Death Is

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Frank,
'I am unenlightened'....

'I can correctly describe enlightenment'....

'My judgements upon who is or isn't enlightened are correct'...

Is this your drift?
I don't think my judgements are always correct. I could be wrong, and maybe David Quinn is enlightened. I was thinking about that the other day while driving around town. But what does it matter?

What matters is the definition of enlightenment, and its implications...which I've discussed here already.
- Scott
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

If self is delusion, does that make an amoeba enlightened?
I don't know...what does it matter?
- Scott
frank

Post by frank »

scott:.
But what does it matter?
It doesn't.

It's empty and meaningless that it's empty and meaningless.

It's just a Story.

A few concepts cobbled together to make a 'picture'...a picture attempting to structure 'reality' in a few sentences...
meaning making.
meaning making machines.
realising 'our true Nature' ie, meaning making machines...

frank
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

A while ago already:
Frank wrote:The true spirit of Post Modernism was meant to be 'open-minded to Meaning wherever it sprung from'...
Nah, that's called: making it up as one goes along.
Frank wrote:Science, thinking the Universe is an artifact with which you can cut this out and cut that out without consequences...could mean doom for us...
Philosophers can contribute Wisdom...the Wisdom of the intense connection of Things...
There is no 'intense connection' without at least some observation and logic to see the connecting going on. Science at the core is not much different but more formalized.
Frank wrote:Just that lexicon thang masculinity/femininity wounds rather than heals...delusion, ignorance/ wisdom could be interchanged.
A lot of wounding sometimes before one gets to the real cut.
Frank wrote:Philosophy is meant to 'transform' rather than possibly ridicule..
Love is transformation. Perhaps two words for the same? And it transforms toward the object of love.
Frank wrote:Philosophy is best dressed and most effective in a Language of Kindness and Compassion and Connection which best reflects it's essential Message.
Wisdom cannot help but radiating, and understanding cannot help but breeding compassion. But it also brings the sword, divides families, upsets power brokers and shocks hypocrites. A shepherd is not much like his sheep, though he understands their language, their needs and fears.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

A while back,
Sue hindmarsh wrote:
Sue wrote:For example: I used to keep in a cage a fake budgie which was always being mistaken as a real one.
Diebert wrote:The important thing here is that you knew it was fake and you observed others being mistaken about it, or appearing to be.
Sue wrote:It appeared fake to me, but it is impossible for me to be certain if it was real, or fake.
Certainty when it comes to appearances might be impossible but one has to take ones best stab at it. And live or die accordingly. And since you write later on that self-awareness is nothing other than another appearance, are you saying here that there cannot be certainty about anything at all? Any degrees perhaps here? What about working assumptions?
Sue wrote:The people who use the fake budgie to go down into the mine will die. They were caused to see the fake budgie as real. The miners that take a real budgie down the mine have a greater chance of survival, but they too are caused. Either way, both scenarios are but the whim of Nature.
Of course. And it appears to be also true that one tries to improve chances on survival with every breath one takes. Perhaps no absolute truth but the wise will work with it as a given nevertheless.
Sue wrote:A “delusional process of observation” is to consider “self-awareness” to be anything other than an appearance.
I think the delusion starts when there is not enough drive to truth, to differentiate one appearance from another and therefore correctly relate them. Self-awareness of a sage is as appearance not equal to the awareness of a slug getting aware of another slug in the yard. The difference is valued, only by the sage of course, by a whim of Nature.
Sue wrote:All we have is the abstract world of the mind: therefore, it is the only reality we can ever know.
That understanding is also an abstract residing in your mind. Since you claim you cannot know anything outside the mind, how can you tell where the minds starts or ends? To have a border, one has to accept a reality outside the mind. To not have a border means the mind is the universe but we're back to where we started since we know only a little of the content of our mind.
Sue wrote:Is the moon that can’t be known in its “fullness” outside our minds?
Depends where you think your mind ends.
frank

Post by frank »

Frank wrote:
The true spirit of Post Modernism was meant to be 'open-minded to Meaning wherever it sprung from'...

Diebert wrote:
Nah, that's called: making it up as one goes along.
In the absence of Absolute Truth...
We are still trying to get it defined...
All efforts so far are 'stabs in the dark'...
We make it up.
We postulate Theories and in Time watch them collapse to be replaced by newer versions.
We are Meaning Makers.
There is no 'intense connection' without at least some observation and logic to see the connecting going on. Science at the core is not much different but more formalized.
'Mad' Scientists want to play with 'things'...like a kid in a chemistry class...consequences seem to be of secondary importance.
Philosophers tend to 'care for Life' and can educate people about the intense connection of things and guide humanity into safer waters 'in order to' persist.
A lot of wounding sometimes before one gets to the real cut.
There is pain and confusion as one separates from the Cultural Conditioning forced on one as a Child.
Love is transformation. Perhaps two words for the same? And it transforms toward the object of love.
Love transforms as Philosophy does.
Philosophy as an activity is an Act of Love in that reverence for 'what is' culminates eventually.
Wisdom cannot help but radiating, and understanding cannot help but breeding compassion. But it also brings the sword, divides families, upsets power brokers and shocks hypocrites. A shepherd is not much like his sheep, though he understands their language, their needs and fears.
Wisdom doesn't divide families per se...it divides co-dependance in families...
If to be free of co-dependance also means family members need to not see each other then so be it..that would be Wisdom...everything is still connected, just different forms of connection...

Philosophers are kinda like Shepherds aren't they?
Having a keener perception of the Nature of Things they guide the flock into more secure situations 'in order to' cause the ability of the flock to persist..

Everything is 'in order to' get something..it's Activity...
The only point I can see for the Human Race is to try and persist as far into Time as possible...and that would involve colonizing planets for us to inhabit for at least the time those planets could sustain us and our ways...

Go Humans!

frank
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Diebert wrote:
Sue: It appeared fake to me, but it is impossible for me to be certain if it was real, or fake.
Certainty when it comes to appearances might be impossible but one has to take ones best stab at it. And live or die accordingly. And since you write later on that self-awareness is nothing other than another appearance, are you saying here that there cannot be certainty about anything at all? Any degrees perhaps here? What about working assumptions?
We can be certain that what appears to us; appears to us. We can also be certain that the budgies fakeness or realness is uncertain, as we can never experience anything other than our mental world. We can’t in any way control what appears to us, therefore the best we can do is work with what comes up.

There is no need to make “working assumptions” about the things that appear to us, since what appears to us – appears to us. When we start making assumptions, we immediately fall into error: that is, we make things what they are not.
Of course. And it appears to be also true that one tries to improve chances on survival with every breath one takes. Perhaps no absolute truth but the wise will work with it as a given nevertheless.
I’m not sure what you’re driving at. Are you saying that a wise person believes in a self that strives to survive?
Sue: A “delusional process of observation” is to consider “self-awareness” to be anything other than an appearance.
I think the delusion starts when there is not enough drive to truth, to differentiate one appearance from another and therefore correctly relate them.
Yes, a mind that is free from all prejudice, emotion and egotism simply apprehends the truth of each moment as it arises. Most people are not able to do this, because their attachments muddy their vision.
Self-awareness of a sage is as appearance not equal to the awareness of a slug getting aware of another slug in the yard. The difference is valued, only by the sage of course, by a whim of Nature.
Being able to consciously differentiate between what is true and what is delusional is valued by the sage only because he values Truth above all else. The slug, though unconscious, is above most humans in that it acts in accordance with Nature, and doesn’t make things what they are not.
Sue: All we have is the abstract world of the mind: therefore, it is the only reality we can ever know.
That understanding is also an abstract residing in your mind. Since you claim you cannot know anything outside the mind, how can you tell where the minds starts or ends? To have a border, one has to accept a reality outside the mind. To not have a border means the mind is the universe but we're back to where we started since we know only a little of the content of our mind.
The existence of the mind as a thing depends on causality; but because of this same causality, ‘the mind’ cannot exist. Using this knowledge, we can understand all there is to know about the mind, as well as everything else in the universe – since everything just boils down to causes.
Sue: Is the moon that can’t be known in its “fullness” outside our minds?
Depends where you think your mind ends.
If the mind had a beginning and an end, that is: if it existed independently from everything else in the universe, it wouldn’t be able to interact with anything; making it useless at the job it does now. Only causally can it do all that it does, which means that it has neither a beginning, nor an end.
-
Sue