The Invalidity of Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Diebert van Rhijn

Basically that's exactly what I think serious thinkers should do: invent it, derive it, conclude it for yourself.
How can someone invent a pre-existing concept?
I have concluded for myself, I am without doubt, and yet others seem to have an issue with my conclusions. So be it. That is simply their issue, their personal hang-up, not mine.
Not copying meaning over from somewhere or someone else. It's hard to avoid being influenced by what one hears, sees or is shown through our lives by others. But that's what it's all about: getting rid of all that. If there's any 'absolute' truth anywhere it will stick out, unavoidable and untainted by anyone else.
Whether you are following a prescribed method, or making your own path, you are still chasing a vapid dream. This is just another example of you projecting your hope, not mine.

Only self-knowledge or professional help might tell you why you are stressed or in pain. With that knowledge you can find out how to alleviate it as far as possible. But enlightenment I'd regard as something different altogether even though it leads through self-knowledge.
So both you and Quinn recommend “professional” help.
Once again, if Enlightenment could actual eliminate, or even lessen human suffering, why in the hell would you suggest seeking out other means?

So why do you suggest that self-knowledge is helpful and then state that it’s something different altogether?
Sounds like more of that typical Enlightenment double-talk.

So we have a simple choice here:
No. We have the illusion of choice.

or Enlightenment is bullshit, or your claim of being enlightened is bullshit and in error. The first possibility I think is impossible to prove but the second shouldn't be too hard to test with some cold hard reasoning.
The first one is easily proven through experience, as I have done. The second, could only be accurately tested by another is who is in fact themselves Enlightened.

If you would be really destroyed how can there be suffering that involves you?
How is there perception without a perceiver?
Which value or moral system is there in place to make this specific distinction between wanted and unwanted events?
The mind animated by consciousness creates distinctions.

I don't believe that. Humans operate by means of it all the time. Trust, loyalty, principles, unproven assumptions ... did you manage to function without those?
With the absence of volitional choice, who or what is there to trust, or at least considered valid, outside of ones direct experience?

Beingof1
Nox,
I think you know after our last meeting at the other forum I am the real deal. I say this so as to build your faith in what I am going to say to you.

I think nothing of the sort, not even close, you deluded egomaniac!
In all honesty, I vaguely remember even having a conversation with you.

You will never build my faith, ever.
You only want my faith to re-enforce your own delusional clap-trap.
Not a chance, you’re going to have find someone else to be your whore.

And you can keep your feeble, external validation crap. I don’t need it, or want it. Thanks anyways.

sschaula
The only thing I have a problem with is when he's typing emotionally (in anger or rage) and he says stupid things like this:

How exactly am I deceiving myself and who is it that is being deceived?
I am not angry, spazing, throwing a tantrum, or enraged. I am however speaking honestly, openly and without pretense.

And how exactly is my question any more stupid then Diebert van Rhijn asking me the very same question....”If you would be really destroyed how can there be suffering that involves you?” ?
It isn't.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Can you describe how you've eliminated false thoughts and still suffer? I mean, I've had my fair share of sudden insights into truth, and I've seen how my own ideas of myself are just an illusion...I don't see how if you've completely eliminated these delusions in your mind, you can still suffer. For those times when I have dismantled the ego, I experience peace. There's nothing more to suffer about.

So if you would, just describe what you think about this. I'm curious because part of me thinks you're trying to hint at something, and the other part of me thinks you're just being honest and you can't see through the very prominent logical flaw here.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

I'll comment on the interesting segments of your post, NOX23, as to keep it focused on what I perceive as more fundamental.
N0X23 wrote:
Diebert wrote:Basically that's exactly what I think serious thinkers should do: invent it, derive it, conclude it for yourself.
How can someone invent a pre-existing concept?
I thought it was your belief or expectancy which was pre-existing through 'scriptures'. At least it was never mine.
NOX23 wrote:
Diebert wrote:If you would be really destroyed how can there be suffering that involves you?
How is there perception without a perceiver?
Like perception implies a perceiver, suffering - as specific perception - implies a specific sufferer.

But suffering does not equal perception. It arises out of a complex of values, instinctive or not, that causes a strong emotional rejection of some unwanted situation. This is why it's said desire and hate create suffering.
NOX23 wrote:
Diebert wrote: Which value or moral system is there in place to make this specific distinction between wanted and unwanted events?
The mind animated by consciousness creates distinctions.
But is this creating all kinds of desires and dislikes, attachments, at the same time as well? And if so, would that be unavoidable?
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Nox:
I think nothing of the sort, not even close, you deluded egomaniac!
In all honesty, I vaguely remember even having a conversation with you.
Nice cover, you are very good at pushing buttons.

Most everyone wants freedom by talking, conceiving, being noticed, being admired, projecting pain etc. etc. etc. Funny how freedom is so simple and most everyone runs the opposite direction when truth is apparent.

It is painful to confront the demons of memory and reality. The solution is so very, very, simple and yet the ego hates the very thought as it continues to grip the identity of illusion of superiority.

To be void of envy and unforgiveness is the most certain sign of wholeness you can experience. Interesting how when forgiveness is brought up, the ego attacks, for survival is all it can know. The pain is a necessary componet of its identity and therefore; to retreat into idealism to hide the pain rather than eliminating it.

What is so wrong with forgiving? hmmmm - Have not heard a single logical reason not to experience such, so the grip becomes tighter and tighter and the demonizing of the messenger to provide cover for hiding.

What and how will forgiveness strengthen illusion? I take note none can come up with a single logical answer yet it is despised to the point of the ubsurd. Ubsurdity is the last defense of illusion and it will project its pain and temporary superiority to the last ditch attempt at survival.

You want to be free? Quite whining - role up your sleeves and learn how to forgive.

Here is a little reminder - just in case you forgot - of which you never responded to.
Beingofone

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It means to be completely at home with yourself and to enjoy your own private companionship. To be able to trust yourself with absolute abandon.
To center yourself so to speak so that the left and right hemispheres of your mind are centered and in sinc. To be fearless in your self approval.

This can only be acomplished with total self respect. The way to trust and respect yourself is the adventure of opening up your heart(will and intent) and mind. This requires humility and honesty in all experiences and thought.

You must delve deep within your self and always use the tool of forgiveness - as the one who is willing to forgive without condition is free to love(agape) and experience innocent abandon.

Once you care about yourself by knowing yourself so clearly that it is like looking through glass, it begins to expand out and encompass all. That is freedom from all parent/sibling phantoms and illusion that desires to live in and through you. It is freedom from external conformity of all types. You are not in fear of any desire or thought as you are unshackled to care.

You no longer have entertain any fantasy of being somewhere or someone else as the present moment is filled to the brim with wonder and expectation as it rekindles its own fascination as if learning is brand new.

The true test - how long you can be alone and completely misunderstood and rejected by everyone else, and still enjoy your life as if this does not matter at all.

namaste and maranatha

Nox quote:

"You know what? I think this is the best post I've ever done. And you know what? I deserve it! Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me!"

Congratulations on your well refined skills of cavity inducing, touchy-feelly, I’m okay, you’re okay, communication bypass.

Beingofone quote:

Hey N0X23 - you must be an expert at pushing others buttons.

If you can help me out by pointing to my emotional attachment or logical contradiction - I am all ears.

Nox quote:

Beingofone

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am speaking from experience as hard as that is to believe.

What experience was that?

Quote:

My path was over 25 years of seeking before I experienced what I am sharing.

What are you sharing?

Quote:

It means to be completely at home with yourself and to enjoy your own private companionship.

Is this intuition or experiential knowledge?

Quote:

Hey N0X23 - you must be an expert at pushing others buttons.

Interesting. Did I push yours?

Quote:
If you can help me out by pointing to my emotional attachment or logical contradiction - I am all ears.

Now Im a bit befuddled.
Why even pretend to listen to me, when you are blessed with supreme self confidence.
You are autonomous, wholly complete, a self-regulating system.
Why even feign interest in what I have to say regarding your attachments and contradictions?
Are you not fully aware of your attachments and contradictions, or the should I say the lack there of?

Beingofone quote:

NOX23:

Quote:
What experience was that?

What I said.

Quote:
What are you sharing?

What I posted.

Quote:
I said: It means to be completely at home with yourself and to enjoy your own private companionship.

Nox said: Is this intuition or experiential knowledge?

Experience.

Quote:
Interesting. Did I push yours?

Do you believe you did?

Quote:
Now Im a bit befuddled.
Why even pretend to listen to me, when you are blessed with supreme self confidence.

Lets see if we can`t clear up the mystery. Do you believe that what you say and think has merit and value? I happen to think so, do you agree?

Quote:
You are autonomous, wholly complete, a self-regulating system.
Why even feign interest in what I have to say regarding your attachments and contradictions?

It is genuine interest, you are not my boss, but by all means continue to digress.

Quote:
Are you not fully aware of your attachments and contradictions, or the should I say the lack there of?

Would Goofy or Donald Duck know if they were enlightened?
You are just playing word chess.

Interesting avatar; it has all the elements to evoke defense mechanisms.
A black man - good choice for obvious reasons.
A rifle - to evoke thoughts of death and mortality.
Observation while hidden - to evoke the thought of menace and exposure.
Business attire - to evoke an authority figure.
You have done your homework.

Do you entertain thoughts of enjoyment while poking others with a cattle prod while they are in a confined room to satisfy that emptiness you experience?
Do you think the truth is just another lie that is concealed with cleverness? Is your meaning in life to expose and manipulate the weaknesses of others for your own gratifying consolement? So you do not feel so 'very alone'?
Are you trying to expose others weaknesses right now because of you having been abused and you are trying to get a grip on why you were not loved the way you should have been but instead just barely tolerated? Is that why you are attempting to master the human mind? To control it and make it serve your purpose?
To evoke worship and heart felt adoration for your greatness?

Of course you will refute and deny this but you and I, we know the truth don`t we.

Open your mind and heart and believe there is innocence in your own soul Nox. There is purity and truth, it exists within you and you can never find it in me.
Same ground, same subject, same pain, same doubt, same demonizing of the Truth of freedom, same attempts at pushing emotional buttons, same degrading of the messenger.

What is so hard about forgiving that the ego screams as if a great injustice and cruelty was just committed?

If all you wannabes want to actually experience freedom - buck up, be a man, and take responsibility for the pain and learn the oh so simple value of the peace of forgiveness that cures all ills.

And you will quote to me this proverb:
Doctor, heal yourself
I challenge any one of you - step into the ring with me and give a logical reason why forgiveness is not sound. Or are you only capable of emotional ad homs?

Any takers?
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

If all you wannabes want to actually experience freedom - buck up, be a man, and take responsibility for the pain and learn the oh so simple value of the peace of forgiveness that cures all ills.

I am a man and I will buck up and forgive anyone I've held unforgiveable. I'm ready for freedom.

I challenge any one of you - step into the ring with me and give a logical reason why forgiveness is not sound. Or are you only capable of emotional ad homs?

Forgiving is strengthening your false identity.

If I am walking down the sidewalk and someone drives by and yells "Hey loser, why are you walking all alone, you got no friends?" to me, it can hurt my feelings. I could become bitter towards them and hold a grudge. You suggest that if I forgive them I will experience peace...but I think logically dismantling the delusions of who I am is a more direct route. Then there's no one to forgive. There's just this experience of various things, appearing as certain things. There's nothing that could cause suffering again.

You're basically giving people the easy and ineffective way. It's as if we're both trying to stop grass from growing. You suggest cutting it every once in a while, and I suggest pulling it out by the root.

...not really a logical argument against forgiveness, but I'm sure people can see the truth in it.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

sschaula:
I am a man and I will buck up and forgive anyone I've held unforgiveable. I'm ready for freedom.
Good sir, very good.
Forgiving is strengthening your false identity.
Forgiveness allows for surrender to pain so that it dissolves. To see it objectively rather than through emotional attchment.
If I am walking down the sidewalk and someone drives by and yells "Hey loser, why are you walking all alone, you got no friends?" to me, it can hurt my feelings.
If this incident can hurt your feelings, you are not yet empty of the experience. In other words, there is the ideal of being superior or inferior held in the mind to the offender by and through justification and/or judgment.

If your feelings are hurt, you are offended at being misunderstood. The mind begins to rationalize and seek to escape the pain.

It will come to the only conclusion it can to escape the pain either by believing in being a victim or superior to the offender.
I could become bitter towards them and hold a grudge. You suggest that if I forgive them I will experience peace...but I think logically dismantling the delusions of who I am is a more direct route. Then there's no one to forgive. There's just this experience of various things, appearing as certain things. There's nothing that could cause suffering again.
This is the intended goal, in this we see eye to eye.

In order to dismantle this experience one would have to be free from the emotional attachment to it. Forgiveness is the experience of being non-attached to the individual or the feelings of victim/victimizer.

If there is no longer any pain of hurt feelings, you are once again able to see clearly. It is amazing how that the moment you forgive someone you care deeply at the same time. Not in attachment but in liberty of non-attachment.

This cannot be accomplished by the denial of the experience, but in acceptance and embracing. To acknowledge the experience is the solution. To let it feel you and you feel it. You are allowing for the experience to flow through you so to speak as a non-attched observer.

Liberty is acheived by making a conscious choice to once again realign with purity. You forgive, experience relief through non-attachment, and once again realize the logic of nothing to forgive in the first place.

You "get out of the way" of logic and allow for liberty of compassion.

There is only the observance of the experience and freedom to be it in and of itself. The realization is that there really was no one to forgive, blame, or feel superior to.

Simply the eternal flux being witnessed through eternal observation.
It is all part and parcel to who I AM.
Diebert van Rhijn

Beingof1 wrote:I challenge any one of you - step into the ring with me and give a logical reason why forgiveness is not sound
Okay, but it's more about other things you're saying really:
the peace of forgiveness that cures all ills.
Does it cure cancer or contagious diseases? Or is it just doing away with the common meaning of the word 'illness'?
Liberty is achieved by making a conscious choice to once again realign with purity.
Realigning with purity? Aligning with some idea or experience you call purity? What is this purity?
Simply the eternal flux being witnessed through eternal observation.
Observation itself is already a flux (the flux), but the mechanics of relativity makes you believe it's some rock solid platform you witness from. Get over it!
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

sschaula
Can you describe how you've eliminated false thoughts and still suffer?

Why do you assume that suffering is a result of false thoughts?

So according to your dogmatic induced belief, David Quinn, who claims to be enlightened, is suffering due to his false thoughts about my childhood and the emotional state of my mind.

For those times when I have dismantled the ego, I experience peace. There's nothing more to suffer about.
Well, if your ego was dismantled and there’s nothing more to suffer about, why is your state of peace only temporary?

So what’s the difference between you’re temporary peace experienced by the dismantled ego, and someone who takes a Valium and gets a back massage?

And how exactly does one “dismantle” a thought?

And why was the peace temporary? Did the ego reposition itself?

Diebert van Rhijn
I thought it was your belief or expectancy which was pre-existing through 'scriptures'. At least it was never mine.
You stated the seeker should invent and follow their own path of Enlightenment.
But regardless of the slight variations employed by the seeker, they are all still chasing the same pre-existing concept of “Enlightenment”.

But why do you state that the seeker should invent and follow their own path to the cessation of suffering, and then declare that self-knowledge and professional help is the ONLY way?
Why the contradiction?
Like perception implies a perceiver, suffering - as specific perception - implies a specific sufferer.
A thermostat is capable or perception, it perceives the ambient temperature in the room. Are you implying that there’s a perceiver behind the thermostat’s’s perception?
But suffering does not equal perception. It arises out of a complex of values, instinctive or not, that causes a strong emotional rejection of some unwanted situation. This is why it's said desire and hate create suffering.

I didn’t imply that it did. Desire is simply an aspect of life. It is only the deluded fool who denies desire.

Hate is an obsessive form of anger. Admittedly, any obsession is unhealthy, even the obsession of perfecting the imperfect.

Anger is as natural as any other function of the body.
Just as digestion does not cease because of enlightenment, nor does anger.
But is this creating all kinds of desires and dislikes, attachments, at the same time as well?
Yes. As long as there is consciousness, there will be the effects of being conscious.
And if so, would that be unavoidable?
As long as one is caused to experience those things, yes, it would be unavoidable.
Diebert van Rhijn

N0X23 wrote: You stated the seeker should invent and follow their own path of Enlightenment. But regardless of the slight variations employed by the seeker, they are all still chasing the same pre-existing concept of “Enlightenment”.
Let me rephrase: I thought it was your concept which was pre-existing through the scriptures you have been reading. Some follow different approaches and don't care about what others say or write about it. If Enlightenment has anything to do with the universal or the absolute, it won't stay obscured because one lacks the theory or the proper definition.
But why do you state that the seeker should invent and follow their own path to the cessation of suffering, and then declare that self-knowledge and professional help is the ONLY way? Why the contradiction?
It's a matter of which problem one wants to solve. If it becomes clear the body is suffering from pain, disease or mental block caused by chemical unbalances, this could be addressed by using someone elses expertise or medicines, which only adds to ones knowledge about oneself - or the health to be able to. If one desires to address the larger notion of suffering, the 'problem of evil' - one can enter the path to cessation starting always with self-discovery.
A thermostat is capable or perception, it perceives the ambient temperature in the room. Are you implying that there’s a perceiver behind the thermostat's perception?
If there's some internal control sensor with memory it could be defined as perceiver as well, since it registers a change in ambient temperature. The sensor's perception is of course extremely limited because the context to where the registered value relates to is so limited. There's also no capacity for suffering. Now if it had build-in Artifical Intelligence it could be programmed to notice damage or performance issues. If advanced enough it could attempt self-repair by running self-diagnostics and isolating the erring code, perhaps replacing it with some more advanced evolutionary grown algorithm instead.
I didn’t imply that it did. Desire is simply an aspect of life. It is only the deluded fool who denies desire.
So at least you think it's possible to be deluded about the nature of desire, interesting. But yeah, dukkha is an aspect of life, like birth and death. Textbook Buddhism.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I don't assume it is. It generally is. If I am in love with a girl (a state of delusion) and she breaks my heart, I'll experience suffering. This is usually the case. If I don't fall in love, my heart doesn't get broken, and I don't experience the suffering.

So according to your dogmatic induced belief, David Quinn, who claims to be enlightened, is suffering due to his false thoughts about my childhood and the emotional state of my mind.

He could suffer as a result of his false thoughts. Just as having my heart broken would cause suffering, me falling in love produces happiness. So perhaps David's delusions about you don't cause him any suffering...and perhaps not any happiness...it all depends on what it means to him.

Well, if your ego was dismantled and there’s nothing more to suffer about, why is your state of peace only temporary?

Because the mind tricks itself and is forgetful. The ego isn't something real that you conquer...it's just a delusion of the mind. You can't grasp the delusion, and stab it to death. I could use an analogy of water coming from a faucet, where the ego is water. You can try to poke at it and kill it but it just bends and moves around each attempt. You can try to shoot it, but it briefly splashes and goes back to its downward pour. The suffering (the water hitting the sink) may stop briefly when you try to kill the ego, but it always comes back if you try to attack it in this way. It has to be blocked off at the source...the faucet. False thinking causes this down pouring, and logic is the puddy which stops the flow...and invariably stops the water from violently hitting the sink.

The puddy of logic has to be very thick and strong in order to stop such a high speed flow. It has to be applied to every part of the faucet at once, to ensure that no water pours. It has to be pressed hard against that faucet, so it doesn't come loose. This is how I fail. I don't know if anyone's clever, prepared or strong enough to defeat the mind.

It does remain a possibility, though. If you count it out, you're thinking a false thought.

So what’s the difference between you’re temporary peace experienced by the dismantled ego, and someone who takes a Valium and gets a back massage?

There's not much difference. Not-suffering is not-suffering. The difference I can see is that I don't seek out a state of not suffering, I just experience it as I'm curious about the true nature of things. It's a byproduct. A person who takes Valium and gets a massage does it because they're trying to escape their suffering. What they do is temporary, and what I do has the potential to be everlasting.

And how exactly does one “dismantle” a thought?

By seeing how it's untrue. Logic and truth are black and white, and with them you can see through any falseness.

And why was the peace temporary? Did the ego reposition itself?

I don't know anything about egos repositioning themselves.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Diebert van Rhijn:
Does it cure cancer or contagious diseases? Or is it just doing away with the common meaning of the word 'illness'?
It is reaching the place beyond all comparisons in the stillness of observation beyond being attached to good/bad suffering/bliss. The mind seeking relief is trapped in a world of comparing constantly changing perceptions from evolving points of reference.

Unforgiveness binds our perception to and in the temporal. We become a victim (even if we choose the role of predator) to the external in its constant state of flux.

One must be able to be beyond forgiveness to know what is and is not possible in the realm beyond all changing perceptions of the sick, suffering, and the disabled. There are no limits in a universe that has no boundedness. Everything is a possibility, and in an infinite universe everything that can happen will happen.
Realigning with purity? Aligning with some idea or experience you call purity? What is this purity?
Superb question: If we can empty our mind of all comparisons and go beyond the perceptions and concepts we find a place of stillness that allows us to accept and surrender. Empty the mind of all comparisons even for a second or two and keep returning to this place. If you are unable to empty your mind of comparisons, words, and images something is blocked and we must find what the "it" is and forgive.

The illusion is in the belief that something that can be compared is permanent. A concept from the mind is always subject to change when it does not meet the expectations of the fantasy of a projection of ideal reality.

The solution is in surrendering to every experience, use forgiveness when you know something is binding you to the ever present changing reality, and surrender to whatever may be.
Observation itself is already a flux (the flux), but the mechanics of relativity makes you believe it's some rock solid platform you witness from. Get over it!
Observation is as constant as the flux. It is simply what is; beyond all concepts of what the universe should or should not be like. We must surrender to what is, not what it is supposed to be.
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Beingof1
Nice cover, you are very good at pushing buttons.
This is the second time you’ve accused me of pushing your buttons. You are strongly mistaken! I have absolutely NO interest in you.
But you cant see this, your over-inflated sense of importance clouds every thought you conspire.
You assume that since you are infatuated with yourself, we all are.
I can assure you that your obsession with yourself is strictly subjective and contrary to your compulsive megalomania, we do not desire, or partake in your worship of yourself.

You want to be free? Quite whining - role up your sleeves and learn how to forgive.
And then what? Why do you assume that I haven’t already found the futility in holding on to past transgressions?

Interesting avatar; it has all the elements to evoke defense mechanisms.
A black man - good choice for obvious reasons.
A rifle - to evoke thoughts of death and mortality.
Observation while hidden - to evoke the thought of menace and exposure.
Business attire - to evoke an authority figure.
You have done your homework.
Ah yes, now I remember. You’re the enlightened racist.

“A black man - good choice for obvious reasons.”

My Avatar was that of Malcolm X, you bigot.
Do you entertain thoughts of enjoyment while poking others with a cattle prod while they are in a confined room to satisfy that emptiness you experience?
Are you accusing me of being a sadistic psychopath, because I said something blunt to you that hurt your feelings?
You’re like...” Why me?! Why in the world would any body disturb my insecure Opioid-like delusion of Enlightenment ?! It can’t be me, it must certainly be them. Yes that’s it, it’s their problem, once again!”

You’re simply playing the self-proclaimed, wounded victim script.
Do you think the truth is just another lie that is concealed with cleverness? Is your meaning in life to expose and manipulate the weaknesses of others for your own gratifying consolement? So you do not feel so 'very alone'?
Shit, and you accuse me of whining!
Are you trying to expose others weaknesses right now because of you having been abused and you are trying to get a grip on why you were not loved the way you should have been but instead just barely tolerated? Is that why you are attempting to master the human mind? To control it and make it serve your purpose?
To evoke worship and heart felt adoration for your greatness?
Ah, yes. This is know as projecting.
Especially this part...” To evoke worship and heart felt adoration for your greatness?”

This is where you inadvertently expose your own hidden agenda. ;)
Same ground, same subject, same pain, same doubt, same demonizing of the Truth of freedom, same attempts at pushing emotional buttons, same degrading of the messenger.
Yup, you’re still fishing for converts. Same old shit.

Any takers?
Your overwhelming sense of inferiority is tangible. Your post’s evoke nothing but apathetic commiseration in me.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Nox:
This is the second time you’ve accused me of pushing your buttons. You are strongly mistaken! I have absolutely NO interest in you.
Its about time - I thought it would take forever.
You assume that since you are infatuated with yourself, we all are.
You are the center of the universe, its your world, do with it as you will.
I can assure you that your obsession with yourself is strictly subjective and contrary to your compulsive megalomania, we do not desire, or partake in your worship of yourself.
This is progress in its truest form. The ego hates this kinda stuff.

Thank you sir may I have another.
Me: You want to be free? Quite whining - role up your sleeves and learn how to forgive.

Nox: And then what? Why do you assume that I haven’t already found the futility in holding on to past transgressions?
Then you are free to decide to do with your reality as you will. I would recommend compassion, as it keeps one in non-attachment.
Ah yes, now I remember. You’re the enlightened racist.

“A black man - good choice for obvious reasons.”

My Avatar was that of Malcolm X, you bigot.
That was Malcom X - I did not know. Ya learn something new everyday.
Are you accusing me of being a sadistic psychopath, because I said something blunt to you that hurt your feelings?
You’re like...” Why me?! Why in the world would any body disturb my insecure Opioid-like delusion of Enlightenment ?! It can’t be me, it must certainly be them. Yes that’s it, it’s their problem, once again!”

You’re simply playing the self-proclaimed, wounded victim script.
I have been wounded, again and again - it just doesn`t hurt anymore. It used to hurt a great deal, now I have the tool of the infinite that is - forgiveness.

I forgive myself for being a wounded victim and I forgive my victimizer. I forgive myself for being a predator.

I am empty.
Shit, and you accuse me of whining!
If you see me as someone who is above you, you are not there. If you see me as being below you, you are not there.

If all you behold is what you enjoy - you see clearly.
This is where you inadvertently expose your own hidden agenda.
I already have a single perception. Yours would only cloud my clarity, you can keep it.
Yup, you’re still fishing for coverts. Same old shit.
Raise your right hand and repeat after me.
"I pledge allegiance to beingof1" - you have found enlightenment.
Your overwhelming sense inferiority is tangible. Your post’s evoke nothing but apathetic commiseration in me.
Is it that obvious?
Yup I am nothing and never can be somebody cause you don`t like me.

If you only thought I was somebody, I would be a person of worth, but since your perception of me is vital to my freedom. I must convince you of my enlightenment.

C`mon - get with the program and validate my need for acceptance.

Oh - never mind, I think I`ll just surrender to forgiveness instead and be empty again.
Diebert van Rhijn

sschaula wrote:
NOX23 wrote:So what’s the difference between you’re temporary peace experienced by the dismantled ego, and someone who takes a Valium and gets a back massage?
There's not much difference. Not-suffering is not-suffering. The difference I can see is that I don't seek out a state of not suffering, I just experience it as I'm curious about the true nature of things. It's a byproduct. A person who takes Valium and gets a massage does it because they're trying to escape their suffering. What they do is temporary, and what I do has the potential to be everlasting.
Things like Valium, massage and alcohol do the same thing: they enforce sedation or relaxation of the nervous and/or muscular system. They do not influence the cause of the tension, unless someone would become suddenly aware they had a tension 'under the skin' and starts exploring the causes.

Escaping suffering is also part of the cycle of suffering. What most call happiness is part of suffering since we're talking about a whole range of nervous reactions. Suffering contains both discharging (joy, spending) and recharging (depression, tired, need) events basically.
Beingof1 wrote:It is reaching the place beyond all comparisons in the stillness of observation
What is there to observe if there's nothing left to compare? What do you think observation is? The rest of your words are useless to debate if we cannot agree on how we define observation, perception, awareness, and so on. Because when you are saying things like "empty the mind of all comparisons" it reads for me: "becoming unconscious". No wonder it feels like a "place of stillness", but does it do any good? Isn't just the ego playing hide and seek in a non-judgemental safe-house?
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Diebert,
Freedom and enlightenment is not a theory. It is not a conceptual construction.

It is an experience that is beyond words, ideas, and thoughts.

Logic is useful to identify delusion but it cannot define freedom, Tao, God, or the Buddha awakening.

You cannot fake it. You either are it and it is you or you are suffering and seeking relief.

Reality is an absence of separation.
Diebert van Rhijn

Beingof1 wrote: Logic is useful to identify delusion but it cannot define freedom, Tao, God, or the Buddha awakening
I could go a long way with you but I can't help but see delusion in your statement: "it is reaching the place beyond all comparisons in the stillness of observation". By the use of logic I identified a possible delusion, a contradiction in the way you express your understanding. Your experience itself I cannot examine but we're not talking about that here which makes your last post in itself rather obsolete, a kind of red herring.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Nox wrote:
DQ: I'm sure they are. But have you really gone all the way with your investigation? Have you truly removed all of your delusions and mental blocks? Have you really pulled the entire ego out by the roots?

N: Yes. I am sure. No doubt remains.

DQ: You are deceiving yourself.

N: Right, right, of course I am.
How exactly am I deceiving myself and who is it that is being deceived?
Your brain has mistaken a limited spiritual attainment for true enlightenment.

DQ: The fact that you are still suffering demonstrates that you are still attached to things and thus still dwelling in egotism.

N: ALL humans suffer. The Buddha suffered from crippling migraines and look at how Unenlightened the Son of God acted when he was hanging on the cross.
There is no sufferer, just the act of suffering. Enlightenment does not cure anguish and stress.

For your point to be taken seriously, you need to explain how a person who is free of attachments can experience loss (and therefore suffering). Simple chest-beating on your part isn't going to convince anyone. Exercise some logic, for a change.

Even if a sage were to experience physical pain, he still wouldn't suffer. For he no longer craves any particular kind of state, and thus, no longer feels any (emotional) need to escape whatever situation he is in.

DQ: Your attachments are very real, and the suffering they are creating is also very real.

N: How can the real come from the illsorary?

Your question doesn't seem relevant. Both the attachments and the suffering are real, as is the delusion of self-existence which underlies the mentality of having attachments. It's all real.

And if they are real, as you are implying, then they have independently arises thru their own accord, and this being the case, they can not be annihilated. This only strengthens my declaration that Enlightenment can NOT cure these human ailments.

They are real in the sense that they are experiential phenomena, even though they lack inherent existence.

DQ: The mode of complete non-attachment is a permanent, static state which is perfectly consistent with the flowing, everchanging nature of the Universe. The unattached person is fully immersed in the flow of Nature, yet always remains unattached.

N: Non-attachment is dependent on attachment, it is dependently caused, it is therefore impermanent and unsatisfactory, which results in the perpetuation of human suffering. That which is dependent and intrinsically empty is not permanent.

This sounds scripted to me. The non-attachment of enlightenment simply depends upon a wise brain that comprehends the nature of Reality and the elimination of attachments.

DQ: The empirical evidence of your own failure doesn't constitute proof. You need to come up with something a bit more objective.

N: Again I did not fail, that is your ignorance, not mine.

DQ: For example, you would have to demonstrate that nobody in the entire history of the Universe has ever reached enlightenment and transcended suffering. Simply extrapolating from your own case isn't good enough.

N: I have to do NO such thing. Those are your requirements, not mine, they are entirely irrelevant to me. All that matters is what I can prove too myself, that’s it.

We have a stand-off, then. I have proven to myself that enlightenment is real and that it has the capacity to eliminate all suffering.

One of us must be wrong.

DQ: I am serious. This is a very important point. You're like a person who has studied musical theory and mastered the terminology, yet can still only play chopsticks on the piano. Your knowledge is still largely in the theoretical stage; it hasn't yet bedded down and transformed you inside and out.

N: Ass-backwards bullshit.
I did graduate from the theoretical and applied Enlightenment to a real world situation and it failed, fucking miserably.

No, you failed. Let's get it straight here.

DQ: One gets the impression that you have a lot of unresolved issues inside you which stem from a past hurt - possibly a childhood trauma.

N: Well according to Eastern thought the causes of our unresolved issues are as infinite as the Universe itself. But no, my childhood, was pretty uneventful. Nothing out of the ordinary, at all.

DQ: One also gets the impression that you have been trying to seek enlightenment as a means of escaping the effects of this trauma, as a substitute for facing this hurt more directly via psychotherapy.

N: I have delved into the depths of my psyche I am not running from any of my demons. I attack them head-on.

I like how you recommend psychotherapy though.

You are only strengthening the fact that Enlightenment does not cure the mental anguish that the sages claim it does.
See?
You know as well as I do that the claims of Enlightenment are utter bullshit!

The path to enlightenment can really only be travelled by healthy, stable individals who are looking to rid themselves of the suffering of spiritual ignorance. It isn't really for deeply hurt individuals who are thrashing around in a sea of past traumas.

In effect, it is a cure for the well, not the sick. The sick first have to become well, before they can make a bid for enlightenment. Psychotherapy thus has its place.

If a person is starving, he needs food before he can strive for enlightenment. Otherwise, he won't have the capacity or strength to go very far.

DQ: So while their consciousness might be aware of the Truth to some degree, the deeper part of their psyche still knows nothing about it.

N: So the deep part of the psyche are separate from consciousness?

When the mind is still dwelling in ignorance, it tends to divide itself up into separate compartments as a way to minimize suffering. A crude example would be the person who suppresses past traumas in order to block out the pain. Another example is men blocking out their emotions so that they can function objectively and efficiently under pressure. Everyone from pilots, to surgeons, to scientists, makes use of this function.

So it can happen that a person can become aware of the Truth via his more intellectual, cerebral parts of his brain, and not immediately transfer this information to the rest of his being. It takes time for him to dissolve these compartments and have the knowledge of enlightenment infiltrate all the hidden nooks and crannies.

DQ: Think of the ego as a false network of neuronal pathways in the brain which causes a person to behave deludedly, and you will see that it is indeed tangible and real.

N: Bullshit! The ego is real and tangible, riiiight. And you can also shake hands with your shadow...

It's as real as a faulty bug in a computer system.

DQ: Eliminating the "idea" of the ego is not enough. You are like a cancer sufferer who has tried to cure his cancer by seeing that it lacks inherent existence. What did you expect? That the cancer would magically disappear?

N: The ego is nothing like a mass of flesh, or rouge cancer cells, nothing.
The ego is a mental phenomenon, a though induced construct.
You can not hold a thought in your hands.
You can hold a tumor, though.

Again, the false pathways in the brain which generate deluded behaviour are physical, tangible and real. I find it interesting that you constantly block this reality out. Of course, you are perfectly free to block it out, if that's what you want to do, but it will only result in your continued spiritual failure to transcend all suffering.

And as far a comparable success rates go, Enlightenment is a fucking joke compared to real world techniques, like chemotherapy and neurosurgery. Once again nothing but hollow metaphors that don’t do shit for actual problems in real life.
At least if I had cancer I could do something that might actually give some realistic results. And not this Enlightenment bullshit.

Your current conception of enlightement is certainly a joke, I agree.

-
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Beingof1 wrote: Logic is useful to identify delusion but it cannot define freedom, Tao, God, or the Buddha awakening
I could go a long way with you but I can't help but see delusion in your statement: "it is reaching the place beyond all comparisons in the stillness of observation". By the use of logic I identified a possible delusion, a contradiction in the way you express your understanding. Your experience itself I cannot examine but we're not talking about that here which makes your last post in itself rather obsolete, a kind of red herring.
There is a space between each word .

There is a zen koan:
It is not the bars that holds the tiger in the cage, it is the space between the bars.
Diebert van Rhijn

Beingof1 wrote: There is a space between each word .

There is a zen koan:
It is not the bars that holds the tiger in the cage, it is the space between the bars.
Prove your understanding of these empty words, Being!

As a reminder, you started with: "I challenge any one of you - step into the ring with me and give a logical reason why forgiveness is not sound". And after a challenge of your posts came you quickly point to the 'spaces between your words'. To me it seems you're just hiding in a comfortable nest high in a tree, chirping impressive sounding zennish words that hopefully will keep you out of reach of cats and eagles.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Diebert van Rhijn:
Prove your understanding of these empty words, Being!
I just did.

If there are spaces between words, what do you see when looking at a blank white paper?
Diebert van Rhijn

Okay, now let me show you another way to look at this koan.
This is a variant on the question if a prison would be still a prison if you wouldn't know that there's a beyond deduced from the presence of a window or a memory. Or: the most dangerous prisons are the ones that we don't know they exist.

Seen this way, the spaces between the bars, and not the bars, define the tiger's sensation of imprisonment, his cage! The translation of the koan might be slightly misleading because it's not the space that 'holds' the tiger, it's the space that shows the tiger he's being held! A question of being conscious of the situation.

Now imagine the tiger escaping the cage. Would the outside be the same as he imagined when in his cage? Where's the daily food and warmth and care? Was the view from behind the bars misleading? Would it have been better if instead of bars a metal wall would block the view from birth? This points as well to the question of suffering and idealism.

Zen wisdom is way sharper than you suggested and works on many levels. It's not just another reminder about causality.

Anyway, the story reminded me of another one and I looked it up and included it here:
A zoo once had a famous tiger. One day the tiger died. Since it was very expensive to replace the tiger, the zoo hired a beggar to dress up in a tiger skin during zoo hours, sit in the cage and pretend to be the tiger. This actually worked quite well. The people believed the famous tiger was still there, and the beggar had a home.

One day two men began arguing in front of the tiger cage.

“The tiger is the strongest of animal,” said one of the men. “Its roar is the mightiest. It’s the most ferocious of beasts, and this one is a terrific specimen.”

“Nonsense,” replied the other man. He pointed to the lion in the next cage. “Everyone knows that the lion is the king of the beasts. When he roars, everyone trembles! And just look at this one hear- he’s magnificent!”

The men continued to quarrel until finally they persuaded the zookeeper to let the two animals fight each other to see which was actually the mightiest. They promised to pay the zookeeper if either animal was killed.

Hearing this, the “tiger” was terrified, but before he could do anything, the cage door opened and in bounded the lion.

A crowd gathered as the roaring lion furiously chased the tiger all around the cage, finally pouncing on him. The tiger trembled with fear.

“This is the end,” thought the poor tiger. “I am about to be eaten by a lion.”

But then the lion whispered softly in his ear, “Not to worry. I’m the same as you!”
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Cool, glad you have such insight and interesting.

“Not to worry. I’m the same as you!”
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Me:

sschaula
I don't assume it is. It generally is.
Have you experienced a permanent state of non-suffering?
Have you removed ALL false thoughts?

He could suffer as a result of his false thoughts. Just as having my heart broken would cause suffering, me falling in love produces happiness. So perhaps David's delusions about you don't cause him any suffering...and perhaps not any happiness...it all depends on what it means to him.
But if he’s enlightened, he is free of all false thoughts. How is he experiencing false thoughts if he is enlightened?

By seeing how it's untrue. Logic and truth are black and white, and with them you can see through any falseness.
But how can you be sure that the “seeing” isn’t just another false thought, just another case of the mind tricking itself?

Beingof1
Yup I am nothing and never can be somebody cause you don`t like me.

Oh...poor baby....need a hug?
Once again, this has nothing to do with you. I don’t know you. This is about your ineffectual, Metaphysical snake-oil, that your trying too pass off as a legitimate solution, to real problems. But you are incapable of seeing this fact, thru your narcissistic fog of so-called, “enlightenment”.

The “real deal”? Riiiight ;)
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Quite a discussion there Nox.
Again, Enlightenment is, as I have claimed, 100%, absolute, contrived dogshit.
You know what, you may be right, but it all depends on how you have come to understand what that word means or what is it that is supposed to happen, that is, if anything is supposed to “happen” at all. In any case, I prefer not to get stuck up with any particular word especially when others define it differently. As far as I’m concerned, it is nothing more than understanding the truth of existence through logic and reasoning. Once that is understood and accepted, all that would happen is a permanent change of perspective, and how you interact with your environment then on.

Just that I may understand your POV better; how do you define enlightenment?
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Have you experienced a permanent state of non-suffering?
Have you removed ALL false thoughts?

No. States are generally not permanent. I've removed all false thoughts momentarily, then the falseness appeared again. I've never consistently removed all false thoughts.

But if he’s enlightened, he is free of all false thoughts. How is he experiencing false thoughts if he is enlightened?

Obviously, he's not perfectly enlightened if he experiences false thoughts.

But how can you be sure that the “seeing” isn’t just another false thought, just another case of the mind tricking itself?

Ultimate truth is undeniable. If you choose to deny the blatant truth, you're only tricking yourself.