Depression and it's Attachments to our Society

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Relo

Depression and it's Attachments to our Society

Post by Relo »

Depression as of now is on a much larger scale then it was back in the day. Most people can agree that they at least know of someone who has it (un-diagnosed / diagnosed) or feel like they have a slight case of depression that bothers them and keeps questions that come up about why they feel drained or left out on life. I talked to a medical psychiatric doctor who specializes with adolescents and he told me that the largest problem with considerable teens at this time is depression.

Now I'm sure that all of us can come up with analogies to why depression has arisen as a problem to our daily life routines. I can give an example just to get out sort of what I mean:

Depression could be a start from the increase of human population. With more of "us" around competition arises for better life styles and freedom along with space and room to move around in and operate in. With competition being a major factor, people pick on one another for personal reasons as to maybe ease the pain of a parent or peer that might be bringing them down, sort of like a on-going cycle until it comes to the bottom and the catalyst occurs.

Of course these competitions are in relation to what our life styles have been before. For example, compare China's culture to America's culture. There are a lot more citizens in China then there are in the U.S and I can assume that they don't get as much opportunities to function as they would in China than in the U.S., so they move to the U.S. with more chances of better life styles that would give them more freedom as a human being, yet most students on average result in better test results and school teachings in China then in the U.S. from what I have observed.

Now I’m sure there are biological explanations to why depression occurs which is related to the gene pools and requires the knowledge of diet and what not of the family from the past to give an accurate assumption to how depression worked it’s way up to the recent generation. As of now, I was curious to ask what are your views on how something like depression has came up into our high demanding society that we live in today and what might it result in considering culture trends and probable group unity & organizations to take rise in the years to come?

Answer with no restrictions attached to the response that you think someone expects, just please reply on what comes to mind.
Relo

Re: Depression and it's Attachments to our Society

Post by Relo »

Perhaps we are all depressed. Perhaps our society sets us up like bowling pins and knocks us down on a day to day basis, perhaps. The mortification of our restrictions as younglings through the media and our parents re-introducing the style that they lived through to bring it to us to those who have the ill mind to not realize that this life is a tad bit on the ridiculous side.This is brought out in truth to why this happens and how it keeps us mentally ill yet functioning in society giving us an illusion to go on with our lives, motioning the same day to day basis of what we are doing, factory workers (all of us in that matter) and that we are at the top of the so called food chain being so called mentally evolved then the lower species that is considered.

Can you really blame me? I figured most of what goes around my head, and I'm guessing you can guess the age I am at to where it is in front of my eyes and it makes me want to throw out my innards, giving the judge basis that I am really not alive, I am really not human when this flesh proves me wrong inside of my humanistic mind.

From what I see, I see nature for what it is and at the core we all mix and mesh with it to keep us going. Yet nature probably gave us one more number then expected and it seemed to evolve from that giving us leave from the cycle of beings bringing up the idea that immortality is what we were looking for all along, if we enjoy the dominion, as ridiculous as it sounds.

The fun-ny thing about this is I probably will go through life meeting people that side step the ideas that I bring forth giving an expectance to how they will react, when reading this now you would really care less if I didn't give you the option because of my so called stubbornness to give you the chance to change what I think, rebellious if you will. If I accept easily it will be smoother then what I would intend, yet a smile can go a long way, when do the numbers flow over.

Something for sure that when I ask people what they feel, they would feel fine if they got along with society. Sure I could, but would I really want to obviously? Can I sit in my chair and watch people be non interactive on a day to day basis of what they feel and what they hold back which feeds off of the goodness that they are able to bring forth, yet not. It is revolving to say the most and yes, agreeable.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Interesting, but long...

-Relo-
Depression as of now is on a much larger scale then it was back in the day.

-tomas-
I'd have to research the suicide rates, a somewhat crude barometer, but the percentages generally (speaking) follow the bell curve.

-Relo-
Most people can agree that they at least know of someone who has it (un-diagnosed / diagnosed) or feel like they have a slight case of depression that bothers them and keeps questions that come up about why they feel drained or left out on life.

-tomas-
When I ride with the cops, see it all the time. Whether they are homeless, middle class, wealthy, The ups-and-down go with each of ours' shadows.

-Relo-
I talked to a medical psychiatric doctor who specializes with adolescents and he told me that the largest problem with considerable teens at this time is depression.

-tomas-
Of all the medical fields: psychiatric doctors have the highest suicide rate...

-Relo-
Now I'm sure that all of us can come up with analogies to why depression has arisen as a problem to our daily life routines.

-tomas-
No, not here. Haven't been depressed more than 15 minutes in my entire life.

-Relo-
I can give an example just to get out sort of what I mean:
Depression could be a start from the increase of human population. With more of "us" around competition arises for better life styles and freedom along with space and room to move around in and operate in. With competition being a major factor, people pick on one another for personal reasons as to maybe ease the pain of a parent or peer that might be bringing them down, sort of like a on-going cycle until it comes to the bottom and the catalyst occurs.

-tomas-
The fog will begin to lift once you hit 45........

-Relo-
Of course these competitions are in relation to what our life styles have been before. For example, compare China's culture to America's culture. There are a lot more citizens in China then there are in the U.S and I can assume that they don't get as much opportunities to function as they would in China than in the U.S., so they move to the U.S. with more chances of better life styles that would give them more freedom as a human being, yet most students on average result in better test results and school teachings in China then in the U.S. from what I have observed.

-tomas-
Too much of a broad sweep, here. I've been to four parts of China, and I've but touched the surface. A total of ten months spent there. (Five business/political trips, two vacations with the girlfriend and kids.) That being said ... If I were single, I'd have moved there first opportunity all those years ago. As luck would have it, I met my soulmate and happenstance occurred :-)

-Relo-
Now I'm sure there are biological explanations to why depression occurs which is related to the gene pools and requires the knowledge of diet and what not of the family from the past to give an accurate assumption to how depression worked it's way up to the recent generation.

-tomas-
Sure, the devil (and QRS) are in the details :-/

-Relo-
As of now, I was curious to ask what are your views on how something like depression has came up into our high demanding society that we live in today and what might it result in considering culture trends and probable group unity & organizations to take rise in the years to come?

-tomas-
More ghettos. A (quite literally) disappearing middle class. More coerced psychiatric drugging by The State.

-Relo-
Answer with no restrictions attached to the response that you think someone expects, just please reply on what comes to mind.

-tomas-
If I had to do it all over again ... I would have gone to Ft. Leavenworth for 5 years instead of accepted being drafted and sent to VietNam to kill the old men, mothers with children. In essence, anyone who got in the way. Kill or be killed.

Forgiveness happens when one exhales their last breath.

PS - I'll get to your nxt post sometime later.
Thanks, Relo, for the chat.

Peter L

Post by Peter L »

Relo,
Depression as of now is on a much larger scale then it was back in the day.
Perhaps people weren't as open with others. It was once considered insane to talk about one's problems. Now, people set appointments with psychologists to do that very thing. The results vary, some feel helped while others don't, some are sensitive while others aren't. Whatever the case, the psychologist will get payed.

Why do psychologists take up that line of work -- comfort, large salaries, coping strategies, personal reasons (maybe a suicide death in the family haunts them...) or most of the above and other... .

A few factors for depression are: diet, genetics, experiences, lifestyle, etc... Greed for money and power is promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices. A few examples might be: junk food, don't do it yourself devices, pharmaceutics, other propaganda, media, etc... Also, reasons for depression aren't solely growing because of the above, but also because (as someone may have stated) population levels are increases and there's more influence amongst the populace, which causes a higher increase, etc...
With more of "us" around competition arises for better life styles and freedom along with space and room to move around in and operate in. With competition being a major factor, people pick on one another for personal reasons as to maybe ease the pain of a parent or peer that might be bringing them down, sort of like a on-going cycle until it comes to the bottom and the catalyst occurs.
It's odd, but it happens - probably because of ancient instincts and learned habits. Churches are all about sharing and being kind, but most church goers don't understand that part or most of it, for that matter. As soon as something threatens their beliefs they retaliate even though the teachings say not to. It's almost as if the teachings disappear as soon as the church disappears. People fall in love with the process (traditions, appearances, feeling part of something much larger then themselves), but not the reasons why the process exists.
There are a lot more citizens in China then there are in the U.S and I can assume that they don't get as much opportunities to function as they would in China than in the U.S., so they move to the U.S. with more chances of better life styles that would give them more freedom as a human being
I think you've contradicted yourself.
yet most students on average result in better test results and school teachings in China then in the U.S. from what I have observed.
I'm not sure what you mean. From my experience, most people from Europe do much better in the Canadian educational system, because the level of education is much higher in their homeland. I would think it was like that in China, because that's what I heard... Maybe not.
Now I’m sure there are biological explanations to why depression occurs which is related to the gene pools and requires the knowledge of diet and what not of the family from the past to give an accurate assumption to how depression worked it’s way up to the recent generation.
Of course, it's all biology, experiences, etc.
I was curious to ask what are your views on how something like depression came up into our high demanding society that we live in today and what might it result in considering culture trends and probable group unity & organizations to take rise in the years to come?
How does depression affect society and our future?

Some will benefit while some won't and some will suffer while others won't.
That's definitely not possible, sorry.
Peter L

Post by Peter L »

Depression is a limp dick!
Relo

Post by Relo »

I probably have OCD then, lol
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

-tomas-
Of all the medical fields: psychiatric doctors have the highest suicide rate...
And that is saying something, as among all the professions, medical doctors in general have the highest suicide rate.

The traditional wisdom is that suicidal depression is the result of realizing that you have fundamentally, irresversibly failed to fulfill your societal role. The joke is that doctors get away with more than most because they literally "bury their mistakes." The reality is different - they are not getting away with anything. Doctors realize people count on them for cures they often cannot provide, and that many people who come to them for help often die despite their best efforts. This leads to statistically high rates of suicide, much higher than among the general public.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

The traditional wisdom is that suicidal depression is the result of realizing that you have fundamentally, irresversibly failed to fulfill your societal role
Which is questionable, I might add, as priests do not seem to be offing themselves in high numbers. I guess it requires a conscience.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Peter L wrote:Depression is a limp dick!
Was it Mae West who said "A hard man is good to find"?
HUNTEDvsINVIS

Post by HUNTEDvsINVIS »

You must take into consideration how much crap we actually eat on a daily basis. Do you know what chemicals and lack of fibre does to people? No one under the sun gets depression like I do, and you know what, I went on a massive cleansing diet, just chowed fruit from our trees for days and days and my entire brain restored itself. No milk or other trash. I think about 5 times faster again!! Try it. I live in a very dangerous society but my mood went up a lot. Fruit should be a religion. ( note: I have my own fruit trees...fresh ones are the best )
tek0

Post by tek0 »

I love you

No really man

Ok seriously our land was never so jacked up nor our bodies until the rush for instant wealth no matter the cost wrenched the populations up for religious or practical reasons.

So yes millions upon millions of us do not eat right when it should ultimately be one of humanities greatest priorities to keep the stasis going until our speicies can master the processes that allow for homeostasis to occur for more than the criminals who claim the right to create wealth and nation states.

Last time I checked world banks hold all the sway in terms of making technological changes and yet they are scared to death some other group will seize their powers and hence the world scarcity of food and precious stones.

Happily ever fucking after as long as your jews don't get nuked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rd6u0un ... re=related

Never mind the fact that I have seen these cunts who operate on shadow budgets which are pure make farking believen anyways travel on what amounts to technology that is far over 20-50 years over the curve if they choose for it to be.

I am not falling for that shit.

rendition me or call me a fucking moron cause I will only swallow so much.
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

I've thought of a couple reasons that depression might be higher...

First is that traditions have largely deteriorated in the "developed" countries. Most people want to feel like they know they're doing the right thing, and tradition (religious, familial, societal) can provide a means of assurance for them. The decline of organized religion and of organized voluntary associations in general means that traditions aren't a guide any longer for many people, and they feel less of a sense of purpose as they don't have a pre-set "path" to follow.

Second is that people are spending less time outside than they used to. Now that TV has hundreds of channels, tons of people have Internet and video games, etc. Less time outside means that they get less sunlight. If you take a look at the Wikipedia list that ranks countries by suicide rate, you notice something: most of the countries in the top thirty or so are north of the Canadian border, while most of the countries near the bottom are equatorial, getting lots of sun. The amount of sunlight that people get has a pretty close inverse relationship with depression and suicide, on average.
Unicorns up in your butt!