Thread recovery

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Greg Pike

Thread recovery

Post by Greg Pike »

I'm assuming by all the lost threads that ezboard still didn't make any progress with recovering them.

Is it going to stay this way or did anyone hear anything different?

Greg

Leyla Shen

Re: Thread recovery

Post by Leyla Shen »

For all the latest, one should frequent The Brothel, Greg.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

It looks like they're permanently gone. The only thread saved was the "Quality Posts" thread, which I'll repost soon.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ezboard hasn't quite completed the restoration process and is only giving generic replies to individual board queries. However, at this point I think we can almost safely assume we will be one of the (many?) boards that will not get any data back.

Fortunately, all the best material from the forum, other than the last few months - which haven't been that crash hot anyway - are replicated in Genius News.

So, I'm not personally all that concerned.

Dan Rowden
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

Fortunately, all the best material from the forum, other than the last few months - which haven't been that crash hot anyway - are replicated in Genius News.

No. There have been many insights presented here that philosophically extend above the material provided in GN, although the ratio of good stuff versus crap is much lower than I presume occurred back then. Some of the stuff in GN is not as advanced as you think.

If you wish to be a cunt and completely belittle the minds of members who have been here since the last GN edition back in 2002, then go ahead! Who knows it might make them feel less self assured, which is not such a bad thing, I guess [however, the occassional little expression of recognition of philosophical progress, from someone professing to be enlightened can go a long way in inducing further interest].
Greg Pike

Post by Greg Pike »

Leyla Shen wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr>For all the latest, one should frequent The Brothel, Greg.<hr>

I discovered this after I had started the thread. It was started rather impromptu and I guess I didn't get around to the Brothel beforehand. Apologies.

Dan wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr>Fortunately, all the best material from the forum, other than the last few months - which haven't been that crash hot anyway - are replicated in Genius News.<hr>

Yes, absolutely. I guess I was just curious to see what was happening with ezboard. You would think that they would have backups for such occasions.

Greg

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ezboard does backup Gold status boards, of which we are one, but that was hacked too, which is why some are speculating about an "inside" job.

Jim wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr> If you wish to be a cunt and completely belittle the minds of members who have been here since the last GN edition back in 2002, then go ahead!<hr>

I hope you're not speaking for yourself here, Jim. I've seen precisely Jack development in you since I've known you. But, yes, there has been some spats of moderately interesting stuff but nothing that would motivate me to produce a new edition of Genius News.

Personally I've lost interest in the forum and this may well be my last post.

Dan Rowden
Naturyl

Post by Naturyl »

That's too bad, Dan. I consider your posts to among the best offered here. Ah well, I'm not one to talk - I've been losing interest for a long time, and I now post rarely. I got locked out of my own board by a profile error about a month back, and I didn't even care.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I can well understand Dan's loss of interest in writing here.

Swell place for a number of years but life itself has a lot more to offer. I am entirely interested in the fauna and flora of the jungle here.

I saw a dead fox on the jungle road to work this morning. Interesting specimen. I got out of my car and inspected it. Lovely creature but its throat was smashed.

I only write here when I am thoroughly bored.

Faizi
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

What does interest you Dan?
I'm curious

For a person that claims to be a fulltime sage your output is pathetic.

From being here, what I do realise is that enlightenment is not a possibility for anyone. I certainly do not regard any of the QRS as enlightened, nor do I regard enlightenment as having any more worthfulness than any other form of existence. They are merely practioners of a set of rules that apply to the way one interacts with the universe. In other words no different than anyone else.

So sure don't post again. No loss.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Jimhaz wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr>They are merely practioners of a set of rules that apply to the way one interacts with the universe.<hr> This is infinitely wide of the mark. Psychologically speaking, enlightened people do not follow any rules, for the simple reason that they do not bow down to the authority of others.

You're probably thinking of monks and other similar religious practioners.
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

Psychologically speaking, enlightened people do not follow any rules, for the simple reason that they do not bow down to the authority of others.

No, you have the rule of truth, whatever that might be at the time of recognition. Your assurance of the things that make you react is never absolute. Truth does not exist, nor does any knowledge of the future, therefore everything perceived or consciously thought about is as worthy as anything else, including insanity, or the lack of one's attempts to know reality.

Physically speaking we all totally controlled by rules of physical competition. Therefore our consciousness is no exception. So yes, David you do follow rules.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Jimhaz,

Quote:Quote:<hr> DQ: Psychologically speaking, enlightened people do not follow any rules, for the simple reason that they do not bow down to the authority of others.

JH: No, you have the rule of truth, whatever that might be at the time of recognition. <hr> Not really. The enlightened person is beyond all dualities, including that of truth and falseness.

Quote:Quote:<hr>Your assurance of the things that make you react is never absolute. Truth does not exist, nor does any knowledge of the future, therefore everything perceived or consciously thought about is as worthy as anything else, including insanity, or the lack of one's attempts to know reality.<hr> None of it is intrinsically worthy, I grant you. But still, there is a world of difference between the ordinary person who projects all sorts of imagined existences and fears onto his experiences, and the sage who doesn't.

Quote:Quote:<hr>Physically speaking we all totally controlled by rules of physical competition. Therefore our consciousness is no exception. <hr> That is a case of responding intelligently to a situation, which is different to submissively following a contrived set of rules.

DHodges

Post by DHodges »

Quote:Quote:<hr>The enlightened person is beyond all dualities, including that of truth and falseness.<hr>
Thanks for that thought, David. I will meditate on it today.

There is still some value in this forum.