Jesus and Christianity

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Jesus and Christianity

Post by David Quinn »

This is an offshoot of the "Hezbollah and Israel" thread in Worldly Matters, which features Beingof1 and myself.

This is what occured in that thread:
David Quinn: I'm still wondering why so many people on this thread are getting heated by what is essentially the activity of insects.

If we are going to get all passionate about what is currently happening in the Middle East. why aren't we also being as passionate about, say, the political intrigue which occurred in the Boer War, or in the murder of Augustus Caesar in Ancient Rome, or indeed in the local anthill?

Beingof1: You post this thought, which is filled with wisdom, then you follow with this emotional based sweeping blanket statement:

No, a wise Christian teacher cannot possibly exist, for essentially the same reason - because, like Islam, the Christian religion is a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging.

What lies? The records and eyewitness accounts are as valid as one can find anywhere in history. You might be refering to the ludicrous interpretations and varying doctrines, that does not invalidate the texts themselves.

I can tell you right now, you cannot disprove in regard to the records, there is overwhelming proof of the texts. I have spent decades in study and tried my very best to disprove the records. You might think this is just irrational chest beating, I am telling you, after decades of objective study, the records are as ironclad as one can possibly find.

You might want to check the Nag Hammadi records first. Fifty books, with brand new authors that have not been read for almost two thousand years and they all concur with the New Testament records. Books that have just been translated in the last twenty years. Books that have not been seen or read or even knew existed - and they all, everyone, validate the eyewitness accounts. They even quote the same identical statements.

David Quinn: They may well be valid historical records, but I don't really care either way. What matters is whether or not wisdom is being directly expressed in the words in the here and now. The origins of the words are unimportant, unless your only interest is finding somebody to hero-worship.

In my opinion, around 15%-20% of the Gospels expresses wisdom (a compilation of which can be found here). The rest is rubbish.

The Christian religion, in all of its various forms, is a pack of lies because it steadfastly ignores the wisdom in the Gospels and focuses solely upon the rubbish.

Or as a prescient Jesus himself once said, "The stone the builder rejected has become the cornerstone". From the very beginnings of its emergence, Christianity has always been built out of the values and concepts that Jesus (and other wise men) reject.

For example, Jesus expressly rejected the idea of marriage and stressed that no one who valued Truth would ever consider getting married. Yet not only do ministers and priest around the world completely ignore this, but they happily earn their income presiding over weddings and giving married couples their blessing! All done in the name of Jesus too!

Talk about kicking Jesus in the balls and stomping on his face.
The following is Beingof1's recent response to this:

--

David:
What matters is whether or not wisdom is being directly expressed in the words in the here and now. The origins of the words are unimportant, unless your only interest is finding somebody to hero-worship.
Or dissing heros, that way you can be antihero worshipper.

What is your opinion of Siddharta?

You said "the Christian religion is a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging." - that is a blanket statement.

I could say "the Buddhist teachings are a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging." - that would only show my lack of knowledge and railing against God knows what.

In my opinion, around 15%-20% of the Gospels expresses wisdom (a compilation of which can be found here). The rest is rubbish.
That is your opinion indeed. Your teaching is far above most all Christian ministers David, it is not, in any way, superior to the teachings of Jesus. This is, in essence, what you are saying and it is just a lack of understanding on your part.

Everyone seems to know more and be smarter than Jesus these days - what an amazing phenomenon. Its like a Christian who 'knows' more than the Buddha - funny that.

My opinion is that you should ask me what the 'rubbish' means so that you could clarify your understanding. More than likely this 'rubbish' part is Jesus dealing with the ignorance of his listeners but that takes study and dedication rather than just blanket comparisons of knee jerk reaction.

Go ahead - hit me with your best shot of this 'rubbish'.

The Christian religion, in all of its various forms, is a pack of lies because it steadfastly ignores the wisdom in the Gospels and focuses solely upon the rubbish.
And Buddhism doesn`t do that eh?

They keep the limb of the tree alive and replant this limb that Gautama sat under to regrow the tree, real wisdom springing up from Buddhism.

I have relatives that are Vietnamese Buddhists and I can assure you that ignorance is not limited to your standards.

Have you seen the videos of Buddhist monks fistfighting? It is a real eye opener.

There is no superior form - that is a myth and delusion. It is in individuals that wisdom is found regardless the 'form'.

Or as a prescient Jesus himself once said, "The stone the builder rejected has become the cornerstone". From the very beginnings of its emergence, Christianity has always been built out of the values and concepts that Jesus (and other wise men) reject.
And so has Buddhism, Hinduism, and all Monotheistic religions.

The double standard approach has never worked and will never work - in fact its why the recent war was fought.

If you think there is a superior form than Christianity, lets hear it.

David, you must rise above all forms and be that which transcends all ignorance not participate in line drawing. You are contributing to being part of the problem instead of the solution.

I could say "all those that practice the teachings of the Buddha are deluded" - that does not make any contribution to anything and yet if you are practicing his teachings - you still do not get it. If you truly 'get' the teachings of the Buddha, you no longer need his teachings.

For example, Jesus expressly rejected the idea of marriage and stressed that no one who valued Truth would ever consider getting married. Yet not only do ministers and priest around the world completely ignore this, but they happily earn their income presiding over weddings and giving married couples their blessing! All done in the name of Jesus too!

I am celibate as you well know so you are preaching to the choir. I have no wife or children.

Jesus did not expressly reject the idea of marriage, you might be refering to these passages:
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Whoever does not hate his Father & Mother as I do cannot become a disciple to me. And whoever cannot love his Father & His Mother as I do cannot become a disciple to me. For my mother gave me falsehood, but my true mother gave me Life.
To make the assumption he was antimarriage is to not understand what he was saying at all.

You also must disregard his statements here:
It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
And here:
The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
It takes as much time to understand the teachings of Jesus as it does the Buddha not just a wave of the hand dismissal.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

And now for my response:

-

Beingof1 wrote:
DQ: What matters is whether or not wisdom is being directly expressed in the words in the here and now. The origins of the words are unimportant, unless your only interest is finding somebody to hero-worship.

Bo1: Or dissing heros, that way you can be antihero worshipper.

Or even better, do away with worshipping people altogether and simply follow the truth.

Challenging the beliefs and texts which have been handed down to us, learning how to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, rejecting everything that is mediocre, false and speculative, etc, is all part of the process of becoming truthful and wise.

What is your opinion of Siddharta?
He's in a similar boat to Jesus. There is some wisdom in there, but it is largely buried under an avalanche of mediocrity and herdly dogma shovelled into it by later followers. It takes a good deal of skill and insight to extract the wisdom from all of this.

Needless to say, most Buddhists zero in on the mediocre, herdly stuff (e.g. the ritials, commands, precepts, guru-worship, etc) and completely ignore the wisdom, just as Christians do with Jesus's teachings. Buddhism, as a whole, might be a little more intellectual and grounded than Christianity, but the same intense hatred of truth underpins them both.

You said "the Christian religion is a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging." - that is a blanket statement.

I could say "the Buddhist teachings are a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging." - that would only show my lack of knowledge and railing against God knows what.
It's not a blanket statement, because I have separated out the wise parts of Christianity - for example, the wise passages in the Gospels, Soreen Kierkegaard's material, some of the sermons of Meister Eckhart, etc. So it hasn't been a wholesale dismissal. Far from it.

DQ: In my opinion, around 15%-20% of the Gospels expresses wisdom (a compilation of which can be found here). The rest is rubbish.

Bo1: That is your opinion indeed. Your teaching is far above most all Christian ministers David, it is not, in any way, superior to the teachings of Jesus. This is, in essence, what you are saying and it is just a lack of understanding on your part.

Well, we certainly can't have that. We can't have people going beyond Jesus and become even better spiritual thinkers and teachers than he was. That is unthinkable.

Funnily enough, Jesus was roundly condemned in his own time for claiming that he was superior to Abraham. They used to throw stones at him for such impertinence.

Everyone seems to know more and be smarter than Jesus these days - what an amazing phenomenon.

I am infinitely superior to the Jesus which is depicted in Christianity, just as I am infinitely superior to Spiderman and The Phantom.

My opinion is that you should ask me what the 'rubbish' means so that you could clarify your understanding. More than likely this 'rubbish' part is Jesus dealing with the ignorance of his listeners but that takes study and dedication rather than just blanket comparisons of knee jerk reaction.

Go ahead - hit me with your best shot of this 'rubbish'.
Well, let's take one of the quotes you posted:
It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
What connection does this have to wisdom? How does it inspire people to break through into ultimate understanding and lead a life of truth?

Perhaps you have different slant on it, but from my perspective, it is just a piece of herdly bullying, probably penned by bureaucratic officials, trying to enforce social order.

DQ: For example, Jesus expressly rejected the idea of marriage and stressed that no one who valued Truth would ever consider getting married. Yet not only do ministers and priest around the world completely ignore this, but they happily earn their income presiding over weddings and giving married couples their blessing! All done in the name of Jesus too!

Bo1: I am celibate as you well know so you are preaching to the choir. I have no wife or children.

Jesus did not expressly reject the idea of marriage, you might be refering to these passages:

-

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

-

Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

-

Whoever does not hate his Father & Mother as I do cannot become a disciple to me. And whoever cannot love his Father & His Mother as I do cannot become a disciple to me. For my mother gave me falsehood, but my true mother gave me Life.
Yes, and also to these passages as well:
You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. Matthew 22: 29

--

When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. Mark 12: 25

--

"The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. Luke 20: 34

--

"Many are standing at the door, but it is the solitary who will enter the bridal chamber." Thomas: 75

--

As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. Matthew 24: 37

--

"Wretched is the body that is dependant upon a body, & wretched is the soul that is dependant on these two." Thomas: 87

--

"Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find the Kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return." Thomas: 49

--

Everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. Matthew 19: 29
I think he makes his position on this matter pretty clear

--
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

DQ wrote,
I am infinitely superior to the Jesus which is depicted in Christianity, just as I am infinitely superior to Spiderman and The Phantom.
Who do you think you are, The Beatles? :P

You better hope to God Spidey didn't hear you say that.
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

I think all those people suffered from lisps, or would that be lithpth? That or they just couldn't speak English properly.

Can you imagine Jesus ordering Three Sausage HotDogs with Sauerkraut? It would be raining Holy Spittle.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me . . .
That translation is so poor. At least I presume it is the translation at fault.

Imagine a person who loves his mother, or his son, just as much as he loves God. What kind of a spiritual man would he be? A horribly crippled one, that's for sure. His mother's needs would pull upon him just as much as those of God.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Yes, it directly conflicts with another assertion by Jesus that, "No one can serve two masters; either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other".

-
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

DavidQuinn:
DQ: What matters is whether or not wisdom is being directly expressed in the words in the here and now. The origins of the words are unimportant, unless your only interest is finding somebody to hero-worship.

Bo1: Or dissing heros, that way you can be antihero worshipper.

DQ: Or even better, do away with worshipping people altogether and simply follow the truth.
Yes, and this was expressly taught by Jesus, so what is the problem with his teachings again?

You see David, this is the whole issue in a nutshell, you seem to attribute the teachings of Jesus to Christiandom and that; is the blind leading the blind.
Challenging the beliefs and texts which have been handed down to us, learning how to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, rejecting everything that is mediocre, false and speculative, etc, is all part of the process of becoming truthful and wise.
Exactly; I have already done this with the teachings of Jesus and very, very few have I ever met who have also.
Bo1: What is your opinion of Siddharta?

David: He's in a similar boat to Jesus. There is some wisdom in there, but it is largely buried under an avalanche of mediocrity and herdly dogma shovelled into it by later followers. It takes a good deal of skill and insight to extract the wisdom from all of this.
And yet, Christianity is drilled beyond the pale here and rarely does anyone say anything like what you said above - you know that is true.

Occasionaly you say something akin to what you said above but the reality is the mantra here is "Christianty" is the problem.

Do we really have to go back and check all the posts?
You know in your own mind what I said was the truth.

Try reading the Sermon on the Mount - Mathew chptrs. 5-7 and then tell me if you can glean any wisdom from the poor pathetic Christians and what Jesus said.
Needless to say, most Buddhists zero in on the mediocre, herdly stuff (e.g. the ritials, commands, precepts, guru-worship, etc) and completely ignore the wisdom, just as Christians do with Jesus's teachings.
And yet - none say a word about that, you being the notable exception. You can read something here every week about the ignorant, nonsensical Christians. I challenge you to find a week where this is done with Buddhism - blatant double standards and what is more - you know it.
Buddhism, as a whole, might be a little more intellectual and grounded than Christianity, but the same intense hatred of truth underpins them both.
That is besause the Buddha focused on the mind and Jesus focused on the will or heart. They are both speaking from wise transcendant thought, they compliment each other.

Furthermore; you never, ever at any time find a true sage dissing another - you think that is wisdom? To be dissing sages that can assist humanity out from its bondage?

You need to rethink your position.

Buddha was not antiKrishna or antiHindu and neither was Jesus.
Bo1: You said "the Christian religion is a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging." - that is a blanket statement.

David: It's not a blanket statement, because I have separated out the wise parts of Christianity - for example, the wise passages in the Gospels, Soreen Kierkegaard's material, some of the sermons of Meister Eckhart, etc. So it hasn't been a wholesale dismissal. Far from it.
I did not say that - you did.

"the Christian religion is a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging."
-- David Quinn

BTW - check into Jacob Boehma who is on par mith the Meister Eckhart.
DQ: In my opinion, around 15%-20% of the Gospels expresses wisdom (a compilation of which can be found here). The rest is rubbish.

Bo1: That is your opinion indeed. Your teaching is far above most all Christian ministers David, it is not, in any way, superior to the teachings of Jesus. This is, in essence, what you are saying and it is just a lack of understanding on your part.

David: Well, we certainly can't have that. We can't have people going beyond Jesus and become even better spiritual thinkers and teachers than he was. That is unthinkable.
That is not what I said.

Jesus hinself said that there would be others who would transcend his experience and wisdom.

If your teaching were superior to Jesus, you would not be dissing what he said - no sage in the history of mankind has ever done that.

You need to rethink what you are trying to accomplish.
Funnily enough, Jesus was roundly condemned in his own time for claiming that he was superior to Abraham. They used to throw stones at him for such impertinence.
Yup; and he backed it up right here:
Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Its not quite what you thought eh? When you understand the flawless wisdom, you understand what he was meaning.

It is not the petty ego bickering about who is the mostest and grandest.

He was talking about the everpresent unfolding reality that is.
Bo1: Everyone seems to know more and be smarter than Jesus these days - what an amazing phenomenon.

David: I am infinitely superior to the Jesus which is depicted in Christianity, just as I am infinitely superior to Spiderman and The Phantom.
I already said that; why no mention of Buddha? Funny how that always seems to happen.

How about this - my philosophy can kick the crap out of your philosophy.

Are we there yet?
-- Yeshua
What connection does this have to wisdom? How does it inspire people to break through into ultimate understanding and lead a life of truth?

Perhaps you have different slant on it, but from my perspective, it is just a piece of herdly bullying, probably penned by bureaucratic officials, trying to enforce social order.
Great example David.

You are attempting to take a statement of what was injustice at the time and apply it to modern society. It does not work like that.

What Jesus was addressing is the antiquated loophole in Jewish law. A women, at that time and in that country, could not divorce her husband for any reason. A man could divorce his wife at the drop of a hat (according to the interpretaion of the law). The law, reinterpreted by selfish men, reduced a women to a possesion and less than a human being.

Jesus was addressing their pride and selfishness and the rampant abuse of men bartering their women. It was antihuman behaviour that was the issue.

His point was - women are human beings to.

You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. Matthew 22: 29
You cannot pull a single quote out of its context and understand.

This was the answer to this question:

"Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
And last of all the woman died also.
Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her."

He was quooting the book of Enoch. It was a trick question that the lawyers had planned to trap Jesus because of his stand that women are more than cattle.

When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. Mark 12: 25
Same conversation as above.

"The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. Luke 20: 34
Same conversation.

"Many are standing at the door, but it is the solitary who will enter the bridal chamber." Thomas: 75
That is true - the herd can never enter into marriage with what is transcendant, we must all enter for ourselves.
As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. Matthew 24: 37
Again - women as a material possesion and something rather than someone. Trading in a wife like a new car.

As if a new, younger wife will lead to wisdom.
"Wretched is the body that is dependant upon a body, & wretched is the soul that is dependant on these two." Thomas: 87
Lust, sensual desire, and trying to find fullfilment in another is delusion.
"Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find the Kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return." Thomas: 49
We cannot all go together, wisdom is in the individual not the society or form. The jewish people tend to think of themselves as a race not as individual seekers of truth.
Everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. Matthew 19: 29
I left all of these things to find the Kingdom, they are being returned in ways I could not imagine.

Tharan:
I think all those people suffered from lisps, or would that be lithpth? That or they just couldn't speak English properly.

Can you imagine Jesus ordering Three Sausage HotDogs with Sauerkraut? It would be raining Holy Spittle.
I can tell you have studied scripture, thanks for the contribution.

Kevin:
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me

That translation is so poor. At least I presume it is the translation at fault.

Imagine a person who loves his mother, or his son, just as much as he loves God. What kind of a spiritual man would he be? A horribly crippled one, that's for sure. His mother's needs would pull upon him just as much as those of God.

"Ho filon patera e metera huper eme ouk estinmou axios, kai ho filon huion e thugatera huper eme oukestin mou axios.

He who has an effection(phileo Gr. attachment or clinging) for father or mother above me that for me, is not worthy(apaugasma Gr. flash, enlightenment insight, revelation light) of me.

Indeed Kevin, English is pathetic for translations. It is where almost all misunderstandings are generated in the English language.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Jesus and Christianity

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Beingof1, we meet again...
Beingof1 wrote:What lies? The records and eyewitness accounts are as valid as one can find anywhere in history. You might be refering to the ludicrous interpretations and varying doctrines, that does not invalidate the texts themselves.

I can tell you right now, you cannot disprove in regard to the records, there is overwhelming proof of the texts. I have spent decades in study and tried my very best to disprove the records. You might think this is just irrational chest beating, I am telling you, after decades of objective study, the records are as ironclad as one can possibly find.
I think it's irrational what you're saying. Do you feel like exploring it a bit deeper? I don't regard myself as having studied the topic less than you. But amount of study is not the issue here: it's how well can you debate it, the amount of honesty we can put in to it, meaning lack of self-delusion.

Let me fire two questions in advance:

Which records do you consider to be "eyewitness accounts"? Name the most authorative ones in your opinion to show what you mean by this. And how did you derive their authority?

Do you have knowledge of a philosopher named Apollonius of Tyana, living in the same century as Jesus is claimed to have lived? The life of Apollonius is documented like I would expect it to be when a sage or teacher of noted influence is involved. This to give an example of the kind of descriptions I would expect to survive about some Christ figure, including even the miracles, as they are written about Apollonius too. And this is even a name that history almost forgot!
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Diebert van Rhijn:
I think it's irrational what you're saying.
Of course, that does not shock me in the least. It was anticipated as per our past conversations.
Do you feel like exploring it a bit deeper?
If you are up for it.
I don't regard myself as having studied the topic less than you. But amount of study is not the issue here: it's how well can you debate it, the amount of honesty we can put in to it, meaning lack of self-delusion.
I agree; my point was, how many do you know that have done that?
Which records do you consider to be "eyewitness accounts"? Name the most authorative ones in your opinion to show what you mean by this. And how did you derive their authority?
I concider all these as on equal footing.

Paul
John
Luke
Matthew
Mark
Peter
James
Jude
Thomas
Philip
Eugnostos
The author of "The Dialogue of the Saviour"
The letter to Rheginos
Silvanus
Author of "The Testimony of Truth"
Author of "The Interpretation of Knowledge"
Mary Magdelene
Not an eyewitness but quite revealing is "The Treatise on the Resurrection".

These records all agree on the testimony of the numerous named eyewitnesses as well as claiming eyewitness testimony themselves.

They agree on the smallest of details with thousands of crosschecks for multiple (name and address given) eyewitness testimony. You could talk with most of the eyewitnesses when the records were written.

Furthermore; we have unearthed and recently translated in the last twenty years confirming more eyewitness accounts of almost 50 books that have not been seen for almost two thousand years - guess what? - they all, everyone concure.

Same gang, you know, Peter, James, and the rest.

Do you have knowledge of a philosopher named Apollonius of Tyana,
Yes; I read two of his biographies in the eighties.

Pretty cool guy if you ask me.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Beingof1 wrote:You cannot pull a single quote out of its context and understand.
Ha! I just did.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Kelly Jones wrote:
Beingof1 wrote:You cannot pull a single quote out of its context and understand.
Ha! I just did.
Did what?
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Divided Being of 2 wrote:
What lies? The records and eyewitness accounts are as valid as one can find anywhere in history. You might be refering to the ludicrous interpretations and varying doctrines, that does not invalidate the texts themselves.

Being of 1, you seem to be incredibly emotionally involved to these writings, have you ever considered the possibility that because you have spent such a considerable amount of time studying these texts that you may have grown dangerously emotionally attached to them?

Have these texts become intertwined to your sense of identity?

They’re just some dusty old writings written in outdated English, let the entire thing be forgotten I say…

Jesus’s work is written in cryptic ambiguous parables that are riddled with words that can be misused, generalizations and emotion.

There are contemporary writers that are far superior to Jesus.

I don’t feel it is necessary to keep valuing such poor quality writings.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Beingof1 wrote: I consider all these as on equal footing.

Paul
Ah, I thought for a moment we were discussing eye-witnesses of Jesus the Man. Are you referring to Paul claiming having met such eye-witnesses? Or his visions? Anyway, the basic problem with naming Paul is your error of assuming accurate historicity of this figure. When you remove 1800+ years of writing about him by people who believed he was a reality, a servant of the divine, unquestioned, what is there really left?

Another one from your list
Luke
The gospel of Luke and the book of Acts is considered to be written anonymously by many researchers around for good reasons and was probably written after or around 100AD. And added to that Luke never claimed to be eyewitness! He claimed to have "carefully investigated" the stories.
These records all agree on the testimony of the numerous named eyewitnesses as well as claiming eyewitness testimony themselves.
Based on the two examples I addressed above I don't think you have understood yet what it means to name an eyewitness account.
They agree on the smallest of details with thousands of crosschecks for multiple (name and address given) eyewitness testimony. You could talk with most of the eyewitnesses when the records were written.
That is your opinion but I think the evidence and logic will show seriously lacking all the way. Perhaps you forget 1800+ years of faith based analysis could be in the way?
Furthermore; we have unearthed and recently translated in the last twenty years confirming more eyewitness accounts of almost 50 books that have not been seen for almost two thousand years - guess what? - they all, everyone concurs.
My claim is that you don't know anything in depth about these books and what they contain. Have you examined? Name just one or two and show me how they confirm anything but the fact that people were part of a certain religion at at a certain moment in time, and wrote about their beliefs. But did they examine?
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

cosmic_prostitute:
And this was designed to do what? Insult me?

Congrads.
Being of 1, you seem to be incredibly emotionally involved to these writings, have you ever considered the possibility that because you have spent such a considerable amount of time studying these texts that you may have grown dangerously emotionally attached to them?
In my thirtyfive years of being on the path of truth I have never considered this question, so thanks for the heads up.
Have these texts become intertwined to your sense of identity?
Ah a valid question and wisdom.

In the manner that truth is what is self evident.

I have a question for you - why do you think it would be dangerous to study a sage?

Have you ever studied a sage or read writings from others? Have these texts become intertwined to your sense of identity?
They’re just some dusty old writings written in outdated English, let the entire thing be forgotten I say…
This statement speaks for itself.

English eh?
Jesus’s work is written in cryptic ambiguous parables that are riddled with words that can be misused, generalizations and emotion.
Yup; the outdated English they used is kinda hard to decipher.

Do you see anything amiss with my above statement?

If you have any questions - you should ask.
There are contemporary writers that are far superior to Jesus.
Because you are far superior in understanding than Jesus right? That is how you know this?
I don’t feel it is necessary to keep valuing such poor quality writings.
What is a quality writing you should value?
History is a nightmare where the parties involved are unable to decide which events in the nightmare are factual or not.
That is only because of the constant lying and twisting. Did you bother to read what I said?

Let me try again - we now have 50 brand new books that have not been seen or even knew existed that have just been translated since the time of Jesus.

Do you think that might be of any signifigance?

You obviously have no idea why I might possibly raise this issue do you? Have you paused long enough to ask?

From my previous postings try to discern why I would raise such a difficult issue. Do you really think I am not a man given to thought?

Diebert van Rhijn:
Ah, I thought for a moment we were discussing eye-witnesses of Jesus the Man. Are you referring to Paul claiming having met such eye-witnesses? Or his visions?
He said he met Jesus himself. He also said he met all of the apostles as well as five hundred witnesses.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
-- Paul 1 Cor. 15

I guess all, everyone of them, were deluded until they died as old men years later(almost all martyrs because of their testimony) never having recounted their eyewitness account.
Anyway, the basic problem with naming Paul is your error of assuming accurate historicity of this figure. When you remove 1800+ years of writing about him by people who believed he was a reality, a servant of the divine, unquestioned, what is there really left?
Only the books found in the Nag Hammadi in 1945 that confirm Paul was a 'real guy' and we now have more writings of his.

We have the story completely confirmed by the recently found book called "The Apocalypse of Paul". You should check into it, it gives a much greater detailed version of his enlightenment experience.

Peter mentions him in his book and the book of Acts tells of his travels.

So no Diebert, it is you making the assumptions. The books unearthed in 1945 describe the identical events in detail.

What is left - a real guy named Paul who talked with the apostles and became one himself.
The gospel of Luke and the book of Acts is considered to be written anonymously by many researchers around for good reasons and was probably written after or around 100AD. And added to that Luke never claimed to be eyewitness! He claimed to have "carefully investigated" the stories.
-A physician,
(Col.4v14.)

-Wrote to Theophilus,
(Lk.1v1-4; Ac.1v1-2.)

-Accompanies Paul in his tour of Asia and Macedonia,
(Ac.16v10-13; Ac.20v5-6;)

-Goes to Jerusalem,
(Ac.21v1-18;)

-Goes to Rome,
(Ac.27-28; 2Tim.4v11; Phm.24.)

Who else was with Paul in his travels and made record of it?
Who else wrote with medical knowledge?
Who else was Greek with all of these attributes?

He said more than what you did:
Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
-- Luke 1

The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
-- Acts 1
These accounts are confirmed in and through hundreds of crosschecks.
Based on the two examples I addressed above I don't think you have understood yet what it means to name an eyewitness account.
I do not think you do; my question is - since when is a deposition not eyewitness testimony? In that case no testimony ever is valid when being dictated.

How many eyewitness accounts would convince you?
How many books - there are now over 70 in existence that all, everyone confirm the accounts were verfiably true.

We have direct eyewitness(not just testimony) accounts from all the other books and persons you just choose to ignore - how typical.
Bo1: They agree on the smallest of details with thousands of crosschecks for multiple (name and address given) eyewitness testimony. You could talk with most of the eyewitnesses when the records were written.

Diebert: That is your opinion but I think the evidence and logic will show seriously lacking all the way. Perhaps you forget 1800+ years of faith based analysis could be in the way?
I gave you a list of books that have just been translated in the last twenty years that have not been seen since the time of the apostles.

I guess it was a Christian conspiracy that hid the texts almost two thousand years ago and then decided the time was ripe(1945 AD) to spring their clever trap? Is that what you are saying?

It is not opinion, it is fact. If you think there are discrepencies lets see them. Can`t be that hard if they are there. We now have confirming multiple texts - check into it, it might be a real eyeopener for ya.

Lets see the discrepencies, that way, its no longer opinion, its logic.
My claim is that you don't know anything in depth about these books and what they contain. Have you examined? Name just one or two and show me how they confirm anything but the fact that people were part of a certain religion at at a certain moment in time, and wrote about their beliefs. But did they examine?
I already did Diebert, in the above post, I named several. So much for your assumptions.

Here is another. I did not mention it because its after his resurrection only.

The Letter of Peter to Philip (selected passages) Nag Hammadi find:
Peter, the apostle of Jesus Christ, to Philip, our beloved brother and our fellow apostle, and (to) the brethren who are with you: greetings!

When Philip had received these (words), and when he had read them, he went to Peter rejoicing with gladness. Then Peter gathered the others also. They went upon the mountain which is called "the (mount) olives," the place where they used to gather with the blessed Christ when he was in the body.

Then Jesus appeared saying to them, "Peace to you all and everyone who believes in my name. And when you depart, joy be to you and grace and power. And be not afraid; behold, I am with you forever."
I think it is you that is just taking the critics at their word without doing your homework - you did not even reckognize the books I listed - but of course, I am the one deluded eh?
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Being of 1 wrote
And this was designed to do what? Insult me? Congrads.
my mistake, I was being silly, forget about it.

Being of 1 wrote:
Have you ever studied a sage or read writings from others? Have these texts become intertwined to your sense of identity?
Studying the work of sages is fine, but there is the tendency for one to become attached to them, and value their work over others. I think it is necessary to forget the teachers. One needs to develop their own uniqueness and focusing strongly on other sages doesn’t help any.

Being of 1 wrote:
Because you are far superior in understanding than Jesus right?
why are you defending Jesus so strongly? Suppose I was superior to Jesus, would this bother you?

Being of 1 wrote:
That is how you know this?
I’m basically suggesting that wisdom should be preserved based on its concise simplicity and considering that the English language has changed drastically since Jesus’s time, I just don’t see the point in holding onto it.

Being of 1 wrote:
What is a quality writing you should value?
a psychological/physiological body of work that leaves out words like god, kingdom of heaven, sin, etc and so on. His language is for the dinosaurs.

Being of 1 wrote:
Yup; the outdated English they used is kinda hard to decipher.
Are you able to admit that the language from Jesus’s time is outdated? we don’t want to use words like lord anymore, instead it is substituted with words like emptiness. These words are far superior than the words Jesus used.

I’m more interested in the intelligent evolution of language rather than preserving the image/life of individuals.

You should question your desire to preserve the life of individuals, The life of the individual is not important, but the teachings can be used as a tool only if they are up to date/relevant and difficult to abuse/misuse.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Bo1,

Just as numerous Zen practioners have understood that you must eventually "Kill The Buddha" in order to progress spiritually, the same tenet should apply to all serious students of any religious sect. Jesus spoke out against idol worship, but with a religion so saturated in religious symbolism, he naturally became his own antithesis. To metaphorically kill Jesus could confuse the already metaphoric progression of the transconfiguration.

Unless...
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Steven wrote:
Just as numerous Zen practioners have understood that you must eventually "Kill The Buddha" in order to progress spiritually, the same tenet should apply to all serious students of any religious sect. Jesus spoke out against idol worship, but with a religion so saturated in religious symbolism, he naturally became his own antithesis. To metaphorically kill Jesus could confuse the already metaphoric progression of the transconfiguration.
well put.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Thanks, CP.
Diebert van Rhijn

Beingof1, let me try to slice through it so your understanding of my viewpoint might increase.
He [Paul] said he met Jesus himself.
No, there is no evidence in any writing by Paul or reasonable analysis of Paul that even implies this. What is written down is a vision and voice Paul encountered that made him change his ways. This is the only reference to a meeting with Jesus and is clearly what is aimed for in all texts you can come up with.

The voice is clearly stated to be an inner voice and as such cannot be compared to a physical man-to-man meeting. One could just as well say Paul had a mystical experience, seeing the 'light' and realized he was persecuting('killing') the truth and that all his religious interpretations he learned all of his life were false. If anything at all, Paul was some kind of sage or mystic, perhaps not unlike Appolonius I mentioned before, or some rewrite of him, experiencing direct revelation through wisdom. No need for fancy tales of Jesus the Superman, and you won't find Paul writing about him in that way either. Paul was not concerned with Jesus the Man, his birth, life or the countless miracles based on what we have left from (what is claimed to be) his writing.
We have the story completely confirmed by the recently found book called "The Apocalypse of Paul". You should check into it, it gives a much greater detailed version of his enlightenment experience.
I'm familiar with it. But these texts are commonly placed in the 2nd century AD or even much later, containing mostly Paul his travels through "seven heavens" in language that completely differs from the Canon. If you want to abandon the canon that is okay but you have to allow for all texts to be taken into consideration as well any informed research connected to it. Otherwise it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

If you want to make the case that the original Paul was some enlightened teacher, then it's a different matter and I'd love to discuss it. But we were talking about eye-witnesses of Jesus the Man, from a humanistic or existential viewpoint. Or at least, I was.
So no Diebert, it is you making the assumptions. The books unearthed in 1945 describe the identical events in detail.
Books have been unearthed. That's all. The assumption you are making is that the bits you pick from it are adding anything to your argument, while you deny any common dating of the documents and probably would dismiss any document that differs with your fixed facts.

About Luke:
Wrote to Theophilus, (Lk.1v1-4; Ac.1v1-2.)
The only known Theophilus that might fit the bill lived around 180AD. And if it's an unknown person than why bring it up as something that says something about the author?

The rest of your quotes are not relevant to the question. Where does any text link the author to the person you try to describe? By name I mean.
my question is - since when is a deposition not eyewitness testimony? In that case no testimony ever is valid when being dictated.
Not every testimony qualifies as relevant or valid indeed. One has to examine all aspects to find its value. One has to look at similar testimonies, competitive views, external (non-involved or non-believer) testimonies and so on to create a clearer picture.
How many eyewitness accounts would convince you?
How many books - there are now over 70 in existence that all, everyone confirm the accounts were verfiably true.
Even one well researched non-Christian source known for sure to be from the first century that writes something about Jesus his life or mission or even his disciples. And you can't use Josephus for reasons I'm sure you understand.
I gave you a list of books that have just been translated in the last twenty years that have not been seen since the time of the apostles.
It's not that dramatic. The books are a mixed bag really, take what you need and discard the rest.
It is not opinion, it is fact. If you think there are discrepencies lets see them. Can`t be that hard if they are there. We now have confirming multiple texts - check into it, it might be a real eyeopener for ya.
Merely having 'confirming multiple texts' is not a sound base to perform critical research into a religion. It depends on the origin of the texts and who wrote them of course, and when! All the evidence together can lead not to 'fact' but to the situation that one make assign probabilities to historical events that are claimed to have found place. This is how all historians work, and so should you if you want to engage in such activities at all, that is.

A 100% fact it will never become, for getting 'facts' the book of history is too hard to read. One can only hope to be reasonable about it in the end.
Lets see the discrepencies, that way, its no longer opinion, its logic.
The most you'll get is a reasonable assumption or opinion. If you're looking for something more, don't start digging into ancient texts handed down by so many deluded hands and minds.
The Letter of Peter to Philip (selected passages) Nag Hammadi find:...
Not relevant. Again this is not canonical and with a very much disputed origin and time frame. Analysis of language puts is very far from the time Jesus, Paul and Peter should have lived in. But anyway, I could 'prove' in the same way by quoting The Gospel of Mary that Jesus had a lover and Mary Magdalene was the superior apostle thereby turning the canonical gospels into a pack of lies. I think you have to be more careful when using these documents to make your point.

Lets just concentrate more on external evidence, sources outside the Christian or church Literature, okay? Roman, Jewish and Hellenistic scripts are welcome.
I think it is you that is just taking the critics at their word without doing your homework - you did not even reckognize the books I listed - but of course, I am the one deluded eh?
I don't consider you deluded if it comes to knowing Christ, Beingof1. You seem to realize more than most. But there appears also something holding you back in your posts, a theological structure of supposed 'facts' that provides possible hiding places for a battered ego. A weird 'split' in your understanding, how can you understand the eternal Christ but put so much value on historical 'play'? Only the sharpest of reasoning can cut through this, and I don't mean mine, but yours.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

Yeah. And the Jewish Talmud is admittedly just a canonization of the writings of various rabbis. Moses could have been lying.
Diebert van Rhijn

millipodium wrote:Yeah. And the Jewish Talmud is admittedly just a canonization of the writings of various rabbis. Moses could have been lying.
Moses, which Moses? Also much of the Torah has been compiled, edited and written up in quite a late and chaotic period, centuries after the facts. Figures like Abraham, Moses, King David and Salomon are possibly only loosely based on older traditions and myths surrounding these characters. I believe it's quite likely they were not the people that Judaism or Islam believes they were. The key will be external evidence from Egyptian, Syrian and Persian historical records when finally sorted out, if any at all.

Imagine the Greek regarding Homer's works in the same literal historical sense as Judaism and Christianity still keep the Torah! The Greek would be seen still crossing the seas in search of monsters to slay. But the Greeks were wise enough to know when it's enough and leave the stage.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

cosmic_prostitute:
Studying the work of sages is fine, but there is the tendency for one to become attached to them, and value their work over others.
How can you determine value to writings you have never read or studied?

I know for a fact, you have never studied the sage known as Jesus, and yet you form an opinion based on what?

Ah - heresay and assumptive conjecture. It the assumptions I am talking about in this entire thread. I can only hope that others see what is so obvious you would have to hop, skip, and jump to miss it.

Now you are sure I have become attached, as if you have any idea whatsoever what I am supposed to be attached to.

I suggest a translation and read simply two very small books in the NT.

Use 'The Amplified Version' - excellent translation, probably the best that I know of (unless you have studied Greek and Aramaic). Read Matthew (1st book) and John (4th book) in NT - then you will have earned the right to actually know whether it has value.
I think it is necessary to forget the teachers. One needs to develop their own uniqueness and focusing strongly on other sages doesn’t help any.
Then why read anything at all?

In fact; why did you bother to learn to read and write?

Why do you post here?

Bo1: Because you are far superior in understanding than Jesus right?

CP: why are you defending Jesus so strongly? Suppose I was superior to Jesus, would this bother you?

Alright; lets go with your supposition.

Why in the world should I read your post, listen to anything you have to say? For that matter, why should you yourself, listen to what you yourself think or say?

I’m basically suggesting that wisdom should be preserved based on its concise simplicity and considering that the English language has changed drastically since Jesus’s time, I just don’t see the point in holding onto it.
You also said this in above post:
Do you know the two sayings that can sum up the entire teachings of Jesus?

They are as encrytped as E=Mc2, do you understand this formula?

It is not his teachings that are in question but how could you know this? That is not really what this is all about though it does appear that way.
Bo1: What is a quality writing you should value?

CP: a psychological/physiological body of work that leaves out words like god, kingdom of heaven, sin, etc and so on. His language is for the dinosaurs.
And should we also exclude words like sandskrit, enlightenment, Buddha, suffering, bliss, eightfold path, Karma, samsara, harmless, emptiness, logic, wisdom, truth, perfection, etc. All of these words predate the dinosaurs.

Do you think Truth, Courage, Honesty, Logic, Masculinity, Wisdom, Perfection and words like these mean the same thing to anybody not in this forum?

It is not the 'words' that helps anyone, it is meaning and understanding.
Bo1: Yup; the outdated English they used is kinda hard to decipher.

CP: Are you able to admit that the language from Jesus’s time is outdated? we don’t want to use words like lord anymore, instead it is substituted with words like emptiness. These words are far superior than the words Jesus used.
If you think I made an assumption that you have never studied or just have barely (if that) surface knowledge of Jesus, ask Diebert or David why I might say that. They also know this fact without doubt.

Yet; just like I said, everyone in the world today is smarter, has more knowledge, and is far superior to Jesus. Everyone knows either, exactly what he meant or there is no value whatsoever in his life.

What massive brainwashing on an epic scale. It is brainwashing that not only Christiandom is guilty of, it is the post-modernists, universities, and self proclaimed gurus of all stripes these days.

Wake up, wipe the sleep out of your eyes and get a grip.
I’m more interested in the intelligent evolution of language rather than preserving the image/life of individuals.
That is because you believe truth is contained in language, it most certainly is not.

Truth is demonstrated by the occurance of reality - that is truth.
You should question your desire to preserve the life of individuals,
Roll eye smiley insert here:

The more we talk, the obvious becomes apparent.

Allow me to retort; Why did you post "You should question"?
The life of the individual is not important, but the teachings can be used as a tool only if they are up to date/relevant and difficult to abuse/misuse.
How many ways are there to teach?
How many tools are there?
What does "up to date mean"?
Could you name anything, anywhere, at anytime that is difficult to abuse/misuse?

Steven Coyle:

Unless...

Does this mean the Buddhist teachings are a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging?

How do you kill what you do not know?

If you are speaking of taking the training wheels off, I agree.

That is not at all, even close, to what I am addressing.

Someone might say; "Jesus was a very great sage and we should study his life". The answer in a nutshell given here is; "you are hoplessly deluded".

If you pay attention - the simple name of Jesus brings such an emotional backlash, it is not that difficult to see where the delusion lies. At this point it is hard to see who the true fundamentalist is and not all that difficult to see where the 'blind faith' actually is.

If you pay attention.

Diebert van Rhijn:
No, there is no evidence in any writing by Paul or reasonable analysis of Paul that even implies this. What is written down is a vision and voice Paul encountered that made him change his ways. This is the only reference to a meeting with Jesus and is clearly what is aimed for in all texts you can come up with.
Rather than reading what is plainly written , we must deny what is written to fit into our conjecture?

You say there is "no evidence" - what do you call this then?
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
The reference you write about above is commonly refered to as "the Damascus Road Experience" - that is not at all what Paul just said here, not even close.

You tell me what "seeing" Paul was refering to here? He said he saw him just like Peter, the twelve, and the five hundred. You tell me - did he mean to say they all had "visions"?
The voice is clearly stated to be an inner voice and as such cannot be compared to a physical man-to-man meeting. One could just as well say Paul had a mystical experience, seeing the 'light' and realized he was persecuting('killing') the truth and that all his religious interpretations he learned all of his life were false. If anything at all, Paul was some kind of sage or mystic, perhaps not unlike Appolonius I mentioned before, or some rewrite of him, experiencing direct revelation through wisdom. No need for fancy tales of Jesus the Superman, and you won't find Paul writing about him in that way either. Paul was not concerned with Jesus the Man, his birth, life or the countless miracles based on what we have left from (what is claimed to be) his writing.
No doubt Paul had the mystical experience you described, that does not discount what he wrote above. He said "last of all he was seen of me also" in the context that Cephas and the twelve had "seen him".

Regardless - do you think he meant the other witnesses had all "seen visions"?

As far as Paul writing of Jesus the man, he did so only on a couple of occasions and was concerned primarily with the 'Christ'. You make a good point here.

We do know from his numerous references to Jesus, that is who he was talking about as he uses their names interchangeably.

I'm familiar with it. But these texts are commonly placed in the 2nd century AD or even much later
Nonsense; I can prove, without doubt, there exists a book in the Nag Hammadi that was written about 400 BC.

So much for all those 'experts' - all they are doing is a little prestedigitation on you and you swallow it hook, line and sinker. Those are harsh words Diebert but it is absolute fact that there is a book in the texts dated 400 BC or earlier.

Almost everyone I have ever met that has read scripture(including the 'experts') constantly interjects what is clearly either said or not said. What is truly there and not there. When you can actually see, with clear eyes what is written, what exists, what proof is there and not there, that tells me you just may be someone I should listen to.

As long as you believe conjectures, assumptions, and must interject - beyond what is clearly seen, you are trying to change not only the context, facts, and truth but what is actually existing in reality.

Here is the absolute proof - what is the date of the composition of "Republic" by Plato? Those early Christians anticipated this ludicrous 'dating', pure genius.

All the texts were translated from Greek to coptic, thats it, as far as the textual geneology. We can date one more book to the late second early third century "The Concept of Our Great Power" and even that date is real fuzzy wuzzy.

So the earliest book dated around 400 BC? The very latest, maybe mid third century? That means we have a spread of 700 years while the Christian texts were obviously composed after Jesus.

Let me ask myself, should I believe modern day 'experts' or those hundreds that write as eyewitness testimony?

I think I shall take it at face value rather than having to change reality.
in language that completely differs from the Canon.
Really? Have you read John`s texts recently?

I am not hearing anything new, you are just kicking out all the "textbook criticisms" of the mindless so called 'experts'. They figure if you throw enough BS at the subject, well; "sumthin is gonna stick".

Just because it comes from the mouth of someone with a PHD, does not automatically make it true. In fact; lets just say, someone I know about, redated the Dead Sea Scrolls as they all, everyone of the scholors but him were missing the obvious because of their predisposition while reading the DSS "This has got to be all wrong".

Its not really you Diebert, its just that none seem to use just 'common sense' when it comes to Jesus or scripture on both sides of the debate. All of a sudden, everyones brain goes on tilt and ceases to function.

What a powerful sage indeed.
If you want to abandon the canon that is okay but you have to allow for all texts to be taken into consideration as well any informed research connected to it. Otherwise it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
More proof to me you are not paying attention to what I am saying at all. In fact; it shows me once again I am the only one I have ever talked to who can see the facts without emotional attachment.

I listed the books - do you think I am ready to retract the entire Nag Hammadi cause you say so?
If you want to make the case that the original Paul was some enlightened teacher, then it's a different matter and I'd love to discuss it. But we were talking about eye-witnesses of Jesus the Man, from a humanistic or existential viewpoint. Or at least, I was.
We do not know if Paul saw Jesus before the crucifixion so we cannot say. You make a valid point here in that Paul speaks of the Christ alot more than Jesus the man.
Books have been unearthed. That's all.
Okay, if this is the best you got, it is just pointless as it is tying up precious time.

Do you not see what is absolutely, so completely unbelieveable with your above statement?
The assumption you are making is that the bits you pick from it are adding anything to your argument, while you deny any common dating of the documents and probably would dismiss any document that differs with your fixed facts.
The only two books we can come close to dating is the two I mentioned above. Unless of course there has been a breakthrough in the dating in the last month that I am unaware of and that is highy unlikely.

We can date the binders, not the texts themselves, other than knowing the Christian texts were dated after Jesus.

So what assumption am I making? Can you show me another dating?

It must be something other than putting a wet finger in the air.

The authors claimed to be eyewitnesses of many events - I think I will trust them since there are literally thousands, but it takes knowing the facts and seeing clearly before you can know that.

There are over 5000 fragments, books, and texts to establish the canon, now there is the Nag Hammadi. I trust them rather than deluded attachments of post-modern revisionists.

It is overwhelming - he resurrected - deal with it. It is why the date is AD.
About Luke:
Okay fine, the early church fathers said it was Luke but obviously you have more information then they do.
Not every testimony qualifies as relevant or valid indeed. One has to examine all aspects to find its value. One has to look at similar testimonies, competitive views, external (non-involved or non-believer) testimonies and so on to create a clearer picture.
I do not have the time or inclination to keep answering the same questions over and over.

How many does it take? How much proof do you need? 50 confirming books are not enough? That is just delusion. How many testimonies?

THERE IS MORE PROOF FOR JESUS THAN ANY OTHER PERSON IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF MANKIND. And all, every eyewitness, testimony, credible evidence, irrefutable books uncovered in 1945 for God`s sake and it is still not enough? 5000 texts of the canon not enough?

There is a literal mountain of evidence - it tells me there will never, ever, be enough to satisfy you - if that is the case, this is a complete waste of time.

The fundies believe he resurrected because they think they believe.

The critics will not admit the truth because they believe they think.

I do not have blind faith, I do not have to, I know the facts and the experience.
Even one well researched non-Christian source known for sure to be from the first century that writes something about Jesus his life or mission or even his disciples. And you can't use Josephus for reasons I'm sure you understand.
Lets see, you reject thousands of testimonies in favour of one? Diebert, again, I am not so much being sarcastic because of you but its like reading a book by Adamson or Pagels when I read your posts.

I am not impressed by their PHD education and whatnot as they can`t seem to reason their way out of a paper bag and the really disapointing thing to me is, you seem to just buy their sales pitch without doing some critical hard thinking for yourself.

I know I am making an assumption there but doggonit, I have heard all these 'objections' that are dispatched with ease with common sense as the nonsense that they are.

Lets see if we cannot clear up the mystery.
1)
Early ministry of Jesus - The Romans on a good weekend, had 70,000 people watching the Circus Maximus. The city of Ephesus had 50,000 whatching their plays.

Jesus drew crouds of at the most, at the peak 15,000 - 20,000.

There is a church where I live, I know the pastor, the membership is about 30,000. His name is Mark Martin, have you ever heard of him? They claim to have seen miracles in their congregation, have you heard of them?

I have shared meals with this pastor, why have you not heard of him? Why no CNN coverage?

Why not and why doesn`t the European Union talk about him? If he really existed he would have been mentioned right? Why doesnt Bush talk about him?

2)
Later Christianity - it is a capitol offense to be a Christian and talk about Jesus and its a puzzle as to why nobody but a believer puts their neck on the line?

Bo1: I gave you a list of books that have just been translated in the last twenty years that have not been seen since the time of the apostles.

Diebert: It's not that dramatic. The books are a mixed bag really, take what you need and discard the rest.
This statement speaks volumes of what you do with the reality of being able to read for yourself.

In other words; if an earthquake happened and the canon itself were unearthed you would wait to find the "Q" document wouldn`t you? If they ever did find the Q document you would be waiting for the R that was the smoking gun.

No matter the evidence - it just will never do will it Diebert?

Example:
After he rose from the dead,his twelve diciples and seven women continued to be his followers and went to Galilee.
-- The Sophia of Jesus Christ

It gives accounts like this in the brand new books over and over and over.

One of the most profound books in the collection is "Thunder; Perfect Mind" I highly recommend this book.

Merely having 'confirming multiple texts' is not a sound base to perform critical research into a religion. It depends on the origin of the texts and who wrote them of course, and when! All the evidence together can lead not to 'fact' but to the situation that one make assign probabilities to historical events that are claimed to have found place. This is how all historians work, and so should you if you want to engage in such activities at all, that is.
Of course - 70 different books, all with the same named eyewitnesses telling the exact same story, with the exact same identical details without any conflicts is just a fluke.

We can assume that they are all wrong and just because we have unearthed more texts that name the same identical eyewitnesses, with more claiming eyewitness events themselves as a vast fundy conspiracy to deceive the modern enlightened ones.

You said it would only take one eyewitness from the 1st century that was a nonbeliever.

You would take the word of one single solitary person over a mountain of proof(many of which did not believe but were convinced because they saw).
A 100% fact it will never become, for getting 'facts' the book of history is too hard to read. One can only hope to be reasonable about it in the end.
And I keep looking and looking for anyone giving simply a "reasonable" explanation. I will have to surrender to the fact that I may very well be the only one - so be it.
Not relevant. Again this is not canonical and with a very much disputed origin and time frame.
So you think "The Letter of Peter to Philip" Has a disputed origin?

This is pointless dude - I told you, look for yourself, its from the Nag Hammadi.

In addition you say because its not canon, it is disputable and then you dispute the canon itself. That is catch 22 and really is absolutly the most flawed logic I have seen in ages.

That is; if it is not canon it is unacceptable.
If it is from the canon it is unacceptable.

Yup - absolutely pointless until you start showing me some common sense.

It reminds me of talking with the 'liberal' experts, they talk in continuous circles and are unable to see it and think I am deluded and "to passionate". The "conservatives" refuse to look at facts and are moved soley by selective memory, they think I am to 'out there'.

Its not that hard Diebert, stop trying to prove it one way or the other and just look at the facts objectively. Thats it - that is all you have to do. If you can manage that you can see clearly.
Analysis of language puts is very far from the time Jesus, Paul and Peter should have lived in.
Here we are again - same thing, you are just not using common sense.

It was written in Greek, these are the coptic translations.

You just believe the 'spin' as fact. I cannot possibly take all this time to answer questions that can be cleared up if you use common sense.

These are not objections in the true sense, they are just throwing baloney around hoping nobody notices. Its a waste of my energy and I am getting to old for this. Beside, I do not have that much time.
But anyway, I could 'prove' in the same way by quoting The Gospel of Mary that Jesus had a lover and Mary Magdalene was the superior apostle thereby turning the canonical gospels into a pack of lies. I think you have to be more careful when using these documents to make your point.
More spin that you just believe without checking. That whole line of thought comes from a fragment in "The Gospel Of Philip" that is mostly untranslatable.
And the companion of the [...] Mary Magdalene.
[... loved] her more than the diciples [... used to] kiss her on her [...].
Thats it - thats the great love affair story with all the facts.

I will use all of these books fearlessly because they all, everyone concur.

If they did not concur I would still use them.

The fact is multiple books from multiple sources naming same identical eyewitnesses with the same exact details is just common sense. Do the crosschecks, look at all the records and it becomes more than just a fancy story, it becomes irrefutable if you use good ole handy dandy logic without emotion.
Lets just concentrate more on external evidence, sources outside the Christian or church Literature, okay? Roman, Jewish and Hellenistic scripts are welcome.
Of course; that way we can choose to believe whatever we want to and make up any fancy that enters the mind.

So you reject the fact that Plato wrote the Republic because it was found in the Nag Hammadi? In fact; you have posted some Plato here at this forum at times, guess you should not do that as it is a spurios source because it was found in the Nag Hammadi amongs - God forbid - Christian texts.
don't consider you deluded if it comes to knowing Christ, Beingof1. You seem to realize more than most. But there appears also something holding you back in your posts, a theological structure of supposed 'facts' that provides possible hiding places for a battered ego. A weird 'split' in your understanding, how can you understand the eternal Christ but put so much value on historical 'play'? Only the sharpest of reasoning can cut through this, and I don't mean mine, but yours.
I appreciate that Diebert and regardless the tone of my post I do respect you and would not spend this much time if I did not truly enjoy your company and believe you have wisdom.

That does not mean I will continue jumping over mouse droppings.

Figures like Abraham, Moses, King David and Salomon are possibly only loosely based on older traditions and myths surrounding these characters.
Did you know they have found stella and monuments to David?
They found three in the 90`s and put the issue to bed Diebert.

Did you know they found King David`s palace last year?
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Does this mean the Buddhist teachings are a pack of lies from top to bottom, and beyond salvaging?
I think David was directing your attention to what a rare attainment it is to understand the wisdom of Jesus.
Someone might say; "Jesus was a very great sage and we should study his life". The answer in a nutshell given here is; "you are hopelessly deluded".
There are variables in the equation.

The quality of the student is just as important as that of the teacher.
AlyOshA

Post by AlyOshA »

I am new to this site so forgive me if I am not keen on the grove of these postings. I am surprised by how much ego emanates from the topics of spirituality.
I respect you Beingof1. You are flying solo with your beliefs on this thread and doing a damn fine job of defending them. It seems that your path is to prove the historicity of certain Christian figures, for what reason I do not know, but that is not my path. I am very curious to hear your opinion of these passages. I have read others but I would like to know yours.
Matthew 21:17-22

17. And he left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and he lodged there. 18. Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered. 19. And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away. 20. And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away! 21. Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be cast into the sea; and it shall be done. 22. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Mark 11:12-14 and 20-26

12. And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry: 13. And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. 14. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

20. And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up fro the roots. 21. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away. 22. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. 23. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. 24. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye shall receive them. 25. And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive your trespasses. 26. But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven may forgive you your enemies.
It seems that you insist on putting Buddhism through the same scrutiny as Christianity. That is a valid request. I feel that someone’s philosophy or belief system is the foundation of all of that person’s actions and intentions, and therefore it becomes fundamentally important to know what it is you believe, and why you believe it. Personally, I put my beliefs under constant scrutiny on a regular basis, and what I’m left with is of true substance (if not tailored to me as an individual). This is one of the blessings of an evolved religion like many Eastern philosophies, Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism (to some extent). They are constantly modifying their beliefs because they hold your same sentiments, but this is of a vastly different nature than that of revealed religions like many philosophies born in the Middle East, Christianity, Judaism, and Muslim. The nature of a revealed religion is that someone spoke some words thousands of years ago and those words are set in stone, never to change, and not necessarily intended to be discovered on a personal level. Only Moses can see the burning bush and comment on it. If you look at the coexistence of Eastern Religions, lets say Taoism and Buddhism as it existed in China prior to the revolution, you will see that they were incredibly compatible and peaceful (they even borrow from each others beliefs). If you observe the coexistence of Middle Eastern religions you will plainly see constant struggle and violence (just as apparent now as it has been forever). So what modern day (liberal) Christians do (and I would guess that you fall into this category, if I am wrong I apologize) is pick and choose the things out of the bible that they like and they base their beliefs on that (essentially a condensed and edited bible). You are using what is available and trying to do what you can with it (but yet you would never consider actually re-writing it). So how do you deal with a belief system that is so overwhelmingly powerful, currently and historically violent and destructive, and scientifically and philosophically passé (with the intention to remain that way)? No I’m really asking your opinion because I value it.
And yes I have seen the videos of the Buddhist monks fist fighting but you are not seriously comparing the historical violence of Eastern religions to that of the Middle Eastern Religions are you?
lost child
Diebert van Rhijn

Beingof1 wrote: Rather than reading what is plainly written , we must deny what is written to fit into our conjecture?
There doesn't exist something like 'reading what is plainly written'. It's always being fitted in with some amount or conjecture. So one has to examine the words and the fitting and the conjecture all at the same time, to get the most accurate idea about what it could be we're looking at.
You tell me what "seeing" Paul was refering to here? He said he saw him just like Peter, the twelve, and the five hundred. You tell me - did he mean to say they all had "visions"?
Perhaps they all had mystical experiences but that's not my point. Paul himself qualifies his Damascus experience as a meeting with Jesus, and it's his first as far as the NT scriptures go. So logic will force one to assume he's talking about that experience only. Maybe some scripture can help to make my view more clearly since both are about the Damascus experience and to assume some other meeting yet unnamed seems an 'argument from silence' to me.
The bible wrote:Act 26:15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;

Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught [it], but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Beingof1 wrote:Regardless - do you think he meant the other witnesses had all "seen visions"?
Christians still use 'seeing the Light' and "I've met Jesus" to describe conversion experiences. But apart from that I'm neutral on the issue. For this discussion it's best to go by what is written and that's the Damascus experience. Paul or the Gospel authors would have mentioned any other meeting if it had occurred or not? That last question can be seen as an argument from silence, this time mine, I know.
diebert wrote:I'm familiar with it. But these texts are commonly placed in the 2nd century AD or even much later
Beingof1 wrote:Nonsense; I can prove, without doubt, there exists a book in the Nag Hammadi that was written about 400 BC.
You misunderstood me, I meant that the texts in that specific book, not the whole library! The NH contains so many different things, it was probably once part of an extensive library of religious thought, sometimes suggested to be 'Gnostic' which leaves the question open if this was the 'true' Christian thought, its predecessor or a later development or merge.
So much for all those 'experts' - all they are doing is a little prestedigitation on you and you swallow it hook, line and sinker.
And you aren't? You just make up a year that is convenient to your ideas and uphold it as fact? What kind of swallowing is then expected from the people listening to you?
As long as you believe conjectures, assumptions, and must interject - beyond what is clearly seen, you are trying to change not only the context, facts, and truth but what is actually existing in reality.
That is all based on the assumption that your view doesn't need correction anymore. I challenge that view.
So the earliest book dated around 400 BC? The very latest, maybe mid third century? That means we have a spread of 700 years while the Christian texts were obviously composed after Jesus.
And why would that be? Some 'Christian' texts might as well pre-date a person called Jesus, depending on the assumptions you take with you. And you already know the essence of Christ is not just a Christian concept, so it should not sound unlikely to you that some Christian-ish writings could be BC, or perhaps rewrites from older mystical texts.
Let me ask myself, should I believe modern day 'experts' or those hundreds that write as eyewitness testimony?
What would Reason say if it was here?
Its not really you Diebert, its just that none seem to use just 'common sense' when it comes to Jesus or scripture on both sides of the debate.
I'm open to many sides of the story, the orthodox, unorthodox modern, critical, conspiracy and 'new age' analysis. But so far I find your analysis not very reasonable or logical, even compared to many others I've heard. The direction seems fine but somewhere somehow you seem to got stuck 'on the way', like a broken record.
All of a sudden, everyones brain goes on tilt and ceases to function.

What a powerful sage indeed.
Or what delusional fantastic herdish minds. That observation works many ways, you know.
I listed the books - do you think I am ready to retract the entire Nag Hammadi cause you say so?
No, but you can't use the entire library to make your point. That way you drown the issue. Be specific in why you choose some document and why you give authority and credibility to its origin in terms of authenticity, relevance and content. Just wiping away the opinion of translators and experts in the field as if they don't exist doesn't seem in itself very helpful.
Diebert wrote:Books have been unearthed. That's all.
Beingof1 wrote:Okay, if this is the best you got, it is just pointless as it is tying up precious time.

Do you not see what is absolutely, so completely unbelieveable with your above statement?
Again you misunderstand. I meant to say again that the NH find in itself doesn't say 'something'. It only means something when you select specific texts and give a credible analysis or translation of it, placing it into context and so on. Those centuries were a melting pot of merging religious thought and there were many competing offshoots. As the NH reflects in my view.
We can date the binders, not the texts themselves, other than knowing the Christian texts were dated after Jesus.
There's a lot in the text and context that can help dating. Style, certain uses of words, referrals to historical events and so on. It's not a very exact science though, I'll give you that. Not unimportant though.
The authors claimed to be eyewitnesses of many events - I think I will trust them since there are literally thousands, but it takes knowing the facts and seeing clearly before you can know that.
Do you believe that no text was edited or falsified over time in any way? And if to a degree, how would you go about your way reading them?
There are over 5000 fragments, books, and texts to establish the canon, now there is the Nag Hammadi. I trust them rather than deluded attachments of post-modern revisionists.
The only thing that is established is what a certain explosively growing group of believers thought to be true in mostly the second century and beyond. What exactly happened in the first century is very hard to determine. And the Nag Hammadi gives an interesting insight but more in the differing views on God, Christ and Jesus and his apostles, than anything else. In other words: Nag Hammadi shows how unreliable the idea 'eye witness' now has become, since it give credit to the idea there was no unified Christian thought in the early stages at all.
It is overwhelming - he resurrected - deal with it. It is why the date is AD.
I'll use CE next time...
Okay fine, the early church fathers said it was Luke but obviously you have more information then they do.
You have great faith in the early church fathers! And how did they know? Just because they 'said it'. What reason they had to doubt the origins of the faith they embraced?
There is a literal mountain of evidence - it tells me there will never, ever, be enough to satisfy you - if that is the case, this is a complete waste of time.
You admit then that there's nothing from the first century CE? Nothing at all from an external source about such a great wise man traveling around the country, causing such a stir? And there are even hardly Christian documents left which are dated with certainty before 100CE. We have some copies, edited and compiled and nobody is sure about their exact origins. What is written and believed 100 years after the supposed facts doesn't seem that relevant. The 'mountain' of evidence becomes then late, mostly Christians writing about their favorite topic: Christ!

Examine some other older religions that left a mountain of documents (the Greek and their gods perhaps) and tell me what you think in that case.
I know the facts and the experience.
Yeah, you're like one of the ten virgins. But will you keep the flame ongoing? Or are you leaning back comfortably now, ignoring to check if your facts haven't gone stale on you?
Lets see, you reject thousands of testimonies in favour of one? Diebert, again, I am not so much being sarcastic because of you but its like reading a book by Adamson or Pagels when I read your posts.
It's not about rejecting. It's about seeing them in a different light. Which better light is there in this case than some non-believer source who wrote what he saw or heard at the time. In my experience having a strong faith in some supposed fact is not very conductive to honest inquiry. That's because of emotions influencing the logic and scrutiny too strongly. Deception starts, even with 'thousands', actually especially with 'thousands' because ignorance can be observed to be contagious.
I have shared meals with this pastor, why have you not heard of him? Why no CNN coverage?
That's because his ideas and rituals are quite common nowadays. Millions have similar ideas or are exploring healing powers. And upon rigid examination it appears that sometimes frauds are involved, sometimes powerful and healing placebo effects, sometimes a misdiagnosis turns untrue that was given to them by their doctor and sometimes people just get healed spontaneously; also atheists in hospitals following the mysterious ways of cause and effect. So nothing really new. Perhaps Jesus his teachings and miracles were not that special either. There were so many miracle workers and 'would be messiahs' in those times and the Roman threat was growing. A feeling of Armageddon was gathering. What a time for Christ to incarnate!
No matter the evidence - it just will never do will it Diebert?
I'm not in need of any evidence. I can find the same truths in everything I examine. Why are you in need? Isn't your experience enough? Why must the tradition exactly fit your understanding? I don't understand your drive to make it 'true' as some literal eye-witness event. I can accept the idea that there was a living Christ 2000 years ago, but I can accept also there were many others, in various degrees over the centuries. I believe the NT version as is currenly used and taught by Christians does more harm than good for the wisdom it should contain. It's time to let it go, let the ark strand.
One of the most profound books in the collection is "Thunder; Perfect Mind" I highly recommend this book.
I'll check it out, though I've already read most of the collection over time.
You said it would only take one eyewitness from the 1st century that was a nonbeliever.
Didn't say that in such way, but I'll accept even any other, indirect account from a non-Christian during the first century. It would impress me, really.
You would take the word of one single solitary person over a mountain of proof(many of which did not believe but were convinced because they saw).
The reason is clear. If you want to examine a murder mystery, would you believe the ones most suspect of the crime, or some non-involved bystander? And I did specify that it should be not just a person, but some researched figure whose background is known to a degree, so we have context there too. It could be one of the opposing factions to Christ and has to be read that way.
So you think "The Letter of Peter to Philip" Has a disputed origin?

This is pointless dude - I told you, look for yourself, its from the Nag Hammadi.
Yes, so it's from Nag Hammadi. That doesn't say anything about who wrote it, when and with which intention. You have really a very difficult case if all NH documents must be truth, as well the NT, the churchfathers, heretics, all of it. You must make your own selection or perish by irrationality. I can prove that.
In addition you say because its not canon, it is disputable and then you dispute the canon itself. That is catch 22 and really is absolutely the most flawed logic I have seen in ages.
I'm honored to be credited with such accomplishment. My point was that the canon has had way more scrutinizing and analysis than Nag Hammadi, which can be drawn upon. The Gnostic ideas in Nag Hammadi are by many not even considered mainstream Christianity, nor part of the core teachings of the apostles or early Church at least. There are good reasons for that but I think it's slightly outside the discussion right now. Perhaps later.
That is; if it is not canon it is unacceptable.
If it is from the canon it is unacceptable.
No, you're misreading me. I never said it was unacceptable. I was just remarking your sudden jump outside the canon, as if the canon didn't contain enough eyewitnesses. Which you claimed it did. So your referral to books outside the canon seemed like a red herring to me. More Christian books, possibly written much later, to support other writing from Christians. Then add these people all up as being eyewitnesses that somehow proof each other's right. That's how it appeared to me.
More spin that you just believe without checking. That whole line of thought comes from a fragment in "The Gospel Of Philip" that is mostly untranslatable.
No, you didn't check Mary's gospel yourself. For example: "Sister, we know that the Savior loved you more than other women" and "Did he prefer her to us?". Both are illustrating the a position of Mary that counters what is taught in most documents explaining the roll of the apostles. I admit it's a stretch to turn this into a romantic affair but together with texts like the one in Philip the position of Mary seems suspect at least. Or so one could question now if these texts were really written by the ones that you claim.
So you reject the fact that Plato wrote the Republic because it was found in the Nag Hammadi?
No, it proves my point that the Nag Hammadi is a mixed bag if it comes to representing Christian thought as e.g. Paul or James taught it.
Did you know they have found stella and monuments to David?
They found three in the 90`s and put the issue to bed Diebert.

Did you know they found King David`s palace last year?
Yes, and as I already said, the characters seem to be based on real historical figures. It follows then that some stuff of these historical figures will be found. There are some interesting aspects to those diggings but lets not digress.

I want to suggest trying to focus our energy and time on just one or two main points at the time, zooming in on the heart of the matter, which I suspect is a way broader and more philosophical issue.

And also these kind of posts are just too long for me to type, let alone to read for anyone here! :)