A Question

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Relo

A Question

Post by Relo »

So as for starting this out I have an assignment due tomorrow which is solely based upon my completion for my class, but I can't seem to do it even though the assignment would only take me about possibly 10 minutes to do.

The past 5 hours I have been up when I should be in bed, I managed to stumble across these boards out of a search for somewhere in my lines understatements that tumble around in my head and poke at me with on going self ingenuity?

Well anyways, I was wondering if someone wanted to solve why I cannot complete this simple task. I've already had a thought process on how and why I cannot solve this and I have even asked others around me in the past as of children around my age and even to the extent of my mother and father to answer this question, but they seemed to fail and I have tried explaining some steps along the way yet it seemed futile if that would be the right word of choice.

A possible solution is that my ID is tired of being held back considered I am partially quiet in my school where the majority of my class mates are quite loud and out spoken. I am not shy but I just choose not to talk most of the time because I feel not much needs to be said from inside of my head. Of course I hold back from saying certain things and acting how I might normally would like for example, how I might be more out spoken with my family instead, and that this could all be a result of my ID releasing itself through my typing and computer time that I am having right now.

If my ID was purely released during school as I can see some kids let theres, I would know that I would be easily mis understood and it would come to a complete frusteration factor. I have tested this through humor a lot so I might explain a little more along the lines if it bothers to come up, but I realize barely anyone is on right now and I will most likely check back at this the next day.

So a basic summary could be that I am curious to know what you think of my incompetence to not complete a simple task that is quite easier then writing up all of this, and just to be ignorant of my genetically self centered ego, could you guys relate to me in this and possibly see how you solved your problems too.

I apologize if some of my writing is not easily comprehended and completely random, I know I am aware of this, but bear with me. Rawr?

We could start a discussion based off of the ID, Ego, & Super ego of how this relates, I wouldn't mind that at all if it is troublesome to spark the git-go.

I thought I would give a shot, let's see where it takes the time.
DavidHenry

Re: A Question

Post by DavidHenry »

I think it's called laziness champ, LOL.
Relo

Post by Relo »

Well I realize what laziness is and by the tact of your sarcasm it doesn't seem quite enough for an answer to my ridiculous questioning, even admitting that theres is more areas next to laziness as in not feeling encouraged or even feeling out of place in society can lead what we can so call being lazy or a result of it. The state of laziness I guess I could say rests with me when I know it's sick of being over accused of itself and it can shift to someone or something else.
DavidHenry

Post by DavidHenry »

Most of the people at this forum are "dead serious" about philosophy, so when someone like you comes along with a trivial laziness/boredom based question replete with appalling grammar, I doubt it will lead to any meaningful exchanges.
Smarten up son!!!
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It sounds to me like one of two things: 1) you are being mentally stubborn or defiant for the sake of it or because your ego is fighting against being forced to do something you simply don't want to; 2) you don't value the assignment enough to make the effort.

Do you have a tendency for passive aggressive defiance of authority? In other words, finding ways to not do the things you're supposed to do (enforced by authorities you think don't accept or value you)?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Do you have a tendency for passive aggressive defiance of authority? In other words, finding ways to not do the things you're supposed to do (enforced by authorities you think don't accept or value you)?
Way to go, Dan. "Passive agressive." He sounds like enough of a smart-ass already without you helping him along.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at much more than I did him. I tossed an idea out based on a very sketchy foundation.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

He's trying to come up with excuses for not doing his homework.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Doesn't "the dog ate it" work anymore?
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Relo,

DISCLAIMER: Having read all the responses, about the only (pure, unadulterated) logic you will receive from the present clatch lurking here (manifesting themselves) are Diebert, Kevin, Dan, David, Elizabeth, Sandman, Dave Hodges, Leyla, Sue... (and reservedly perhaps, a couple others who come and go)

-Relo-
So as for starting this out I have an assignment due tomorrow which is solely based upon my completion for my class, but I can't seem to do it even though the assignment would only take me about possibly 10 minutes to do.

-tomas-
By your writing, you sound American.

-Relo-
The past 5 hours I have been up when I should be in bed, I managed to stumble across these boards out of a search for somewhere in my lines understatements that tumble around in my head and poke at me with on going self-ingenuity?

-tomas-
The public school system is a mish-mash of New-Speak. Every nation-state varies in its demand of curriculum.

-Relo-
Well anyways, I was wondering if someone wanted to solve why I cannot complete this simple task. I've already had a thought process on how and why I cannot solve this and I have even asked others around me in the past as of children around my age and even to the extent of my mother and father to answer this question, but they seemed to fail and I have tried explaining some steps along the way yet it seemed futile if that would be the right word of choice.

-tomas-
Once again, the public school "system" is designed to "dumb down" the average Gene and Joan, and who knows who. -- That included mother and father ;-(

BTW - Obviously by your writing style, you are MENSA material :-)

-Relo-
A possible solution is that my ID is tired of being held back considered I am partially quiet in my school where the majority of my classmates are quite loud and out spoken.

-tomas-
Sure, I tended to keep my trap shut the vast majority of classtime.

-Relo-
I am not shy but I just choose not to talk most of the time because I feel not much needs to be said from inside of my head.

-tomas-
Observation is akin to godliness.

-Relo-
Of course I hold back from saying certain things and acting how I might normally would like for example, how I might be more outspoken with my family instead, and that this could all be a result of my ID releasing itself through my typing and computer time that I am having right now.

-tomas-
Ezekiel had a (surrogate) typist also.

-Relo-
If my ID was purely released during school as I can see some kids let theirs, I would know that I would be easily misunderstood and it would come to a complete frustration factor.

-tomas-
The State has its own objectives separate from yours...

-Relo-
I have tested this through humor a lot so I might explain a little more along the lines if it bothers to come up,

-tomas-
Do as you see fit.

-Relo-
but I realize barely anyone is on right now and I will most likely check back at this the next day.

-tomas-
As the world turns ... the normal ones will pop up :-)

-Relo-
So a basic summary could be that I am curious to know what you think of my incompetence to not complete a simple task that is quite easier then writing up all of this,

-tomas-
The outside world (school) has its own agenda - so this will nominally conflict with your own passive freedom to do as you will. In other words, it's a battle of wills, 'the outside looking in' - at you.

-Relo-
and just to be ignorant of my genetically self-centered ego, could you guys relate to me in this and possibly see how you solved your problems too.

-tomas-
I dropped out of the public school "system" at age-15, sophomore year. Simply put, I was spinning my wheels. Glorified day care centers.

-Relo-
I apologize if some of my writing is not easily comprehended and completely random, I know I am aware of this, but bear with me. Rawr?

-tomas-
You know the deal, I know the deal, we know the deal.

-Relo-
We could start a discussion based off of the ID, Ego, & Super-ego of how this relates, I wouldn't mind that at all if it is troublesome to spark the git-go.

-tomas-
Be careful what you ask for (in these parts).

-Relo-
I thought I would give a shot, let's see where it takes the time.

-tomas-

Time is on my side.

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

Relo

Post by Relo »

Thanks guys for the feedback, everyone seemed dead on and I know I was quite embarressed when I had to write this out because my grammar is quite bad.

I'll re-read the posts below once I get home, I still have my project to finish here at school.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

hsandman

Post by hsandman »

To Relo,

What Tomas said. Ordo ob Chao. Public education is a "mixed blessing". =P

-tomas-
As the world turns ... the normal ones will pop up :-)

hsandman-

Lining up with the galactic center. Yup! Love being alive in this era. :-D

-tomas-

Time is on my side.

hsandman-

Yes, it is.

The Rolling Stones-Time Is On My Side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVObzBFpIFU
It's just a ride.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Relo wrote:We could start a discussion based off of the ID, Ego, & Super ego of how this relates, I wouldn't mind that at all if it is troublesome to spark the git-go.
Explain to me what you think those three things are, what your understanding of consciousness is, and how the former relate to the latter in a couple of paragraphs and then we might be able to have a meaningful discussion.

It's not just another lecture you're after, right?
Between Suicides
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

I basically agree that it is the American school system, and moreso agree that it is the last 30ish years of the American trend, that is to blame for your current situation - but it is very possible for you to turn this around in yourself and take credit for making your life better. I think you would even get extra credit for making your life good despite the circumstances that you have come from.

What you, and most of us Americans, need is a lot more discipline.

Part of responsible parenting is to show a child how rewarding it is to be appropriately disciplined. When this is done well, the child grows up to be self-disciplined, and becomes as successful as their innate abilities allow them to be. When this is neither done nor opposed, a person learns the natural consequences of not being self-disciplined, and may or may not have the strength to discipline themselves. This is a condition of adulthood, which would be much easier on the individual if they were raised with appropriate discipline.

What has happened over the last 30ish years in America is a prevalence of conditions that actually oppose self-discipline. Psychologists made the grave error of telling parents and teachers that they had to stop using the word "no" with children because it stifled their creativity. There were all these "every child is special" programs designed to bolster children's egos. Children recognize that if everyone is special then really, no one is special. A healthy ego (using the psychological definition of the word "ego" rather than the philosophical definition) grows on rewards for accomplishments. Getting the reward without having achieved anything for it has left a lot of sick egos. Lots of unconditional love gave lots of people a feeling of entitlement, which results in a lack of motivation. If a person thinks “It doesn’t matter what I do; I’ll always be loved just for being me” then that person doesn’t have as much motivation.

Of course not everyone was gorged on psychological candy over this time. Abuse that was misnamed "discipline" also occurred. In such cases, rather than feeling unconditional love, the children felt unconditional hatred. When children are placed in a situation where not matter what they do, they can’t please the people important to them, they start to think “It doesn’t matter what I do; I’ll always be hated.” These people have equally little motivation.

What you can do to become an adult no matter what your age is to start to discipline yourself. Start small with good rewards for a little discipline, then work your way up to the bigger stuff. That assignment would have been a great beginning. If you had just mustered up the determination to do that 10 minute assignment, you would have been able to get a good night's sleep. You would have felt rested the next day, been able to have a more relaxing day rather than worrying about the assignment and trying to squeeze in finishing it, and felt good about turning your assignment in on time. These are natural consequences of self-discipline.

I'm sure there will be plenty more 10-minute assignments for you to practice your self-discipline. If 10 minutes is too much discipline for you right now, then break it down into shorter segments. Discipline is like a muscle in the mind. That muscle is very weak in you right now, so like any other muscle, it has to be built up with regular endurance training. If you push too hard, you won't be able to do it; but if you don't push hard enough, you won't build up the muscle. Building yourself up won't be too easy because you will be battling distraction, boredom, annoyance, and a host of other issues. The reward for doing this is a strong mind. It's up to you if it's worth it. Do you want to be strong?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

I basically agree that it is the American school system
Are you talking to relo, Elizabeth? Do we know he lives in the U.S....?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

brokenhead wrote:Are you talking to relo, Elizabeth?

Yes
brokenhead wrote:Do we know he lives in the U.S....?
It seems to be a reasonable inference based on these:
Tomas wrote:By your writing, you sound American.
Relo wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback, everyone seemed dead on
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Elizabeth,
Fair enough. I just wasn't sure as I read and before your post.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Dan Rowden wrote:Doesn't "the dog ate it" work anymore?
Not if all you have is a parakeet.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
brokenhead wrote:Are you talking to relo, Elizabeth?

Yes
brokenhead wrote:Do we know he lives in the U.S....?
It seems to be a reasonable inference based on these:
Tomas wrote:By your writing, you sound American.
Relo wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback, everyone seemed dead on
Three words of Relo's "suggest" American-English over the "inferior" spellings of Australian-English, Canadian-English, and the English Isle :-)

humor (humour)
realize (realise)
apologize (apologise)

ps - Unknown how the Scots, Irish, Welsh, and Northern Ireland (Catholic Country) would spell the above :-/
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Tomas,
Three words of Relo's "suggest" American-English over the "inferior" spellings of Australian-English, Canadian-English, and the English Isle :-)

humor (humour)
realize (realise)
apologize (apologise)
I spell those three words the same as Relo, and you probably wouldn't consider me "American". So things get even more complicated.

Hey, I know! Why don't we just ask Relo where he lives!

-
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Shahrazad

Shahrazad wrote:Tomas,

humor (humour)
realize (realise)
apologize (apologise)
I spell those three words the same as Relo, and you probably wouldn't consider me "American". So things get even more complicated.

Hey, I know! Why don't we just ask Relo where he lives!

-

Singled those areas of globe specifically because they are peculiar in this Shakespeare (Sir Francis Bacon) version of Middle English-French.

His "phraseology" heavily-leans USA.

I believe (the aussie) Sandman said he's originally from the Ukraine. He seems to not employ the word "whilst". <-- Does the period go there or inside?

My brother was an high school English instructor for some, 40 years. He was always correcting me :-(

Tomas

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Well, the vital matter of spelling aside, I do hope Relo returns and re-engages this thread. There was the embryo of a decent issue in there.

[edit: fixed a bad typo]
Relo

Post by Relo »

Steven Coyle wrote:Relo,

Check this out -

http://www.rawilson.com/csicon.shtml
Thanks Steven, I greatly appreciated the general foundation of comparing originals to newer "things" that we encounter on a daily basis. I often thought about this ironically when I started my different style of observational thinking when it sparked when I was around 15, currently I turned 18 2 months ago and I do live in the states, I'm glad you guys caught on to that.

Also I managed to stumble across the jokes section on the site that Steven referred me to and I read about the issue of Anne Coulter and her two other personalities, but for some reason I've never seen her in the media much maybe because I'm not watch stations like CNN often as much as others, and for those who do not know what CNN is, it's a basic American news channel that is broad casted on cable, please correct me anywhere because I am often ignorant and I tend to explore with the lights out often.

As of right now, I will write more later, but what helps me get to that stage of my search and destroy thought process is by burning off some so what you call brain calories (I sort of made up my own terminology). I normally play games like Warcraft 3, Runescape, if you have ever heard of them just to get past that certain stage of what I cannot define right now considering I am not in my "complete" search and destroy type stage, as I continue to type it seems that this might not be the exact case, but I do have a good basis of understandment for how I adapt to things. I also love to play a good amount of poker and also please don't take me too literally.

As for Elizabeth's response, yes I do want to grow as a person and a good amount of steps that will help me along the way are these discussions and observations that I am having on these forums which I greatly appreciate by the way. I definitely understand where your coming from with the Self-Discipline and I will remember to add those in to my daily actions, mainly at school and how I look after others. I'll make sure to type out more in a bit.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Dan Rowden wrote:It sounds to me like one of two things: 1) you are being mentally stubborn or defiant for the sake of it or because your ego is fighting against being forced to do something you simply don't want to; 2) you don't value the assignment enough to make the effort.

It looks to me like he is trying to find some kind of external validation he can feel proud of for what he has already decided is a failure.

Looks to me like he is getting it.