Food, water, shelter...$$$

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
skipair

Food, water, shelter...$$$

Post by skipair »

I'm not sure I have the boyscout skills to hack it alone in nature...at least at this point in my life. If I want isolation, I need to be able to afford it in some sense.

For those of you actually alone (plus a computer), how do you do it?
Greg Shantz

Re: Food, water, shelter...$$$

Post by Greg Shantz »

I live with my father and brother and get a disability pension from the provincial government.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Greg, how did you get your disability pension, is it genuine or just bullshitting? do you need it if you live with your father and brother?
Amor fati
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Another slow night... why not?

-snow caine-
skipair - I'm not sure I have the boyscout skills to hack it alone in nature...

-tomas-
Consider the girlscouts, loser.

-snow- caine-
at least at this point in my life.

-tomas-
Consider the Marines, they're looking for a few, good wusses.

-snow caine-
If I want isolation, I need to be able to afford it in some sense.

-tomas-
World War 2 bombers on the Moon.

-snow caine-

-tomas-
Look, pal, a little more info on what you are babbling about and i wouldn't have to fly off the handle on a misnomered rant. Thanks.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

skipair

Post by skipair »

Thomas, I feel almost overwhelmed with gratitude for your generosity in creating the opportunity for me and everyone else to learn from your wisdom, and that you are so selfless that you actually did not care if you yourself looked like a total moron as a result. I know some would say your posts are retarded, but I would never say that, knowing that you clearly have more life experiences and are so ready to share them, calling them retarded would simply be unfair....to the retarded people.

ps - love the weed posts, keep it up!

best,
skipair
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

Buy a really heavy coat if you have cold winters. Buy some weapons and try to minimize the ammo problem (spears and knives best). Learn how to hunt. Work out and run intensively. Begin the adventure in the summer. Don't hunt near cities or where there are police around or you will have to either kill the cops or run away without your food.

You need to learn practical bush survival skills for your region like what types of mushrooms to eat, what types of snakes and bugs to avoid (and how), etc.
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

skipair wrote:I'm not sure I have the boyscout skills to hack it alone in nature...at least at this point in my life. If I want isolation, I need to be able to afford it in some sense.
How old are you? (Knowing what someone does when they are fifty might not help you if you are twenty.)

What are you trying to accomplish?

-tomas- wrote: Consider the girlscouts, loser.
LOL

I just started reading the "Crisis Prepareness Handbook" which might come in handy, especially when it comes to food - all that stuff that I should have learned back in the Girl Scouts, way back when. Working on those skills is a good idea, if they are lacking. Read up on it, go camping.
skipair

Post by skipair »

WhorlyWhelk wrote:Don't hunt near cities or where there are police around or you will have to either kill the cops or run away without your food.
lol. If only I was still a girlscout, I could be cute and get away with it!

DHodges wrote:How old are you?

What are you trying to accomplish?
I'm 25. I don't want to slip into the social norms of how to make a living. I don't want a boss. I only want to be able to be healthy. I've thought about either starting my own business (maybe an exercise program), working national parks, or becoming a hunter/gatherer. One of the things I've read here is in order to gain more consciousness, isolation to some extent is probably necessary. I currently live in the US but am soon moving to a small valley town in the Italian Alps. Basically, I'm looking into the face of not really knowing where my food is coming from, though I've made it this far. Just wanted a point of reference from you genuises out there ;) Or any girlscout leaders like Tomas.

Thanks for the book tip.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Skipair wrote:
A security guard position works for me. I don’t live on my own yet, but I make enough money to be able to live in a one-bedroom or bachelor apartment if I wanted to. I might have to live in a crime-area, but you just need to know when not to walk outside.

Security is easy work, plus introverted philosopher types blend right in because typically the jobs are taken by those with low intelligence/social/emotional problems, or young overly aggressive males who were too dumb to get into the police force, so it quite easy to blend into the mix with such a wide variety of riff raft.

Funny story – One of the field officers who works for us really wanted to get into the military police, but he didn’t pass the tests, so he tried to get into the regular police, and they wouldn’t let him in there either, so now he works for us. But the funny thing is, the other day, my supervisor suspended him because he was driving around in the company car with one of those amber flashing lights mounted onto the dash, and then he’d take it out at the end of his shift…LOL…. Apparently he had been doing that ritual ever since he was rejected by the regular police…

Btw, if you don’t plan to work, It’s pretty easy to survive in any democratic country that has many social programs. Even the homeless alcoholics in my city are able to find free government supplied soup and turkey dinners to eat, a homeless shelter to stay at, or a local food bank to leech off of. And then in addition to that they are able to panhandle enough money to pay for their caffeine and alcohol addiction quite easily.

I think you’d have to be completely retarded to go into nature alone, and try to survive. Especially when it is so easy to get by in the smaller cities of most democratic countries.
Shardrol

Post by Shardrol »

Living off the land on your own takes a great deal of labor & planning. I would say more than an average job.

If you're looking for isolation you can find it in the middle of a city. It depends on how you live & your own state of mind. The bigger the city, the more people will ignore you unless you forcibly bring yourself to their attention. This is the way we give each other space in an overcrowded environment.

You can be an urban hermit. It's more a state of mind.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Yes, I agree with that completely. I think in practical terms one issue is where skipair lives. If it's the US he'll find it hard to live without working.
Faust

Post by Faust »

and thank the lord for that, I'm tired of paying thousands in taxes for lazy-ass Canucks and Kangaroos. Atleast Americans still got some sense, some. Canada, Britain and Australia have really lost their minds with their lavish social programs, eventually it's going to collapse.
Amor fati
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:A security guard position works for me. I don’t live on my own yet, but I make enough money to be able to live in a one-bedroom or bachelor apartment if I wanted to. I might have to live in a crime-area, but you just need to know when not to walk outside.
Lol, be a security guard; the pay is shite but you can handle living in the high crime neighborhood that's all you can afford.
Security is easy work, plus introverted philosopher types blend right in because typically the jobs are taken by those with low intelligence/social/emotional problems, or young overly aggressive males who were too dumb to get into the police force, so it quite easy to blend into the mix with such a wide variety of riff raft.
Lol, you can learn to be wise on the job, because you're surrounded by dummies. And if it all gets too intense you can escape with the dummies on a big ol' riff raft.
Btw, if you don’t plan to work, It’s pretty easy to survive in any democratic country that has many social programs. Even the homeless alcoholics in my city are able to find free government supplied soup and turkey dinners to eat, a homeless shelter to stay at, or a local food bank to leech off of. And then in addition to that they are able to panhandle enough money to pay for their caffeine and alcohol addiction quite easily.
Lol. Right, no need to work when you can live with homeless drunks!
I think you’d have to be completely retarded to go into nature alone, and try to survive. Especially when it is so easy to get by in the smaller cities of most democratic countries.
Lol. That's right, why do that when you can live in the city like a dumbass homeless alcoholic King!
Good Citizen Carl
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

You're like a big jolly Santa Claus Carl, Here’s a job for you when things get slow after December, a hallway monitor, it really suites that part of your ego that imagines himself as a bad ass.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Carl, how do you support yourself?
Amor fati
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Regular 40-hour a week job. Why?
Good Citizen Carl
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan, why don't you instead of complaining work on taking your logic/reasoning game up a notch?
Good Citizen Carl
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Carl G wrote:Regular 40-hour a week job. Why?

No doubt. Gotta work, go nuts otherwise with so much time and so little space to do it in.

Lay around and wait for the monthly welfare funds in a debit card - the creeps that run the gov't can "have fun" and delete people at will, siphon off public monies for their own pet projects.

Yeah peoples, go to school, mooch off the loan guarantees, go to grocery store and zip your card thru the smart box and bam!...free frankenfood! And adulterated with all the latest additives. Yummy.

Soybean oil - what a beautiful choice.

Also, speaking of Saddam, it is the U.S. that executed him not the Iraqis. It was Special Forces men with masks that did the job. It seems Bush insisted on this.

ps- Yup, i used the GI Bill many a times.. til i wised up and did it my (philosophically speaking) go your own way.

Yawn, hit the sack, jack.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carl wrote:
Ryan, why don't you instead of complaining work on taking your logic/reasoning game up a notch?
Reasoning isn’t a game Carl, this isn’t one of your playstation 3 first person shooters, its real life…
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

i have argued on the 'survivor' lists that the kind of land the Pioneers built a life on in the wilderness is all farmland now, and that what's left in the 'national forests' was sold back to the government cause there was no way to make a living on it.

All the bunker boys and gun nuts get to do is starve a little slower than the urbanites. And as mentioned, intimate knowledge of a local ecosystem is critical. Men have always been able to get by in the bush alone... for a while. But to live very long, you need the efficiency of scale from a *community*.

A more realistic long term survival question relates to what a rural village would be like if there is an economic crisis and everyone has to get by on local resources. A gun wont do you much good if you are asleep when intruders arrive. There are those who think women, and therefore a younger generation would be handy later on in life. And for them, there's a whole new set of priorities.

One of the win/win options is to get into medicinal, birth control, and abortificant herbs. The Chinese government has done scientific double blind tests on over 1000. The German Commission E Monograph on herbs reports (last I saw) on studies of 380, finding scores of herbs with *proven* therapeutic value.

You can even start growing herbs under lights in an urban apartment. You may well know someone already doing it. But there are legal herbs you can grow with the same equipment and techniques. And as the price of pharmaceuticals keeps going up, so will the market for herbal alternatives.

And if you do get into the bush, you may learn to find some. In my neck of Ozark woods, they make money off gensing as well as the other herbs.... that the choppers keep looking for. Which is getting harder with new miniature strains. And if you can learn to grow herbs, you can learn to grow veggies. And with the rising fuel prices, greenhouses in local production can compete with warmer climate sources.

BTW: I've been here over 30 years. This is the first year I have not heard the choppers looking. Maybe they are all in Iraq. Things are changing. http://www.sisterzeus.com/qaluse.htm shows one of the herbs I grew this year. Increasing numbers of young women are going into "wicca", and this is one of the services modern 'witches' are again offering. No appointment, no protester line, no parental consent, no adoption sermon, no problems with pharmacists. The abortion debate is over, the fundies dont even know they lost.

There's a *reason* "Bachelor Button" is so named, and why "Blessed Thistle" is blessed, as well as why "Motherwort" wards off motherhood. Any dud that knows how to grow these may find a cash market soon, and if the proverbial shit hits the fan, then he'll have lotsa women for company.
Goddess made sex for company.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

How did i miss this one???

Friggin' hilarity, Carl.

Thanx, and a tip o' the hat.

Hahahah

Note to Ryan: Were you serious in your answers to sno caine?

Hahahah

Tomas

Carl G wrote:
Ryan Rudolph wrote:A security guard position works for me. I don’t live on my own yet, but I make enough money to be able to live in a one-bedroom or bachelor apartment if I wanted to. I might have to live in a crime-area, but you just need to know when not to walk outside.
Lol, be a security guard; the pay is shite but you can handle living in the high crime neighborhood that's all you can afford.
Lol, you can learn to be wise on the job, because you're surrounded by dummies. And if it all gets too intense you can escape with the dummies on a big ol' riff raft.
Lol. Right, no need to work when you can live with homeless drunks!
Lol. That's right, why do that when you can live in the city like a dumbass homeless alcoholic King!
TheChessPlayer

Post by TheChessPlayer »

nice post.
Last edited by TheChessPlayer on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ones who lie are true
average

Post by average »

why not just commit suicide?
TheChessPlayer

Post by TheChessPlayer »

1:A is A ,2: B is e ,3: C is 9 , 4: is D 12?

Yes, you were right ;') D IIs 12 because it is followed by the numbers A=3 B =6 and C=9
Ones who lie are true