What kind of a genius are you?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Elizabeth Isabelle

What kind of a genius are you?

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Alright, it had been a long time since I had my IQ tested - 4th grade actually. I'd tested in the 99th percentile on a few sections of the standardized test they gave at the end of the 3rd grade, and I did close to that well on most of the rest of it (my mother had convinced the teachers that I was probably retarded. I still remember Ms. White actually pulling at the hair of her bangs and asking me who I copied off of, then saying that i couldn't have copied off anyone because no one else scored that high).

Anyway, I did one of those online IQ tests - okay, not nearly as accurate as the WAIS, but this was just to take a look. My mother told me that my WISC was 150, but I never actually saw the results. My IQ seems to have dropped a little (I'll admit to doing some things in my teens and 20's that probly dropped my IQ a bit...) but the score that came back was 146.

Here's the link for proof:
(((((edited out the link because somebody hacked in and changed the scores to retardation level. Very funny. Did you do that because of me personally, or because I am female?)))))

So what IQs do you have?

-

Last edited by Elizabeth Isabelle on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Unfortunately IQ doesn't coincide with sense, rationality, real-life intelligence, or wisdom.
Last edited by Kevin Solway on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Agreed. IQ is largely irrelevant when it comes to genius. It is barely more relevant that, say, cranium size, or the amount of academic qualifications one might have.

Genius is a function of courage and of knowing how to apply one's intellect wisely. Raw intellect isn't enough. Often the stupidist people on the planet are those with high IQ.

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

Often the stupidist people on the planet are those with high IQ.
Very true.
Unfortunately IQ doesn't coincide with sense, rationality, real-life intelligence, or wisdom.
No, but it gives those things a good running start.

Maybe I'm lost - I thought I was posting on "Genius Forums" and the last time I looked, a genius was supposedly someone with a high IQ...

I agree that having an IQ and using it are totally different things.

DQ - Thank you for editing my link - that does look nicer.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

I thought I was posting on "Genius Forums" and the last time I looked, a genius was supposedly someone with a high IQ...
That's only one of many different definitions of genius.

Have a look at the following page for an idea of the kind of genius we discuss on this forum:

Quotations on Genius
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

That's a great page...you should put a link to that up there at the top.
Elizabeth Isabelle

I really liked that page; thank you for directing me there.

David - here's one that made me think of you:
Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.

Wolfgang A. Mozart
Here are some that reminded me of part of a discussion in one of my classes in mental health counseling:
There is in every madman a misunderstood genius whose idea, shining in his head, frightened people, and for whom delirium was the only solution to the strangulation that life had prepared for him.

Antonin Artaud, of Van Gogh

Oh! how near are genius and madness! Men imprison them and chain them, or raise statues to them.

Denis Diderot

There was never a genius without a tincture of madness.

Aristotle

It is frequently the tragedy of the great artist, as it is of the great scientist, that he frightens the ordinary man. If he is more than a popular story-teller it may take humanity a generation to absorb and grow accustomed to the new geography with which the scientist or artist presents us. Even then, perhaps only the more imaginative and literate may accept him. Subconsciously the genius is feared as an image breaker; frequently he does not accept the opinions of the mass, or man's opinion of himself.

Loren Eiseley, in "The Mind as Nature"

The world is always ready to receive talent with open arms. Very often it does not know what to do with genius.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
I was describing some of the problems that are associated with having a high IQ when the instructor reminded me "But Elizabeth, 'genius' is not a mental illness." lol

Okay, maybe I'm an "uncommon" genius:
Women of genius commonly have masculine faces, figures and manners. In transplanting brains to an alien soil God leaves a little of the original earth clinging to the roots.

Ambrose Bierce
not quite.(((((edited out dead link)))))
I don't think I look too masculine...

David - would you teach me how to post that correctly? Would you also please teach me how to put the links in nicely like you did in my above post? (edited - Thank you David)
The genius differs from us men in being able to endure isolation, his rank as a genius is proportionate to his strength for enduring isolation, whereas we men are constantly in need of "the others," the herd; we die, or despair, if we are not reassured by being in the herd, of the same opinion as the herd.,

Kierkegaard
I think that the ability to endure isolation comes as a necessary lesson of being chronically misunderstood.
He is a man of capacity who possesses considerable intellectual riches: while he is a man of genius who finds out a vein of new ore. Originality is the seeing nature differently from others, and yet as it is in itself. It is not singularity or affectation, but the discovery of new and valuable truth. All the world do not see the whole meaning of any object they have been looking at. Habit blinds them to some things: shortsightedness to others. Every mind is not a gauge and measure of truth. Nature has her surface and her dark recesses. She is deep, obscure, and infinite. It is only minds on whom she makes her fullest impressions that can penetrate her shrine or unveil her Holy of Holies. It is only those whom she has filled with her spirit that have the boldness or the power to reveal her mysteries to others.

William Hazlitt
It either takes courage or insanity because revealing the mysteries often gets the genius into quite a bit of trouble. It can become a cycle of seeing more truth, getting in trouble from revealing the truth, figuring out how to get out of trouble (which increases awareness of truth which demands it be told), leading to a whole new puzzle.

Good page. Thank you again.
Last edited by Elizabeth Isabelle on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Elizabeth,
David - here's one that made me think of you:

Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.

Wolfgang A. Mozart
Because of Mozart?

We can't take this aphorism too literally because if we want to say that erotic love, or filial love, is the soul of genius, then we would have to conclude that our glorious earth is chocka-block full of geniuses. For it to mean anything, it would have to be love of truth.

But then again, I don't think Mozart had that in mind either.

mg]http://www.worldpeaceonline.net/wst_page4.html[/img]
I don't think I look too masculine...

David - would you teach me how to post that correctly? Would you also please teach me how to put the links in nicely like you did in my above post?
Try typing in:

[url=http://www.worldpeaceonline.net/wst_page4.html]World Peace[/url

I left off the last square bracket in order to show you how it's done. So don't forget to put that in.

The buttons in the reply section will also give you this kind of information.

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

(deleted picture in compliance with board regulations - EI)
Okay, I got it now. Thank you David.
Shardrol

Post by Shardrol »

I once found an online IQ test that seemed to have a lot of questions, pages after pages. I answered them for a while then eventually got tired of it & gave up -- at which point the website informed me of my IQ, which was pretty low. It seems that the longer it took you to realize that the test would never end, the dumber you were. I thought it was funny.
Pye

Post by Pye »

To be perfectly, perhaps even effectively crude, I once long ago knew a man with an 8.5 inch penis (erect) of which he was very proud, but he was not, in any way, good in bed . . . .

Crude again, this quote from an old Maria Muldaur song: It ain't the meat; it's the m-o-t-i-o-n . . . .

I'm sure by now you get the analogy, dear measurers.

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

lol.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

David: Agreed. IQ is largely irrelevant when it comes to genius. It is barely more relevant that, say, cranium size, or the amount of academic qualifications one might have.
I think your point is slightly wrong, naturally :).

A higher IQ increases the likelihood of genius, so I wouldn't call it largely irrelevant. You can teach a herd conformist with a high IQ to think as an individual, even if you have to crack through the shell that a high IQ emotionally forces upon most many of them when young.

Most with lower than average IQ's learn by rote, you'd have buckleys trying to teach them reality. There might be an odd one who would succeed if they have had the right set of experiences so that their brain is capable of focusing on truth, most normally formed brains certainly have enough capacity. I would suggest however that in the process of learning reality their IQ would evolve to a higher level.

Genius is a function of courage and of knowing how to apply one's intellect wisely. Raw intellect isn't enough.

I would say philosophical courage is an affect of a questioning nature, a nature often caused by an intelligent brain or emotional turmoil that results in reflections about what is real. Non-philosophical courage is mostly herd behaviour, with testosterone.

Often the stupidist people on the planet are those with high IQ.

Not if averaged out. Sure most are stupid in the sense that they have more potential skills to know better, but don't. Mind you I kind of agree, the stream of data flowing through a high IQ brain can become too much to organise and classify, and they end up developing a taste for convenient but false objectivity anchors to direct the traffic more efficiently.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Shardrol wrote:It seems that the longer it took you to realize that the test would never end, the dumber you were.
Actually, I did that one. You were supposed to complete all the questions in ten minutes.

;-)
Elizabeth Isabelle

Pye wrote on 9/20/06:
Crude again, this quote from an old Maria Muldaur song: It ain't the meat; it's the m-o-t-i-o-n . . . .

I wrote on 9/8/06:
I agree that having an IQ and using it are totally different things.
Okay Pye, I guess some members ;-) of this board have to understand the concept with their smaller heads...
Pye

Post by Pye »

:) Elizabeth.

A prior teacher once told me three seemingly depthless things about teaching -- even at collegiate level -- upon learning I was going to do the same: 1. Deliver your most important message in either the first 5 minutes or the last 5 minutes of the period. 2. Attention spans come in 45 minute increments; it is the length of time most people can remain focused before they have to shift, wander, and refocus again, and 3. Be prepared to repeat yourself thrice. It will take three paraphrases of the same thing before you can be the least assured that everyone is getting it.

All three of these seemingly depthless things have proven fully accurate in my own experience.

brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Pye wrote
To be perfectly, perhaps even effectively crude, I once long ago knew a man with an 8.5 inch penis (erect) of which he was very proud, but he was not, in any way, good in bed . . . .

it's not the size of the pen that matters, it's the way you write your name
Tomas

Re:

Post by Tomas »

Faust wrote:My IQ is at present 138, granted not at genius level '142' parse, but I am an intellectual and polymath. Hail!

No too shabby :-)

Tomas

Imadrongo

Re: What kind of a genius are you?

Post by Imadrongo »

I did that, but I'm not paying 10$ to see the results of an internet IQ test.
ChaoticMelody

Post by ChaoticMelody »

Next time you waste money on an IQ test... Make sure it's a Mensa certified test. That way we can all compare our results more effeciently.

But 146, Good score. You are in the "Genius" catagory.

This shows that you are just a Genius of logic and not a true genius.
Make no mistake.... There is a difference.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

[quote="Elizabeth Isabelle"]Alright, it had been a long time since I had my IQ tested - 4th grade actually. I'd tested in the 99th percentile on a few sections of the standardized test they gave at the end of the 3rd grade, and I did close to that well on most of the rest of it (my mother had convinced the teachers that I was probably retarded. I still remember Ms. White actually pulling at the hair of her bangs and asking me who I copied off of, then saying that i couldn't have copied off anyone because no one else scored that high).

Anyway, I did one of those online IQ tests - okay, not nearly as accurate as the WAIS, but this was just to take a look. My mother told me that my WISC was 150, but I never actually saw the results. My IQ seems to have dropped a little (I'll admit to doing some things in my teens and 20's that probly dropped my IQ a bit...) but the score that came back was 146.

Here's the link for proof:
IQ test report

So what IQs do you have?

-

Well, Elizabeth, mine came back at 145 -

Furthermore, i didn't know there was cheating at that grade level , my brain (the way i was wired) just didn't go there. Never thought about life in such a deceiving way, dumb farmboy.

When we moved to the 'big city' (pop. 35,000) well, that's was a different story altogether :-|

Pilgrims Progress ??

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Are we supposed to take the test in the link and post the results here? I mean, will people really be impressed? Will you respect me more if I show proof that my IQ is over 140?

I didn't think so.

jlj000jlj

Post by jlj000jlj »

yep,

IQ is one way non-genius conceives genius.

I'm not a kind of genius who sorts genius into kinds.

kind of, sort of,

JLJ
ChaoticMelody

Post by ChaoticMelody »

IQ does not denote genius.

A compination of Logic, Creativity and understanding of existance creates a genius.
JustinZijlstra

Post by JustinZijlstra »

At the range of about above 125 IQ way below precise.

http://www.epiqsociety.org/get/

Here a test where one out of 5 from mensa scores one point:
http://www.etienne.nu/cfnse

BTW: I love the tests here: http://webs.ono.com/axisz/

The above are still being normed. However this is not significant.

I do not do it in a hurry. Once every while I enjoy doing a question or two.

Keeps things to a lot of fun.

Here: http://tetra.generiq.net/admission.html some tests as well

Need to pay for most of those however.

Be well!

Justin