Generation "I"—every person is unique

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
BGen

Generation "I"—every person is unique

Post by BGen »

In our generation—generation "I"—every person is unique. But the true art is knowing how to be unique
Back in the eighties, Douglas Coupland popularized the term “Generation X,” referring to the new generation. This quickly became a hot topic, and a pop culture formed around the notion, seeking to decipher the unique qualities of the new generation. Going beyond mere curiosity, interest in the new generation was fueled by giant corporations that endeavored to find the right marketing strategy for millions of Generation X youngsters.

Today, we present “Generation I”—a generation that is typically concerned with one thing—itself!

iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iLife, iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb and iMovie all demonstrate that known Inc. has figured out the “I” trend of our generation, and more importantly, the way to market products to a generation that lives and breathes “I.” Known Inc. hit the nail on the head by putting the consumer’s “I” at the center of its marketing strategy.

Taking a longer view, it’s easy to see that iPod and other “i-Gadgets” are but examples of a much more comprehensive process that’s taking place today. People are becoming obsessed with themselves, as evidenced by the huge popularity of daily reality shows. And the "I" trend doesn’t just dictate strategies for the mass media and giant corporations; it also appears in every other realm of life.

Why is this happening? Where does such an intense feeling of uniqueness, characteristic of our generation, come from? And is there a way for us to use it as a springboard for positive change?
bert

Re: Generation "I"—every person is unique

Post by bert »

there is a need for Co-operative individualism. it provides a social milieu wherein the uniquely creative individual is free to develop and to inspire by his visions those less able to express their own genius, to approximate in fact to Baudelaire's 'dandy', to Nietzsche's 'superman', to Crowley's 'kingly man'.
Last edited by bert on Sun May 18, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Maybe the feeling of uniqueness that characterizes our generation is caused by dicto simpliciter?
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

As we become ever more robotic as beings, we celebrate the opposite view, believing we are getting freer. The pathologies of mass marketing and individual denial are what is intensifying.
Good Citizen Carl
bill

Post by bill »

[quote="BGen"] Douglas Coupland popularized the term “Generation X,” referring to the new generation. This quickly became a hot topic, and a pop culture formed around the notion, seeking to decipher the unique qualities of the new generation. Going beyond mere curiosity, interest in the new generation was fueled by giant corporations that endeavored to find the right marketing strategy for millions of Generation X youngsters.

Today, we present “Generation I”—a generation that is typically concerned with one thing—itself! [quote="BGen"]

We're beyond generation X now and talking about Generation Z for Zanax. While we're at it there is a subsection called Vitamin R for Ritalin.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I have no idea where it is stemming from (parent generation duh inducing it in there kids i think), but I do know the idea of being unique has been pushed since I was back in highschool. I can remember 10 years back being in grade school telling people that I decided I was going to be unique by following the heard. Like people think it is such a great thing to be unique, uniqueness in and of itself is not that great of a thing. Unless of course we are beginning to associate uniqueness with greatness?
Peter L

Post by Peter L »

LOL!:D!!!
BGen

Post by BGen »

Is there anything we can do to change our egoistic, destructive use of the quality of uniqueness? Baal HaSulam says that there is.

He explains that the Creator leads us to a crossroads and lets us choose which path to take. On the one hand, we can channel our quality of uniqueness towards giving and caring for others. By doing so, we use this quality the same way as the Creator, and thus eliminate the gap separating us from Him.

However, without even being aware of it, most of us choose the other alternative: using the quality of uniqueness for our own good. In other words, we desire to be greater than others, and by so doing, we increase the alienation between us. Baal HaSulam illustrates the severity of this situation with the following metaphor:

Our body is made of billions of cells, where each cell operates autonomously, realizing its own, unique purpose. Although the cells operate as individual units for “self-profit,” they are united by one common goal—to provide life and energy to the whole body. Each cell has its own self-interest, but it values the common goal even more—and that’s why the body stays alive.

However, as soon as one cell stops working for the sake of the whole body and begins working only for its own good, it starts a chain reaction called “cancer.” The first cancerous cell infects other cells with its “egoistic” tendency, causing a disintegration of the whole body.

And herein lies the problem with our modern society: The “self-interest” disease is spreading throughout humanity’s collective body, even as we speak.
Last edited by BGen on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

BGen wrote: Baal HaSulam illustrates the severity of this situation with the following metaphor:

Our body is made of billions of cells, where each cell operates autonomously, realizing its own, unique purpose. Although the cells operate as individual units for “self-profit,” they are united by one common goal—to provide life and energy to the whole body. Each cell has its own self-interest, but it values the common goal even more—and that’s why the body stays alive.
One word apoptosis. Envision more than 50 billion cells being disposed of each day. In a year it's equal to an individual's body weight.

Upsetting this process one way or another is the cause of the majority of current diseases.

As for the self: the I is worshipped and desired - but not actually possessed in any meaningful sense. It's merely rumor. The purpose of almost every fashion item is the mimicry of what is not there, after all.