What would you sacrifice for pleasure?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
truth_justice

Post by truth_justice »

What would you sacrifice for pleasure? If you say it depends on the type of pleasure, then assume I am talking about the best pleasurable experience you have ever had.
Truth, Justice, Freedom.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: What would you sacrifice for pleasure?

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

truth_justice wrote:What would you sacrifice for pleasure?
Misery, unhappiness, despair, displeasure... by definition.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Most humans tend to sacrifice their souls for pleasure.
bert

Post by bert »

sacrifice is the first duty.
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

You wouldn't want to feel that way all of the time, because then you wouldn't have any other feelings at all. Maybe you would feel good, but then you would just be a walking orgasm .
Elizabeth Isabelle

You don't get pleasure out of anything but an orgasm? That's sad.
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:You don't get pleasure out of anything but an orgasm? That's sad.
Now you are manipulating my words. I only meant that you wouldn't want to feel the same way all the time, because part of feeling good is feeling bad at other times. I think it would take away from your brain power to feel really amped up all the time.
Elizabeth Isabelle

snow bunny wrote:part of feeling good is feeling bad at other times.
In relativistic terms, to have a good there must be a bad; but that does not mean that one has to visit or revisit the hell realms in order to feel good. An infant does not have to be spanked in order to enjoy being fed. An adult does not have to have experienced the death of loved ones to experience the joy of falling in love.

In fact, feeling bad can lower one's expectations of what good is. Often an abused child will grow up and land in an abusive relationship without even realizing it at first because in relative terms, it was better than their childhood experience.

Also, too much of feeling bad can rob someone of the ability to feel good because they literally can't believe that everything can go well for more than just a moment. In this not believing, they hold on to anxiety, diminishing the pleasure.
snow bunny wrote:I think it would take away from your brain power to feel really amped up all the time.
Yeah, that would burn something out. There are different kinds of pleasure though that can be of various degrees of pleasure. There can be the amped up kind of pleasure, but most of the time should be the kind of pleasure of enjoying the good weather, or the feeling of being wrapped up in a warm blanket, or the sight of a cute little bunny in the snow...
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

I guess I'll just stick with busting a load..
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Pleasure ;)
---------
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have always sacrificed reasoning for pleasure, so I presume I'll continue to do so.

Like everyone else. To Think or Not to Think, that is the question!

Of course, should one or many sacrifice too much reasoning for the sake of pleasures in the now, then one becomes bound for displeasure in the longer term.
truth_justice

Post by truth_justice »

I appreciate the replies. Thank you.

That said, I realize my question carries a complexity which I was previously unaware of. I think one should first answer:

What is sacrifice? More importantly, what things can be sacrificed, and to what end? Additionally, among the things that can be sacrificed, are there some more important than others? Likewise, among the ends, are there some more important than others? And, if pleasure is one such end, how does it compare to other ends/goals?
Truth, Justice, Freedom.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Like everyone else. To Think or Not to Think, that is the question!
Good thinking, James ;)
---------
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

TJ, essentially all of that depends on ones values, but lets see…
What is sacrifice?
Sacrifice necessarily requires an act of selflessness, and any act cannot be a selfless one unless that individual holds such an act to be a ‘selfless’ one according to his values or belief system.
More importantly, what things can be sacrificed, and to what end?
You tell me. What do you think will be the greatest sacrifice you could give?
Additionally, among the things that can be sacrificed, are there some more important than others?
Of course, but that depends on an individuals values.
Likewise, among the ends, are there some more important than others?
May be; give me some examples and I will tell you which one I value more than the other, which you may or may not agree to.
And, if pleasure is one such end, how does it compare to other ends/goals?
What other ends/goals? Give me an example. People find 'pleasure' in pain too; so tell me what would be the reason for a self-initiated pain?

Are you talking about giving away a kidney? Are you talking about self-inflicting wounds? Are you talking about dying in a war? Are you talking about a mother giving away her heart for her child? This list can be endless…
---------
divine focus

Post by divine focus »

Sacrifice only exists from a certain point of view. Sacrifice in reality is impossible, because you cannot give up or let go of what you actually have. Sacrifiice only happens in perception, in either forgetting what you actually have or giving up something you believe you have. The former is a consequence of the level of growth being encouraged on this world, growth through remembrance against the odds of remembering. The latter is the letting go of attachment that doesn't exist in reality; therefore, nothing is actually given up.
eliasforum.org/digests.html