Boundaries

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Isaac

Boundaries

Post by Isaac »

Hi all,

This thread is about whether or not boundaries are objectively real. I always thought they were.

But Dan seems to be insisting otherwise:
Dan Rowden wrote: I defy you to show the boundary between anything at all, let alone the body and its environment.
You're pretty confident! Well.....

My skin and the hair that grows from it seem like a pretty definable boundary between my body and it's environment. How can you deny such obvious boundaries? In what way are they not objectively real?
Relo

Re: Boundaries

Post by Relo »

Boundaries to me seem somewhat abstract, or for what atleast Dan wrote in my point of view for the moment. Boundaries seem to stay for sometimes from a fence on the lawn to the physical body composition of skin and hair, but really these boundaries can be reached and passed by if you consider them boundaries as of that state even if they limit yourself or others. Eventually these boundaries are met or renewed by another outside source or diminished by time itself, seeing as time is the greater force by my point of view, then that could be one reason why I view them as abstract and possibly a figment of our imagination.

This of course goes along with the composition of our body, as we too eventually degrade and are brought back to the origins of the earth and genes passed on humanistically to others related to children you might have or whether you decide not to. Even technology can change these boundaries of our body as you have seen with modern day technology which will eventually evolve coherent to our brains that take part in the evolutionary upgrade of all living things.

For now I still believe that a boundary can be as simple as saying it can be abstract and can be passed through, but of course there is still more to be searched about and it keeps it’s place solemnly where it is.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

David did a good job of explaining that in Wisdom of the Infinite.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Isaac, what do you mean by "objectively real"? It's not altogether clear, since you call a "pretty definable boundary" objectively real. However, something that many people (subjects) define as a boundary is not objective at all -- it is merely agreement among many subjects.

Something that is objectively real would be present regardless of subjects; that is to say, even if no consciousness apprehends it, an object still exists (however unintelligible its unapprehended form may be). But I see no evidence that this is what you are referring to when you call boundaries "objectively real". I see you defending a mislabelled subjectivism.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Isaac wrote:Hi all,

This thread is about whether or not boundaries are objectively real. I always thought they were.

But Dan seems to be insisting otherwise:
Dan Rowden wrote: I defy you to show the boundary between anything at all, let alone the body and its environment.
You're pretty confident! Well.....

My skin and the hair that grows from it seem like a pretty definable boundary between my body and it's environment. How can you deny such obvious boundaries? In what way are they not objectively real?
If your philosophy can take any physical thing and render it not objectively real, it can obviously do the same for the physical thing's apparent boundaries.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:David did a good job of explaining that in Wisdom of the Infinite.
This section in particular is of relevance (taken from Chapter 5):
Similarly, the perception of contrasts between different objects also cannot be disputed - for example, the visible contrast between what seems like a tree and what seems like empty space surrounding the tree. This direct perception of contrasts is beyond the possibility of being an hallucination. It is real. And yet, at the same time, these contrasts are never anything more an appearance to us as an observer. The perspective that we create as observers is what allows these contrasts to come into being in the first place. They have no other reality outside of this.

A white cloud can seem sharply divided from the blue sky from our perspective here on the ground, yet if we were to zoom up to the cloud and try to establish where the boundary between the cloud and sky actually lies, we would not be able to do it. The seemingly sharp boundary would give way to a fuzzy continuum in which the cloud gradually thins out. Even the densest pieces of matter lack clear-cut edges when viewed from the molecular or sub-atomic perspective. This illustrates the more general truth that the boundaries and contrasts we perceive directly in the world are appearances only. They are entities which only exist to an observer with a particular kind of perspective. Outside of this perspective, they have no existence at all.

The contrasts that we perceive directly in the world obviously play a very large role in determining how we should mentally carve up the world into "things". So when I said earlier that the carving up process was an arbitrary one, I was using term "arbitrary" rather loosely. Even though the way we mentally carve up the world is arbitrary in the sense that we could easily choose to carve it up in a different manner if we wanted to, it is undeniable that there are ways of carving which seem more natural and practical than others.

For example, it is usually more natural for us to draw boundaries around a tree at the interface of its bark (or branches or leaves) and the surrounding space, rather than, say, at a line ten meters further out into space. It is more natural because the tree presents a natural outline due to the contrast between its dense molecular structure and the relative emptiness of the surrounding space. We generally find it more useful to think of the tree as consisting solely of the dense molecular part, as opposed to, say, the "dense molecular part + ten meters of surrounding space".

There are many instances, though, where this is not the case. Consider, for example, the boundaries of Australia. Although there appears to be a natural outline of Australia in the interface of its coasts and the adjoining seas, it is politically more useful to extend its boundaries further out to sea, thus enabling the Australian Government to patrol its coastlines and protect its interests more effectively. The strip of ocean between the coastline and this projected boundary is officially regarded as being part of Australia. Importantly, the widening of Australia in this manner is no more contrived or artificial than that of confining it to its coastlines. Whether one chooses to lay the boundaries at the coastlines or further out to sea, the process is exactly the same. In both cases, a mental boundary is cutting up what is essentially a causal continuum.

In the end, how we choose to carve up the world is not so much an arbitrary process on our parts, but one that is specifically determined by our goals and values. It is our desires and values which determine what goals we have, and, in turn, what kind of world we ultimately perceive. Hence the profound comment by the Buddha that "the world is created by desire".
-
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Ok, so I've read a great deal of your book, David, and I must say, I just can't bring myself to swallow it.

I think the "totality" is just your perspective on what I see as a vast number of discrete bits and pieces.

In your book, you said something along the lines of: "the causal processes inside our bodies merge seamlessly with the causal processes in the outer environment to form one vast sea of causation. In a very real sense, "we" are not even there.

I'm imagining you sitting in a yoga pose chanting nonsense syllables!

I mean this when I ask it: do you seriously believe this stuff?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Where are your reasons not to? You don't seem to have mounted any real argument to this point. All you're really saying is that you don't want to accept something because it seems counterintuitive.

And regarding the "totality" - there has to be one irregardless of whether its bits and pieces are "discreet" or not.

I don't recall, ever, anyone giving a proper example of a boundary where one thing begins and another ends in all the years of discussing this issue. Boundaries are simply where we perceive differentiation. They have no reality beyond that.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Isaac wrote:I mean this when I ask it: do you seriously believe this stuff?
Of course he believes it. The real question is why he believes it and why you should.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Dan Rowden wrote:Boundaries are simply where we perceive differentiation. They have no reality beyond that.
Yes, but they are real in the same sense the number 3 is real. And all the other numbers. Boundaries are not something a rational person would dismiss as "having no reality" in the same way he would dismiss a fairy tale.
Last edited by brokenhead on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Isaac wrote:Ok, so I've read a great deal of your book, David, and I must say, I just can't bring myself to swallow it.

I think the "totality" is just your perspective on what I see as a vast number of discrete bits and pieces.

In your book, you said something along the lines of: "the causal processes inside our bodies merge seamlessly with the causal processes in the outer environment to form one vast sea of causation. In a very real sense, "we" are not even there.

I'm imagining you sitting in a yoga pose chanting nonsense syllables!

I mean this when I ask it: do you seriously believe this stuff?
It's the truth.

When you look through the eyes of causality and see everything as a vast causal process, it becomes an arbitrary choice as to where to demarcate "things". What is the difference between the causal processes inside an object and those which act externally upon it? None, from a causal perspective. It is seamless causality at play.

And that is the main point about boundaries. They only appear to exist from certain perspectives and disappear as soon as you going looking for them. In other words, their existence is merely apparent, like a mirage, and not objectively real.

-
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

And that is the main point about boundaries. They only appear to exist from certain perspectives and disappear as soon as you going looking for them.
I wonder how many philosophers were gunned down at the Berlin Wall?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

23, but they were Objectivists so it serves them right.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

brokenhead wrote:
And that is the main point about boundaries. They only appear to exist from certain perspectives and disappear as soon as you going looking for them.
I wonder how many philosophers were gunned down at the Berlin Wall?
You mean, killed by those who were very attached to an imagined political boundary?

-
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

That's right. You know, those Objectivist bastards that were trying to scale an imaginary political boundary. Well, shit. Their blood wasn't real, anyway.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Um, you do understand that the behaviour of objects and our inability to alter it isn't an argument against what we're saying, right? i.e. the observation that we can't walk through walls does not mean that boundaries are objectively real.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Do you mean do I "get" your philosophy? Yes, quite.

What is objectively real, then?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Dan Rowden,
Dan Rowden wrote:
Isaac wrote: I mean this when I ask it: do you seriously believe this stuff?
Where are your reasons not to? You don't seem to have mounted any real argument to this point. All you're really saying is that you don't want to accept something because it seems counterintuitive.

I don't see a reason to take it seriously. You guys are indulging in mere word games!
Dan Rowden wrote:And regarding the "totality" - there has to be one irregardless of whether its bits and pieces are "discreet" or not.

What is the point of "the totality" as a concept? That's all "totality" is -- a concept that is supposed to unit disparate bits into a whole whether or not they have anything to do with each other.
Dan Rowden wrote: I don't recall, ever, anyone giving a proper example of a boundary where one thing begins and another ends in all the years of discussing this issue. Boundaries are simply where we perceive differentiation. They have no reality beyond that.
When I walk out of a room, everything that is within my skin or is physically attached to my skin comes with me. Everything else stays behind. That's a meaningful boundary.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

David Quinn,
David Quinn wrote:When you look through the eyes of causality and see everything as a vast causal process, it becomes an arbitrary choice as to where to demarcate "things". What is the difference between the causal processes inside an object and those which act externally upon it? None, from a causal perspective. It is seamless causality at play.

And that is the main point about boundaries. They only appear to exist from certain perspectives and disappear as soon as you go looking for them. In other words, their existence is merely apparent, like a mirage, and not objectively real.
Inject some morphine into the chair that you're sitting on. Next, inject some under your skin. You've just discovered an objectively real boundary.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

brokenhead wrote:Do you mean do I "get" your philosophy? Yes, quite.

What is objectively real, then?
Well, Dan? I'm tired of bumping into walls that are not there. Give me a hint. If a wall is not objectively real, then something else must be, or you wouldn't waste time making this distinction.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Isaac wrote:David Quinn,
David Quinn wrote:When you look through the eyes of causality and see everything as a vast causal process, it becomes an arbitrary choice as to where to demarcate "things". What is the difference between the causal processes inside an object and those which act externally upon it? None, from a causal perspective. It is seamless causality at play.

And that is the main point about boundaries. They only appear to exist from certain perspectives and disappear as soon as you go looking for them. In other words, their existence is merely apparent, like a mirage, and not objectively real.
Inject some morphine into the chair that you're sitting on. Next, inject some under your skin. You've just discovered an objectively real boundary.
If the boundary between myself and the rest of Nature was objectively real, then the needle wouldn't be able to pass through it and reach in under my skin. Similarly, I would not able to take advantage of the chair's mass and use it to support my body. It is precisely because boundaries are merely imaginary that interactions between things can take place at all - indeed, as easily as the interactions that occcur within things.

If we are to use differences in behaviour as the criteria for determining that boundaries are objectively real, then what of the differences within your own body? Take a bone out of your body and leave it sitting there on the table and it will just stay put, unmoving. Yet take some blood out and it will spill everywhere, staining everything in its path. Does this mean there is an objectively real boundary between the blood and bones inside your body?

If we were to take this line of thought to its logical conclusion, we would have to conclude that your entire body is nothing but a dense mass of objectively real boundaries. Yet even that's not true, for each of the components inside your body which have these objective boundaries can themselves be broken up into parts, with each of these parts having their own objective boundaries. Indeed, we can keep whittling it all down until there is nothing left at all, other than objective boundaries. The entire world would consist of nothing else but objective boundaries, each of them surrounding nothing at all.

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Isaac,

I think that you are too attached to seeing things your way to be able to understand what David is saying. The following is not what David is trying to tell you, but it should help you hear him.

If you and David were seated at a table, and a waitress put identical plates of food in front of each of you, where David saw dinner, you might see ribs, mashed potatoes, and green beans. It does not matter nearly so much what is on the plate as it matters how you could see how David could see that as dinner, and David can see how you see that as ribs, potatoes, and green beans. What would be even better is if both of you could also see how the waitress might see them both as House Special #5.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Isaac,

I think that you are too attached to seeing things your way to be able to understand what David is saying. The following is not what David is trying to tell you, but it should help you hear him.

If you and David were seated at a table, and a waitress put identical plates of food in front of each of you, where David saw dinner, you might see ribs, mashed potatoes, and green beans. It does not matter nearly so much what is on the plate as it matters how you could see how David could see that as dinner, and David can see how you see that as ribs, potatoes, and green beans. What would be even better is if both of you could also see how the waitress might see them both as House Special #5.
Well, I think it is quite clear, but could all three agree that it is food and satisfies hunger? What difference would it make if personally perceived details differ? What if all three don’t speak or think in the same language… would the plate (perceived in English) or what is on the plate be any different? Are personal definitional boundaries necessary for things or existence to be what it IS?

In my opinion, any thing (idea) taken to extremes spells disaster. Essentially, I see turtles all the way, so I have reason to believe that all that there is, are boundaries upon which all knowledge and wisdom rests; otherwise we might as well drop the act.
David: This direct perception of contrasts is beyond the possibility of being an hallucination. It is real. And yet, at the same time, these contrasts are never anything more an appearance to us as an observer. The perspective that we create as observers is what allows these contrasts to come into being in the first place. They have no other reality outside of this.
“And yet, at the same time” is the problem here. And how come in this instant it is WE who CREATE the perspective, tucking causality under the carpet? This seems inconsistent.
---------
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

David Quinn,

You are saying that if it is in any way possible for a boundary can be crossed, then it's not a real boundary. By that definition, then, yes, there are no real boundaries.

But when it all comes down to it, what is the point of the idea of there being no real boundaries?

Is this just a word game or does it go somewhere significant?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

David Quinn wrote:If the boundary between myself and the rest of Nature was objectively real, then I would not able to take advantage of the chair's mass and use it to support my body.
Ok, I'll admit, this has gone right over my head. I don't understand why the chair couldn't be used to support your weight if the boundaries were real.

Anyone?