Skepticism

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Matt Gregory

Skepticism

Post by Matt Gregory »

This point may seem strange, but I think it is useless to absolutely doubt the existence of something, even things like a powerful god or unicorns.

Why? Because the nonexistence of a thing cannot be proven, the possibility of encountering an allegedly nonexistent thing cannot be discounted, so the absolute doubt of the existence of a thing is an attitude that creates a mental block in the form of defense of this error.

If you want to doubt something, the proper way to do it is to doubt the correctness of the means of getting to it. There's always the possibility that a thing exists but isn't being approached in the right way.

That is skepticism; absolute doubt is not. Absolute doubt is simple denial, a belief in a negative, no different from positively believing in something without proof. The same logical error is being committed in both cases.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with disbelieving in things whose existence is logically impossible, like a square circle or something. It would be insane to entertain the possibility of impossible things.

And then there's the issue of not wanting to pursue something and no one can be faulted for that. But there is a lot more integrity in thinking you won't pursue something because you don't want to rather than because it supposedly doesn't exist, as one truth is complete but one error leads to a thousand.

Skepticism isn't belief nor disbelief, it's an unknowing.
Last edited by Matt Gregory on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: Skepticism

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Matt Gregory wrote:Because the nonexistence of a thing cannot be proven, the possibility of encountering an allegedly nonexistent thing cannot be discounted, so doubting the existence of a thing is an attitude that creates a mental block in the form of defense of this error.
This does not logically follow, and I think the problem is in your definition of doubt. Saying "I can not prove that unicorns do not exist, therefore I do not doubt that unicorns do exist" is obviously foolish. It is also quite different from "I can not prove that unicorns do not exist, so I acknowledge the possibility that they do exist."

"Doubt" means believing that it probably is not true, as opposed to believing that it is impossible.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Fixed. Thanks!
"Doubt" means believing that it probably is not true, as opposed to believing that it is impossible.
Yeah, I agree with your definition of doubt, but a lot of times people act as if were defined in the latter way. That's what I was trying to pinpoint.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Matt Gregory wrote: Skepticism isn't belief nor disbelief, it's an unknowing.
Reminds me of a current thread over at Common Ascent where THE OFFICIAL GOD FAQ was posted for comment. At the actual site, the entire FAQ consists of:
THE OFFICIAL GOD FAQ

Question: “Is there a God?”

Answer: “No.”
Under that, in fine print is:
In the quite unlikely event that you were to discover any omissions or inaccuracies on this page, they may be reported to the international headquarters of The Official God FAQ, at aod@400monkeys.com, where they will be thoroughly investigated, submitted to rigorous scientific testing and, if substantiated, included in a subsequent update. Thank you.
To which I emailed them:

The correct answer is "Unknown."
Good Citizen Carl
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

You have to admit though, it wouldn't have quite the same punch.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Matt Gregory wrote:This point may seem strange, but I think it is useless to absolutely doubt the existence of something, even things like a powerful god or unicorns.
This is only true wherein the concepts contain no actual logical contradiction. If they do, their non-existence can be demonstrated.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Dan, if I didn't know better, I would think that you're not reading all of the text that I am posting to the forum!
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Haha, you're right. I didn't. My bad, as they say.
Duke

Post by Duke »

Matt Gregory wrote:
Why? Because the nonexistence of a thing cannot be proven, the possibility of encountering an allegedly nonexistent thing cannot be discounted, so the absolute doubt of the existence of a thing is an attitude that creates a mental block in the form of defense of this error.
Good point, I agree.
MindExpansion

I need an editor...

Post by MindExpansion »

All truth has connections, just like errors...So, if something is true everything connected that produces that truth, obviously has to be right also...same thing with an error~ which I view it as a domino effect (negative)...denying is like shuting a door..hmmm
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

TREVOR stop slamming the door in your face...there's enough mental fog already...lol
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

*SORRY*
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Matt Gregory wrote:Of course, there's nothing wrong with disbelieving in things whose existence is logically impossible, like a square circle or something.
True, although I think that a person may doubt his own ability to determine correctly what things are logically impossible. Complete skepticism includes doubt about whether your methods of assessing ideas are reliable methods.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Philosophaster wrote:
Matt Gregory wrote:Of course, there's nothing wrong with disbelieving in things whose existence is logically impossible, like a square circle or something.
True, although I think that a person may doubt his own ability to determine correctly what things are logically impossible. Complete skepticism includes doubt about whether your methods of assessing ideas are reliable methods.
Which is fine until the doubt becomes a certainty and the belief that no one at all can determine anything correctly. That's a contradictory position and probably the most detrimental belief a person can hold to.

We can determine things correctly if we keep things simple. It's not hard to see that a shape can't be a square and a circle at the same time. There's no room for error in such a simple problem.
ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

Is it possible to doubt the existence of a square circle? What exactly would we be doubting in such a circumstance? If we can't say what it is that we're calling impossible, then it stands to reason that we aren't talking about anything at all.
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

Nice, the post above is exactly what others should try to answer!
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

*life... she's one of the smartest on this forum:)
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Is it possible to doubt the existence of a square circle? What exactly would we be doubting in such a circumstance? If we can't say what it is that we're calling impossible, then it stands to reason that we aren't talking about anything at all.
Right. The question is meaningless.
I live in a tub.
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

just like this forum:)
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Are you intellectually bipolar?
I live in a tub.
MindExpansion

Post by MindExpansion »

I see your point....