thoughts of what I believe a non-attached masculine mind entails.

I see interactions with others as a very relative phenomenon, and so one could ask the ethical question: Is it unethical for an intelligent man to manipulate a fool as a means to temporarily gain basic survival necessities? One could argue that a fool is only capable of foolish social interactions, so why not use that to ones advantage if the situation warrants it? he will never know the difference, he is in affect a fool, and the intelligent man will continue on his marry way. What I have learned about humans is that you can manipulate them easily by allowing them to pleasure themselves, and allowing them to express the prideful image they have of themselves. Friendship for most humans is measured by the degree by which two people will allow each other to strengthen and re-affirm their ego-habits, ego-images, and ego-identifications.

That is why women are so successful at controlling men. Women are listeners, and because they lack judgment, by listening, they allow a man to enslave himself to his own vanity, egoism, and identifications. Initially, she seems like a slave because she humbly listens, but she is actually an all-powerful master because the man has become addicted to his own vanity, and her face is the only outlet to his expression. She knows this, and she intuitively uses his addiction to her to get what she wants.

So basically, if an intelligent man is in a tight spot, all ethical rules break down, and the world becomes a sage's playground. This is the tactic Diogenes deployed on occasion, but it seems Diogenes became addicted to some of his own techniques, and perhaps he displayed a bit of immaturity within his character. However, it is the same principle, the fool can be easily manipulated by simply allowing him to pleasure himself. Basically, it is like providing a pig with the mud to roll in, and while the pig is rolling around in the mud merrily, the intelligent man simply cuts a piece of bacon off his rump, and continues on his marry way. The pig never knew the difference, and since he will always be a pig, what is the difference? No suffering was inflicted, and it is only the intelligent man that is even aware that he deployed a manipulative tactic to gain nourishment or shelter.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

So, Ryan to sum up:

You will be a bum...
One would hope that the gradual increase in the stock portfolio would counter-act the affects of inflation. And a well diversified portfolio should be able to achieve this.
...with a portfolio.

Not only that:
Also , a trend that could affect Canada is China will soon begin to give birth to a middle-class work force, and perhaps even a democracy. And as personal wealth combined with personal freedoms is achieved in China, then you’ll probably see many Chinese people move to smaller populated countries such as Canada, and they will also be pouring new capital into the stock market. And these affects will probably drastically raise the price of many Canadian Stocks, especially real estate.
...but you are waiting for an entire class of people to escape opression and immigrate to your country, where the fruits of their hard labor will increase the value of your porfolio while you do nothing.

When re-entering the job market - if you do - you will resort to cheating, as it is so easy to be dishonest with desperate employers:
so you could resort to dishonesty about the qualifications if you really needed to, especially if you are just working a low end entry level job. Employers will try anyone because their turn over rates are so high.
In addition to lying about your work experience, lying about who you are always helps, especially if it is your one true skill:
In rare instances, I also have a pragmatic skill of being able to adapt to another's personality, and befriend people if I really need a place to stay, or something to eat, it is very easy to get what you need from people if you ask the right way. You just be polite, nice, agreeable, non-confrontational, inquisitive-into their lives, jokey, throw out some relevant small-chat with a bit of theatrics, an interesting story, while avoiding being too philosophical and truthful, and people will love you. Be yourself (Sage) and people will despise you.
All this is okay, because you have disdain for those whom you are cheating:
Basically, it is like providing a pig with the mud to roll in, and while the pig is rolling around in the mud merrily, the intelligent man simply cuts a piece of bacon off his rump, and continues on his marry way. The pig never knew the difference, and since he will always be a pig, what is the difference?

Here's hoping that some night during your vagrant years, you are out there trudging along a two lane somewhere in the vast, anonymous Canadian tundra, when a semi without headlights tops the hill behind you and careens down to flatten you like a piece of Canadian bacon smothered in ketchup.