Why did Weiniger kill himself?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
La Verdad

Why did Weiniger kill himself?

Post by La Verdad »

anyone know (I haven't snagged a biography yet)?
I know he had depression later on in life, though it's still kinda weird that he'd be so much greater than all the other men around him, and just end it all.
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

Check out this link, from Genius News:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/drowden/is ... tm#suicide
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Sums things up -- to a point. However, I do think Weininger must have been plagued by rather serious depression. I think depression is normal. It is the people who are not depressed who are insane -- in the western world, at least.

I am "western" and more interested in living in the western world than the "oriental." I think part of the reason oriental philosophy preaches disattachment is that there is not much for attaching.

This is why the underclass in India is not attached to life. Why would you be attached to life when it is so miserable? It is not a wonder that in India death is welcoming and brings joy.

I don't think Weininger ever had to pull a rickshaw. I don't think he suffered from lack of education. He could have had a good western life before him.

Ample reason for depression.

Faizi
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

As far as I know, he never displayed any of the lethargy that is usually associated with depression. But it's possible that depression was just starting to come on when he killed himself.

I personally think he became mentally unbalanced from too much intensity and exertion. Burn-out, in other words.

-