Meaning of Life

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Pye wrote::) . . . so maybe some reflection then before reaction.
You asked easy questions that I already knew the answers to. How long do you need to reflect before answering what 2 + 2 equals?
Pye wrote:There is exactly a phenomenal self. There is simply no in-itself quality to it (noumenal). People here use the words inherent and non-inherent to express this. And jumping over this to obliterate it linguistically is not dealing with it.
It is also part of the goal here to eliminate the ego. Mine was gone by the end of 8th grade. If you insist there is a phenomenal self and I am aware that I do not have one, the burden of proof is on you, as a negative can not be proven. You say you can not find one in me despite my 1200+ posts here and who knows what you have read of me elsewhere. It isn't there. If you say it is, then where Pye, where?
Pye wrote:Elizabeth, in my estimation, you have assumed far too much and assumed yourself far too far-along in it. Perhaps your IQ, degrees, accolades, etc. assist you in this. You have entered, and not done the work of going backwards to the beginning: perhaps you have assumed your intellectual credentials earn you a seat ahead of everyone else. This assumption is exactly what will keep you behind.
Just because I have not been on GF since its inception does not mean that I have not thought at all before coming here. None of the QRS needed GF to prompt their philosophy, why do you assume that no one but them could possibly have thought on their own? You are a follower Pye, not an independant. Although you are intelligent and insightful, you still project some of yourself onto others. Just because you are a perpetual student of self-ordained teachers does not mean that everyone who perpetually learns is someone who devotes themselves to particular teachers.
Pye wrote:Otherwise, you have adapted to the lessons and lingo of the site and not done the actual, the painful work of it. Someday maybe.
Perhaps you consider yourself a disciple of the QRS as a number of others here do. That is a sad concept. This is a mesage board, and the administrators of this board have the noble concept of prompting others to think and hammeriing out better thinking from those who already think.

You assume that if someone has not done painful work under the guidance of your teachers that a person could not possibly have done any work of value at all. You are not exactly self centered, but you have appointed yourself as best judge of all teachers and have decided to make the QRS the center of your spiritual universe (and think that everyone else here should too) - and that isn't even what your teachers are trying to teach you to do - they are trying to teach you to think for yourself.

Pye, just because it is in your nature to be submissive does not mean that everyone should be submissive to those you personally have chosen to be submissive to. If you want to bow or curtsey to the QRS, that's your business - although I think it would make them feel silly in person.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Elizabeth writes:
You are a follower Pye, not an independant.

Pye, just because it is in your nature to be submissive . . . .
*roflmao*! Whose center of whose universe has this place become?

I hope David, Kevin, Dan, Sue, Trevor, Matt, Jamesh, (the places I teach) and the whole host of others I have historically disagreed with here can see the humour in this, too.

Okay, Elizabeth. You can make this about me. It will, if nothing else, buy you a little time.

Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

(God help me...)

Pye wrote:
It is striking me that you need to be alpha-female amongst the males, and that this is exactly what you recognize as well in Sue, your soulmate in this.
Some easily accessible and recent Elizabethan quotes:
Why did you [Kelly] post this? Did you think we were all just sitting around here asking ourselves "When is Kelly Jones going to return? Who is she going to talk to? What will she be talking about?"
Sue is brighter than either of those options. Look for her ulterior motives, and you will see the difference between when Sue is actually speaking (which actually is almost never) and when Sue is playing traffic cop.
I am a female, and I am a thinker - and I think better than Sue does. I'm entitled to point that out in the way I see that Sue might best see what I'm saying.
Although our numeric birthdays are one day different, considering the time difference equates to a date difference between the US and Austrailia, it could be said that my birthday is the same as that of one of the QRS. Based on just that information and your astrological beliefs, can you guess whose birthday that is?
To David:
You may not think as quickly as I do, but you think thouroughly. Except for processing speed, you're probably as smart as I am.
I figured you were as smart as I am - and that proves it.
I do not exist - of course you could not find a phenomenal self - it isn't there.
Oh, really? Who is communicating above and below, then:
If I answered left brained to exactly half of the questions and right brained to exactly half of the questions, that means I'm not dominated by either side. I use my whole brain effectivly, using my right brain for right brained stuff and my left brain for left brained stuff (which makes rational sense). I'm equally strong on both sides, and that is fairly on par with my IQ test results from an online test I took a few months ago.
Most people die in their delusions, and many people spread delusions to others.
~

What I love about people who don’t exist is that they sure have a hell of a lot to say and one hell of an opinion of themselves, to boot!

[waves the traffic by…]

Elizabeth Isabelle

Well, if the females were not saying such dippy things, maybe it wouldn't look like I'm attacking the females so much.
Leyla Shen wrote:What I love about people who don’t exist is that they sure have a hell of a lot to say and one hell of an opinion of themselves, to boot!
I was able to assess David's IQ more accurately than he was even able to assess his own, and more accurately than his psychiatrist's report on him. This does not reflect an opinion of my ability to interpret what I see, but it does reflect the truth of my abilities. It would be untruthful to misrepresent one's self. I also recognize that people (especially here) do not believe that a representation of one's abilities could possibly be accurate if the truth of the matter indicates ability, which is why I have backed up my statements with verifyable sources where possible.

What does the birthday quote have to do with what we are discussing? I was refuting Jim's astrology assertations, and presented that as a test for him. I only know a half-dozen birthdays of people on this board, and one of them happened to be close enough to work for a test of this nature, and it just happened to be the birthday of one of the QRS. If I knew your birthday and your birthday rather than his happened to be the same as mine, I would have listed off a number of members and asked Jim to select which one matched mine. If there were no matches, I would not have been able to present a test.
Leyla Shen wrote:Oh, really? Who is communicating above and below, then:
Just a small piece of the Whole.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Elizabeth wrote:
It is also part of the goal here to eliminate the ego. Mine was gone by the end of 8th grade.
You became a fully-enlightened Buddha by the end of 8th grade?

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

David Quinn wrote:Elizabeth wrote:
It is also part of the goal here to eliminate the ego. Mine was gone by the end of 8th grade.
You became a fully-enlightened Buddha by the end of 8th grade?

-
If that is your definition of a fully enlightened Buddha, then yes.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Ever since 8th grade, you have enjoyed uninterrupted, crystal-clear awareness of the nature of Reality, never experienced any suffering, never made any foolish, myopic decisions, always swam along in perfect freedom ....?

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

David Quinn wrote:Ever since 8th grade, you have enjoyed uninterrupted, crystal-clear awareness of the nature of Reality, never experienced any suffering, never made any foolish, myopic decisions, always swam along in perfect freedom ....?

-
No - but that is not the same as an eliminated ego. If your definition of a fully enlightened Buddha is someone who has enjoyed uninterrupted, crystal-clear awareness of the nature of Reality, never experienced any suffering, never made any foolish, myopic decisions, always swam along in perfect freedom .... then I did not become a fully enlightened Buddha by the end of the 8th grade.

"Fully enlightened Buddha" is just a phrase, and even the term "enlightened" points to different things for different people. Although you have a high enough value of meaning, I think you get too hung up on labels.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

So what do you mean by eliminating the ego, then? What is this ego that you have eliminated?

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

David Quinn wrote:So what do you mean by eliminating the ego, then? What is this ego that you have eliminated?
There are many parts to the ego:

Entitlement: The first manifestation of the ego is that which prompts an infant to cry louder when it is hungry, thirsty, wet, in pain, etc. and those needs are not getting met. That is the part of the ego that states “I’m entitled to have everything in my world be pleasant.” If this manifestation is left unchecked, as the infant ages and develops a bigger perception of the world, the being develops a growing sense of entitlement (such manifestations as “people should be nice to me” fall in this category, as well as the levels of desire that would lead to pain if the desire is not met). When one eliminates this part of the ego, one accepts that sometimes things just don’t go your way, and sometimes there just isn’t anything you can do about it.

Control: This part of the ego also emerges at the infant stage, and is the delusion that what the individual does has great cause on the world. This delusion grows when every time an infant cries, a parent shows up. The infant is mis-learning cause and effect here because it can not differentiate between what it is actually causing and what a parent is allowing it to prompt. If this is left unchecked, this part of the individual’s ego grows the delusion that they have more control over their environment, and the environment of others, than they do. If this part of the ego is eliminated, the individual has a realistic concept of what his or her actual abilities to cause various effects are.

Inherent Self Worth: Toddlers naturally have a feeling that they are somehow important just because they are them. They will interrupt their mothers no matter who the mother is talking to and demand her attention, often just because they want attention. If this is left unchecked, as the toddler ages, this part of the ego feeds delusional self-importance. If this part of the ego is eliminated, a person recognizes and accepts that the world does not really care about that individual.

Correctness/Shame: This is the most dangerous part of the ego in terms of what would keep one from becoming wise; paradoxically it is the driving force to become wise – so it should be the last part of the ego to be eliminated. It is also the last part of the ego to develop. It may even be a part of the ego that is imposed on the individual by others – particularly by punitive parents, teachers, and other children – by shaming the individual for not being right. This part of the ego drives one to want to never be wrong (which can set them on the path to the realization of Ultimate Reality). Small children are more okay with being wrong than older children, which is how they are more easily taught new things. This was particularly evident with the advance of computers, as people noticed that children caught on more quickly than adults – and it was discovered that adults are more afraid to make mistakes which inhibited their experimentation and direct contact time with the computers.

This aspect of the ego also poses a barrier to being truthful because people do not want others to know about their errors and shortcomings. This could cause a person to become deceitful.

When this aspect of the ego is eliminated, one becomes free as a small child to learn, to discard old opinions when new evidence indicates that another view is more likely to be closer to reality. It is important to note the difference between being as free to learn as a small child and being childlike because it takes a mature strength of character to permanently eliminate shame. With the elimination of shame, the person also becomes able to speak truths that are unpopular or for whatever reason difficult for others to believe (or predictably so).
Katy

Post by Katy »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote: If this part of the ego is eliminated, the individual has a realistic concept of what his or her actual abilities to cause various effects are.

However, on Monday Dec 4th, she also said
What's your honesty for being here? You knew Dan was here for a long time, but you only became active at GF after becoming aware that there was a female over here who was begining to understand Dan as a person.
( Over Here )

obviously believing herself as much more significant than she actually is. She ignores everything else that was happening (notably, the board I used to post at dying, and Dan actually explaining his philosophy to me enough that I wasn't just offended by perceived 'misogyny' )
-Katy
Elizabeth Isabelle

Futute Philosophy did not start dying until they ran a popularity contest... literally... with voting polls... You were over here before that happened, so you didn't just happen over here because FP was dying. And you joined Dan's harem after he explained to you how he wasn't some mean old misogynist - so that does not exactly refute my point.

I can see who you are very clearly Katy, despite the "I'm going to be friendly" mask you throw on from time to time, especially because it may help you meet some of your needs. Sun Tzu said "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" and that is the impression I keep getting from you.

I'll repeat again, I was able to understand much of David through his writings, and much of Kevin through his writings, but to figure out what to make of this "QRS philosophy" thing, I had to wander all over the internet to put together Dan's thinking from various threads. I felt confused by the attack I got from "Dan's harem" and all the attacks and accusations I got from Dan's harem who "thought" (using the term lightly) that I was after something other than answers. That experience really opened my eyes to a lot of the truth I had originally not believed when I read David and Kevin's "woman" philosophy.

Does a dog that wanders into a den of hungry lions (or lionesses in this case) feel self important? That's what you are saying about me here - like a lioness saying to the dog "quit running, you're not so important that I would want to eat you for dinner."

After the thread that you linked to (which I had recently alluded to as the reason I recognized it was not appropriate to be extra focused on showing truth to females), I left FP, CA and SW to give you your space, although I stayed at BA primarily because of Ree - an old friend who I never thought I'd see again - yet you continued to post attacks against me at BA (and as I found out later, tried to slam me on SW), and despite my backing off of your territory to give you your space, you still posted here, so I figured you were just going to have to tolerate me being here. After you seemed to calm down, I started poking back through the other boards to see if any interesting threads had cropped up.

What is your above post actually about? It's kind of bizarre for you to bring back a thread where you made 4 deletions of your posts (something that previously had gotten members banned - deleting posts after they had been replied to, and in one case changing a long rant of yours to "catfights are stupid" - what for? to make my answering post look bad?). Are you mad at me for going back to FP? Are you jealous because I was one of the people Robert thanked for showing concern during his absence? Or are you just missing Dan?
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Can't you ladies leave the drama aside? It seems to me you're busy quibbling over status- who gives a shit about your social status here or anywhere else?

By God, why do you have to start bringing your interpersonal relationship troubles to this forum? Where ever two or more are gathered in my name... etc, here it's more like where ever two or more are gathered, a hierarchy must be formed.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Bryan McGilly wrote:Can't you ladies leave the drama aside? It seems to me you're busy quibbling over status- who gives a shit about your social status here or anywhere else?

By God, why do you have to start bringing your interpersonal relationship troubles to this forum? Where ever two or more are gathered in my name... etc, here it's more like where ever two or more are gathered, a hierarchy must be formed.
I started this thread on the meaning of life because the topics here were begining to suck - now Katy has to bring in accusations - and you come up with "you ladies" - So what are you saying? I should not set things straight when I see this shit? David asked some decent questions, I posted my response of what I was referring to by ego, Katy pulls up a 2 month old catfight - and you come in with "you ladies" You sure as hell say something when you see bullshit, but if I try to set something straight I get the misogynist kid coming up with gender shit agian.

Fine - you and Katy have a lovely time.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:I started this thread on the meaning of life because the topics here were begining to suck - now Katy has to bring in accusations - and you come up with "you ladies" - So what are you saying?
There were only you two women fighting, hence you ladies. It's a figure of speech, get over it. Now you're acting the drama queen.
I should not set things straight when I see this shit?
You're only worried about your position, about being wronged. Ever here the story about the man not being angered by being struck by an empty boat? I thought you've been a Buddha since 8th grade?

You have a perfectly good thread going, maybe send a personal message to Katy so you two can resolve things instead of airing your respective dirty laundries in a forum devoted to genius.
David asked some decent questions, I posted my response of what I was referring to by ego, Katy pulls up a 2 month old catfight - and you come in with "you ladies" You sure as hell say something when you see bullshit, but if I try to set something straight I get the misogynist kid coming up with gender shit agian.
Even you acknowledge it as a 'catfight,' so tell me, what good does it do to jump back in it? What gender shit? Stop being retarded, you acknowledge yourself that it was between two women. Your emotional claws only harm yourself while you masturbate your ego.
See, you're partitioning out the hierarchy. Setting the battle lines. You're here enough to know I haven't so much as said 'boo' to Katy, much less would I align with either side of a catfight.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Ah, well, way to use it as a way to attack me (yet again) rather than addressing the point which is that you believe yourself way more important than you are and severely overestimate your effect on my life.

And here you do it again, suggesting that I deleted my post to make you look bad, when I did so to try to prevent drama with Robert because I had to work with him in trying to save FP.
-Katy
Katy

Post by Katy »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
I started this thread on the meaning of life because the topics here were begining to suck - now Katy has to bring in accusations - and you come up with "you ladies" - So what are you saying? I should not set things straight when I see this shit? David asked some decent questions, I posted my response of what I was referring to by ego, Katy pulls up a 2 month old catfight - and you come in with "you ladies" You sure as hell say something when you see bullshit, but if I try to set something straight I get the misogynist kid coming up with gender shit agian.

And wasn't another one of those "signs of ego" that you listed
Entitlement: The first manifestation of the ego is that which prompts an infant to cry louder when it is hungry, thirsty, wet, in pain, etc. and those needs are not getting met. That is the part of the ego that states “I’m entitled to have everything in my world be pleasant.” If this manifestation is left unchecked, as the infant ages and develops a bigger perception of the world, the being develops a growing sense of entitlement (such manifestations as “people should be nice to me” fall in this category, as well as the levels of desire that would lead to pain if the desire is not met). When one eliminates this part of the ego, one accepts that sometimes things just don’t go your way, and sometimes there just isn’t anything you can do about it.

You asked for evidence that you had an ego according to the terms you laid out, and I provided it. I guess you didn't really want what you asked for.

Why bring up that thread? Because it was an example I distinctly remembered of you contradicting yourself here.

For the record I don't hold a grudge against you for that thread. I really almost never hold a grudge against a person for any amount of time. There's nothing here but an attempt to get you to see where you remain unconscious and your ego remains. Which is perfectly in fitting with the purpose of the thread. Your attacks however, were completely out of place.
-Katy
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Bryan McGilly wrote:Can't you ladies leave the drama aside? It seems to me you're busy quibbling over status- who gives a shit about your social status here or anywhere else?

Catfight any time two women posters are arguing, dogfight when it's two men. I don't think it is fair to denigrate people for airing their disagreements, even personal ones, in public. As long as there is some resolution being reached through the process. Better than subterfuge and constant sniping.

After all, isn't the group here to assist one another to truthful perspective? How does one get there except from where one is now? Of course, there must be measurable progress, otherwise indeed it is cat and dog fighting. And, I suppose it is a moderator's job to monitor that.

Barring that, and other constructive comments we might make, I don't think any "tut-tut's" and holier than thou wagging fingers from the sidelines helps.
Good Citizen Carl
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote: You are answering like DH suggested, asking "what is the meaning of my life" - which can be assigned.
Well, I have to admit I tuned out of this thread for a bit when a couple of people began arguing my point for me---and doing well, I thought---so, in my lax attention, I must have missed whatever DH (who?) said.
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote: Leah - How are you defining "meaning" here?
I'd go with "purpose," or perhaps just a feeling or sense of purpose; they might be the same thing. The awareness of mortality (humanity's number one weakness, ironically due to awareness and self-awareness) inevitably demands some questions. [If we're going to die anyway, what purpose is there to anything we do? If every living thing dies, what is the point of being alive rather than not being alive---being non-living?]

If we lived only twenty or thirty years, we'd really have no time to stop and think about why we're here, what meaning is there for our lives or all life itself. We'd just be getting on it with living it. Without awareness of mortality, the notion would never occur to us and we'd simply get on with it.

The sense of accomplishment or purpose gathered from each day, doing something constructive or destructive (carrying out tasks that don't frustrate or annoy or vex one so completely that the will must necessarily steer the intellect to ask why) staying alive, helping others stay alive, et cetera, or whatever, would negate the need for seeking a reason or point...

Personally, I see no reason for Life itself; its "purpose" is to eat, drink, respirate, sleep, defecate, procreate, yadda yadda, but that's more function than meaning, and it doesn't answer the question, "Why Life?" Individually, we make up our own meaning or purpose at some point.

Maybe the question should be: Why ask why?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Bryan McGilly wrote:There were only you two women fighting, hence you ladies. It's a figure of speech, get over it. Now you're acting the drama queen.
You were right to say that. Men would not fight like that. Even if it was two blokes it would be two ladies fighting. I've read Kevin and David's work, and they are spot on. Weininger too. Stereotypes wouldn't exist if they were not true.

Elizabeth,

As soon as Pye asked you a rhetorical question about yoursef, you couldn't wait to answer. Just like a woman, you couldn't wait to talk about yourself. David either in that balance thread. As soon as Aaron asked him for some advice on how to screw the system, David couldn't wait to tell the world all about himsef. He even posted his mental records. At least David admits he's mostly woman and you can't even admit it because you are a woman. David can admit it because he is a man woman, and you are just a woman woman. Come on Elizabeth, admit it, you're a woman. Katy is a woman too, but at least she is a brunette. You must be a blonde to not see that she was just pointing out what a big ego you have. It looks like Katy is a theater woman, and actresses are not usually very bright, but being a brunette probably makes up for it.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Elizabeth,
DQ: So what do you mean by eliminating the ego, then? What is this ego that you have eliminated?

Elizabeth: There are many parts to the ego:

Control: This part of the ego also emerges at the infant stage, and is the delusion that what the individual does has great cause on the world. This delusion grows when every time an infant cries, a parent shows up. The infant is mis-learning cause and effect here because it can not differentiate between what it is actually causing and what a parent is allowing it to prompt. If this is left unchecked, this part of the individual’s ego grows the delusion that they have more control over their environment, and the environment of others, than they do. If this part of the ego is eliminated, the individual has a realistic concept of what his or her actual abilities to cause various effects are.

Inherent Self Worth: Toddlers naturally have a feeling that they are somehow important just because they are them. They will interrupt their mothers no matter who the mother is talking to and demand her attention, often just because they want attention. If this is left unchecked, as the toddler ages, this part of the ego feeds delusional self-importance. If this part of the ego is eliminated, a person recognizes and accepts that the world does not really care about that individual.

Correctness/Shame: This is the most dangerous part of the ego in terms of what would keep one from becoming wise; paradoxically it is the driving force to become wise – so it should be the last part of the ego to be eliminated. It is also the last part of the ego to develop. It may even be a part of the ego that is imposed on the individual by others – particularly by punitive parents, teachers, and other children – by shaming the individual for not being right. This part of the ego drives one to want to never be wrong (which can set them on the path to the realization of Ultimate Reality). Small children are more okay with being wrong than older children, which is how they are more easily taught new things. This was particularly evident with the advance of computers, as people noticed that children caught on more quickly than adults – and it was discovered that adults are more afraid to make mistakes which inhibited their experimentation and direct contact time with the computers.

This aspect of the ego also poses a barrier to being truthful because people do not want others to know about their errors and shortcomings. This could cause a person to become deceitful.

When this aspect of the ego is eliminated, one becomes free as a small child to learn, to discard old opinions when new evidence indicates that another view is more likely to be closer to reality. It is important to note the difference between being as free to learn as a small child and being childlike because it takes a mature strength of character to permanently eliminate shame. With the elimination of shame, the person also becomes able to speak truths that are unpopular or for whatever reason difficult for others to believe (or predictably so).

What you are talking about here are certain superficial aspects of ego, which is different from addressing the very core of the ego itself.

A person who decides to lead a submissive and passive existence, for example, can succeed in eliminating all the traits you list above without making even the slightest dint in their ego. They abandon their more individualistic ideas of entitlement, control, etc, and become so inert and unassertive that they might as well be dead. And yet the reason they are hiding away in this inertness is because of an egotistical fear of the world. Their passiveness and submissiveness is still a form of egotism.

-
Emanresu

Post by Emanresu »

Before any conclusions are made pertaining to the "Meaning of Life," we should define what life is. When I say life, I mean life. "Life" is comprised of plants, animals, fungi, etc. combined. If there is a meaning to life, then it would be found by observing similar characteristics of different types of life. So what makes plants, animals, etc. similar? Not that much really, besides molecular composition, and other similarities that can be shared by non-living materials as well. So you see? The "Meaning of Life" really means the "Meaning of Humanity" or (for animal freaks) the "Meaning of Animals." Rarely will people engage in a philosophical discussion about the "Meaning of Bacteria." Though many people respect nature as a whole and realize the importance of even the smallest lifeforms, when people discuss the "Meaning of Life," they really mean to say (as I have said before--don't worry--I am getting to my point soon) the "Meaning of Humanity."

Now what is the reasoning for this? Why do we as humans explore why we are special? Because we need to feel that there is something that separates us from the rest of the Universe. Something that makes us "special." Even though higher cognitive functioning does make us special, it isn't really enough (this is because other animals can think as well, though not as powerful as we can). We as humans need something that makes us feel that we are not just smart animals, but the work of gods. This psychologically gives us a sense of security and makes us feel as if we are "entitled" to the earth/universe.

The sad truth of it all is that we are not different from non-living creatures. Our brains are just complex systems of cells and our thoughts are just neuron signals in the brain. Since we are just as special compared to the rest of the universe as the rest of the universe is compared to us, there can logically be no "Meaning of Life." Maybe there is the "Meaning of the Universe," but there is no meaning of life.