Is our future already determined?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Lennyrizzo wrote:If it's possible to know the future, and it's possible to live forevermore. (I claim it is), Is it then possible to know you will live forever?
What exactly are you saying Lenny?

Yes, it is possible to know that you will live forever, IF, you can possibly know each and every move that cause and effect will make, and know how you could possibly avoid it if it threatened your existence, including a big crunch that is.

How would prolonging life forevermore give us the absolute know-how of all that there is to be? We could only ever guess to a certain degree based on our experience and logical deduction, we cannot know that far with absolute certainty. Even knowing the immediate future is not an absolute certainty, but a highest degree of probability. For all I know, the earth could split apart directly under me at this very split moment, but logic tells me, that I will at least feel a tremor before I plunge into its depths, or that it is not so very likely since I do not live along the ring of fire, and may have time to run for my life if I remotely thought that I am in any forseeable immediate danger.
chaglen

Fascinating...

Post by chaglen »

Hi,

I am the founder/developer of LifeTheory.com. I stumbled upon this thread on Google. I thought it was amusing to see the interest in the poll question...It was meant to be a thought-provoker (and it certainly stimulated a discussion).

I am also happy to see that LifeTheory.com is getting traffic. Where did you find out about the site initially?

Thanks for your interest! Keep the discussion going!

Sincerely,

Christian
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Hi chaglen, and welcome.

What are your thoughts on the issue of causality and free will?

-
Monolith

On the question of determenism

Post by Monolith »

Since hindsight is 20/20. How can an event possibly ever have occurred if it did not actually occurr. In other words, I postulate that an event can not be possible unless it actually occurs. It is useless to talk of things that could have happened. These are the illusions of mind. Therefore the only events that can possibly happen are the events that actually happen. All else are figmants of our fleeting imagination. In the relation to free will, you will choose how you choose, there is no doubt about that. That which does not occurr, was never possible in the first place.