Altruism

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
BGen

Altruism

Post by BGen »

What do you know about altruism? Do you think this is good or bad for people who gets altruistic help? Any thoughts?
Carl G

Re: Altruism

Post by Carl G »

We here at GF basically do not believe in altruism. Unless one is completely enlightened there is always ego involved, therefore we do for ourselves. We do for ourselves foremost even when we do for others. Nothing especially wrong with that, except to call it altruism.

Hope that helps. I wrote it for you.
Good Citizen Carl
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

If you're trying to decide whether or not to donate to the Red Cross for Myanmar disaster relief, you probably shouldn't. Even if your money somehow manages to make it through to the Burmese, it won't be good for them at all.
Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Carl G wrote:We here at GF basically do not believe in altruism. Unless one is completely enlightened there is always ego involved, therefore we do for ourselves. We do for ourselves foremost even when we do for others. Nothing especially wrong with that, except to call it altruism.

Hope that helps. I wrote it for you.
We don't really think that though as, if all is for ourselves, altruism is real in a relative sense. But we would put the above forward as the most enlightening perspective on the subject.

How very trite we are.
bert

Post by bert »

What do you know about altruism?
the determining of our altruistic purpose for any enquiry or dissection of (human) existence.
BGen

Post by BGen »

10% of all people are altruists. They need to give even never think about get it back. They are happy when they give. What do you think: are they crazy? Why it's happening?
Last edited by BGen on Thu May 15, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Altruism.. the turn around, fade away jump shot.
bert

Post by bert »

BGen wrote:10% of all people are altruists. They need to give even never think about get it back. They are happy when they give. What do you think: are they crazy? Why it's happening?
as an Ecstatic Stoic, I say: what you do not desire from others do not commit to them; far better violate yourself. and what you desire from gods or men, ask for decently and accept only when resonable as 'an equal exchange'; and if you give - forget it! for who knoweth what is for their good.
I am not alone in this world, whatever my beliefs; and I am relatively responsible for its wrongnesses. my example and my attitude can change things.
I expect nothing for nothing yet often give. I am too proud to act or to believe merely for rewards - or punishments.I act and believe in the way I consider wise and healthy: no corruption allowed. though, I may be tired and seek sanctuary, but I always return.
the veriest fool can understand the one ethic: do not desire, or do, injury to others, other than they do unto you. do as you please, to whom the pleasing is the law. return good for good, corrective punishment for injury.
virtue is positive when to yourself, for how else could you love others unless you are fit to love yourself? to do unprovoked injury to none should be the whole ethic of behaviour towards all beings. never forgive those who serve the ill , until thou hast punished them, for thou wouldst thereby injure others. Greed and wickedness survive only through ease and succes. if the law of the Country is rotten,adroitly live thine own. make punishment suitable and not excessive, as revenge would also injure thee. see that all thy motives are healthy and altruistic. the fool strikes in heat without judgement, often over-injuring, therefore 'correct' only with cold passion, knowing exactly what you do. for if we are all sons and related and are interdependent, or if others are as ourself, how can injury to them (except as correction) ultimately benefit us? your immediacies are from yesterdays, your tomorrows the aftermath of the todays: their good and evil live on.
BGen

Post by BGen »

Altruism is Life’s Principle

Altruism exists in nature, which is care for the welfare of one’s fellow man.

An object that receives from its environment and gives to it is called a living object. Every living organism consists of a combination of cells and organs that work together while complementing each other. In this process, they are obliged to concede, influence, and help one another. The law of integration of cells and organs according to the altruistic principle “one for all” is effective in every living organism.

Altruism Is Nature’s program.

Only by interacting as a single whole can cells exist, develop, and multiply. Otherwise, the general law of nature (as a general system) will influence themin an oppressive way.The law of altruistic interaction functions in every created being except in man.Man is given freedom of will to realize the need for altruism and to observe this general law of nature.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

BGen wrote: Every living organism consists of a combination of cells and organs that work together while complementing each other. In this process, they are obliged to concede, influence, and help one another. The law of integration of cells and organs according to the altruistic principle “one for all” is effective in every living organism.
Obliged to concede, influence and help one another - just as they are obliged to dispose of each other, correct, modify, use and abuse.
Peter L

Post by Peter L »

BGen,
What do you know about altruism?
I'd like to believe that it's a human quality, firmly embedded in our soul. It's the difference between good and evil and the ability to separate one from the other.

An old and smelly man is lying on the sidewalk starving to death and almost unconscious. Most people walk by without noticing, while others stare disgustedly at the remnants of failure. This goes on for quite some time, up until someone hears the old man's laborious wheezing and feels genuinely sorry for him. He runs over to the nearest convenience store and purchases a nice selection of healthy goods. He goes over to the man, helps him up and has a conversation with him, while the homeless man hungrily devours his newly found food.

- "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day."

An old and smelly man is sitting up in a Buddha position in a drunken stupor with an outstretched arm holding a dirty baseball cap and begging for money. Most people walk by without noticing, while others stare disgustedly at the remnants of failure. This goes on for quite some time, up until someone starts to feel generous and drops a couple of bucks into his hat. The old man thanks him, gets up and runs over to the nearest convenience store... He purchases some alcohol with satisfaction.

- "Give a man a fish and feel good for the day."

An old and smelly man is sitting up in a Buddha position in a drunken stupor with an outstretched arm holding a dirty baseball cap and begging for money. Most people walk by without noticing, while others stare disgustedly at the remnants of failure. This goes on for quite some time, up until someone spots the man and gets an idea. He befriends him, offers him a job, skills, a place to stay and so on. The old man hesitates and then accepts.

- "Teach a man to fish and feed him for life."

Do you think this is good or bad for people who get altruistic help?
Well, if someone needs help then I suppose it maybe a good thing. Distinguishing between need and want or necessary from unnecessary can be difficult. Acting without thought or purely on instinct can be less beneficial then not doing anything at all.

All is selfishness in a way or maybe more accurately all starts from selfishness. Wanting to be alive and to stay alive is selfish. Getting a family and providing for them is selfish for those very reasons, but the selfishness gives rise to unselfishness. Caring for a family is seen as an unselfish act even though it creates happiness for the carer (selfish). Happiness is the main goal, it is selfish, but also good. Good creates more good and unselfishness creates more unselfishness.
Peter L

Post by Peter L »

BGen,
The law of altruistic interaction functions in every created being except in man.Man is given freedom of will to realize the need for altruism and to observe this general law of nature.
Up until now, without man being as he is, this altruistic view of yours wouldn't exist. In this way, man is also altruistic, he doesn't only observe, but participates within. Unconsciously or consciously.