Gurdjieff?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Andreas

Gurdjieff?

Post by Andreas »

Hello,

Are any of you familiar with the teachings of G. I. Gurdjieff? I've tried to familiarize myself with him via the internet, but I find it very hard to distinguish between the various (hopelessly conflicting) renditions of his ideas.

I've been a regular visitor to this forum for a while and would appreciate your opinions.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

In my limited opinion, Gurdjieff was reaching for the wisdom contained in this forum. I don't know much about him.
bert

Post by bert »

all I know is that Gurdjieff was a psychologist who agreed with conventional psychology on the different braincircuitries where the human interlapses in,and was very negative about the primitive circuits where humanity in recided.He promoted to get into the futuristic circuits.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

what are those different brain circuits whose existence conventional psychology agree upon?

I know people, whom I have a significant degree of respect for, who are involved with Gurdjieff's teachings, but from I've been able to gather his writings are a bit of a mishmash of new agey concepts (enneagrams, sacred music, stuff like that) and more traditional meditative approaches (constant self-rememberance, single-mindedness, etc.).
bert

Post by bert »

Andreas wrote:what are those different brain circuits whose existence conventional psychology agree upon?

I know people, whom I have a significant degree of respect for, who are involved with Gurdjieff's teachings, but from I've been able to gather his writings are a bit of a mishmash of new agey concepts (enneagrams, sacred music, stuff like that) and more traditional meditative approaches (constant self-rememberance, single-mindedness, etc.).
they refer to our states of being where we live in and what 'kind' of awareness comes with it.
along the timeline of species on earth there was an evolution to be recognized in behaviour and ability.
the first imprint was, by clames of scientists ,3-4 billion years ago,and freud named this the Oral (circuit);Jung called it sensation;Berne called it the Natural Child;Gurdjieff the Movement Center.
The second imprint was 500-1000 million yrs ago and Freud named it the Anal;Jung ,Feeling;berne,Adapted Child;Gurdjieff False emotional Center.
3rd imprint - 100.000 yrs:Jung named that reason,berne adult computer;gurdjieff false intellect center.
etc.,etc.

Timothy Leary found there to be 8 braincircuits,others did not came that far,they came to 4 or 5 or maybe 6 ...