The Fundamental Unity of Being

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Jehu

Re: The Fundamental Unity of Being

Post by Jehu »

Jehu, people meditate, many, many of them, and I don't see them getting very enlightened. Doesn't seem very dangerous to me.
Do not be fooled by appearances, for there is much more to mediation than merely sitting still on a cushion.
Well now this I can accept and is in line with what I suspect, although the above is almost a contradictory statement. The relative being and the whole of Being are really one in the same.
Yes, it can seem contradictory, but we cannot rightfully say that a relative entity has a self, for to have is to be possessed of, and the relative entity possesses no characteristics of its own (i.e., properties) – and especially not cognizant awareness.
Did you not anticipate this?
Yes, of course, for I have followed this line of reasoning before; nevertheless, there were points raised in the enquiry which enriched my own understanding of the doctrine.
Christian? For real? Taoist might be nice. Never heard of a Taoist meditation center.
Meditation was an integral part for the Christen religion throughout the first millennia, especially among the monastic communities; and its neglect – in favour of prayer, may account for why so few modern Christens have been able to achieve enlightenment. Anyway, you will find that there has been a resurgence in the practice, and mediation centres have been springing up all over. Further, you will find that meditation has always been and still remains a mainstay within the esoteric core of all the great religions of the world.
What about books. Any you recommend?
I highly recommend the book, “Turning The Mind into an Ally” by Sakyong Mipham, the spiritual head of the Shambhala Tradition, a branch of Tibetan Buddhism.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ah, and this is why I will never be enlightened, I have no stomach for meditation, something I found out when I was young,. I am glad I know this about myself as it saves me much grief needlessly spinning my wheels. Thanks for the reminder.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Well, it looks like a good book.
Truth is a pathless land.
Foreigner

Post by Foreigner »

Carl G wrote:Ah, and this is why I will never be enlightened, I have no stomach for meditation, something I found out when I was young,. I am glad I know this about myself as it saves me much grief needlessly spinning my wheels. Thanks for the reminder.
Formal meditation is what you have in mind (ah, no pun intended) and is not what is necessary for so-called enlightenment.
The book probably just explains what to do with yourself to improve your thinking.
FOREIGNER