The Invalidity of Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

N0X23:
Once again, this has nothing to do with you.
I hope not - in that case I would have been miserable at sharing.

Good to see you pushing for all its worth to find what you are looking for. God is an all or nothing proposition.

Good Journey to you my friend.
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Quinn

For your point to be taken seriously, you need to explain how a person who is free of attachments can experience loss (and therefore suffering). Simple chest-beating on your part isn't going to convince anyone. Exercise some logic, for a change.
And so if your child were to be stricken with cancer and slowly and agonizingly withered away over a five year period, you would simply be indifferent to his/her suffering?
And you would feel nothing for your child?
Even if a sage were to experience physical pain, he still wouldn't suffer. For he no longer craves any particular kind of state, and thus, no longer feels any (emotional) need to escape whatever situation he is in.

So if you walked in on a monster raping your wife, you would simply just stand there feeling nothing? Doing nothing to stop his actions?

DQ: The mode of complete non-attachment is a permanent, static state which is perfectly consistent with the flowing, everchanging nature of the Universe. The unattached person is fully immersed in the flow of Nature, yet always remains unattached.

N: Non-attachment is dependent on attachment, it is dependently caused, it is therefore impermanent and unsatisfactory, which results in the perpetuation of human suffering. That which is dependent and intrinsically empty is not permanent.

This sounds scripted to me.
More false thoughts, David.
The non-attachment of enlightenment simply depends upon a wise brain that comprehends the nature of Reality and the elimination of attachments.
So then, like I said. If it is dependent, it IS impermanent and therefore can NOT be a static and/or permanent state as you claim.

And you claim that my conception of enlightenment is a joke...Ha!

The path to enlightenment can really only be travelled by healthy, stable individals who are looking to rid themselves of the suffering of spiritual ignorance. It isn't really for deeply hurt individuals who are thrashing around in a sea of past traumas.

In effect, it is a cure for the well, not the sick. The sick first have to become well, before they can make a bid for enlightenment. Psychotherapy thus has its place.

If a person is starving, he needs food before he can strive for enlightenment. Otherwise, he won't have the capacity or strength to go very far.
Well, for all intents and purposes and if you had the integrity, your argument should end here, David
You’ve in fact reenforced my initial declaration that "Enlightenment is entirely, 100% ,unadulterated bullshit. Philosophical, New-Age, or otherwise. A dogmatic hang-over from the archaic past." ..."as effective as a prescription of Bloodletting, or as valid as a flat Earth."

Absolute, pure, mental masturbation for Brahmans, Kings and social leeches....er...ahh..I mean Sages, such as your self.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

N0X23 wrote:Absolute, pure, mental masturbation for Brahmans, Kings and social leeches...
About this "mental masturbation", does it involve also mental sperm and where does it go? Could it impregnate thought? Or do we need a mind fuck for that?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Nox,
DQ: For your point to be taken seriously, you need to explain how a person who is free of attachments can experience loss (and therefore suffering). Simple chest-beating on your part isn't going to convince anyone. Exercise some logic, for a change.

N: And so if your child were to be stricken with cancer and slowly and agonizingly withered away over a five year period, you would simply be indifferent to his/her suffering?
And you would feel nothing for your child?

To the degree that I experience any emotional reaction, I am deluded and still under the grip of egotism. It would demonstrate that my mind is still gripped by the spell of things inherently existing, that I am still ignorant of the nature of Reality.

This doesn't mean that the converse is necessarily true, of course. The absence of emotional reactions in a person might simply be due to his skills in mental suppression, and not to any wisdom he might have. The fully-enlightened sage doesn't engage in any kind of suppression, and yet he still never experiences any emotion. There are no emotions inside him to either express or suppress.

DQ: Even if a sage were to experience physical pain, he still wouldn't suffer. For he no longer craves any particular kind of state, and thus, no longer feels any (emotional) need to escape whatever situation he is in.

N: So if you walked in on a monster raping your wife, you would simply just stand there feeling nothing? Doing nothing to stop his actions?

Which part of non-attachment don't you understand?

A sage operates spontaneously and unemotionally for the cause of wisdom. This is his nature. His decisions in each situation are entirely shaped by this.

DQ: The mode of complete non-attachment is a permanent, static state which is perfectly consistent with the flowing, everchanging nature of the Universe. The unattached person is fully immersed in the flow of Nature, yet always remains unattached.

N: N: Non-attachment is dependent on attachment, it is dependently caused, it is therefore impermanent and unsatisfactory, which results in the perpetuation of human suffering. That which is dependent and intrinsically empty is not permanent.

DQ: This sounds scripted to me.

N: More false thoughts, David.

Okay, so how is non-attachment dependent on attachment?

DQ: The non-attachment of enlightenment simply depends upon a wise brain that comprehends the nature of Reality and the elimination of attachments.

n: So then, like I said. If it is dependent, it IS impermanent and therefore can NOT be a static and/or permanent state as you claim.

No, it is permanent and static. Once the enlightened person successfully reaches the mode of non-attachment, he never leaves it again. Even in death, he is still without attachments. He is free of all attachments - forever.

DQ: The path to enlightenment can really only be travelled by healthy, stable individals who are looking to rid themselves of the suffering of spiritual ignorance. It isn't really for deeply hurt individuals who are thrashing around in a sea of past traumas.
In effect, it is a cure for the well, not the sick. The sick first have to become well, before they can make a bid for enlightenment. Psychotherapy thus has its place.

If a person is starving, he needs food before he can strive for enlightenment. Otherwise, he won't have the capacity or strength to go very far.

N: Well, for all intents and purposes and if you had the integrity, your argument should end here, David
You’ve in fact reenforced my initial declaration that "Enlightenment is entirely, 100% ,unadulterated bullshit. Philosophical, New-Age, or otherwise. A dogmatic hang-over from the archaic past." ..."as effective as a prescription of Bloodletting, or as valid as a flat Earth."

Absolute, pure, mental masturbation for Brahmans, Kings and social leeches....er...ahh..I mean Sages, such as your self.

You will have to explain what you mean. It's easy enough to throw around accusations, but if you want to be convincing you need to back them up with solid reasons.

-
Jason

Post by Jason »

DQ: The non-attachment of enlightenment simply depends upon a wise brain that comprehends the nature of Reality and the elimination of attachments.

N: So then, like I said. If it is dependent, it IS impermanent and therefore can NOT be a static and/or permanent state as you claim.

DQ: No, it is permanent and static. Once the enlightened person successfully reaches the mode of non-attachment, he never leaves it again. Even in death, he is still without attachments. He is free of all attachments - forever.
The enlightened person could get brain-damaged, which then causes him to lose this mode of non-attachment.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

If his egotistical pathways have truly been wiped away, then not even damage to the brain can bring them back. Instead, the result would be a functionally-impaired Buddha - depending on which parts of his brain have been damaged, of course.

-
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Sapius
You know what, you may be right, but it all depends on how you have come to understand what that word means or what is it that is supposed to happen, that is, if anything is supposed to "happen" at all. In any case, I prefer not to get stuck up with any particular word especially when others define it differently. As far as I'm concerned, it is nothing more than understanding the truth of existence through logic and reasoning

It’s not the definition that I have an issue with, it’s all the erroneous claims that Enlightened Buddhas have maintained for the past 3000 years.
Once that is understood and accepted, all that would happen is a permanent change of perspective, and how you interact with your environment then on.
But perspective can not change to a permanent state. All that perspective is dependent on, is in itself impermanent.

This is the bullshit Quinn is trying to pass off. A permanent state dependent on impermanent factors.

Just that I may understand your POV better; how do you define enlightenment?
I will use one their definition’s

“To see things as they truly are”

Ultimately, it’s not how I define enlightenment that matters, that is the responsibility of the people who sell this snake-oil.

Me
Have you experienced a permanent state of non-suffering?
Have you removed ALL false thoughts?

sschaula
No. States are generally not permanent. I've removed all false thoughts momentarily, then the falseness appeared again. I've never consistently removed all false thoughts.
So then when you say...
“I don't assume it is. It generally is.” You are in fact assuming. You are being lead around by the proverbial leash. Your certainty is entirely faith based.

me
But if he's enlightened, he is free of all false thoughts. How is he experiencing false thoughts if he is enlightened?

sschaula
Obviously, he's not perfectly enlightened if he experiences false thoughts.

If he experiences false thoughts he is NOT enlightened. To be enlightened and still experiences false thoughts is like being almost pregnant. It’s an all or nothing proposition.
Ultimate truth is undeniable. If you choose to deny the blatant truth, you're only tricking yourself.
That’s fine, it may be undeniable, so what. Does it alleviate human suffering? No.

Diebert van Rhijn
About this "mental masturbation", does it involve also mental sperm and where does it go? Could it impregnate thought? Or do we need a mind fuck for that?
Exactly, Diebert! Nothing but concepts built on myth, ambagious metaphor and pointless allegory.
Same old tired shit. Nothing tangible, or real about it. Always what the finger is pointing at, but even then, not that....neti neti, forever in ones peripheral. If you think it’s this, it’s that, if you know it’s that... nope, your deluded, your brain is tricking itself, it’s not that, it’s really here.... oh okay, I see...nope, if you see it, you don’t really see it....and on and on and on...Please, Diebert, spare us another mind fuck, we are wading chest deep in that bullshit! ;)

DavidQuinn
To the degree that I experience any emotional reaction, I am deluded and still under the grip of egotism. It would demonstrate that my mind is still gripped by the spell of things inherently existing, that I am still ignorant of the nature of Reality.
This doesn't mean that the converse is necessarily true, of course. The absence of emotional reactions in a person might simply be due to his skills in mental suppression, and not to any wisdom he might have. The fully-enlightened sage doesn't engage in any kind of suppression, and yet he still never experiences any emotion. There are no emotions inside him to either express or suppress.

So as you watched your child suffer unbearably through the bleeding gums, vomiting., seizures and suffocation, you would feel absolutely nothing for your child. No more important to you, than a disease-infested rat, dying in a septic pool.
Wow, that’s fucking nice.
Does your child know that you feel nothing for him? That you wouldn’t give a shit whether or not, he lives, suffers or dies?
Which part of non-attachment don't you understand?

A sage operates spontaneously and unemotionally for the cause of wisdom. This is his nature. His decisions in each situation are entirely shaped by this.
Oh I get it now....So then if you walked in on this horrific scene, but at the same time, some street-corner preacher, was soap-boxing against Wisdom. Promoting ignorance and the crowd was being influenced and deluded by this ignorance. You would leave your wife to the rapist and tend to the UnWise preacher instead. Got it, all in the name of Wisdom!
Okay, so how is non-attachment dependent on attachment?
Well, obviously, if we remove attachment from non-attachment all we are left with is, non. What part of dependently originated, inherently empty and impermanent don’t you get?
No, it is permanent and static. Once the enlightened person successfully reaches the mode of non-attachment, he never leaves it again. Even in death, he is still without attachments. He is free of all attachments - forever.

You will have to explain what you mean. It's easy enough to throw around accusations, but if you want to be convincing you need to back them up with solid reasons.
Pye

Post by Pye »

NOX, I am curious - what will you do now? I mean, when you're done fighting, rejecting enlightenment here. What (other) activity is now in store for your thinking-life, your life?

Whoa, fundamentalism falls hard, doesn't it . . . . I remembered you here once as an incisive and stern-ish schoolmaster -- making the rare appearance, correcting, cracking rulers down on knuckles here and there . . . .

best wishes to your address to suffering, no matter.

Sapius

Post by Sapius »

NOX,
It’s not the definition that I have an issue with, it’s all the erroneous claims that Enlightened Buddhas have maintained for the past 3000 years.
Well, I try to think for myself rather than simply listen, believe and follow. I think that is what you have been doing very earnestly without first analyzing it. Why are you bothered with what one claims? If you really have the fire to know about existence for your self then none of the others claims really matter. You are all alone when it comes to your mind.
But perspective can not change to a permanent state. All that perspective is dependent on, is in itself impermanent.
I don’t get this. If I know something, I know, how can that turn into un-know? Unless I burst my brain cells for some reason. In any case, truth would however remain irrelevant of the knower, and the knower doesn’t seem to last long, let alone his “state”.
This is the bullshit Quinn is trying to pass off. A permanent state dependent on impermanent factors.
In my opinion, permanency of a certain perspective is all that one can have until the perceiver is caused to un-perceive. And that is definite for no-thing could be permanent except the flow.
“To see things as they truly are”
I see nothing wrong with that. Things are truly as they are. Life is life, death is death, and sufferings are sufferings. I’m told that the Buddha’s quest was initiated because he wanted to eliminate the sufferings of sickness, old age and death, and yet here we are with all the three, but the fact of the matter most probably is, that that is existence and cannot be avoided for absolutely any reason, so why lament about and over these “sufferings”? They are exactly what they are, face it! And be done with it.
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Pye
NOX, I am curious - what will you do now? I mean, when you're done fighting, rejecting enlightenment here.
What (other) activity is now in store for your thinking-life, your life
?

What I have always done. Live my life. Nothing has changed for me, this is no different then when I found Christianity to be contradictory and dreadful mythology. Enlightenment is just another dogmatic assertion, debunked by it’s own inability to actual provide any useful, or tangible results beyond faith and intellectualization.
Whoa, fundamentalism falls hard, doesn't it . . . ..
I was never a Fundamentalist. I set out in the beginning as an agnostic, to see if there is anything to the claims of Enlightenment, I maintained this agnostic mentality for years, throughout my entire investigation, right up until I concluded that it is NO different the any archaic ideology, or superstition.
I remembered you here once as an incisive and stern-ish schoolmaster -- making the rare appearance, correcting, cracking rulers down on knuckles here and there . .
Interesting. How is what I am doing any different then what I did in the past?
Pye

Post by Pye »

Pye: I remembered you here once as an incisive and stern-ish schoolmaster -- making the rare appearance, correcting, cracking rulers down on knuckles here and there . .

NOX: Interesting. How is what I am doing any different then what I did in the past?
oh, no difference in form, to be sure. huge difference in content. I must have been asleep at the switch to have mistaken your corrections to people -- on buddhism, buddhist scripture, the Void, the errors in David Quinn's interpretations -- as "agnosticism." I have gaps in my attendance here, I admit, but I never once picked up the spirit of inquiry from you. I thought you were a flat-out serious Theravada person. Just a guy who understood everything and tended to point out who didn't.

No, I stick by that impression of fundamentalism and I find the force and energy of your complaints a witness to its falling.

p.s. I really didn't think "what will you do now" was a stupid question (not that you did) (or maybe you did). Clearly, you have been involved in consciousness-raising and seeking for some time. I was wondering if you were done with it. Or perhaps what was next in this endeavor. Or no-endeavor anymore.

Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

N0X23 wrote:Enlightenment is just another dogmatic assertion, debunked by it’s own inability to actual provide any useful, or tangible results beyond faith and intellectualization.
NOX23, could you give any indication what kind of results you would require to start reconsidering at least some of the 'erroneous claims' ?
Nothing has changed for me, this is no different then when I found Christianity to be contradictory and dreadful mythology
And it's hard to imagine that 'nothing has changed' for you. Following seriously a spiritual path, any such path, upsets and uproots all of our life. Even the 'erroneous' ones. If you'd really had crashed and burned, in some tangible way, it would prove at least you lived what you believed to be true, beyond intellectualizing.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Trying to have a rational discussion with N0X in this topic doesn't seem to work. He has an agenda...to show you that he's right. That enlightenment doesn't exist...that there's no way out of suffering. I don't see the purpose in his agenda.

He might be right, but the truth should be seen by all: there is no way to disprove something like enlightenment. The mere fact that there are still people arguing about it proves this.

I prefer discussions that have a point. I like it when people are open to the truth. I don't like people who have firm beliefs. Especially when they're wrong.

So basically, I don't know why people are still discussing this. It comes down to the fact that we don't know if enlightenment is real or not. So perhaps we should find out instead of yapping away. Yap yap yap yap.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Scott wrote:
there is no way to disprove something like enlightenment.
Exactly right. Only the enlightened person is in a position to verify whether enlightenment exists or not. Everyone else is too ignorant to do it, by definition.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Nox,
DQ: To the degree that I experience any emotional reaction, I am deluded and still under the grip of egotism. It would demonstrate that my mind is still gripped by the spell of things inherently existing, that I am still ignorant of the nature of Reality.

N: So as you watched your child suffer unbearably through the bleeding gums, vomiting., seizures and suffocation, you would feel absolutely nothing for your child. No more important to you, than a disease-infested rat, dying in a septic pool.
Wow, that’s fucking nice.

It's glorious!

Does your child know that you feel nothing for him? That you wouldn’t give a shit whether or not, he lives, suffers or dies?

When he's old enough and he comes onto this forum, you can ask him yourself. As the moment, he is a happy, intelligent, well-adjusted 14 year old. He has certainly benefited from my lack of love towards him.

DQ: Which part of non-attachment don't you understand?

N: Oh I get it now....So then if you walked in on this horrific scene, but at the same time, some street-corner preacher, was soap-boxing against Wisdom. Promoting ignorance and the crowd was being influenced and deluded by this ignorance. You would leave your wife to the rapist and tend to the UnWise preacher instead.

I may well do. Socrates used to neglect his family every day and leave them fending for themselves in great poverty as he went out into society and engaged in philosophical teaching. You can't measure something like that. His heart was overflowing with love.

Why do you have this sudden need to apply herdish, Oprah-style morality to the behaviours of an enlightened person? Why do you suddenly give it more weight than the Truth? You don't think this could be the source of your suffering?

DQ: Okay, so how is non-attachment dependent on attachment?

N: Well, obviously, if we remove attachment from non-attachment all we are left with is, non. What part of dependently originated, inherently empty and impermanent don’t you get?

If you're saying that non-attachment is dependent upon attachments being absent, I agree with you.

DQ: No, it is permanent and static. Once the enlightened person successfully reaches the mode of non-attachment, he never leaves it again. Even in death, he is still without attachments. He is free of all attachments - forever.

N: You will have to explain what you mean. It's easy enough to throw around accusations, but if you want to be convincing you need to back them up with solid reasons.

Becoming enlightened and shedding attachments is a stage of irreversible growth. When a butterfly sheds its cocoon and flies off into the air, it leaves behind its cocoon forever. It will never live inside another cocoon again, not even when it dies. Similarly, when a person breaks free of all attachments, he does so forever.

-

[edited for grammer - DQ]
Last edited by David Quinn on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

Post by Jason »

J: The enlightened person could get brain-damaged, which then causes him to lose this mode of non-attachment.

DQ: If his egotistical pathways have truly been wiped away, then not even damage to the brain can bring them back. Instead, the result would be a functionally-impaired Buddha - depending on which parts of his brain have been damaged, of course.
Bah, you're not a neuroscientist. What if it knocks out his higher reasoning brain areas and memory of all philosophy and his past life, and then without these he slowly begins to regain attachments like a child who lacks philosophy and a high level of rationality? Anyway, that's just the particulars, it not the heart of the issue. My point is that your last statement below is wrong(and might even be a flat out lie):

NOX: So then, like I said. If it is dependent, it IS impermanent and therefore can NOT be a static and/or permanent state as you claim.

DQ:Once the enlightened person successfully reaches the mode of non-attachment, he never leaves it again. Even in death, he is still without attachments. He is free of all attachments - forever.
You've gone overboard there trying to prove a point. You said yourself that non-attachment relies on a wise brain. Your version of non-atachment is dependent on causes, and causes can change. You can't know the future and can't guarantee non-attachment or a wise brain will remain forever. Reality giveth and Reality taketh away.

I am only pointing this out because I think it is a serious inconsistency in what you have said - I don't necessarily hold this view myself.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Jason,
J: The enlightened person could get brain-damaged, which then causes him to lose this mode of non-attachment.

DQ: If his egotistical pathways have truly been wiped away, then not even damage to the brain can bring them back. Instead, the result would be a functionally-impaired Buddha - depending on which parts of his brain have been damaged, of course.

J: Bah, you're not a neuroscientist. What if it knocks out his higher reasoning brain areas and memory of all philosophy and his past life, and then without these he slowly begins to regain attachments like a child who lacks philosophy and a high level of rationality?

But he would be in an entirely different situation to that of the child. The child has his ego programmed into him through the various phases of his growth from the foetus stage onwards. The ego pathways are layed down methodically as each stage of growth occurs. With a fully-grown Buddha, it is different. Not having access to the growth processes which can relay the ego pathways, the chances are he would simply become a semi-conscious simpleton in the absence of his memory and higher reasoning faculties.

Anyway, that's just the particulars, it not the heart of the issue. My point is that your last statement below is wrong(and might even be a flat out lie):

DQ:Once the enlightened person successfully reaches the mode of non-attachment, he never leaves it again. Even in death, he is still without attachments. He is free of all attachments - forever.

You've gone overboard there trying to prove a point. You said yourself that non-attachment relies on a wise brain. Your version of non-atachment is dependent on causes, and causes can change. You can't know the future and can't guarantee non-attachment or a wise brain will remain forever. Reality giveth and Reality taketh away.

His wisdom, knowledge and consciousness will surely pass away at some point, but this doesn't mean he will slip back into having attachments. On the contrary, he will have disappeared completely. Thus, it remains true that once an enlightened person sheds his attachments, he does so forever.

-
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Pye
oh, no difference in form, to be sure. huge difference in content. I must have been asleep at the switch to have mistaken your corrections to people -- on buddhism, buddhist scripture, the Void, the errors in David Quinn's interpretations -- as "agnosticism." I have gaps in my attendance here, I admit, but I never once picked up the spirit of inquiry from you. I thought you were a flat-out serious Theravada person. Just a guy who understood everything and tended to point out who didn't.
No, it was all very sincere inquiry.
I wanted to see how these existential theories hold up in real life situations. So I would present my position and see if there were any leaks.

p.s. I really didn't think "what will you do now" was a stupid question (not that you did) (or maybe you did). Clearly, you have been involved in consciousness-raising and seeking for some time. I was wondering if you were done with it. Or perhaps what was next in this endeavor. Or no-endeavor anymore.
My purpose and nature is Honesty, Truth and Wisdom. And this the reason that I am speaking out against these fraudulent claims, made by these deluded Gurus.

Diebert van Rhijn
NOX23, could you give any indication what kind of results you would require to start reconsidering at least some of the 'erroneous claims' ?
No, none. My certainty is resolute. I will not be tempted or confounded by ignorance.

sschaula
Trying to have a rational discussion with N0X in this topic doesn't seem to work. He has an agenda...to show you that he's right. That enlightenment doesn't exist...that there's no way out of suffering. I don't see the purpose in his agenda.
No. You are strongly mistaken. I do not claim that enlightenment doesn’t exist, as a matter of fact, I have claimed to be enlightened by definition, several times through out this thread. My contention is with the false claims that the proponents of enlightenment declare.
He might be right, but the truth should be seen by all: there is no way to disprove something like enlightenment. The mere fact that there are still people arguing about it proves this.

I am not trying to disprove enlightenment. Again your ignorant assumptions are way off base here.
I prefer discussions that have a point. I like it when people are open to the truth. I don't like people who have firm beliefs. Especially when they're wrong.
You prefer to maintain that semblance of hope. I mean you might actually have to consider that your seeking has been in vain and the ego will NOT let that happen.

So basically, I don't know why people are still discussing this. It comes down to the fact that we don't know if enlightenment is real or not. So perhaps we should find out instead of yapping away. Yap yap yap yap.
Your attempted dismissal of my position is simply a defense mechanism. Don’t worry illusions cant last forever, no matter how hard you try to perpetuate them.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

No. You are strongly mistaken. I do not claim that enlightenment doesn’t exist, as a matter of fact, I have claimed to be enlightened by definition, several times through out this thread.

Which is exactly why I think it's pointless talking to you. If I had the patience, I'd go back through this thread and count the times for you that you said enlightenment doesn't exist/it's bullshit. Go back and reread your posts, moron.

My contention is with the false claims that the proponents of enlightenment declare.

Like the removal of suffering? I don't believe you are enlightened enough to have a contention. If you were enlightened you wouldn't suffer, period. You want me to discuss the logic of that?

I am not trying to disprove enlightenment. Again your ignorant assumptions are way off base here.

Well, again, go back to the beginning of the thread and reread all of your posts.

You prefer to maintain that semblance of hope. I mean you might actually have to consider that your seeking has been in vain and the ego will NOT let that happen.

You think I haven't? I don't have any semblence of hope. You think I hope enlightenment exists? Why would I hope that, since I don't care if I suffer or not?

Again, your ignorant assumptions are way off base here.

Your attempted dismissal of my position is simply a defense mechanism. Don’t worry illusions cant last forever, no matter how hard you try to perpetuate them.

...your position is pretty easy to dismiss. "I'm enlightened. Enlightenment doesn't exist." Are you trying to be cute or something? You're trying to dismantle what everyone has TAUGHT YOU about enlightenment, and yet you claim that you are that?

What makes you enlightened? Answer that one question, instead of just quibbling with me, N0X. Stop being an intellectual prick and be honest with someone for once.

You don't need to respond to my whole post in little fragments, calling me ignorant and taunting me, saying "Illusions cant last forever." What are you? The philosophy king or something?

You can't even make a good point.
Jason

Post by Jason »

DavidQuinn000 wrote: His wisdom, knowledge and consciousness will surely pass away at some point, but this doesn't mean he will slip back into having attachments. On the contrary, he will have disappeared completely. Thus, it remains true that once an enlightened person sheds his attachments, he does so forever.
Well I didn't want to do this, but I'm going to have to bust out the infamous space-aliens on your arse. What if space aliens come around and zap him with their anti-non-attachment/pro-ego beam? What then? Enlightenment and non-attachment no longer. You enlightened folks must have a fear of space aliens to be sure - your last and greatest enemy.
bert

Post by bert »

funny reading...

man and his illusions...

'seen thisness'-'seen thatness'...

all knowledge moves towards bloodles catogories and nominalism ;an argument for occasional saturnalia.

shit:jumpers to
conclusions,generalizationists,malapropists,dream-fed wishful thinkers,self-hypnotized ideologists,materialists,maya-mongers,zombie-zenists,etc,etc...

most act with an 'end in thought'.and their arguments are only based on the fictional fulfillment of their discusting self-friction.

...and remember,you shall suffer all things and again suffer:until you have sufficient sufferance to accept all things.

who's frustrations are on their keyboard?

shall we take something to drink,something yummy..?
R. Steven Coyle

Post by R. Steven Coyle »

bert,

It is good to see you again.

Word is bond.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Jason,
DQ: His wisdom, knowledge and consciousness will surely pass away at some point, but this doesn't mean he will slip back into having attachments. On the contrary, he will have disappeared completely. Thus, it remains true that once an enlightened person sheds his attachments, he does so forever.

J: Well I didn't want to do this, but I'm going to have to bust out the infamous space-aliens on your arse. What if space aliens come around and zap him with their anti-non-attachment/pro-ego beam? What then? Enlightenment and non-attachment no longer. You enlightened folks must have a fear of space aliens to be sure - your last and greatest enemy.

Oh, it's a nightmare. Any sudden movement spooks us. It could be them. It could be them.

If a space alien were to wipe away a Buddha's enlightenment and knowledge, and plant a new ego in his brain, then in effect he would be killing the Buddha completely and replacing him with a brand new person. So the same basic scenario remains: the Buddha disappears without re-entering the realm of attachments.

-
Jason

Post by Jason »

DavidQuinn000 wrote: If a space alien were to wipe away a Buddha's enlightenment and knowledge, and plant a new ego in his brain, then in effect he would be killing the Buddha completely and replacing him with a brand new person. So the same basic scenario remains: the Buddha disappears without re-entering the realm of attachments.
David that answer would make the slimiest politician proud. It seems you've confirmed my suspicion that you have been deceitful about this issue all along.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Thank you. You are too kind.

-