Making peace with femininity

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Unidian

Re: Making peace with femininity

Post by Unidian »

David,
Who is he [Nietzsche] talking about, I wonder? He is certainly not referring to wise folk.
Indeed, he's obviously not referring to wise folk who avoid grandiose conceptual schemes to conquer Nature intellectually and remake the essence of it in their own image.

Rather, he's referring to people like you, who do such things.
I live in a tub.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Existence... I love thee! :)

David: Nature is your very own self. So what is there to be threatened by? What is there to cope with?
What is said here does not seem to conform to what was said earlier… hence I question.
"Transmission beyond words" means that enlightened understanding is beyond conventional language and can only be discovered inwardly and directly by the individual, if Nature so chooses.
Inwardly? Sure, but that too would necessarily require something ‘external’ to it; there is absolutely no other way, so discovering it “directly” holds little meaning except being a poetical or emotional expression, and each one would have his own unique twist to discovering it “directly”, (if there is such a thing); and how the hell can I actually know that about another in its completeness?

BTW: what would “unconventional” language be like or be equated to? Intutions perhaps? Emotions perhaps?

If “Nature” chooses so? Really? Does “IT” have free will then?

Am I anything other than “nature” itself? If you say I am, which I’m sure you are not, and hence assuming you say I am not, then the 'choice' is a self-choice that begins and ends with ME, and so with anybody or anything else for that matter. Higher the nature of awareness, higher the capability of choices it can make, but even a quantum particle has to necessarily have a minimum amount of “awareness” that can translate into a much higher and complex “consciousness” such as ours; it couldn’t have popped up magically. There is choice being made even at the quantum level or even beyond in my opinion, simply because of infinite number of probabilities of infinite number of variables open to existence (Totality), which not only dependents on “conditionality” but also creates it as well, in and off the dualistic nature of any thing one can think or imagine, and dualistic nature itself resides within all things, and a without is necessary too, at all times, otherwise nothing is, and none can logically deny that.

There is no point or place in and off Existence (Totality), that duality is not in effect, and calling such an “understanding” non-duality is no more that ones poetic expression, which I have nothing against, but logically speaking, it is not a literal “oneness” but “separateness” that gives rise to a thought or concept of “oneness”, whereas ‘separateness’ needs no ‘oneness’ to be what it IS. It is merely an emotional satisfiction that I am not ashamed to admit when I say "I'm ONE with nature", but then I'm fully aware that "nautre" and "me" are not two different things, and fully aware that the "I" and the "knowing" are not the one and the same thing, ever. "I" needs no "knowing" to be what it is, but it necessarily needs somthing other than itself to be what it is.
It is a transmission directly from Nature, which can sometimes be triggered by the words or actions of a sage.
May be, but not unless a “sage” considers Nature as ONLY an “external” force, acting UPON a sage or anything else for that matter, which is an incomplete understanding in my opinion. All is necessarily caused, but that which is caused, is also the creator and sustainer of causalty, and hence are necessarily dependant on each other for existence to BE what it is.
Robert: What does 'don't know' mean to you, Mr. Toast?

David: Hopefully, it means the sublime awareness of the formlessness of Nature, the understanding that it possesses no "thing" (or form) by which it can be known. I certainly hope it doesn't mean flat-out ignorance. That would be silly.
Yes, that would be silly, but in my opinion what is really silly or rather emotional is this poetic expression of an imaginary “formlessness” that cannot logically exist “inside” or even “outside” of form-full-ness, for that is all that there is. One can deny that in any which way one likes to, but there is no escape ultimately.

David: Why do you put quotes around "don't know?

Nat: Because it's a quote. From Bodhidharma, traditional founder of Zen

David: Are you saying, then, that he didn't know reality at all?
What ‘reality’? What is there to KNOW about something that isn’t a thing to begin with?

(I take it by ‘realty’ you mean ‘totality’, unless you keep changing the definition, or that I have got it wrong.)
---------
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Unidian wrote:Mu means mu, David, so take your conceptual paws off me before I call the police.

It means "beyond the ability of language to express meaningfully." It points to ineffability.
The point is that you cannot escape creating 'same old' meaning in any pointing or refusing to point. To our mind there never exists something as total meaninglessness. This leads to the challenge to become as meaningful - mindful - as possible. To become clear, as much as ones capacity allows for, remains the most worthy thing left to do when everything else is being said and done.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Why not become ineffable?

As my EZboard profile states, "I am ineffable, but people still keep telling me to go eff myself."
I live in a tub.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Sapius wrote:There is choice being made even at the quantum level or even beyond in my opinion,
Are you referring to free will choice, or are you referring to a more poetic sense of the word?
Sapius wrote:There is choice being made even at the quantum level or even beyond in my opinion, simply because of infinite number of probabilities of infinite number of variables open to existence (Totality), which not only dependents on “conditionality” but also creates it as well,
An effect of a previous cause is also a cause of a future effect, but that does not alter its requirement to follow immutable laws dependent on infinite conditions of infinite levels of magnitude - making the laws appear mutable. Sets of conditions undetectable to humans but detectable to quantum particles can cause a change in outcome from a different set of conditions undetectable to humans but detectable to quantum particles, even when the sets of conditions that are detectable to humans are identical. This gives the appearance of choice. I believe it is acceptable to use the word choice in this case as it is far less verbose - as long as the underlying mechanics are understood.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Unidian wrote:Mu means mu, David, so take your conceptual paws off me before I call the police.

It means "beyond the ability of language to express meaningfully." It points to ineffability.
The point is that you cannot escape creating 'same old' meaning in any pointing or refusing to point. To our mind there never exists something as total meaninglessness. This leads to the challenge to become as meaningful - mindful - as possible. To become clear, as much as ones capacity allows for, remains the most worthy thing left to do when everything else is being said and done.
Absolutely. Even in denying meaningfulness, one is affirming the meaning of it.

So, Nat, it is a moot point actually, and is essentially a paradox or a contradiction that one can clearly overcome on a personal basis only, and hence ‘realization’, what ever that that may be, cannot and does not really need proving.
---------
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Elizabeth,
I believe it is acceptable to use the word choice in this case as it is far less verbose - as long as the underlying mechanics are understood.
And THEY are?
---------
Elizabeth Isabelle

That all things are caused, even if we don't know what the specific cause is.

edit to add - and we know that all things are caused or else there would not be any laws of physics. We would instead have "guidelines of physics" or "suggestions of physics" or some such.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Unidian wrote:Why not become ineffable?

As my EZboard profile states, "I am ineffable, but people still keep telling me to go eff myself."
It's quite hard to distinguish ineffability from ignorance. It's hard enough for other people to make that distinction when observing the ineffable one but the real hard question is how one knows for oneself if one is being ineffable in some original Zen way or one is just effing oneself and everyone else with it.

There's that famous verse in Proverbs : "Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise". Beats old man Tzu anytime when it comes to human psychology and its multi-colored camouflaging.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Elizabeth: That all things are caused, even if we don't know what the specific cause is.
I guess you might have missed this part in my earlier post.
Sap: All is necessarily caused, but that which is caused, is also the creator and sustainer of casualty, and hence are necessarily dependant on each other for existence to BE what it is.
However, no disrespect, but I do not require your approval of how I should or shouldn’t see causality, nor do I require that you see it as I do. But if you need a better explanation of what I mean, then I think Pye can do justice to what I imply by free will, and its real implications, irrelevant of how that too is caused.

---------
Diebert: There's that famous verse in Proverbs : "Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise". Beats old man Tzu anytime when it comes to human psychology and its multi-colored camouflaging.
That reminds me of a movie - ‘Being there’ (I think) – Peter Sellers.
---------
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:That all things are caused, even if we don't know what the specific cause is.

edit to add - and we know that all things are caused or else there would not be any laws of physics. We would instead have "guidelines of physics" or "suggestions of physics" or some such.
Yeah,'argument from axiom'-it's not half bad.

Then i take a squizz at Godels Incompleteness Therom and descend further into madness :(
Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Sapius wrote:
Diebert: There's that famous verse in Proverbs : "Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise". Beats old man Tzu anytime when it comes to human psychology and its multi-colored camouflaging.
That reminds me of a movie - ‘Being there’ (I think) – Peter Sellers.
Great film. The film Forest Gump tried but failed to emulate.

But was Chancie really a fool? Don't forget the final scene!
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Dave,

Well, in 'Being there', the point was not if he was a fool or not, but generally speaking, others interpret the words he spoke in his own simplicity in the context of being a gardener, by attaching the label of “wisdom” to it since they could not really relate to what he actually meant. That character was essentially silent so to speak, but others make a mountain of a molehill out of their own sense of wonder, from what little he spoke.

Essentially, I understand that Peter Sellers was quite an eccentric guy actually, and considered most people around him to be fools who would fall for anything, and was quite disappointed that people did not take him seriously; but him being quite superstitious and all, who could really have. But I think he was a brilliant guy however.
---------
divine focus

Post by divine focus »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:An effect of a previous cause is also a cause of a future effect, but that does not alter its requirement to follow immutable laws dependent on infinite conditions of infinite levels of magnitude - making the laws appear mutable. Sets of conditions undetectable to humans but detectable to quantum particles can cause a change in outcome from a different set of conditions undetectable to humans but detectable to quantum particles, even when the sets of conditions that are detectable to humans are identical. This gives the appearance of choice. I believe it is acceptable to use the word choice in this case as it is far less verbose - as long as the underlying mechanics are understood.
If two sets of conditions undetectable to humans result in two different outcomes that are detectable, what determines which set of conditions occur? Apply this to your own experience. Are you a branch simply floating and coasting in an ocean of laws that you have no say in? You are not, though this may be your perception.
eliasforum.org/digests.html
Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Sapius wrote:Dave,

Well, in 'Being there', the point was not if he was a fool or not, but generally speaking, others interpret the words he spoke in his own simplicity in the context of being a gardener, by attaching the label of “wisdom” to it since they could not really relate to what he actually meant. That character was essentially silent so to speak, but others make a mountain of a molehill out of their own sense of wonder, from what little he spoke.

Essentially, I understand that Peter Sellers was quite an eccentric guy actually, and considered most people around him to be fools who would fall for anything, and was quite disappointed that people did not take him seriously; but him being quite superstitious and all, who could really have. But I think he was a brilliant guy however.
Without a doubt.

What I was saying about whether he really was a fool or not seems relevant to me though. Like you say, people didn't understand his simple (effectively silent) context and projected all manner of things onto his words, primarily wisdom.

So as Deibert said, the silent fool is considered wise.

It seemed, throughout the film, that this 'silence' was precisely because he was a simple fool. Yet at the end, we see that the seemingly simple fool truly does walk on water, and he knows full well that he is capable of such. To me this would imply that he knew what he was doing all along.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Dave,
So as Deibert said, the silent fool is considered wise.
No… even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise.

In the final scene, he not only walks on water, by ascends to the “heavens”, and before that, at a certain pinot he wonders how is it that he is walking on water, and stops and immerses his umbrella just besides where he is standing, but then continues on. So the lesson most probably is, even “fools” go to “heaven” :D
---------
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

The film Forest Gump tried but failed to emulate.
Forest Gump was a more successful, and more shameless, rip-off of Gomer Pyle. "Gee, Lieutenant Dan!" "Go-o-o-lly, Seargeant Carter."
Elizabeth Isabelle

Sapius wrote:I guess you might have missed this part in my earlier post.

Sap: All is necessarily caused, but that which is caused, is also the creator and sustainer of casualty, and hence are necessarily dependant on each other for existence to BE what it is.
Perhaps you missed this part of my earlier post:
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:An effect of a previous cause is also a cause of a future effect, but that does not alter its requirement to follow immutable laws dependent on infinite conditions of infinite levels of magnitude - making the laws appear mutable. Sets of conditions undetectable to humans but detectable to quantum particles can cause a change in outcome from a different set of conditions undetectable to humans but detectable to quantum particles, even when the sets of conditions that are detectable to humans are identical.
Now that we have come full circle, are you going to answer my question, or do you consider me too lowly of a lifeform for you to answer directly, and so you defer to Pye to answer for you?
Sapius wrote:no disrespect, but I do not require your approval of how I should or shouldn’t see causality, nor do I require that you see it as I do.
I did not say that you were required to attain my approval, and I do not expect you to require that I understand things the way you do. I had enough respect for your mind to inquire further of your beliefs, and to share my beliefs with you, but if you do not consider my understanding worth your time or effort, neither will I waste my time and effort on trying to understand you. No disrespect, of course.
Ataraxia wrote:Yeah,'argument from axiom'-it's not half bad.

Then i take a squizz at Godels Incompleteness Therom and descend further into madness :(
I considered my meaning implicit in the further above response to Sapius, which is why I did not see the need to add this until he specifically asked.
divine focus wrote:If two sets of conditions undetectable to humans result in two different outcomes that are detectable, what determines which set of conditions occur? Apply this to your own experience.
Okay, on one evening, I leave my dinner on the coffee table while I go to answer the phone. I return 3 minutes later, and eat my dinner. On another evening, I leave an identical dinner on the same coffee table with the house in an identical condition for 3 minutes while I go answer the phone. This time the outcome is different - my dinner is missing. I can not detect for sure that on the second occasion the dog ate my dinner (although I can piece together evidence and assume this is the case). I can not detect if the dog was sleeping more soundly on the first occasion, or had a different level of hunger - but I know that the sets of circumstances that were undetectable to me were different. It was only the sets of circumstances that were detectable to me that were identical. The outcome of 2 sets of circumstances that were identical to my perception were detectably different. The detectably different outcomes leads me to reasonably assume that there was something different about the circumstances that was not detectable to me, as evidenced by the different outcomes.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Shahrazad wrote:
too bad we can SEE and FEEL gravity,
How and when can you see gravity?
we see that objects tend to fall down on a large celestial mass up to a certain point until it passes the atmosphere or goes beyond its gravitational pull such as the moon. We see that all objects fall on earth at the same speed and only the structure of the object can influence updraft to make it come down slower, not because of its mass but because of uplift. These are atleast some evidence of some sort of gravitational pull. Evolution is nothing of the sort, more like children digging random bones and arbitrarily and foolishly placing them in nonexistent lineages without any sheer rational reason to put them in such specific lineages.
Amor fati
Faust

Post by Faust »

Unidian wrote:The ancient Greeks invented science. They created it - namely Thales and his student Anaximander. BTW, Anaximander is most likely the ancient Greek who Dan was referring to - he deduced that man must have evolved from simpler life forms almost 25 centuries before Darwin finally established it. RTFM, as they say.
yeah, and back then they didn't do archeology or genetics or have microscopes or know much about reproductive mechanisms. Sooo it was nothing but empty theorizing and mental masterbation. This 'deduction' that they did about evolution is as superficial, superstitious, nonscientific, religious, as Galen's 4 humours!! Anyone can deduce what ever the hell they want to kingdom come, but the facts don't support it.
Amor fati
Faust

Post by Faust »

divine focus wrote:Someone, please reply to something in here:
Faust13 wrote:speciation hasn't been proven at all, because it is impossible. Each species has its own limited gene pool, and can only produce its own species. Any variance or differing traits are still part of the species, so a taller human is still a human, etc... There's no dog with wings, or hairless monkeys that resemble hairless humans. So natural selection can't progress anything because all these traits still propogate the same species. Evolution would have to rely on nothing but random mutations that need to be so alien as to help propogate a different species, such as a cow with a giraffe's neck. Then, these mutations need to have successive mutations in order to bring about a larger change, such as a cow's neck becoming longer and longer. This is not only extremely rare, but physically impossible. These preliminary mutations aren't even advantageous for natural selection to work on them, nor would they necessarily always turn out properly in the new generation. If an ape is to become a human, it would have to somehow be born bipedal and start walking bipedally, and conceiving bipedal apes. If evolution has a starting point, then these preliminary changes should be seen today, as random mutations don't take millions of years to happen, because they aren't based on natural selection. We should be able to see monkeys being born bipedal, or hairless, which would then begin the process of natural selection if these traits are even advantageous, then they would be passed on. BUT, there's more problems. These apes will still mate with apes, and it's not possible to make an entirely new species while you're conceiving with the same one all the time. A hairless monkey would still be a monkey, there would be no reason for it to speciate and not be able to reproduce with monkeys anymore.

Alas we see that no physical mutation has any beneficial effects for animals or humans, nor do they turn humans into another species. If humans can evolve, then we should see kids who are sometimes born with 3 arms, to be able to live and use their arms productively, but this is the opposite. Most physical mutations even reduce fertility and increase chances of miscarriage such as Down's Syndrome.
All other replies are beside the point of his post.
divine focus, thanks for pointing out the weaselish nature of Unidian et al, when it comes to the myth of evolution. You're absolutely correct that this post of mine you've quoted is the only important material on this thread with regards to evolution, as it quite clearly points to its major flaw. However, as any rational, cynical and sharp-witted mind would quickly see, the weaselish nature of Unidian et al, discourages them from answering my main objection, they wholeheartedly ignored it as if it never existed, but tried to prove me wrong by continuing frivolous discussions about Ancient Greeks and the like. Until the weasels Unidian et al, make an attempt to answer this objection, their credibility and honesty is totally nonexistent.
Amor fati
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Faust, welcome to my iggy list. You're lucky winner #3!
I live in a tub.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Faust13 wrote:divine focus, thanks for pointing out the weaselish nature of Unidian et al, when it comes to the myth of evolution. You're absolutely correct that this post of mine you've quoted is the only important material on this thread with regards to evolution, as it quite clearly points to its major flaw. However, as any rational, cynical and sharp-witted mind would quickly see, the weaselish nature of Unidian et al, discourages them from answering my main objection, they wholeheartedly ignored it as if it never existed, but tried to prove me wrong by continuing frivolous discussions about Ancient Greeks and the like. Until the weasels Unidian et al, make an attempt to answer this objection, their credibility and honesty is totally nonexistent.
I suggest you go back to page 23 and see my response to your simplistic and ignorant "speciation" arguments before saying stuff like this again.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Elizabeth;
Now that we have come full circle, are you going to answer my question, or do you consider me too lowly of a lifeform for you to answer directly, and so you defer to Pye to answer for you?
Hahahaa… too lowly of a life form? You have no idea how lowly I think of myself, and how incompetent in actually explaining my views.
From - ‘Is our future already determined?’

Dan: This is not a complicated issue. Yes, our futures are determined but we can never know in exactly what way, so we have fate and mystery all rolled into one.

Sap: Yes, we can never know for sure, but that does not mean that cause and effect in it self is not free, free to create incalculable diversities, imposed and created by its own nature. It is a very subtle point, but in my opinion the crux of the understanding lies in there.

Cause and effect is so complexly diverse that it can actually “say no” to a given situation, other wise such diversities wouldn’t be possible. If there were no possibilities of diversities, then there would be nothing except one cause producing the same effect over and over again, since the effect would be its own cause, or nothing at all (in other words), which also does not seem probable. Freedom in diversities also proves that there was no time when just a single cause existed. Any speck that exists is not a result of innumerable causes, but is cumulatively innumerable causes itself, since from the perspective of Totality all is a single effect, but we just experience it as effect's (form our perspective), for all that there is, is now, and that just is.

My thinking too is governed by cause and effect, but isn’t my thinking itself cause and effect? And it can cause me, which is no more than a cumulative, say a bundle of cause and effect, to say ‘no’. (Unless one believes that “I” am absolutely nothing whatsoever, not even as a form or appearance, which would be absolutely illogical.); thereby creating yet another situation that leads to diversity without breaking its own rhythm or law as such.

Although governed by cause and effect, the future of no particular thing is actually determined, not more than the immediate cumulative effects, which is actually just a single effect as far as Totality is concerned since there is no future as such for it, although experienced by us as a result of innumerable causes from our perspective.

Unless and until we don’t comprehend this from both the perspectives without any contradictions, since it is all actually only ONE with no without, we can keep discussing free will form either perspective indefinitely.

Just to give a simple example, keeping in mind all the possible and probable uncertainties that I may or may not be aware of, I am also logically aware that I can, and could, and will, not make a single post on this forum for the next 24 hours, and although I am governed by cause and effect, cause and effect can say no although it could do otherwise, that is post within 24 hours. In this, one can see that what it eventually does was not necessarily the only possible result it could achieve, (freedom), showing the capability of its diverse possibilities, but what it did achieve could not have been otherwise, hence not violating its own nature at its core.

If this is not clear enough, it is only my shortcoming at explaining it, but not how I actually comprehend it, without any contradictions. I am never confused as to my responsibilities or morality, cause and effect makes me responsible and moral, dictated by my logic that is based on cause and effect, and indeed it is that itself.

Cause and effect itself is free by nature, and we are nothing more or less than that.

Your views?
Pye: Our futures will be determined, just as with every convergent moment of the present they are determined now. A misapplication/misunderstanding of determinism, from my point of view, is that determinism is somehow already determined, so to speak, when clearly this is not so. Determinism -- like causation -- when fully perceived, leads inevitably to the thought of infinity.

What is determined is determined in every moment of every convergence, and every convergence is living in time, rather than living out its time. And every convergence will never fully equal every other one, ad infinitum.

Our smallest slices of cause/effect awareness also tell us of this infinity, too. Predictability, probability, do not rule it out either. They also point the way
---------
Elizabeth Isabelle

Thank you Sapius. It was your words in the above quote that clarified your position for me. You do a fine job of explaining yourself; often a better job than people with English as our primary language.