Paranormal Ability

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Steven Coyle

Paranormal Ability

Post by Steven Coyle »

Wondering if anyone on the Genius Forum has any personal experience with psychic phenomena. If willing to share, much appreciation, etc.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

When I was a kid, I remember my neighbors dog communicating with me. It was probably my imagination.

When I go to sleep and need to wake up at a certain time, my body will wake itself up at the correct time without an alarm clock. Doesn't happen all of the time, or if I 'try' to do it or anything.

I can intuit a person's character within the first minute of meeting them. I think most people are capable of this...it's just that I pay more attention to that than how a person is acting, so I don't fall for shit and can generally tell when a person is gonna start acting up.

Nothing too cool or anything. I don't believe in weird powers.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Thanks for responding.

Here's something I've been thinking about lately: Ever thought about uncovering personal symbolism - animals, plants, insects, etc - (similar to the symbolism that occurs in the dream state), and experiencing their personal meaning in waking reality? As an example, a few weeks ago, I was sitting at my desk, thinking about a family member, and how to resolve a personal conflict, when out of nowhere a beaver walks across our lawn. Immediately I knew that in order to resolve the conflict, I had to become more assertive and work.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I'm not sure what you mean, Steven.
- Scott
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

What I'm getting at is a return to viewing the world as a landscape for the imagination: Learning to view reality through the mind's eye. IE, while listening to the latest installment of The Reasoning Show, in which memetics was discussed, I saw a finch offer a crow food, in mid-flight. It's by developing what shaman's call a "link", and by what Buddhist's term "seeing into your own nature" that reality becomes more and more a gigantic eyeball.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Why do you want to do that?
- Scott
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

To discover myself within the Universe.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I don't understand. You haven't discovered yet that you are Steven Coyle?
- Scott
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Still working on the vowels and consonants. P's and Q's; things like that.

:-)
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Steven,

Getting feedback from Nature is great stuff, and those are great examples you gave. Traditional Native American spirituality utilizes this practice extensively. During my days doing sweatlodges with the Lenape (Delaware) back East I developed the ability to read Nature this way myself. I haven't kept it up, although fairly frequently some incident like your beaver one will hit me over the head. Later I had a girlfriend, also in touch with Native American spirituality, who could do this amazingly well. She could read the landscape like she was reading tea leaves, for other people. I believe we are literally tuning in to the Tao, exactly as we do, by the way, if we would consult the I Ching (Book of Changes) with a question and throw of coins.
Good Citizen Carl
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Scott,

I can also relate to your comments about animal communication and biological clock.

During my late teens I ran across a book, "Kinship With All Life" by J Allen Boone, which described, among other things, the author's mental communication with a German Shepard. As it happened, I was keeping a very intelligent Shepard dog for someone for a period of months. During that time, I tested the ideas in the book, and had several intense experiences of the type described.

And there have been several periods in my life when I have either been able to wake without alarm clock at the same time every morning, or, knew within a few minutes what time it was at any point during the day. This I would not term paranormal.
Good Citizen Carl
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Carl,

Great feedback. I'm going to do some more research; Native American spirituality never crossed my mind, but looks to fit in perfectly with the experiences I've been having.

Ever heard of the pineal gland, more commonly refered to as the "Third Eye"? After "opening" psychic ability manifests. I'm beginning to explore the possibilities. Pretty cool stuff.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

My third eye is opened. I haven't found it to bring about any kinds of psychic abilities.
- Scott
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

How do you know its open then?

What conception are you working from?
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Energy rises to it and it's as if my mind flips inside out and I experience a strange kind of brightness and alive/awakeness. I achieved it by meditation and some specific yogic practices, like khechari mudra and siddhasana.
- Scott
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Hmm.

I was reading that once the 9th chakra is opened (the crown chakra), in conjunction with the 8th (the 3rd eye), psychic ability manifests. Maybe something to look into ...
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I'm not sure. I've opened the crown as well and haven't experienced anything fancy. When it comes to these types of things, it's best to find out for yourself rather than to believe just because someone says it.

To make it clear - when a person enters into samadhi their entire nervous system is awakened. I enter into that state every time I meditate.

By the way, I don't know what system you're talking about, but generally the crown is considered the 7th chakra, and the third eye - the 6th.
- Scott
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

sschaula wrote:When I was a kid, I remember my neighbors dog communicating with me.
Me too. I figured it was trying to tell me it was pissed off. It bit me.
Katy

Post by Katy »

I've spent enough time around neopagans to have heard all the stories. The problem is there really isn't much consistancy to them. It's like listening to UFO abductees... other than "bright light" there's not much that remains the same through even the majority of stories.
-Katy
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Dan and Katy weigh in with nothing.
Good Citizen Carl
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

In my younger years, I remember being terrified by what seemed to be my friend's dog's ability to "speak", it was as if the dog was responding to how I felt about it in my head. If viewed as vicious, it would turn into a whirlwind of activity and if viewed as calm and relaxed it would be so. The thought always preceded the action of the thing. What terrified me is what I saw in the dog's eyes, the possibility that 'I' could be a dog, not that 'I' could be reborn a dog, but that 'I' could be as lost and unconscious and not in control.

Now that I think of it, the very same thing stopped me from dating. The unconscious nature of women caused them to be as I viewed them, and woe to the man who cedes power to an illusion. There's nothing like a deep silence to fend off any advances you may have initiated.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Steven Coyle wrote:What I'm getting at is a return to viewing the world as a landscape for the imagination: Learning to view reality through the mind's eye. IE, while listening to the latest installment of The Reasoning Show, in which memetics was discussed, I saw a finch offer a crow food, in mid-flight. It's by developing what shaman's call a "link", and by what Buddhist's term "seeing into your own nature" that reality becomes more and more a gigantic eyeball.
Yeah, but animal totem speak is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. From there on it could develop into deeper shades of paranoia, which has been called "reality on a finer scale" in some movie but it's a brilliant phrase.

Tuned on that scale everything starts changing form: taking on new meanings and messages. Creation, your creation, the world, starts to explain its own message, narrative - it becomes its own explanation. One becomes in that way much like Nietzsche's misunderstood but great symbolist par excellence; his half-hearted description of Jesus.

David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Steven Coyle wrote:
To discover myself within the Universe.
Or perhaps to enhance yourself within the Universe.

At root, it is a feeling of lacking, and the absence of faith in one's true nature, that drives people to project symbolic meaning onto chance events and coincidences. It is a form of egotistically wanting to be in the center of the Universe, an expression of feeling alienated.

-
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I agree with David.
- Scott
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

At root, it is a feeling of lacking, and the absence of faith in one's true nature, that drives people to project symbolic meaning onto chance events and coincidences. It is a form of egotistically wanting to be in the center of the Universe, an expression of feeling alienated.
So the concept of meaningful synchronicities is invalid? I'm not so sure. The problem might lie in attempting to relate the meaning you derive from a synchronicity to someone else. Something gets lost along the way, much as a powerful dream loses its potency when you try to tell it to another person. It doesn't necessarily follow that the "synchronicity" is therefore meaningless.