The Fundamental Unity of Being

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Jehu

Re: The Fundamental Unity of Being

Post by Jehu »

Iolaus wrote:So Jehu,

Where do we go next?
Before we return to the matter of the path that leads to insight, I believe I should say something more with regard to the Law of Identity (Principle of Interdependent Complementarity), and the manner it determines the identity of a relative entity.

First, let me differentiate between the terms “nature’ and “essence” – which are often taken to be identical. The nature of a thing is two-fold, for it comprise the two necessary kinds of causes (“operative” and “constitutive”). The constitutive causes are what we call the “essence” of the thing, or its “essential nature”, while the operative cause is called the thing’s “existential nature”. The essential nature of a thing is that aspect which is perceived through the senses, while the existential nature is that aspect which only the mind itself can perceive. With respect to an individual thing, these two aspects manifest as what the ancient Greeks called “form” (existential nature) and “matter” (essential nature); and although these are not real (for they are subject to change), they are actual (objective). I shall now attempt to explain the manner whereby the manifestation of relative entities is made possible; though I will understand if you do not grasp it right away.

These two primitive elements (form and matter(essence)) differ from the other class of relative entities (imaginary) in a very important way, for each is rooted in the other, and so together they are able to bridge the divide between the imaginer (Absolute) and the imaginary (relative). As we said before, any entity must possess both a form and an essence, for neither is capable of being (perceived or imagined) on its own. Form, is the absolute aspect of a thing, but it is not the Absolute itself, for the Absolute is an entity, while form alone is not. Form, you see, is devoid of any intrinsic essence (ethereal), and so it is free to move from one essence to another; and it is for this reason that a single thing may be constituted in a wide range of different essences. Essence, on the other hand, is devoid of any intrinsic form (watery), and it is for this reason that it can take on whatever form is imposed upon it. Now, these two elements are, of course, the very nature of the Absolute, and given that the Absolute is cognizant, it is aware of the interplay between the two; and the inviolable law which governs their interaction. However, so too are the interactions (things) aware, for they partake of the same cognizant nature as does the Absolute; however, their (the things) awareness is limited to that knowledge wherein they are embodied, and so they are ignorant of their true nature – ignorance (unawareness) being the characteristic of the knowledge in which they dwell.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Very good, Jehu.
Now, these two elements are, of course, the very nature of the Absolute,
Form and essence are the nature of the absolute?

Now I shall go to dinner and meditate upon form lacking essence, and essence lacking form.
Truth is a pathless land.
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

To the Group:

There are so many comments I should enjoy commenting on, but time precludes me.

I shall restrict my observations to helpful hints:

Does this group really think that Scholastic ontology metaphysics and German-British idealism capture our perception of reality in 2009?

This talk of existence/essence, absolute/relative, necessary/contingent, uncaused or self-caused/caused appears to be word knowledge building up on word knowledge.

Does not our post-modern philosophical grasp of things deals with event knowledge, direct experience (brain/body/behavior/environment)? After all, how are we staying alive in 2009?

The 'Absolute' is queerly being suspiciously controvertible to 'God.' Here self-circularity rules obtain, when one inflicts the Wittgensteinian word game template on the narrative arguments here. Because a watch implies a watchmaker, does not mean a world implies a world maker. Here we use the post-modern diction of the Science of Data (What is actually running things in our everyday lives): inputs> process > outputs.

We view physical reality as a process in spacetime (four dimensional). What is going on in this spacetime: convertibility between energy and matter. The rules of these exchanges between energy and matter constitutes information. Energy flows; matter cycles.

Does this language capture a better sense of the present world space we are living within?

Respectfully,

John E.D.P. Malin

P.S. Iolaus, thank you for your lovely presentation. I did not realize intelligence or I.Q. had anything to do with level of school performance achieved. It is merely an investment in a personality. Generally, one has to shake off a great deal of nonsense which one has learned in order to learn correctly.

The technological mantra is: Learn > Unlearn > Relearn > Uplearn ! The key in grasping concrete conceptual knowledge growth is 'unlearn.' We pick up a great deal of wrong information in our journey through life, especially, if we have a trusting, honest, outgoing nature (we humans instinctively treat others as ourselves [mirror neurons at work in our brain as filtered through our experience buffer]).

--
Blair

Post by Blair »

Where do we go next?
Perhaps this thread could be deleted.
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

Prince:

Nice hearing from you? [Forgive the synaethesia; I am not hearing you, I am reading you.]

I think you are correct. It is time to retire this well-worked, worn-out old mule. Deletion would be too cruel; retire it to pasture where it can comfortably die in obscurity, when it is no longer capable of feeding meaningful information in the brain.

John
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Bird,

You are quite educated; better sometimes to be an 8th grade dropout like me.
What? You used to be a psychologist.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Shahrazad wrote:Bird,

You are quite educated; better sometimes to be an 8th grade dropout like me.
The Bird is interesting :-)

Equally so is Iolaus :-)

Now, this newbie, Pontius Malin, is another story :-(
Don't run to your death
Loki

Post by Loki »

Malin strikes me as interesting. Odd, but interesting.

Welcome to the forum John!
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Loki wrote:Malin strikes me as interesting. Odd, but interesting.

Welcome to the forum John!
Or, a genius IQ of 170+
Don't run to your death
Jehu

Post by Jehu »

John wrote:We view physical reality as a process in spacetime (four dimensional). What is going on in this spacetime: convertibility between energy and matter. The rules of these exchanges between energy and matter constitutes information. Energy flows; matter cycles.

Does this language capture a better sense of the present world space we are living within?
“From here on, learn the subjective beliefs of mortals; listen to the deceptive ordering of my words.”[Parmenides – On Nature (Doxa)]

The path of opinion, be it that of the fifth century BCE Greeks, or that of modern Western science, is still opinion; and since scientific opinions (suppositions) are founded upon the way things appear to be (empirical observations), it is not the least bit surprising that the “uncritical tribes” should find it easy to accept the scientific explanation of the world. However, it is not so easy to accept, for those who chose the path of reason. Unfortunately, no one within the scientific community has yet seen fit to put forward a rational metaphysical basis for the physical sciences, and so a multitude of logical inconsistencies abound. I suppose that they, like yourself, hold metaphysics to be, “word knowledge building up on word knowledge”.
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

To the Group:

As the dons told me when I was a young man at Oxford University, "Mr. Malin you are not bright, you are merely well read." Whether this was snobbishness or astuteness on their part, my vanity does not permit me to inquire.

Anyway, I have a classical library of more than 10,000 scholarly treatises in 24 languages of the major texts of humanity of the last 40 centuries. I have had the leisure to read these books in my private library for 40 years or more. I built up my knowledge base by mastering the ancient languages. It is far more easier to assimilate, process and store knowledge in the brain this way, at least, the working portion of memory.

My brother wants to join here. I have enticed his mathematical mind to this site. I told him about your discussion of Identity, A = A ! A theoretical mathematician who understands mathematical logic has much to contribute here that the group would enjoy.

Lastly, equally, I have enjoyed all of your comments.

We are engaging in social networking here. We do not actually know each other for the most part, yet we actually enter into each others' consciousness. Strange isn't it?

Respectfully,

John E.D.P. Malin

P.S. My business duties will become severe fairly soon, so I do not know how long I can contribute here; I hope at least for a few more days. As I wrote elsewhere here, you merely have to http://www.webcrawler.com or http://www.google.com under "John E.D.P. Malin" to find out what I have been up to or am doing. I am a public persona in Louisiana !

--
Last edited by JohnEDPMalin on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

John,

I did Google you and found nothing. I also Googled your alleged company Informatica and found it exists in California, being run by executives primarily from India. I also Googled the couple of towns in Louisiana where you've mentioned you are from. They also do not exist. So, what gives??
Good Citizen Carl
Loki

Post by Loki »

Carl,

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/11/625/b4a

^ That's what I found when I searched his name.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Carl,

I used to live in Louisiana and Breaux Bridge definitely exists.

John, ever been in Welch?
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

Carl:

That is very strange that your Google Search does not show up for me.

Where are you located?

There is another Informatica Corporation in California named Informatica that was started in 1997 (I believe); I started in 1984. Since the name Informatica is neo-Latin for Computer Science, it is not patentable.

However, Cecilia, Louisiana and Breaux Bridge, Louisana do indeed exist. Google our local newspaper [http://www.techetoday.com] to read my Letter to the Editor last Wednesday (our local parish, St. Martin Parish, Louisiana has one newspaper that comes out on Wednesday; in Louisiana, counties are called parishes). Use http;//www.webcrawler.com to see if you can access my public internet presence.

Did you enter my complete aristocratic Germanic name: John E.D.P. Malin ?

Try again Carl!

Respectfully,

John E.D.P. Malin

--
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Loki wrote:Carl,

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/11/625/b4a

^ That's what I found when I searched his name.
I "found" that, too. It's nothing.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

I was kidding about the towns not existing, but I did go to their yellow pages and there is no Informatica listed. I'm through searching for now, but in the back of my mind I do wonder if John or his company actually exist. I'm thinking some of those Indian executives are having fun at our expense. Ten thousand volume classical library, har-har, yeah, put that in there, it will really rattle their chains!
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

Loki, Shahrazad & Carl:

Loki, I just signed up for Linkedin.com last week or so. However, you should have found a great deal more information on me than that.

Shahrazad, I know of Welch, Louisiana. I think I had been there only once. I live in Acadiana as you may know the regional name of which it is an 8 parish area, of which the oldest historical section is St. Martin Parish.

Check out my newspaper link above to see if you can access my local letter I wrote on federal grants under the Obama stimulus package. I discuss our company in the letter to my fellow citizens.

It does not serve a useful purpose to engage in deceit with your fellow man or woman. My simple truthful claims should be validatable by you.

Respectfully,

John E.D.P. Malin

--
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Dear John,

On your post of 11:02, it is difficult to discern what you may have said. This is why I find western academic philosophy tedious, and mostly stick to eastern. If someone wanted to give me a synopsis, it might no doubt prove that such and such a philosopher gave us a profound insight. Without that, I'll never know.

You seem to express tiredness with overly academic approaches to philosophy, and yet your own remarks are virtually written in its code, a code I haven't learned. It isn't really English, but a codified form of English.

I agree physical reality is an energy flow process in spacetime; my interest is more in understanding or finding out what underlies it, of what it is made.
The 'Absolute' is queerly being suspiciously controvertible to 'God.'
Queerly? Is it unseemly then?
I do shamelessly use the word God; Jehu does not although he has adjusted himself well enough to my use of it.
Jehu and others feel that the word God itself carries baggage but, having lost all ambivalence about God, the word for me is a reminder of joy.
I did not realize intelligence or I.Q. had anything to do with level of school performance achieved.
Good, but I had been responding to your remark to Trevor:

A technical vocabulary in a learned language is standard practice in academic circles, how you weed out the fools!

Anyway, despite my caustic tone in spots, I think this is tremendous and wonderful: (If only life were longer!)

Anyway, I have a classical library of more than 10,000 scholarly treatises in 24 languages of the major texts of humanity of the last 40 centuries. I have had to leisure to read these books in my private library for 40 years or more.

Shah
What!?? When? Does reading The Id, The Ego, and The Superego at age 11 make me a psychologist?
Truth is a pathless land.
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

Carl:

I am not in the Yellow Pages.

You can access on line the Secretary of State's Office in Louisiana under Corporate Charters for validation of my Louisiana corporation since 1984.

I just did a Google.com and Webcrawler.com search engine under my name [John E.D.P. Malin] and found 9,420 references and 54 references respectively. I don't think you are digesting what you are seeing online.

John

--
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

Iolaus:

To answer your direct question, my interest in Eastern philosophy was motivated by the Oxford Oriental Library of Eastern Texts for philological scholarly purposes. There all the major Persian, Indian, Chinese, Tibetan, Japanese and Korean texts can be found in the original language and transliteration and translation with learned commentaries by competent Commentators. Dover paperback has reprinted many of these texts.

What you discover is the great similarity of concepts and insights from these various schools of learning.

If you like energy notions, you will really enjoy a wonderful paperback put out in 2006 by the University of Chicago Press. It is "Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics and Life." It is written for people such as you and me and this group. The authors are Eric D. Schneider & Dorion Sagan. It explains nature's energy gradients. The Laws of Thermodynamics have not been properly appreciated as they impinge on Economics and Biological Systems. Here the Law of Entropy [Greek term for "transformation"] or the tendency of nature or any physical-chemical system to dissipate energy, hence deposit pollution and waste while it attempts to capture, process or store energy to maintain its meta-stable existence (there is no such thing as a stable system---even our sun will peter out in 4 billion years).

Presently, in addition to reading this treatise (I am almost finish with it, 362 pages), I have made an exhaustive treatment of Egyptian 'scientific' magicians who flourished from the 1st Century BCE to the 5th Century ADE. These were the lector priests [Eg. Kheri-Heb] who had acquired astute mathematics and neo-Platonic philosophical training. There purpose was to bring down the gods into their statues located in their shrines and temples that then conversed with the faithful. It was based on the oracle structure of yes or no questions alone (and the statue would move its head or nod to determine which answer was correct). See http://www.egyptologyonline.com/priests.htm

This mass amount of material over five centuries had been totally obliterated by the nonsense of Christianity. It was these 'spiritual' men who eventually created the great body of philosophical work that flourished under Plotinus, Longinus, Porphry, Iamblichus and Proclus. I had read in my youth Proclus' work in Greek, The Elements of Theology (edition by E. R. Dodds). There has been recently a complete re-appraisal of these late antiquity scholars. The Roman Catholic Church dismissed them as "mathematicoi" or wizards in the 8th Century ACE. The theological structure of Roman Catholics is taken from these scholars. Our concept of the Trinity is pure Egyptian theological conception.

Well, I have written too much. I fear I have exhausted my lady's intellectual charm by too much too quickly in her face (as they say).

Respectfully,

John E.D.P. Malin

--
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

iolaus,
What!?? When? Does reading The Id, The Ego, and The Superego at age 11 make me a psychologist?
You're not? I could've sworn Bird of Hermes stated she was a clinical psychologist, but I guess it's possible that confusion has taken over my brain after all these years. I wonder who I'm thinking of.
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

Shahrazad:

I left you some comments.

I understand you had lived in Louisiana?

I trust the group can validate my claims. Their search engines should work like my search engines!

Respectfully,

John E.D.P. Malin

--
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

John,

I don't actually doubt you are who you say you are. I just found it curious when I searched for your company, for the fun of it, and could only find another company with the same name.
Good Citizen Carl
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

John, I'm paranoid about cyber stalkers, so I'll send you a pm tomorrow.