Prayers for the Poor

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
BGen

Prayers for the Poor

Post by BGen »

Some religious practices ask that you pray for the poor or for the less fortunate. Other prayer, in contrast, deals only with yourself and your correction. Your job is determine what you need in order to be complete. They pray to advance in your completeness.
This does not mean that you do not care about other people, especially those who need extra help. Correction means becoming altruistic instead of egoistic. Therefore, caring for others is "built-in" in the prayer. If you are not praying to become altruistic then you are not praying for correction anyway.
Being poor means being deficient, not having something. But why pray for something instead of working to get it? Because there is one thing that, no matter how hard we work for it, we will never get by ourselves: the Creator's quality of bestowal. So praying for the poor is wanting everyone to have the quality of bestowal because that the only thing they can't find on their one. Those who pray for the poor, for others, are rewarded first.
Your opinions?
Carl G

Re: Prayers for the Poor

Post by Carl G »

Is it different from eating a sandwich?

Is it bigger than a loaf of bread?
Good Citizen Carl
TowardsProgress

Post by TowardsProgress »

When I was much younger I would be forced to memorize long prayers and to pray twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I remember occasionally kneeling on a layer of small and hard beads (groh). While I prayed I would let my mind wander and day dream. Though, I can still remember the prayers and their pattern as one connected with the other.

I haven't prayed like that in a long time and I don't feel like restarting anytime soon.

Edit: nothing like honesty, eh?
BGen

Post by BGen »

Kabbalists encourage you to be involved in society. You can interact with people or give them a helping hand. But praying for others' condition is praying to have the quality of Creator's quality of bestowal. Private correction is individual, but it would not be possible without the help of other Kabbalists, past and present. Collective prayer is also the desire that all souls reach correction , not just your own. Because all souls are connected, the progress of each soul makes a difference to the whole. When everyone does not seek correction, it is like having some students in a school class that have not read the textbook: it stops everyone in class from learning.
This is why Kabbalists spread the word of wisdom through books and learning centers to help others to correct.
Rem

Post by Rem »

Is lack of praying what causes poverty?
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Yes.

What the fuck.
Good Citizen Carl
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Religious folk have it all backwards in my opinion; they believe it is a mark of good morals to pray for others, which I believe is a mark of insanity. However, when asked if talking to oneself is insane, they would certainly agree with that. They don't see it as the same thing.

I tend to believe that talking to oneself is not necessarily insane in itself, it all depends on the quality of discussion you have having. For instance: Some of the grandest thoughts were realized by solitary men who posed questions to themselves, and then worked out the answers aloud. Who else can great men converse with?

Society tends to scorn the man who speaks to himself, but really, there is no difference between a man talking to himself, or a man taking to another man. It is the same mind regardless. At least, when a great man talks to himself, he can guarantee that the response is going to be intelligent…
Rem

Post by Rem »

Carl G wrote:Yes.

What the fuck.
I think I may be different in my interpretation of prayer: Hoping for divine intervention. I may be ignorant, I may learn something.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Rem wrote:Is lack of praying what causes poverty?
You'll always have the poor with you, but you won't have always me with you.

(a famous wisdom saying)