Would a truly enlightened person decide to have children?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
xerosaburu

Would a truly enlightened person decide to have children?

Post by xerosaburu »

I can't think of any reason.

Having said that it would seem that the genes which lend themselves to the pursuit of enlightenment would be weeded out of the genetic pool.

The future > blithefully unaware and inept people deevolving into the chimps from whence they sprang.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

You can't become enlightened by having children, so I fail to see the purpose of this question.

I would think it's a personal question that every enlightened person has to answer for themselves, just like everyone else.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Matt Gregory wrote:You can't become enlightened by having children, so I fail to see the purpose of this question.
He didn't ask if someone attempting to become enlightened would have children, he asked if an enlightened person would have children - and pointed out the implications of not passing such genetics on to the next generation.

If the enlightened person had good genetic material and felt purpose-driven to have children, it probably would be better to at least also have some people in the next generation with wisdom-genes. The unenlightened are going to keep breeding (a lot) anyway, and perhaps one of the brighter offspring will help guide what's left of the world to a better position. At worst, since there are not too many enlightened beings anyway, it can't significantly add to the overpopulation problem...
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
Matt Gregory wrote:You can't become enlightened by having children, so I fail to see the purpose of this question.
He didn't ask if someone attempting to become enlightened would have children, he asked if an enlightened person would have children - and pointed out the implications of not passing such genetics on to the next generation.
Right, it's a trivial, worldly concern that will do more to prevent enlightenment than help it.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

An enlightened person may well decide to have children if circumstances warranted such a thing - population issues for example. There's no absolute reason why they would not have children but certainly in current circumstances it's almost impossible to think of a reason that they would.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

If a person were truly enlightened, they wouldn't ever decide anything having to do with this mirage of a world. It would be like suddenly believing in a video game. They wouldn't be enlightened if that were the case.

The enlightened person would stop "playing the game", if they were to actually be enlightened. However - no person is enlightened.
- Scott
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

sschaula wrote:If a person were truly enlightened, they wouldn't ever decide anything having to do with this mirage of a world. It would be like suddenly believing in a video game. They wouldn't be enlightened if that were the case.

The enlightened person would stop "playing the game", if they were to actually be enlightened. However - no person is enlightened.
Are you saying that a truly enlightened person would just stop eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, etc.? Essentially die of dehydration?
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Yeah of course.
- Scott
Dionysius the Undying

Post by Dionysius the Undying »

I consider myself Semi-Enlightened myself. And this pressing problem is what led me to post a slightly tongue in cheek thread addressing this very problem, namely, how are we to breed when the very presence of Woo-min is so distasteful?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I'm not sure that's really a problem at this point since the world is almost entirely populated with beings who find Woo-min anything but distasteful.
Dionysius the Undying

Post by Dionysius the Undying »

Quite right, Mr. Dan Rowden---but why should these clowns be allowed to continue to breed? The current state of societies all across the world is the direct result of these buffoons and their voluntary slavery to the world of the senses.

I should like to provide a breeding ground fit for Sages.
HUNTEDvsINVIS

Post by HUNTEDvsINVIS »

mMmM...maybe the general population got out of control becuase the geniuses were too enlightened to allow the genius population to get out of control...mMmM...I'm afraid Woo-Min has justification for its justification after all.