Mathematics is a model

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Matt Gregory

Mathematics is a model

Post by Matt Gregory »

Monolith wrote:
Fractal recursion along with the rest of Mathematics are pure Truths and are soulfully responsible for the formation of reality. It is a field of relations harmonizing to play the perfect chord of self(in fractally repeating patterns of evolving complexity.) He who wishes to deny the omnipotent control of mathematics is a mindless fool and will crumble to dust as a result. It sounds as though this place has become infected with argumentative egoism. I suggest we clean house!
No, you are the fool. Mathematics is just a model. You could theoretically model the universe with Legos, too, but in practice any method you use has limitations. There's no substitute for the universe itself.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

He who wishes to deny the omnipotent control of mathematics is a mindless fool and will crumble to dust as a result.
Amazing.

We're all going to hell in the name of maths, now.

[shakes her head]
Terry

Post by Terry »

Monolith wrote:Fractal recursion along with the rest of Mathematics are pure Truths and are soulfully responsible for the formation of reality. It is a field of relations harmonizing to play the perfect chord of self(in fractally repeating patterns of evolving complexity.) He who wishes to deny the omnipotent control of mathematics is a mindless fool and will crumble to dust as a result. It sounds as though this place has become infected with argumentative egoism. I suggest we clean house!
I agree. It's time we brandish mathematical textbooks and launch them at one another. No one can resist the overpowering weight of true mathematics!
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Could you be any more boring? With your little humdrum quips, you would have to be one of the most tedious individuals I have come across, Terry.

I once had an interesting discussion with Victor Danilchenko, the warrior from the old Ponderer's Guild (now called "Common Ascent") about math and spirituality.

We also had a stimulating discussion about the limitations of science in general.

-
Terry

Post by Terry »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:Could you be any more boring? With your little humdrum quips, you would have to be one of the most tedious individuals I have come across, Terry.

I once had an interesting discussion with Victor Danilchenko, the warrior from the old Ponderer's Guild (now called "Common Ascent") about math and spirituality.

We also had a stimulating discussion about the limitations of science in general.

-
My aim is to hit new lows in amusement.

I am honored to know that at least someone finds me (almost) absolutely boring and tedious. God forbid someone finds me entertaining---that would mean I'm pandering to the masses.

So...Yes, thank you for the compliment! All the more reason to stay here.
Leyla Shen

The Omnipotent Control of Mathematics (and Words)?

Post by Leyla Shen »

I have to say, though, seems science at least has a sense of humour.

Biblical sets, apparently, are just as valid as scientific ones. You may be able to produce much different effects with them, but effects they are, nonetheless.

Calls to mind the Mitochondrial “Eve.”

Seemed, for some, to affirm the Biblical origin of species. But she was traced back to Africa. That had to hurt.

And then comes Y-chromosome Adam. But, he lacks the same significance because the Y-chromosome is only found in males (unlike mitochondrial DNA, which is not only present in both men and women but matrilineal). So, the sets are much smaller (both in quantity and, thus, time-span) in retrospectively tracing YcAdam than they are in Mitochondrial Eve.

His obvious and relative insignificance notwithstanding, how do two people of the opposite sex copulate when they lived tens of thousands of years apart?

Maths.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I am honored to know that at least someone finds me (almost) absolutely boring and tedious. God forbid someone finds me entertaining---that would mean I'm pandering to the masses.

I find you entertaining. I think its because I don’t find any masculine glory in truth, unlike many here.

You remind me of a perhaps more sophisticated version of a chappie called "Tumbleman". I like the way you mix a bit of truth in with your mocking.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Do you frequent Tumbleman's site, James?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Nope. Months ago nothing was happening, so I didn't bother going back. Really only post at Common Ascent, here (seldom now - getting too repetative) and occassionally at an investment site (my first forum experience, but I'm not into shares any more) - and generally posting less and less as time goes by.
R. Steven Coyle

Post by R. Steven Coyle »

Mathematics, as an abstract language, is a model: but, its empirical nature could potentially be synthed together with the certainty of philosophical truth. For instance, the stasis flux of Tao:

# = X (+/-) 1 = [1]

#: Tao, Greek Letter
X: A=A
(+/-): Consciousness/Unconsciousness
1: Self
[1]: Nature (Unified Through Causality)

Abstraction + abstraction, the merger of uncertainty and certainty. In a sense, empiricially pursuing the Infinite.