A Flaw in Solway's reasoning?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Kelly wrote:
Today my memory tells me that the tree that is now down, was seen yesterday to be up. Perhaps also I rely on my definition of a tree, which is a thing that usually stands tall.
Kelly, you are circumventing Cory’s point with flawed logic. He is basically saying that events occur in the absence of an observer. Much of our scientific data has been due to the fact that events happen in the absence of an observer. For instance: A scientist sets up his instruments, and while he is away, events occur, and he interprets the data that was collected in his absence. The universe pushes forward whether we are watching or not.

You say that theories depend on a reasoning observer, which is correct. However, those very theories also depend on a world that continues to produce similar events over and over, independent of human thought, and perception.

A world operating in the absence of an observer is a necessary condition for an observer to learn about how the world works.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Ryan R wrote:Kelly wrote:
Today my memory tells me that the tree that is now down, was seen yesterday to be up. Perhaps also I rely on my definition of a tree, which is a thing that usually stands tall.
Kelly, you are circumventing Cory’s point with flawed logic. He is basically saying that events occur in the absence of an observer.
Not to be nit-picky here, I just want to make this as clear as possible. I'm saying that when the observer is absent, all events have already occured, in fact, there are no seperate events, no seperate causes, no seperate effects, no past, present or future moments, but instead there is only one undivided continuum without boundary, without begining, end.

However this infinite undivided continuum is unfathomably complicated in regards to its topography, and where the configurations are ripe, consciousness is. Consciousness percieves the illusionary simulation of time, causes and effects, past, present and future moments.
Much of our scientific data has been due to the fact that events happen in the absence of an observer. For instance: A scientist sets up his instruments, and while he is away, events occur, and he interprets the data that was collected in his absence. The universe pushes forward whether we are watching or not.
But when we are not watching - the event or thing does not exist in the sense that it is a part of that which has already happened. In fact, it's incorrect to say that it has 'happened'. It always was.

The view that consciousness takes is indeed illusionary, however the data creating the illusion is part of an actual objective reality that no consciousness will ever be able to fathom.
You say that theories depend on a reasoning observer, which is correct. However, those very theories also depend on a world that continues to produce similar events over and over, independent of human thought, and perception.
There is an objective reality independent of human thought, but it doesn't happen in time. It is an instantaneous infinite continuum.
A world operating in the absence of an observer is a necessary condition for an observer to learn about how the world works.
But in the absence of the observer, there is no world 'operating' - there is only the illusion of movement.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Cory,
Consciousness percieves the illusionary simulation of time, causes and effects, past, present and future moments.
However, I would also say that the notion of physical time is a necessary and vital tool to perceive the world. Understanding the how can only happen with the aid of cause and affect, and the aid of notions such as physical time. Namely that events occur in time. Both positions are equally important.
The event or thing does not exist in the sense that it is a part of that which has already happened. In fact, it's incorrect to say that it has 'happened'. It always was.
It is equally correct to say that all events happen in time, and that there are events that will happen in the future.
There is an objective reality independent of human thought, but it doesn't happen in time. It is an instantaneous infinite continuum.
Consciousness needs to operate in time in this world; we cannot accomplish anything without many measurements that imply physical time. It is a vital tool, and correct as far survival is concerned.
There is only the illusion of movement.
But it is a necessary illusion, we cannot abandon it if we are to survive, and learn about the world. What you are saying is absolutely correct, but not all that useful in daily affairs.

I think we need to understand the importance of each.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Ryan R wrote:Kelly: Today my memory tells me that the tree that is now down, was seen yesterday to be up. Perhaps also I rely on my definition of a tree, which is a thing that usually stands tall.

Ryan: Kelly, you are circumventing Cory’s point with flawed logic. He is basically saying that events occur in the absence of an observer. Much of our scientific data has been due to the fact that events happen in the absence of an observer. For instance: A scientist sets up his instruments, and while he is away, events occur, and he interprets the data that was collected in his absence. The universe pushes forward whether we are watching or not.
The passage of time is measured by the observer.

The scientistific instruments are observed.

There is no absolute time.

If there is no observer, then events will not be known as similar or dissimilar.

Theories are made to explain observations.

Does the observer have any experience at all of something, in the absence of his experiencing it ?

-
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Cory Duchesne wrote:I'm saying that when the observer is absent, all events have already occured, in fact, there are no seperate events, no seperate causes, no seperate effects, no past, present or future moments, but instead there is only one undivided continuum without boundary, without begining, end.

However this infinite undivided continuum is unfathomably complicated in regards to its topography, and where the configurations are ripe, consciousness is. Consciousness percieves the illusionary simulation of time, causes and effects, past, present and future moments.
Are you saying that the "infinite undivided continuum" is where real finite events and movements occur?

And that whatever consciousness perceives is some kind of inaccurate representation of the Infinite?

If so, your definition of "infinite" is not the same as my definition of "Infinite" (Ultimate Reality, the Universe).

-
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:I'm saying that when the observer is absent, all events have already occured, in fact, there are no seperate events, no seperate causes, no seperate effects, no past, present or future moments, but instead there is only one undivided continuum without boundary, without begining, end.

Are you saying that the "infinite undivided continuum" is where real finite events and movements occur?
They don't 'occur' within this continuum.

They 'are' this continuum. All things, events and moments are parts of eachother.

What I'm doing right now, literally is both the past and the future. Past, present and future are a seemless undivided whole - - they are not seperate happenings. They have already happened. But 'happened' isnt even correct.

'Instantaneousness' is all there is.
And that whatever consciousness perceives is some kind of inaccurate representation of the Infinite?
What consciousness percieves is some kind of reverberation of a part of the infinite, or a face of the infinite.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Cory Duchesne wrote:Kelly: And that whatever consciousness perceives is some kind of inaccurate representation of the Infinite?

Cory: What consciousness percieves is some kind of reverberation of a part of the infinite, or a face of the infinite.
What causes "not-reverberations"?

-
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That is both true and not true. What underlies and causes everything is instantaneous, so it can be said that everything is instantaneous, but obviously to an observor, or for that matter for any causal pattern (any thing) separated from another pattern by distance, then there is a large degree of non-instantaneousness.

I hope you do understand that if "Instantaneousness is all there is" then it would be logically impossible for anything to form or exist.

What causes something instantaneous in its infinite state to become non-instananeous in things, is really the big unanswered question that all philosophers and physicists should be trying to ascertain.

The effect of relativity is essentially one that delays causal flows. Relativity is the cause of observable differentiation, therefore it is relativity that creates "everything" (while observation creates "every thing"). Relativity could not exist without a fundamental dualistic creationary base existence.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:Kelly: And that whatever consciousness perceives is some kind of inaccurate representation of the Infinite?

Cory: What consciousness percieves is some kind of reverberation of a part of the infinite, or a face of the infinite.
What causes "not-reverberations"?
By reverberations, I mean, subjective reality.

So by not-reverberations, I mean 'any given part' of the totality as it is independent of consciousness. That being said, I would say your question is a wrong one.

Any given part of the totality as it is independent of consciousness is undivided from a continuum of unfathomably complex topography that spans infinitely in all directions.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Jamesh wrote:
To an observor, or for that matter for any causal pattern (any thing) separated from another pattern by distance, then there is a large degree of non-instantaneousness.
It depends what kind of consciousness you have. To you, there is the sense that 1950 was a seperate time from 2007, however, from the perspective of a higher god-like consciousness, maybe 1950 and 2007 on earth are presented like two peaks of a mountain silouetted side by side and percieved instantaneously from a point of view that you can't even imagine. Such a consciousness might percieve a representation of 50 years on earth in what would be to us, a single moment. There would be lot's of details that such a consciousness would miss, but such a mind might percieve general patterns and trends that to us requires superconsciousness, whereas the stuff we tend to see as significant between 1950 - 2007, the superconsciousness would see as unfathomably trivial and insignificant.
Last edited by Cory Duchesne on Wed May 16, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Cory Duchesne wrote:By reverberations, I mean, subjective reality.

So by not-reverberations, I mean 'any given part' of the totality as it is independent of consciousness. That being said, I would say your question is a wrong one.

Any given part of the totality as it is independent of consciousness is undivided from a continuum of unfathomably complex topography that spans infinitely in all directions.
I take it this thingy has a meaningful opposite, namely, "something that is not a continuum of unfathomably complex topography"...........?

-
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:By reverberations, I mean, subjective reality.

I take it this thingy has a meaningful opposite, namely, "something that is not a continuum of unfathomably complex topography"...........?
It's not a thingy. How can something that expands infinitely in all directions have an opposite? All opposites are contained within it.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Cory Duchesne wrote:Kelly: I take it this thingy has a meaningful opposite, namely, "something that is not a continuum of unfathomably complex topography"...........?

Cory: It's not a thingy. How can something that expands infinitely in all directions have an opposite? All opposites are contained within it.
By opposite, I just mean, whatever is logically not the same as it. So, if you posit that this "infinite" has some kind of dualistic nature, then it's not the Infinite as I define it.

For instance, where is the thingy that doesn't expand infinitely in all directions?

-
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:Kelly: I take it this thingy has a meaningful opposite, namely, "something that is not a continuum of unfathomably complex topography"...........?

Cory: It's not a thingy. How can something that expands infinitely in all directions have an opposite? All opposites are contained within it.
By opposite, I just mean, whatever is logically not the same as it.
The totality can't be contrasted with anything. Whatever you posit will automatically get included in the totality.
So, if you posit that this "infinite" has some kind of dualistic nature, then it's not the Infinite as I define it.
But I don't understand how it is that the infinite I'm positing could possibly have a dualistic nature.
For instance, where is the thingy that doesn't expand infinitely in all directions?
It couldn't possibly be anywhere.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Cory Duchesne wrote:The totality can't be contrasted with anything. Whatever you posit will automatically get included in the totality.
If by "infinite" you mean the totality of all possible things, then it cannot logically have any particular nature of its own.

Neither expanding nor contracting. Neither unfathomably complex nor fathomable and simple.

No nature at all.

That's why it is called Nature.

-
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:The totality can't be contrasted with anything. Whatever you posit will automatically get included in the totality.
If by "infinite" you mean the totality of all possible things, then it cannot logically have any particular nature of its own.
Well that's true.
Neither expanding nor contracting.

Well, it's not 'expanding' it's not 'ing' anything.
Neither unfathomably complex nor fathomable and simple.
Well, it's perfectly correct to regard it has unfathomable. Of course it's not fathomable.

What do you think David Quinn meant on this very thread when he said:

This void, which, by definition, can never be experienced by anyone or anything, has to be factored into the equation when it comes to thinking about this issue. It is that hidden part of Nature which gives rise to consciousness and its experiences, in a manner that is impossible for any of us to fathom.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Kelly Jones wrote:If by "infinite" you mean the totality of all possible things, then it cannot logically have any particular nature of its own.

(...)[Neither unfathomably complex nor fathomable and simple.]

No nature at all.

That's why it is called Nature.
Kelly, the way this is phrased, it looks like you are calling the Tao Te Ching a fantasy.

The part of your quote I snipped out "Neither expanding nor contracting" is correct, and the bracketed portion denies the possibility of wisdom.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Cory,
This void, which, by definition, can never be experienced by anyone or anything, has to be factored into the equation when it comes to thinking about this issue. It is that hidden part of Nature which gives rise to consciousness and its experiences, in a manner that is impossible for any of us to fathom.
Fathom means plumb the depths of, find the limits of. Find boundaries for. Suppose is finite.

Nevertheless, we can logically know and "fathom" that the hidden void cannot possibly be identified as a finite thing.

Also remember that this thread is in the context of demolishing the concept of an "external" or "objective" reality relative to an "internal" or "subjective" reality. When David writes in "Wisdom", that the Hidden Void is one of two aspects of Reality, note that the other is all appearances.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

The hidden void is an appearance too.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Faust13,
F: Self-generated huh? So some things DO inherently exist?

DQ: The Totality isn't a thing, which means that it is incapable of either existing or not existing.

F: So then it couldn't have generated itself
No, not in the sense of springing into being. Since it has been around since forever, it has never generated into being.

But it does generate itself in the sense that there is nothing outside of it which powers or sustains it. It is wholly reliant on its own powers.

-
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

David Quinn wrote:The hidden void is an appearance too.
David, don't you think it's worthwhile to establish a distinction between what we percieve with our eyes, and what we imagine with our thought?

Or are you implying that when one looks at a tree, a pond, a cloud, etc, one is looking at a particular face of the void?
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

David Quinn wrote:The hidden void is an appearance too.

-
Are you referring to mutual integration ?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory,
DQ: You really shouldn't be picturing the Totality as anything at all.

Cory: I'm not, as I realize perfectly well that a totality that extends in all directions infinitely does nothing but render meaningless any notion of 'center'. You can only picture the
totality relative to a center, and my definition of totality wipes out a center just as effectively as yours.

DQ: I meant picturing it as having any fixed form or objective existence "out there".

Cory: Well 'it', the totality itself doesn't have a fixed form or objective existence, but there are objective unfathomably bizzare topographies of some sort which the totality is comprised of, one that consciousness can never know completely, but only incompletely. It's because of these interconnected topographies existing independently from human thought, that we make accidental discoveries about reality. We discover fossils or like Rutherford we accidently experience alpha particles get ricocheted off of what was not included in the original hypotheses. It's true that there is only subjective reality insofar as consciousness can never see things as they really are but rather, consciousnes percieves only a mere distortion of the actual objective world.
Well, that's certainly the conventional viewpoint which we are all raised to believe in.

DQ: The perception of an infinite chain of worlds extending infinitely in all directions is still just a dualistic illusion existing in the moment, as is the hidden void.

Cory: A 'perception' of an infinite chain of worlds extending infinitely in all directions is impossible. You know as well as I do that percieving infinity, as well as conceptualizing it, is not possible.

DQ: The objective reality of an infinite chain of worlds extending infinitely in all directions is also impossible. It can only ever exist as a perceptual reality

Cory: Says you. I don't see any reason why what I percieve with my senses, cannot continue to act beyond. For instance, bread that I forgot about in the cupboard now has mold on it. The last time consciousness cast itself on the bread (a week ago) there was no mold. Now there is plenty of mold. Obviously there was something happening to the bread during the time when consciousness was not cast upon it. In other words, we take what our senses tell us, we reason about that empirical data, and we use logic to extrapolate our way to the conclusion that objective reality continues beyond the senses.
Imagine you are having a dream at night, wherein you place a piece of bread on a table and then come back to it some time later to find there is mold on it. Are we to conclude from this that the dream-bread slowly accumulated mold outside of the dreaming state while you were away doing something else?

DQ: The form of the Totality cannot be found in any dualistic illusion.

Cory: Of course not. It's not conceivable by thought, nor can it be percieved.

DQ: Well, it can be perceived, but only when you stop looking for it within dualistic illusions.

Cory: What do you mean infinity can be percieved? Perceiving is empirical, it's always limited in scope.

I mean directly perceiving its essential nature. When a person perceives the essential nature of what is before him, he immediately perceives the essential nature of all things in the Universe. He literally sees the whole of infinity in the limited perception before him. He is suddenly free of all forms and becomes omniscient in the purest sense.

I agree that the totality is not an object, it is not objective, subjective, a thing, etc. This is because it extends infinitely in all directions - INFINITELY. Thus we really can't hold it in our minds, we cant think about it, its not an object, its not experiencable. However within its infinite expanse is the objective reality that we can percieve in a way that is so highly incomplete and distorted, that we can say that we are limited only to subjective sense impression that will never be entirely real.
Again, that is a limited, conventional outlook you are expressing. It is a ziliion miles away from the kind of deep perception and amazing wisdom that I am talking about.

DQ: Since existence is equivalent to appearance....

Cory: So why are we equating existence with appearance? Perhaps you are taking one false step at the very begining and from there fabricating on and on superfluously, creating all sorts of unnecceary confusion.
This is one of those points which are very difficult to articulate in words. All I can really do is point your attention to it and hope that you will see it.

A thing only finds its existence in the perspective generated by an observer. As soon as you try to think of an objective world existing beyond the mind, you are immediately generating a perspective for such a world to exist in. Even things like "the topography of an objective world" requires a perspective to provide shape, definition and existence to it.

Can anything exist without this perspective? That is the question you need to ponder deeply. I have concluded that it is impossible. The idea of a thing existing without a perspective generated by an observer is meaningless to me. I place it in the same same category as a square circle. You can conceive of it in a loose sense, but at its core it is too self-contradictory and incoherent to be meaningful.

DQ: Consciousness is not really a mystery because we know that it is caused, just like anything else is. It's true that we can't really follow all the precise causal pathways which lead to its
existence, but then we can't really do that with anything else either. So at root, it is no more mysterious than anything else.

C: I do agree that we can diffuse the mystery to a degree insofar as we can say that there was always somethingess. Any sort of question which asks: "Why something instead of nothing?" is a wrong question. In that regard, mundane, inert matter is not very mysterious. However, what lies beyond the limits of consciousness is mysterious, and how exactly the universe becomes conscious of itself is really quite incredible and mysterious, and according to your logic David, no sort of objective scientific explanation will suffice, because scientific explanations are based on an objective world that causes subjective experience.
It would only be a mystery if consciousness sprung into being out of nothing whatsoever. But since we know it has causes, just like anything else, then it isn't a mystery - at least not in an ultimate sense. Yes, it is true that we can't scientifically or empirically join the dots between consciousness and the hidden void in any detail, but that isn't a big issue for me. I accept it as being part of the truth about Reality.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Kelly,
DQ: The hidden void is an appearance too.

K: Are you referring to mutual integration ?
No, more along the lines of mutual abandonment. The hidden void is as much an appearance to us as the trees, clouds and mountains we experience in everyday life. It is a dualistic illusion which has to be abandoned along with every other appearance.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory,
DQ: The hidden void is an appearance too.

C: David, don't you think it's worthwhile to establish a distinction between what we percieve with our eyes, and what we imagine with our thought?

Or are you implying that when one looks at a tree, a pond, a cloud, etc, one is looking at a particular face of the void?
Sometimes it is accurate and useful to make distinctions between sense-perception and thought; at other times, not. When it comes to examining the issue of existence in and of itself, then all existences need to be grouped in the same box. The existence of a thought is just as real as the existence of a mountain or a hidden void. They each consist of an appearance presented to consciousness.

As for your second question, I see trees, ponds, and clouds as being faces of Reality. The hidden void is just another face of Reality. It is as much a manifestation of Reality as all these other things are.

-