Universal Consciousness or Oneness

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
samadhi

Re: Universal Consciousness or Oneness

Post by samadhi »

Amanda,
Of course others have their own will to decide what they will, but the point I was making is that most seem intent on pulling another down if their understanding is not the same as their own. Mockery abounds and reverberates off the walls here in cyberspace, there has been no other place like this that I have yet come across in this respect.
True, cyberspace gives people the anonymity to act out. It may seem strange because with enlightenment as the theme of this board, you would think it would be different here. Of course, not that many are actually interested in enlightenment.
Within mockery one is simply showing ignorance and conceit, self doubt and an attempt to belittle anothers worth. In casting aspersion words seem to get entangled in their own illusion of confusion. Perceptions are of course subjective and the foolish will enjoy casting yet more, deaf to much wisdom that may pass by.
Try to take it in stride.
Yes i was wrong to say that none do learn and of course you are right in this respect, we all will learn what we need to grow as we do indeed create our own experience to learn from. Some just learn quicker than others while some repeat the same in vain.
We all go at our own pace, it doesn't mean slow is bad or fast is good.
It is my experience here that so many seemingly conflicting viewpoints are actually misunderstood however, and if a little patience, considerstion and integrity with honour was shown then this forum may turn into some delightfully fruitful and wise converse. It would seem that in attempts to prove another wrong many are missing what would otherwise serve them well in understanding, of course these are my observations based upon my awareness of some of the dialect here.
You can always bring your own understanding, whatever anyone else is doing.
Alex Jacob wrote:You'd happily accept oceans of platitudes over one probing or incisive comment, but you're in Penisville now baby, Vaginacity is over that way, down that delightful path by the pond with the frilly ferns and that delightful scent in the wind.
Lol, Alex at his most insightful and playful.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

BM,
BM: Celibacy is necessary to reach enlightenment.

sam: I don't think so. Enlightenment is about who you are, not whether you are celibate or not.

BM: Do you think that detachment is necessary for enlightenment?
Of course but detachment is an attitude, not an action.
BM: The severe differences between one's current attached state and that of absolute freedom will bring about contempt, disgust and all manners of revulsion with the current state of affairs ...

sam: Hatred is actually an emotional state that inhibits enlightenment. Contempt and disgust will keep you locked into your current state, acceptance is the gateway you are looking for.

BM: All emotional states inhibit enlightenment, but in order to break the bonds of love one must see attachments for what they are. Attachments are not disbanded by "being okay" with them or accepting them. One must garner a terrible resolve to unmask the ego's love of self, uncovering the writhing mass of worms beneath. If you do not hold the ego in contempt or if you are not disgusted by the needy selfishness of yourself, you have not realized the significance of what you have seen.
Well, your self-condemnation won't help you. But you can try it and find out for yourself.
BM: He will see the body not only as a temple, but as a bag of filth and pus ...

sam: The body is not a hindrance. When you see it as such, enlightenment recedes in the distance.

BM: The body is indeed a hindrance to a great deal many of people, myself included.
That's a shame since it need not be.
People do the stupidest things to keep in comfort, bed. A good deal of women, perhaps 90%, and a significant number of men lavish inordinate amounts of time and attention on their own physical beauty and other's.
So what? The attention some pay to their appearance need not be your concern. Your judgment of them reflects on your own concern for appearances.
A famous athlete was making his triumphal entry into the city after another successful games. As he was carried along, he was unable to tear his eyes away from the many beautiful women among the onlookers.

"Look at our brave victor," remarked Diogenes, "taken captive by every girl he sees."
Again, no need to judge others. Your judgments in fact are the chains that binds you to them.
BM: The trappings of love - comfort, consolation, validation, affirmation, and so on, will be seen as the pitfalls along the path to enlightenment they are ...

sam: The pitfalls have to do with attachment; the emotions themselves are embraced for what they are, not attached to as who you are.

BM: Without staving off the emotions and returning to reason, one cannot differentiate emotions, or moods, and the attachments that evoke them.
If you want to fight against your emotions, then you are free to do so. I would suggest there are other approaches that might prove more rewarding.
BM: If his own self is transient and ultimately nonexistent, how little satisfaction could be derived from another who is just as fleeting and ultimately nonexistent?

sam: Many require the help and guidance of a teacher. Anyone can be a teacher if you are willing to learn.

BM: The only reason anyone can be a teacher if you're willing to learn is reason.
Reason is hardly the only means of learning.
mansman

Post by mansman »

elderwoodxxx wrote:Well said!
amandaxxx
Thank you pretty lady, but is not xxx in USA signify sexiness? Also when I look at your expresion in the pic easy to imagine you are in ecsacy with sexual embrace totally fulfilled, ike a sexual nirvana, like I say combination pic and xxx makes man feel this way, but I see your words express different way to be.
Some say there is a time for happy, time for sad, time for friends time to be alone.
Why not time for love and time for no-love?
But genius not supposed to be like everyone else.
All things can distract from meditation not only sex with woman (or man).

I have better subject to learn myself,
best to you,xxx
haha
- FOREIGNER
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

It's time to bust you Mansman...yours is a put on 'written accent'...but you don't make the mistakes in the same way and sometimes you don't make the same mistakes.

"a time for happy, time for sad, time for friends time to be alone."

;-)
Ni ange, ni bête
elderwoodxxx

Post by elderwoodxxx »

Alex Jacob wrote:Thank you pretty lady, but is not xxx in USA signify sexiness? Also when I look at your expresion in the pic easy to imagine you are in ecsacy with sexual embrace totally fulfilled, ike a sexual nirvana, like I say combination pic and xxx makes man feel this way, but I see your words express different way to be.
I am not in USA and xxx is just my username and I am not responsible for your self control!! That would be your thoughts there!
amandaxxx
'I am You'
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Amanda, was that some kind of Freudian slip? Why did you attribute those words of 'mansman' to li'l ole me?
Ni ange, ni bête
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Alex Jacob wrote:It's time to bust you Mansman...yours is a put on 'written accent'...but you don't make the mistakes in the same way and sometimes you don't make the same mistakes.

"a time for happy, time for sad, time for friends time to be alone."

;-)
mansman is a blatant fake, Alex. The "accent" reminds me of Boris Badenov from Rocky and Bullwinkle. "Moose and squirrel!" His spelling is a dead giveaway. A sockpuppet, perhaps?
mansman

Post by mansman »

elderwoodxxx wrote:
Alex Jacob wrote:Thank you pretty lady, but is not xxx in USA signify sexiness? Also when I look at your expresion in the pic easy to imagine you are in ecsacy with sexual embrace totally fulfilled, ike a sexual nirvana, like I say combination pic and xxx makes man feel this way, but I see your words express different way to be.
I am not in USA and xxx is just my username and I am not responsible for your self control!! That would be your thoughts there!
amandaxxx
You mean you not know what xxx means in adult industry? Find hard to believe this.
What you do in pic if not sexual fulfilment? Is just meditation? If so excuse me, just you know Im sure you beautiful British lady, true that hard for me to control my body and heart beat when look at you!
You have other pics for sure,no?
- FOREIGNER
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

samadhi wrote:BM: Celibacy is necessary to reach enlightenment.

sam: I don't think so. Enlightenment is about who you are, not whether you are celibate or not.

sam: Of course but detachment is an attitude, not an action.
You're missing the point, if detachment is necessary for enlightenment, then as an attitude it will filter down through your actions.
BM: The severe differences between one's current attached state and that of absolute freedom will bring about contempt, disgust and all manners of revulsion with the current state of affairs ...

sam: Hatred is actually an emotional state that inhibits enlightenment. Contempt and disgust will keep you locked into your current state, acceptance is the gateway you are looking for.

BM: All emotional states inhibit enlightenment, but in order to break the bonds of love one must see attachments for what they are. Attachments are not disbanded by "being okay" with them or accepting them. One must garner a terrible resolve to unmask the ego's love of self, uncovering the writhing mass of worms beneath. If you do not hold the ego in contempt or if you are not disgusted by the needy selfishness of yourself, you have not realized the significance of what you have seen.

sam: Well, your self-condemnation won't help you. But you can try it and find out for yourself.
Calling a spade a spade is not condemnation, it is a judgment. I have seen your inability to distinguish between judging and blaming in other threads, and see it here. You are of the "everything is okay" school of thought, the "we are all originally pure and we don't have to take any action to acknowledge and then improve our current situation," but the problem is that school of thought turns a blind eye to your neighbor. Even if someone were pure enough in his original nature, he wouldn't neglect the effect his word has on those in a worse place than he.
BM: He will see the body not only as a temple, but as a bag of filth and pus ...

sam: The body is not a hindrance. When you see it as such, enlightenment recedes in the distance.

BM: The body is indeed a hindrance to a great deal many of people, myself included.

sam: That's a shame since it need not be.
Tell me, sam, if I were in a burning house would you tell me to take it easy and just let go, or would you direct me out?
BM: People do the stupidest things to keep in comfort, bed. A good deal of women, perhaps 90%, and a significant number of men lavish inordinate amounts of time and attention on their own physical beauty and other's.

sam: So what? The attention some pay to their appearance need not be your concern. Your judgment of them reflects on your own concern for appearances.
A judgment is a perfectly rational outcome of having a conscious, reasoning mind, it isn't the result of a "concern for appearances"; it is the recognition of the injurious nature of such a concern and then the application of reason.
BM quoting Diogenes: A famous athlete was making his triumphal entry into the city after another successful games. As he was carried along, he was unable to tear his eyes away from the many beautiful women among the onlookers.

"Look at our brave victor," remarked Diogenes, "taken captive by every girl he sees."

sam: Again, no need to judge others. Your judgments in fact are the chains that binds you to them.
Refer above.
BM: The trappings of love - comfort, consolation, validation, affirmation, and so on, will be seen as the pitfalls along the path to enlightenment they are ...

sam: The pitfalls have to do with attachment; the emotions themselves are embraced for what they are, not attached to as who you are.

BM: Without staving off the emotions and returning to reason, one cannot differentiate emotions, or moods, and the attachments that evoke them.

sam: If you want to fight against your emotions, then you are free to do so. I would suggest there are other approaches that might prove more rewarding.
Than why not out and suggest them? Further, I don't "fight against my emotions," I rarely have any at all, and when I do I calm myself down and analyze their root causes to avoid a repeat performance.
BM: If his own self is transient and ultimately nonexistent, how little satisfaction could be derived from another who is just as fleeting and ultimately nonexistent?

sam: Many require the help and guidance of a teacher. Anyone can be a teacher if you are willing to learn.

BM: The only reason anyone can be a teacher if you're willing to learn is reason.

sam: Reason is hardly the only means of learning.
Again, why not out and give me an example of another means of learning? Any examples you may give would have to be judged effective or ineffective either way.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

BM,
BM: Celibacy is necessary to reach enlightenment.

BM: You're missing the point, if detachment is necessary for enlightenment, then as an attitude it will filter down through your actions.
Yes, your actions will reflect detachment. But acting with detachment doesn't tell you what your actions will be.
sam: Well, your self-condemnation won't help you. But you can try it and find out for yourself.

BM: Calling a spade a spade is not condemnation, it is a judgment. I have seen your inability to distinguish between judging and blaming in other threads, and see it here.
Well then clearly you don't understand the difference between a utilitarian judgment and moralizing.
You are of the "everything is okay" school of thought, the "we are all originally pure and we don't have to take any action to acknowledge and then improve our current situation," but the problem is that school of thought turns a blind eye to your neighbor. Even if someone were pure enough in his original nature, he wouldn't neglect the effect his word has on those in a worse place than he.
I am not of the "everything is okay" school, see my debate with Cory in the Crucible. My point is only that your moral condemnation of someone else is not a helpful factor. Even self-condemnation only adds to the burden you already carry. If there is a recognition that the action you take produces harm, then the only thing necessary is to refrain from doing it and you don't need to beat yourself up to do that. If that recognition is not present, then moral condemnation usually serves to reinforce the position since one naturally defends themselves when they feel judged. The one doing the judging also becomes entrenched and rather than finding some understanding and compassion, miscommunication and hostility result. When the judge and the judged are the same person, the likely result is guilt and misery with little change.

BM: Tell me, sam, if I were in a burning house would you tell me to take it easy and just let go, or would you direct me out?
Again, you confuse utilitarian with moral judgment. It isn't.
BM: People do the stupidest things to keep in comfort, bed. A good deal of women, perhaps 90%, and a significant number of men lavish inordinate amounts of time and attention on their own physical beauty and other's.

sam: So what? The attention some pay to their appearance need not be your concern. Your judgment of them reflects on your own concern for appearances.

BM: A judgment is a perfectly rational outcome of having a conscious, reasoning mind, it isn't the result of a "concern for appearances"; it is the recognition of the injurious nature of such a concern and then the application of reason.
Then why not explain the injurious nature of the conduct, skip the moral condemnation, and let the one doing it decide whether they wish to continue or not? Instead, your condemnation only invites a vigorous defense which fuels hostility and inflames the situation. Your need to decide for others what is right and wrong is about control, it isn't about helping anyone. If you wanted to help, then provide information without condemning any choice and allow them to have and act on the consequences of their decision as they see fit. After all, you expect that for yourself, don't you?

sam: If you want to fight against your emotions, then you are free to do so. I would suggest there are other approaches that might prove more rewarding.

BM: Than why not out and suggest them? Further, I don't "fight against my emotions," I rarely have any at all, and when I do I calm myself down and analyze their root causes to avoid a repeat performance.
How does one "stave off" an emotion? Why not allow what arises to arise without the need to act on it before due consideration is given? Then there is no guilt for feeling what you feel and no harm created through involuntary action.

BM: Again, why not out and give me an example of another means of learning? Any examples you may give would have to be judged effective or ineffective either way.
How do you treat others? Who taught you that? How did they teach you?
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

samadhi wrote:BM: Celibacy is necessary to reach enlightenment.

BM: You're missing the point, if detachment is necessary for enlightenment, then as an attitude it will filter down through your actions.

sam: Yes, your actions will reflect detachment. But acting with detachment doesn't tell you what your actions will be.
Celibacy is the decision to be detached from sex and all the trappings of the feminine.

BM: Calling a spade a spade is not condemnation, it is a judgment. I have seen your inability to distinguish between judging and blaming in other threads, and see it here.

sam: Well then clearly you don't understand the difference between a utilitarian judgment and moralizing.
Clearly you're arbitrarily assigning my judgments to the moral category, when I consider them utilitarian towards the purpose of enlightenment and wisdom.
BM: You are of the "everything is okay" school of thought, the "we are all originally pure and we don't have to take any action to acknowledge and then improve our current situation," but the problem is that school of thought turns a blind eye to your neighbor. Even if someone were pure enough in his original nature, he wouldn't neglect the effect his word has on those in a worse place than he.

sam: I am not of the "everything is okay" school, see my debate with Cory in the Crucible. My point is only that your moral condemnation of someone else is not a helpful factor. Even self-condemnation only adds to the burden you already carry. If there is a recognition that the action you take produces harm, then the only thing necessary is to refrain from doing it and you don't need to beat yourself up to do that. If that recognition is not present, then moral condemnation usually serves to reinforce the position since one naturally defends themselves when they feel judged. The one doing the judging also becomes entrenched and rather than finding some understanding and compassion, miscommunication and hostility result. When the judge and the judged are the same person, the likely result is guilt and misery with little change.
See, you're somehow imagining that these are moral judgments I'm making, and unless you define moral judgments as those judgments that are utilized for the purposes of furthering enlightenment and wisdom then I disagree. You have an attachment to sex, you feel my statements threaten your attachment and so you brand them "moral judgments" for the purposes of castigating me as some sort of doom and gloom proselytizer when that is clearly not the case. It has been my experience that the attachment to sex brings about unending misery, and further in order to remove that attachment it is necessary for some people to take a different view of the body from the conventional. Yet because of your attachment you must immediately brand me a moralizer and hide behind your straw men.

BM: Tell me, sam, if I were in a burning house would you tell me to take it easy and just let go, or would you direct me out?

sam: Again, you confuse utilitarian with moral judgment. It isn't.
You're drawing a line in the sand of an hourglass.

BM: A judgment is a perfectly rational outcome of having a conscious, reasoning mind, it isn't the result of a "concern for appearances"; it is the recognition of the injurious nature of such a concern and then the application of reason.

sam: Then why not explain the injurious nature of the conduct, skip the moral condemnation, and let the one doing it decide whether they wish to continue or not? Instead, your condemnation only invites a vigorous defense which fuels hostility and inflames the situation. Your need to decide for others what is right and wrong is about control, it isn't about helping anyone. If you wanted to help, then provide information without condemning any choice and allow them to have and act on the consequences of their decision as they see fit. After all, you expect that for yourself, don't you?
Wow, you are way off. I provide examples for people to see the ugly side of themselves, as surely as it is a temple. It is your need to control my words, and to imagine some sort of "vigorous defense" and "fueled hostility inflaming the situation," because those who act unconsciously like yourself cannot but react to any encroachment on your attachments. But I am the controlling one...?

BM: Than why not out and suggest them? Further, I don't "fight against my emotions," I rarely have any at all, and when I do I calm myself down and analyze their root causes to avoid a repeat performance.

sam: How does one "stave off" an emotion? Why not allow what arises to arise without the need to act on it before due consideration is given? Then there is no guilt for feeling what you feel and no harm created through involuntary action.
One staves off emotion by realizing their own nature, and that of things in themselves about him. To carry this all the way would be to die the Great Death, and become fully enlightened. So if someone has a fit of road rage and runs someone off the road, then no bother! It was involuntary after all.

You commit the sin, or miss the mark when it comes to consequences. You do not seem to realize action needs to be taken, preventative measures in some instances, in order to thwart the repetition of unconscious behaviors.

BM: Again, why not out and give me an example of another means of learning? Any examples you may give would have to be judged effective or ineffective either way.

sam: How do you treat others? Who taught you that? How did they teach you?
If I did not act a certain way I would be punished. I disliked punishment, and so in order to avoid punishment and to receive the reward of social graces I acted accordingly. Before the age of reason that punishment needs to be enforced as children at that age are as animals when it comes to consciousness, they do not maintain the continuity of consciousness to learn from their mistakes unless it is on the physical level. But, are we children?
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

BM,
Celibacy is the decision to be detached from sex and all the trappings of the feminine.
If that is your belief, then you should act on it. The problem is asserting that everyone should be governed by your belief. It is also your belief that detachment is represented by a certain kind of action. It isn't. You can be just as attached to sex through celibacy as you can through indulgence.
Clearly you're arbitrarily assigning my judgments to the moral category, when I consider them utilitarian towards the purpose of enlightenment and wisdom.
Sorry but I can recognize a moral judgment when I hear it. Holding the ego in contempt isn't a moral judgment? The ego is what it is. When you hold it in contempt that in itself indicates a lack of detachment which you have already said is your goal.
See, you're somehow imagining that these are moral judgments I'm making, and unless you define moral judgments as those judgments that are utilized for the purposes of furthering enlightenment and wisdom then I disagree.
I'm not questioning your individual path to enlightenment. I am questioning the judgments you put on to others by insisting your path should be their path.
You have an attachment to sex, you feel my statements threaten your attachment and so you brand them "moral judgments" for the purposes of castigating me as some sort of doom and gloom proselytizer when that is clearly not the case.
You are the one insisting on no sex so you would be the one demonstrating an attachment to it, in this case, a negative one. My path is about neither indulgence nor abstention. The Buddha taught the middle way, remember?
It has been my experience that the attachment to sex brings about unending misery, and further in order to remove that attachment it is necessary for some people to take a different view of the body from the conventional. Yet because of your attachment you must immediately brand me a moralizer and hide behind your straw men.
You are moralizing! You are telling me your beliefs take precedence and that a negative attachment to sex is what is important, both involve moral judgments. I don't need to brand you when you demonstrate the behavior for all to see.

sam: Again, you confuse utilitarian with moral judgment. It isn't.

BM: You're drawing a line in the sand of an hourglass.
Sorry but it doesn't take a moral judgment to leave a burning house.
sam: why not explain the injurious nature of the conduct, skip the moral condemnation, and let the one doing it decide whether they wish to continue or not? Instead, your condemnation only invites a vigorous defense which fuels hostility and inflames the situation. Your need to decide for others what is right and wrong is about control, it isn't about helping anyone. If you wanted to help, then provide information without condemning any choice and allow them to have and act on the consequences of their decision as they see fit. After all, you expect that for yourself, don't you?

BM: Wow, you are way off. I provide examples for people to see the ugly side of themselves, as surely as it is a temple. It is your need to control my words, and to imagine some sort of "vigorous defense" and "fueled hostility inflaming the situation," because those who act unconsciously like yourself cannot but react to any encroachment on your attachments. But I am the controlling one...?
Control your words? Please, don't play the victim here. You get to say what you want without any interference from me. And what is ugly to you may not be ugly to others, have you ever considered that? Taking a certain care with one's appearance is not antithethical with enlightenment either. Even if someone is attached to their grooming, are your moral judgments anything other than the mere opposite kind of attachment?
sam: How does one "stave off" an emotion? Why not allow what arises to arise without the need to act on it before due consideration is given? Then there is no guilt for feeling what you feel and no harm created through involuntary action.

BM: One staves off emotion by realizing their own nature, and that of things in themselves about him. To carry this all the way would be to die the Great Death, and become fully enlightened.
All you are saying is one "staves off" emotion by being enlightened which is a fatuous prescription.
So if someone has a fit of road rage and runs someone off the road, then no bother! It was involuntary after all.
This is Cory and Ryan's argument, not mine!
You commit the sin, or miss the mark when it comes to consequences. You do not seem to realize action needs to be taken, preventative measures in some instances, in order to thwart the repetition of unconscious behaviors.
By all means, become conscious. But then don't turn around and put yourself in an unconscious straitjacket through moral judgments.
sam: How do you treat others? Who taught you that? How did they teach you?

BM: If I did not act a certain way I would be punished. I disliked punishment, and so in order to avoid punishment and to receive the reward of social graces I acted accordingly. Before the age of reason that punishment needs to be enforced as children at that age are as animals when it comes to consciousness, they do not maintain the continuity of consciousness to learn from their mistakes unless it is on the physical level. But, are we children?
Did your parents treat you like the family pet? I hope not, that would be pretty sad. In fact, I bet they taught you quite a bit and most of it, I would venture to say, wasn't about reasoning.
elderwoodxxx

Post by elderwoodxxx »

Alex Jacob wrote:Amanda, was that some kind of Freudian slip? Why did you attribute those words of 'mansman' to li'l ole me?
Yes it seems it must have been sorry ... evidentially we can see who wrote it. ;-)

amandaxxx
'I am You'
earnest_seeker

Post by earnest_seeker »

Hi Brian,
BMcGilly07 wrote:It has been my experience that the attachment to sex brings about unending misery
I'm curious for you to clarify something: do you mean that it's your experience that attachment to sex brings you unending misery, or people in general? If people in general, then do you recognise any exceptions?
Laird
elderwoodxxx

Post by elderwoodxxx »

I know im not brian... but attachment to sex.. leads to empty self gratificatory fixes... if one however chooses to make love with another who mutually loves you.. that is another story. while one never completes the whole.. as you already are complete.. two enhance the whole as one. the mistake most make is they 'think' they need completing, and their in lies self seeking outwardly desire, confusion and pain.

amandaxxx
'I am You'
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Hi Earnest,
earnest_seeker wrote:Hi Brian,
BMcGilly07 wrote:It has been my experience that the attachment to sex brings about unending misery
I'm curious for you to clarify something: do you mean that it's your experience that attachment to sex brings you unending misery, or people in general? If people in general, then do you recognise any exceptions?
Speaking from my own experience and by observing those about me, I would say in general, under whose umbrella I am included. One might argue those in post-coital bliss aren't experiencing unending misery, but revisit with them after their lover cheats on them, or after they've become such a slave that their every move is manipulated by the promise of more sex. It's not the physical after-effects of sex alone that brings about misery, it's the attachment to another to fulfill oneself that entangles and binds. The more one understands about the nature of things and the universe at large, the further into the backdrop the trappings of sex recede.

note: added first half of first sentence.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It's not just in general, but universal (if one allows "misery" to mean suffering at any level). All sexual relationships are enveloped in continual desire (emotional and physical). Desire is absence; absence is suffering. QED.
earnest_seeker

Post by earnest_seeker »

Brian and Dan,

Do you reckon that Holly and her husband suffer much due to sex? It doesn't look like it to me. The description of her blog reads:
I'm happily married and in a committed, monogamous relationship. Mind blowing, soul searing, I-can-feel-it-in-my-feet sex is one of my favorite activities, and I want to talk about it!
And boy does she ever talk about it...
Laird
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Jesus. I think the language of reason and philosophy is one you cannot speak and are possibly incapable of learning or understanding.

I wrote:
It's not just in general, but universal (if one allows "misery" to mean suffering at any level). All sexual relationships are enveloped in continual desire (emotional and physical). Desire is absence; absence is suffering. QED.
And you respond with that banality? How dare you, Sir. How, fucking, dare you.
earnest_seeker

Post by earnest_seeker »

You can't refute it, can you? She's loving her sex life. Not a trace of suffering (except for that of the paddling that hubby gives her when she's been a bad girl). So much for your argument that sex universally leads to suffering...

Anyways, you provide me with a few trivially refutable trite sentences and you expect me to respond seriously to them? I could have engaged with you with reason, I just chose to illustrate my point more creatively. But if it's reason that you want, then, man, it is reason that you shall get!

Let's examine the essence of your reasoning: "Desire is absence; absence is suffering." A cursory examination of the first assertion reveals that desire need not be about absence, because desires can be fulfilled. The second assertion likewise doesn't stand a cursory examination. Absence need not cause suffering when one has a reasonable expectation that the absence will soon be overturned (in fact in that instance the absence can even enhance pleasure, as anticipation), or when one is simply a reasonably well-balanced individual who takes things as they come and doesn't attach negative thoughts to the fact that right now, they're not gettin' any.
Laird
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I can't make the obvious happen for the oblivious.
earnest_seeker

Post by earnest_seeker »

And I can't help that it's obvious that you're oblivious.

I wonder how much more disparaging we could get of one another? We're having fun, right?

The GF ethos sucks us in once again...
Laird
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

earnest_seeker wrote:You can't refute it, can you? She's loving her sex life. Not a trace of suffering (except for that of the paddling that hubby gives her when she's been a bad girl). So much for your argument that sex universally leads to suffering...

Anyways, you provide me with a few trivially refutable trite sentences and you expect me to respond seriously to them? I could have engaged with you with reason, I just chose to illustrate my point more creatively. But if it's reason that you want, then, man, it is reason that you shall get!
Not from you I wont. As evidenced:
Let's examine the essence of your reasoning: "Desire is absence; absence is suffering." A cursory examination of the first assertion reveals that desire need not be about absence, because desires can be fulfilled.
Desire must, of necessity, means absence. Have you no respect for the meaning of words? Have you no respect for logical consequence? Fulfillment (other than ephemeral) of desire cannot happen because desire is what ego is. Are you arguing that a good sexual relationship is one where desire ceases? If not, where's your fucking rebuttal?
The second assertion likewise doesn't stand a cursory examination.
That's because your capacity for logic is cursory.
Absence need not cause suffering
I'll be sure to tell the Buddha and all who happen to understand differently (i.e., reasoning people).
when one has a reasonable expectation that the absence will soon be overturned (in fact in that instance the absence can even enhance pleasure, as anticipation), or when one is simply a reasonably well-balanced individual who takes things as they come and doesn't attach negative thoughts to the fact that right now, they're not gettin' any.
Your absence of knowledge and appreciation for psychology and its philosophical subtleties is noted. Your thinking is gross, on soooooooo many levels.
earnest_seeker

Post by earnest_seeker »

Dan Rowden wrote:Desire must, of necessity, means absence.
Have you never heard or read of someone whispering "I want you so badly [i.e. in a sexual sense]" whilst simultaneously "having" (i.e. in a sexual sense) that person? Clearly desire need not mean absence. Desires can be fulfilled. The desire and the fulfillment thereof are the pleasure.
Dan Rowden wrote:Fulfillment (other than ephemeral) of desire cannot happen because desire is what ego is.
I define the ego as the self, not as desire. Sure, the self has desires, but that's not what defines it entirely.
Dan Rowden wrote:Are you arguing that a good sexual relationship is one where desire ceases?
No, I'm not arguing that at all. I'm arguing that a good sexual relationship is one where desire is appropriate (or even, heaven forbid!: rampant), and is satisfied at appropriate intervals.
earnest: Absence need not cause suffering

Dan: I'll be sure to tell the Buddha and all who happen to understand differently (i.e., reasoning people).
And I'll be sure to note your appeal to authority.

I am absent a rainbow finch singing me lullabies as I drift off to sleep. Should this cause me suffering?
earnest: when one has a reasonable expectation that the absence will soon be overturned (in fact in that instance the absence can even enhance pleasure, as anticipation), or when one is simply a reasonably well-balanced individual who takes things as they come and doesn't attach negative thoughts to the fact that right now, they're not gettin' any.

Dan: Your absence of knowledge and appreciation for psychology and its philosophical subtleties is noted.
Your absence of a rebuttal in favour of a generic statement of negative judgement is noted.

What, ya got nuthin'?
Dan Rowden wrote:Your thinking is gross, on soooooooo many levels.
You wanna see gross, check out what I just pulled out of my nose.
Laird
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

earnest_seeker wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Desire must, of necessity, means absence.
Have you never heard or read of someone whispering "I want you so badly [i.e. in a sexual sense]" whilst simultaneously "having" (i.e. in a sexual sense) that person?
You think that remark is relevant?
Clearly desire need not mean absence. Desires can be fulfilled. The desire and the fulfillment thereof are the pleasure.
There is no talking to a person who will not accept or understand the meaning of words.