Weininger on Memory

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

OK, moving somewhat slowly along:
Please let me make this clear on my part. I do not, irrelevant of obvious natural differences that are necessary for things and consciousness to exist inter-dependently, some how place the quality of consciousness on a pedestal. Femininity is as essential as masculinity, and so is an apple. If a self, (human consciousness), thinks that it is devoid of any particular quality that exists in Totality, or considers is not necessary in achieving some higher perspective of existence, has still not realized the reality of existence as in Now.
[laughs] Honestly, Sapius, you have stumped me with this. And believe me, I am laughing more at my own thoughts over it since I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make. (Aside from a general reference to the idea of emptiness, which I already reckon I understand.)

I need a bit more time to figure out any possible connection between the equal and essential quality (?) of an apple with all other things -- like the abstract qualities of human memory and reason -- and specifically the role an apple plays, compared to reason and memory, in achieving a higher perspective.

I mean, yes, the apple conforms to the Law of Identity like all other things but I get the impression you think there's more to it that I am missing. I have decided to entertain this idea for a bit and see what happens -- as soon as I can stop laughing. :)

Of course, if you still think I'm on the wrong track here, I'd be happy for you to point that out.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla, I'm glad that I could entertain you :)

However, I shall continue once you have commented on any other points I have made that you think are worth talking about. I'll be gone for about three weeks so please take your time.
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sapius wrote:
Please let me make this clear on my part. I do not, irrelevant of obvious natural differences that are necessary for things and consciousness to exist inter-dependently, some how place the quality of consciousness on a pedestal. Femininity is as essential as masculinity, and so is an apple. If a self, (human consciousness), thinks that it is devoid of any particular quality that exists in Totality, or considers is not necessary in achieving some higher perspective of existence, has still not realized the reality of existence as in Now.
Leyla wrote:
[laughs] Honestly, Sapius, you have stumped me with this. And believe me, I am laughing more at my own thoughts over it since I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make. (Aside from a general reference to the idea of emptiness, which I already reckon I understand.)
Yes Leyla, Sapius’ point seems muddled, especially this bit -
"…irrelevant of obvious natural differences that are necessary for things and consciousness to exist inter-dependently…"

The fact that things appear different from one another doesn’t impact on the fact that all things are interdependent.

The rest of it seems to be traveling down the well trodden path of ‘everyone’s point of view is equally valid because they, along with everything else, are part of reality’.

Women love this bit of drivel as it pushes away the cold, hard, conscious discriminations needed to truly understand Reality and placing in its stead their unconscious, airy-fairy, ‘everyone’s ideas are equal and valid’ fluff. Obviously they don’t really believe that everyone’s ideas are equal, because they get very cranky when confronted by ideas that don’t fit with their own. Lucky for women none of their ideas are actually fixed, so they can alter and change them at a moments notice. Men don’t have this luxury; they instead must live their lives according to their ideas. Women see men as the inferior sex because of this inability to ‘go with the flow’.

The funniest bit was when Sapius said she did “not place the quality of consciousness on a pedestal”. Oh yes she does! She obviously holds the feminine quality of unconsciousness in very high esteem.

Sue
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sue wrote:
Yes Leyla, Sapius’ point seems muddled
Sure they seem to be, to most, I know how difficult it is to eliminate contradictions by superimposing them into a seamless logical now.
"…irrelevant of obvious natural differences that are necessary for things and consciousness to exist inter-dependently…"

Sue: The fact that things appear different from one another doesn’t impact on the fact that all things are interdependent.
I’m sorry, I don’t understand; what has ‘impact’ got to do here? Are you saying that things exist independently of each other?

Consciousness cannot exist without things and vice versa. What is so complicated about it?
The rest of it seems to be traveling down the well trodden path of ‘everyone’s point of view is equally valid because they, along with everything else, are part of reality’.
'Valid' does not necessarily mean true, but realizing that that statement is true does not mean that all ideas are equally true. And understanding the truth of that statement, and living it as in the Now after shredding all false views, is entirely different than simply professing it. You have to first know the background to what that actually means, since in no way would this statement negate the facts of logically deduced comparative conclusions.
Women love this bit of drivel as it pushes away the cold, hard, conscious discriminations needed to truly understand Reality and placing in its stead their unconscious, airy-fairy, ‘everyone’s ideas are equal and valid’ fluff.
Sure, women (the feminine) may love it, those that take it superficially without questioning its philosophical depth, and the majority of them do. And I prefer calling it ‘differentiations’ rather than ‘discriminations’ since I find it almost criminal to call it ‘discrimination’. There is nothing that I may disagree with the QRS on the subject of femininity, except their hardliner approach towards not only the subject, which I can understand, but the person discussing it too, but at the same time I do understand their concern, and their belief in the style of conveying their message.
Obviously they don’t really believe that everyone’s ideas are equal, because they get very cranky when confronted by ideas that don’t fit with their own.
Do things have any inherent values? Not according to my understanding. Then how can “ideas” in them-selves have inherent values? Comparatively, yes, but not inherently, hence All ideas are not equal in comparative values, but that values are irrelevant from the perspective of Totality.
Lucky for women none of their ideas are actually fixed, so they can alter and change them at a moments notice. Men don’t have this luxury; they instead must live their lives according to their ideas.
I take it you mean feminine traits, for those are not necessarily a man woman issue, it is to be found abundantly even in men, although physicality of sex effects one predominantly. Being a woman may be lucky in your opinion, so accordingly, being a man, I’m not that lucky I guess, and have to live by ideas that I have come to realize as true. What a shame… right?
Women see men as the inferior sex because of this inability to ‘go with the flow’.
You surely have the right to your opinion. No complaints.
The funniest bit was when Sapius said she did “not place the quality of consciousness on a pedestal”. Oh yes she does! She obviously holds the feminine quality of unconsciousness in very high esteem.
Again, you do have the right to first define feminine qualities and then judge accordingly, but I don’t have to agree to that, do I? If you place consciousness on a pedestal and that is what you have logically concluded from all the facts you have, good for you, but according to me, holding on to any “thing” as in inherently valuing it, and consciousness being but another “thing”, is a sure sign of a healthy false-ego.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Sue wrote:
Lucky for women none of their ideas are actually fixed, so they can alter and change them at a moments notice.
You know, I think I have a really hard time accepting this kind of existence is a reality for some humans, despite the evidence.

I was having a conversation with two female members of my family with regard to the recent stabbing murder of a local woman by her husband in front of their children. It was during this conversation that I realised the phenomenon associated with my "anti-social" nature. But without really being cognisant of the specific reason, aside from, "They drive me insane"! The discussion went something like this:

Me: What do you reckon drives someone to kill their wife; to take another person’s life -- the life of someone they are supposed to love?
1. Love.
Me: Love?
1. Yes. It can make you do strange things. It can make you go crazy.
Me: But, if you love someone, how does it make any sense that you could kill them? No, I don’t think, if there is such a thing as love, that it could make you crazy. You would have to be crazy in the first place.
1. No, that’s not true.
Me: Why?
1. Remember when I almost married that guy? I loved him and despite everything that he did to me, I still helped him until I stopped helping him. He used me.
Me: Yes, but you didn’t kill him.
1. No.
Me: Right. So, how could this man, loving his wife like you loved that guy, kill her?
2. There was another man who stabbed his pregnant wife, but she had come home and told him that she was pregnant from another man. She shouldn’t have done that.
Me: So, she asked for it? But he LOVES her. If she did something wrong, why didn’t he just cut his losses and fuck her off? Besides, if you were stupid enough to hitch yourself up with someone who you were going to have fidelity issues with, I think you might benefit out of such an awakening. So, why not just fuck her off.
1. Because he loves her. (!!??)
Me: Well, I love my kids and I don’t reckon there’s anything they could do to make me kill them.
1. Right. (At this point, I thought I might’ve been making some sort of progress.)
Me: Right. So, how could someone who loves another person kill them?
1. [Slight shrug of the shoulders, looking at no. 2] Love.

I gave up.

I will write more to this thread soon.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Actually, what they're saying is true. People don't really love other people, they love abstractions that they create of an ideal. A man has in his mind an ideal woman, and he "falls in love" with the woman that fits that ideal best. If he finds a woman that fits well, he feels safe investing in it more emotionally. The ideal is the reality, and the physical woman is just symbolic, really. If the physical woman violates the ideal, then the man gets pissed off at the woman, because now she no longer symbolizes his ideal. In other words, she has changed into a different person which he hates, because she doesn't match the ideal, yet he still loves his ideal in the same way. It's like marrying a person only to find out later that you married a different person in disguise.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Matt Gregory wrote:It's like marrying a person only to find out later that you married a different person in disguise.
Hence, "Love is something that happens between two people who don't know each other." :-)
Pye

Post by Pye »

Matt Gregory writes:
A man has in his mind an ideal woman, and he "falls in love" with the woman that fits that ideal best. If he finds a woman that fits well, he feels safe investing in it more emotionally. The ideal is the reality, and the physical woman is just symbolic, really. If the physical woman violates the ideal, then the man gets pissed off at the woman, because now she no longer symbolizes his ideal. In other words, she has changed into a different person which he hates, because she doesn't match the ideal, yet he still loves his ideal in the same way. It's like marrying a person only to find out later that you married a different person in disguise.
Change every "man" to "woman" and every pronoun accordingly, and this will speak just as accurately to the countless women's experiences I've had to listen to - and even gone through myself. but just once, long ago. (is enough)

Virtually all humans do this de-humanizing shit - right at the apex of their love.

Love makes us feel like gods. In every case.

DHodges

Love Kills

Post by DHodges »

Pye wrote:Virtually all humans do this de-humanizing shit - right at the apex of their love.
Maybe that's why someone could kill someone they were in love with - they shattered the illusion, killed the dream, destroyed their ideal.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Dhodges writes:
Maybe that's why someone could kill someone they were in love with - they shattered the illusion, killed the dream, destroyed their ideal.
Yes, as "gods" we create, and we taketh away . . . .

BTW, I appreciate your biographical candor above. Myself I am now 49, have always been single, have never wanted children. "Children" is what I found myself having in the two live-with relationships with men - in my 20s, and then in my 30s. I tried. This sort of thing just never worked out for me; I could not avoid, with each live-in relationship, having my work, my vocation take a back seat, and having these men need me far more than I them (hence, "children" they seemed to me). As nursemaid, as mother, as housekeeper, ego-support, etc. I accept my own unhappy contribution to those circumstances. I broke off both long-terms myself. These last two-three years in particular of celibacy have been of unparalleled peace and pleasure. I am healthier, more vigorous, brighter and alert than I have ever been.

And to his credit, the last "traditional" relationship I had with a man has gained me a lifelong supporter and friend. It has been 11 years since the end of our sexual involvement, but this person has let me move into two rooms of his house every time I could not longer afford some modest digs on my own. As well, I share an unparalleled understanding with another man with whom I am far more intimate and honest (intellectually, spiritually) than any sex could ever provide.

I can now be in "relationship" with everyone, everything. When one adds up the riches and degrees available there, one shakes one's head over trying to pour it all into one human being.

I have never been more sanguine and less blind -- in my life and on this score -- than I am now.

Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

[laughs]

You know, there wouldn't be anything wrong with sex if people weren't entirely insane on the subject. I mean, fair dinkum, what's the only reason its different from eating a carrot? No-one expects a carrot to be anything other than a carrot!

(Maybe I've been thinking about this apple fiasco for too long.)
Pye

Post by Pye »

Leyla writes:
You know, there wouldn't be anything wrong with sex if people weren't entirely insane on the subject.
Yes, I would go further too, Leyla, in saying that there is nothing wrong with sex anyway; nothing wrong with love. It is just the nature of [looking at] the terrain, then we go on (or don't) from there.

I never did get the hang of "just having sex" and even sported some envy when younger for people who could. I never did get the hang of any savvy separation between the body, mind, soul, spirit, etc. When "I" was f**ked, everything else got f**ked right along with "me"! *lol*
(Maybe I've been thinking about this apple fiasco for too long.)
(actually, I need to get back up in there myself and reread, try to follow, the fruit and vegetable argument.)

Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

You can say "fuck" here, you know.
Pye

Post by Pye »

GShantz writes:
You can say "fuck" here, you know.
I do now. I had a different experience with another board-censor and its defaults.

Matt Gregory

Here in my car, I feel safest of all...

Post by Matt Gregory »

Pye wrote:Virtually all humans do this de-humanizing shit - right at the apex of their love.
Yeah, well, we all live in an abstract world to begin with. It's really difficult to believe how deep this runs in us. The same thing happens when, like, our car breaks down and we get angry about it. We emotionally invest in the ideal of a fully-functional car and when the reality of it doesn't match up, we end up having an emotional problem. The emotional problem surfaces, rather.

Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Matt wrote:
Actually, what they're saying is true.

Well, in a henid kind of form, maybe they were saying what you just said. Didn't sound like that's where they were going to me, though!

I have had the attempted discussion about the substance of love, as well. I don't get any reply at all on that account.

I'll try again soon. :)
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Leyla wrote:
Well, in a henid kind of form,
Yeah, in henid form. I think it was a true henid, though! That's something, I think. They were probably going on the fact that if he didn't love the woman who cheated on him, he would have shrugged and moved on. He certainly wouldn't have killed her.

maybe they were saying what you just said. Didn't sound like that's where they were going to me, though!
It didn't sound like they were going anywhere with it the way you described it.

Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Pye wrote:
I never did get the hang of "just having sex" and even sported some envy when younger for people who could.
I'm not surprised...
I never did get the hang of any savvy separation between the body, mind, soul, spirit, etc. When "I" was f**ked, everything else got f**ked right along with "me"! *lol*
You should have insisted on at least a 50-50 split between being the fucker and the fuckee!
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sapius,
Sue:Yes Leyla, Sapius’ point seems muddled

Sapius:Sure they seem to be, to most, I know how difficult it is to eliminate contradictions by superimposing them into a seamless logical now.
But sadly you don’t seem to value your own thoughts enough, to actually ensure they are logical; for example, what are you trying to say above?
Sapius:"…irrelevant of obvious natural differences that are necessary for things and consciousness to exist inter-dependently…"

Sue:The fact that things appear different from one another doesn’t impact on the fact that all things are interdependent.

Sapius:I’m sorry, I don’t understand; what has ‘impact’ got to do here? Are you saying that things exist independently of each other?
In your original sentence you seem to be saying that the appearance of “differences” is “necessary” for things etc to “exist inter-dependently”. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. How about you give it another shot and explain how the appearance of things are “necessary” for one to understand that all things are caused and therefore have no inherent existence.

My point was that it usually goes without saying that things appear different from one another, and that those differences are understood through cause and effect; ie. all things are caused.
Sapius:Consciousness cannot exist without things and vice versa. What is so complicated about it?
Conscious exists because of its causes. It also doesn’t exist because of its causes. I agree, nothing complicated there.
Sue:The rest of it seems to be traveling down the well trodden path of ‘everyone’s point of view is equally valid because they, along with everything else, are part of reality’.

Sapius:'Valid' does not necessarily mean true, but realizing that that statement is true does not mean that all ideas are equally true. And understanding the truth of that statement, and living it as in the Now after shredding all false views, is entirely different than simply professing it. You have to first know the background to what that actually means, since in no way would this statement negate the facts of logically deduced comparative conclusions.
Things exist and do not exist because of causality. I am caused to discriminate, and so are you. Understanding this, will you “Now” answer this question directly: are all point’s of view equal, or not?
Sue:Women love this bit of drivel as it pushes away the cold, hard, conscious discriminations needed to truly understand Reality and placing in its stead their unconscious, airy-fairy, ‘everyone’s ideas are equal and valid’ fluff.

Sapius:Sure, women (the feminine) may love it, those that take it superficially without questioning its philosophical depth, and the majority of them do. And I prefer calling it ‘differentiations’ rather than ‘discriminations’ since I find it almost criminal to call it ‘discrimination’. There is nothing that I may disagree with the QRS on the subject of femininity, except their hardliner approach towards not only the subject, which I can understand, but the person discussing it too, but at the same time I do understand their concern, and their belief in the style of conveying their message.
To differentiate also means to discriminate. So if you have been differentiating between things you have also been discriminating between them.

It is criminal not to discriminate. If you are not always discriminating between what is true and what is false, you’re wasting your life. Some men have retained this masculine ability and use it to uncover the highest Truth. Most men have lost this ability as they have adopted the feminine bit of madness of describing people as ‘different but equal’.
Sapius:Do things have any inherent values? Not according to my understanding. Then how can “ideas” in them-selves have inherent values? Comparatively, yes, but not inherently, hence All ideas are not equal in comparative values, but that values are irrelevant from the perspective of Totality.
You’re trying to use the Totality to release you from all responsibility for your actions. You cannot say you value ‘not valuing’ because you are still valuing. What you’re actually saying is that you’re not really interested in anything about Reality, but you like the idea that ‘everything is equal’ because you think it means that everyone (but mostly you) can do any thing they please without any consequences and the Totality will consider this ‘perfectly ok’.
Sue:Lucky for women none of their ideas are actually fixed, so they can alter and change them at a moment’s notice. Men don’t have this luxury; they instead must live their lives according to their ideas.

Sapius:I take it you mean feminine traits, for those are not necessarily a man woman issue, it is to be found abundantly even in men, although physicality of sex effects one predominantly. Being a woman may be lucky in your opinion, so accordingly, being a man, I’m not that lucky I guess, and have to live by ideas that I have come to realize as true. What a shame… right?

Yes, masculine men are very rare indeed. Hardly a man on the planet has the degree of masculinity needed to take on a life of Truth. Most men are a sulky mix of failed masculinity using physically violence, misogyny, work, sex, drugs and alcohol to try and regain some control over their lives. But these guys aren’t the worst men can become; no, worst still are those that have given up any pretence of masculinity and have slid completely into the feminine mire. All that sets these men apart from other women is what sets all women apart from each other - their facade.
Sue:Women see men as the inferior sex because of this inability to ‘go with the flow’.

Sapius:You surely have the right to your opinion. No complaints.
You may have no complaints, but this desire of women for men to become more and more like them will be fulfilled if men don’t attempt to free themselves from her influence.
Sue:The funniest bit was when Sapius said she did “not place the quality of consciousness on a pedestal”. Oh yes she does! She obviously holds the feminine quality of unconsciousness in very high esteem.

Sapius:Again, you do have the right to first define feminine qualities and then judge accordingly, but I don’t have to agree to that, do I? If you place consciousness on a pedestal and that is what you have logically concluded from all the facts you have, good for you, but according to me, holding on to any “thing” as in inherently valuing it, and consciousness being but another “thing”, is a sure sign of a healthy false-ego.
It is incorrect to discriminate against someone because of the way they look, but it is perfectly correct to discriminate against someone because of the way they think.

Consciousness is more valuable than unconsciousness, but only to those that are conscious.

Sue
williamashley

Post by williamashley »

-------------------------------------------------------
Do unconcious people have a sense of value?

Is a dreamer unconcious or concious?
-------------------------------------------------------

Yar think ... why discriminate?

Limited resources (time money enjoyment?)

Create your personality yada yada.

I'm wondering why you value discrimination over inclusion and acceptance.
What thoughts are not acceptable in that case Sue? As to require discrimination...
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

williamashley wrote: Do unconcious people have a sense of value?
No, by definition.
Is a dreamer unconcious or concious?
A dreamer can be either conscious or unconscious, just as a person who is awake.
Yar think ... why discriminate?

Thinking and discriminating are the same thing.
I'm wondering why you value discrimination over inclusion and acceptance.
"Discriminate" means, in this context "to mark or perceive the distinguishing or peculiar features of", and "to use good judgement".

A discriminating person includes when it is sensible to include and excludes when it is sensible to exclude. He also accepts when it is sensible to accept and rejects when it sensible to reject. That is the essence of discriminating thought.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Leyla writes:
You should have insisted on at least a 50-50 split between being the fucker and the fuckee!
Yes, for the sake of the metaphor, I left out the mechanics . . . . also assumed I would not have to come back and explain literally . . . .

I have had lots and lots of sexual pleasure, attention and adventure in my life, and like yourself, Leyla, I am not unattractive/"ugly"/"fat"/etc. My present celibacy is effortless, and perhaps even the closest thing to "freedom" I've yet experienced. Men have carved deep paths in my bodymind over the years. As I enter menopause, I take this "pause" in every way and I revel in the rejuvenation.

Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sue,

I will respond to other points in about three weeks when I get back, in the mean while, let me clarify a thing or two below, which I think may self-clarify a few other points too.
Sue: Yes Leyla, Sapius’ point seems muddled

Sapius: Sure they seem to be, to most, I know how difficult it is to eliminate contradictions by superimposing them into a seamless logical now.

Sue: But sadly you don’t seem to value your own thoughts enough, to actually ensure they are logical; for example, what are you trying to say above?
On the contrary, I cannot emphasize enough on how high a value I place on the fact that “I” am “I”, and “I” do exist, and at the same time, “I” do not inherently exist, which shows the valueless-ness of my or any “things” existence. Both of them are my thoughts but when realized at once they then become, for a lack of a better word, superimposed as a single logical realization rather than thoughts, and the reality of a seamless, un-contradictory existence becomes apparent, that’s all.
To differentiate also means to discriminate. So if you have been differentiating between things you have also been discriminating between them.
Sure, it means one and the same thing to me, but simply that I personally do not like to call it ‘dis-crimination’, that’s all. For me it is exactly what Kevin says here…
Thinking and discriminating are the same thing.
I simply think and accept that which is logical, and reject that which is not. You may call it discriminating; I see it as differentiations because I don’t hate that which I reject, I see no reason to do so, so I call it differentiations. Not that the one who ‘discriminates’ necessarily hates that which he rejects, but I simply don’t like the word when used in the context of understanding the nature of existence.
Things exist and do not exist because of causality. I am caused to discriminate, and so are you. Understanding this, will you “Now” answer this question directly: are all point’s of view equal, or not?
If you have actually realized the (in bold) former, then you should not ask the (in bold) latter, because similarly, in the same context, things hold and do not hold values for the same reasons.

In explanation I would first ask, what do you mean by ‘equal’ here? Equal in what sense? Equally true? Equally logical? I would say no, they are not, that is, when logically compared to one another, but All the point of views in them selves, do not inherently exist, and hence have no inherent “values” as such since they are no more than caused things.
Sapius: Do things have any inherent values? Not according to my understanding. Then how can “ideas” in them-selves have inherent values? Comparatively, yes, but not inherently, hence All ideas are not equal in comparative values, but that values are irrelevant from the perspective of Totality.

Sue: You’re trying to use the Totality to release you from all responsibility for your actions. You cannot say you value ‘not valuing’ because you are still valuing. What you’re actually saying is that you’re not really interested in anything about Reality, but you like the idea that ‘everything is equal’ because you think it means that everyone (but mostly you) can do any thing they please without any consequences and the Totality will consider this ‘perfectly ok’.
How did you gather that from what I said? Please read it again giving emphasis on the italics.

As far as “my” responsibilities go, please read this…

(Posted in ‘Is our future already determined?’ thread…)
Dan: This is not a complicated issue. Yes, our futures are determined but we can never know in exactly what way, so we have fate and mystery all rolled into one.
Yes, we can never know for sure, but that does not mean that cause and effect in it self is not free, free to create incalculable diversities, imposed and created by its own nature. It is a very subtle point, but in my opinion the crux of the understanding lies in there.

Cause and effect is so complexly diverse that it can actually “say no” to a given situation, other wise such diversities wouldn’t be possible. If there were no possibilities of diversities, then there would be nothing except one cause producing the same effect over and over again, since the effect would be its own cause, or nothing at all, which also does not seem probable. Freedom in diversities also proves that there was no time when just a single cause existed. Any speck that exists is not a result of innumerable causes, but is cumulatively innumerable causes itself, since from the perspective of Totality all is a single effect, but we just experience it as effect's, for all that there is, is now, and that just is.

My thinking too is governed by cause and effect, but isn’t my thinking itself cause and effect? And it can cause me, which is no more than a cumulative, say a bundle of cause and effect, to say ‘no’. (Unless one believes that “I” am absolutely nothing whatsoever, not even as a form or appearance, which would be absolutely illogical.); thereby creating yet another situation that leads to diversity without breaking its own rhythm or law as such.

Although governed by cause and effect, the future of no particular thing is actually determined, not more than the immediate cumulative effects, which is actually just a single effect as far as Totality is concerned since there is no future as such for it, although experienced by us as a result of innumerable causes from our perspective.

Unless and until we don’t comprehend this from both the perspectives without any contradictions, since it is all actually only ONE with no without, we can keep discussing free will form either perspective indefinitely.

Just to give a simple example, keeping in mind all the possible and probable uncertainties that I may or may not be aware of, I am also logically aware that I can, and could, and will, not make a single post on this forum for the next 24 hours, and although I am governed by cause and effect, cause and effect can say no although it could do otherwise, that is post within 24 hours. In this, one can see that what it eventually does was not necessarily the only possible result it could achieve, (freedom), showing the capability of its diverse possibilities, but what it did achieve could not have been otherwise, hence not violating its own nature at its core.

If this is not clear enough, it is only my shortcoming at explaining it, but not how I actually comprehend it, without any contradictions. I am never confused as to my responsibilities or morality, cause and effect makes me, responsible and moral, dictated by my logic that is based on cause and effect, and indeed it is that itself.

Cause and effect itself is free by nature, and we are nothing more or less than that.
To which Pye has appropriately summarized it in a single sentence…
Our futures will be determined, just as with every convergent moment of the present they are determined now.
Bye for now...
Leyla Shen

MY-MY, MISS AMERICAN PYE

Post by Leyla Shen »

:)
Yes, for the sake of the metaphor, I left out the mechanics . . . . also assumed I would not have to come back and explain literally . . . .
You did that just for me? How gracious of you.
I have had lots and lots of sexual pleasure, attention and adventure in my life, and like yourself, Leyla, I am not unattractive/"ugly"/"fat"/etc.
I’m sure you are and have been very “beautiful,” Pye. Smarter than me, too, no doubt. Unlike your motivations here, mine in the last reply were purely selfish! I saw the opportunity for what I considered to be humour, and I took it. Sometimes I am the only who gets my own jokes, I must admit.
My present celibacy is effortless, and perhaps even the closest thing to "freedom" I've yet experienced. Men have carved deep paths in my bodymind over the years. As I enter menopause, I take this "pause" in every way and I revel in the rejuvenation.

Well, I missed your metaphor earlier, apparently. And you have my apologies, should you desire them. But, sadly, I am missing your message here, too. Is it that you think I’m going to have a hard time with menopause because I still crawl the walls on occasion? “Freedom” must be good, eh?

I dunno, I think you’ve got too many quotation marks in there for me.
Pye

Post by Pye »

*lol* Leyla, I should probably leave this fish to flop itself out on the shore, but I value an understanding with you, and so I mention that had I left the smiley face on at the end of my first sentence re: metaphors, it might have helped. Truly, my offence-meter was not running, and the implicit sigh has simply to do with how easy it is to be misunderstood on this subject in general.

The second paragraph re: celibacy is simply more talk on celibacy. Your name appears in it because I had time this weekend to visit the brothel for the first time, and I was addressing some talk of yourself in a thread there. Pardon me the confusion and the quote marks and everything else that seems to stand in the way here. I wanted it to be known that celibacy in my case is not entirely circumstantial, the way many people are wont to snigger over it. I also do not know how germane in general is celibacy considered by the enlightenment seekers on this site, and I was, am willing to broach the subject - go fishing, as it were - to find out. I have found it to be of value to my state of mind, as clearly, all this mention is demonstrating. I meant no connection between my men-o-pause and anything about what yours would be like.

Here are two people (you and me) on this site who, as they say [and here come some quote marks, because it's how others would say it] - two people who are "not getting any." Myself, I am consciously not wanting any, but not from any warped health or psyche. And so I was curious to know how it is with you.