God's cause.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Cory Duchesne

God's cause.

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory wrote:

I don't see a personal will, a personal mind that chooses to do anything. How can enlightenment be the result of my acts of will, when my will is only an illusion?

David Quinn replied:

True. A person will only seek enlightenment if he is caused to seek it. Ultimately, God is the doer of all things.
‘God’ is the doer of all things?

First of all, you separate ‘God’ from ‘things’. You divide the ‘doer’ from the ‘done’. Isn’t there just a ‘quality’ of ‘doing’? You say that, God is the ‘cause’, and the search for enlightenment is ‘the effect’ of God. What causes God?
I-Beam

Post by I-Beam »

Ultimately, God is the doer of all things.
I don't see this as a statement of truth, just one of belief. I hope you are not stating this as an absolute, but more of a belief you wish to find the true nature of by questioning it every day. Because if a thing is true it will stand up to every level of questioning and interogation.
kjones

Re: God's cause.

Post by kjones »

Cory Patrick wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Ultimately, God is the doer of all things.

First of all, you separate ‘God’ from ‘things’. You divide the ‘doer’ from the ‘done’. Isn’t there just a ‘quality’ of ‘doing’?
By definition, God is all things, including all the effects and all the causes. So the causes for all things are also God. This is the hidden aspect of God, the doer. What appears and exists are God's doings.
You say that, God is the ‘cause’, and the search for enlightenment is ‘the effect’ of God. What causes God?
Being everything, God can only be caused by that aspect of Himself that is not causes. "What" is causing everything to appear must not be appearing. This is the doer related to what is being done.
propellerbeanie

Post by propellerbeanie »

kjones wrote:
Cory Patrick wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Ultimately, God is the doer of all things.

First of all, you separate ‘God’ from ‘things’. You divide the ‘doer’ from the ‘done’. Isn’t there just a ‘quality’ of ‘doing’?
By definition, God is all things, including all the effects and all the causes. So the causes for all things are also God. This is the hidden aspect of God, the doer. What appears and exists are God's doings.
You say that, God is the ‘cause’, and the search for enlightenment is ‘the effect’ of God. What causes God?
Being everything, God can only be caused by that aspect of Himself that is not causes. "What" is causing everything to appear must not be appearing. This is the doer related to what is being done.
By whose unchallenged definition is God everything?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory wrote:
DQ: A person will only seek enlightenment if he is caused to seek it. Ultimately, God is the doer of all things.

C: ‘God’ is the doer of all things?

First of all, you separate ‘God’ from ‘things’. You divide the ‘doer’ from the ‘done’. Isn’t there just a ‘quality’ of ‘doing’? You say that, God is the ‘cause’, and the search for enlightenment is ‘the effect’ of God. What causes God?

It's just a poetic expression, another way of saying that all things are caused. The body of cause and effect is what I call "God", or "Tao", or "Nature", or "Brahmin". The labels aren't important; what matters is understanding the reality these labels all point to.

You really need to chill out with respect to people's use of words. I'd hate to be in your friend's shoes when he says to you, "I'm going down to the shop to buy a loaf of bread". I would only get my head snapped off with, "Oh, are you now? How can you possibly imagine that you are seperate from the loaf of bread and from the shop, hmm? By what insane process of the mind do you imagine that you can buy what is not seperate from you? Talk about deluded!"

Words are just convenient tools, Cory. A sage uses them as pointers to Reality, not as capturers of Reality. You are trying to turn them into what they are not.

-
hades

Post by hades »

How can people say God (the personal creator concept) is the ultimate cause of the Universe?

What caused God to create the Universe?

If nothing caused him to create, wouldn't his action be completely arbitrary?
Where is the intelligence in that?

And if he was caused by something, how can he be called the ultimate cause of the universe?
kjones

Post by kjones »

propellerbeanie wrote:
By whose unchallenged definition is God everything?
Whenever I use words to make definitions for things, to fit my needs, the thing defined is what it is. The equation never relies on factoring in the authority of whoever invented the word.

If I define God as a finite thing, then God certainly can't cause everything, because He'd be caused.

If I define God as infinite, then God includes all appearances and the incapable-of-appearing that causes them.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Hades wrote:
How can people say God (the personal creator concept) is the ultimate cause of the Universe?

What caused God to create the Universe?

If nothing caused him to create, wouldn't his action be completely arbitrary?
Where is the intelligence in that?

And if he was caused by something, how can he be called the ultimate cause of the universe?
That's right. Cause and effect is a more fundamental concept than that of a creator God. It is the sage's God.

-
I-Beam

Post by I-Beam »

What about God as only an observer? Existing within and without the universe, without actually causing anything to happen?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

That would be one impotent God.

-
I-Beam

Post by I-Beam »

Does God need to be all-powerful? Is complete power complete enlightenment?
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

David Quinn wrote:
You really need to chill out with respect to people's use of words. I'd hate to be in your friend's shoes when he says to you, "I'm going down to the shop to buy a loaf of bread". I would only get my head snapped off with, "Oh, are you now? How can you possibly imagine that you are seperate from the loaf of bread and from the shop, hmm? By what insane process of the mind do you imagine that you can buy what is not seperate from you? Talk about deluded!" Words are just convenient tools, Cory. A sage uses them as pointers to Reality, not as capturers of Reality. You are trying to turn them into what they are not.
David, you 'seem' very certain that you know. You seem 100% certain. And I am seriously interested in finding out whether or not this quality of certainty and knowledge is pathological or genuinely healthy and vital. There is nothing I would like more than to achieve absolute security, health of mind and knowledge, however, I am not convinced that your approach is correct. Nor am I convinced that your approach is incorrect.

Hopefully you see the importance of establishing an agreement on what are perhaps the most basic conditions our minds can possibly concieve of, before we accept the larger truths that you seem passionate about expounding or propagating. (I know, I know, cause and effect)

Anyhow, Is it just me, or are you circumventing the crux of my latest posts? Perhaps it is just me.

I'll repeat the concerns of my previous post again in clearer words, hopefully to elicit a respose that isnt merely self-defensive cunning. For you to mix the two together (going to the store to buy bread (vs.) the nature of god and enlightenment) is too silly. Funny, a bit because there was a good sense of the absurd, but more because of how over the top it was. However, perhaps you were right to say that it was me who was over the top in my previous post and it was you who had simply used a thorn to deal with a thorn.

Obviously the shallow, utilitarian topic of going to the store to by bread isnt going to demand one to employ language and logic quite as intensely, carefully and with such scrutiny as one might when considering the topic of: 'the nature and the origins of god and enlightenment'.

Anyway, my question:

If 'God' = The body of cause and effect - - what causes 'the body of cause and effect?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory wrote:
There is nothing I would like more than to achieve absolute security, health of mind and knowledge, however, I am not convinced that your approach is correct. Nor am I convinced that your approach is incorrect.
You're uncertain, yet open-minded. That's perfectly fine with me.

I'll repeat the concerns of my previous post again in clearer words, hopefully to elicit a respose that isnt merely self-defensive cunning. For you to mix the two together (going to the store to buy bread (vs.) the nature of god and enlightenment) is too silly.

In both cases, words are being used as tools for practical purposes - in one case, buying bread; in the other case, pointing the mind towards enlightenment. In both cases, words are being effectively and validly.

Obviously the shallow, utilitarian topic of going to the store to by bread isnt going to demand one to employ language and logic quite as intensely, carefully and with such scrutiny as one might when considering the topic of: 'the nature and the origins of god and enlightenment'.
In both cases, we still have to mentally carve up the Universe into "things", such as I, bread, shop, buy, God, cause, enlightenment, etc. Otherwise, no communication can take place.

If 'God' = The body of cause and effect - - what causes 'the body of cause and effect?
It doesn't have any cause. This is because whatever thing or phenomena we might wish to postulate as being the cause of the body of cause and effect will necessarily be a part of this body. Thus, it's easy to see that it could never have been caused into being. It has always been around.

-
kjones

Post by kjones »

Cory's question: What is responsible for God (God=all things) ?

This is how I'd answer it:

Whatever is responsible cannot be a thing at all, or it would be part of God (with this definition of God), and not responsible for God. That means, that responsible can't be a thing. Since a not-thing cannot exist, and that responsible can't be a thing, that responsible cannot exist.

In other words, cause and effect can only apply to things. So there is no causation beyond God. What causes all things is therefore meaningless, because causation only applies to God.

An exploration:

If not-all-things causes all things, this is in fact part of God, because it is itself a thing, and cause and effect applies to it. It is in turn caused by all things. It is thus not the cause of God. Thus, the part of God that appears is caused by the hidden part.

K
I-Beam

Post by I-Beam »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:Cory wrote:
There is nothing I would like more than to achieve absolute security, health of mind and knowledge, however, I am not convinced that your approach is correct. Nor am I convinced that your approach is incorrect.
You're uncertain, yet open-minded. That's perfectly fine with me.

I'll repeat the concerns of my previous post again in clearer words, hopefully to elicit a respose that isnt merely self-defensive cunning. For you to mix the two together (going to the store to buy bread (vs.) the nature of god and enlightenment) is too silly.

In both cases, words are being used as tools for practical purposes - in one case, buying bread; in the other case, pointing the mind towards enlightenment. In both cases, words are being used effectively and validly.
It doesn't have any cause. This is because whatever thing or phenomena we might wish to postulate as being the cause of the body of cause and effect will necessarily be a part of this body. Thus, it's easy to see that it could never have been caused into being. It has always been around.-
It has always been around. Hey look at that....a belief I can say I share with you completely. Big Bang scientists tried to calculate the age of the universe by measuring the speed and distance of dark matter moving away from where they thought the center of the universe was. Yet they all ended up looking like fools when the Hubble telescope went up and they observed stars that were much older than the dates they had given for the age of the universe. Funny...I think the concept of an infinite and always existing (undying and constant) universe is so hard to grasp or explain to us, that it is much easier to try and assign some bounds to it. Yet I think it is quite possible they do not exist.
In both cases, we still have to mentally carve up the Universe into "things", such as I, bread, shop, buy, God, cause, enlightenment, etc. Otherwise, no communication can take place.
Yeah but I think Cory's point here is that it is easier to slice the bread than cut up the universe and man's mind. Is this right Cory? Those concepts require much more introspective and objective thinking than going down the street to buy a loaf of bread. Apologies for the really lame pun.[/quote]
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory wrote:

David Quinn replied:

It doesn't have any cause. This is because whatever thing or phenomena we might wish to postulate as being the cause of the body of cause and effect will necessarily be a part of this body. Thus, it's easy to see that it could never have been caused into being. It has always been around.

If God doesn’t have any cause, and my seeking for enlightenment is part of God, then wouldn’t it be logical to say that my seeking for enlightenment and even my enlightenment itself both have no cause?

My seeking for enlightenment and my enlightenment are undivided from the body of cause and effect. Like you say, there is only one un-caused whole. Therefore, my seeking for enlightenment and my enlightenment, because they are at one with God - are without cause. My seeking for companionship (sexual or otherwise), higher position in my career, my effort to become better physically and mentally, my desire to do drugs, to read a book, to become enlightened, etc…..all of these are un-unique tendencies - -they are simply the superficial expression of ones longing for superiority (which is one with ones sensibility of inferiority). (2 sides of one coin, not causual) The painful/enthusiastic drive to be superior is not a choice, it is simply a fact that mingles with ones logic. The logic that ‘in part’ determines one’s behavior can be idiosyncratic, as well as common, whereas, the emotions, fears, drives and passions (which are akin to root below the branches of logic) are always common. There are simply qualities of conditioning’s, design, pressure, release. All the myriad forms that humanity takes are an attempt at release, relief in response to the involuntary pressure of life. One is enveloped by certain pressures, conditionings, inner and outer. None of which have a cause. There is only one coin. 'Heads' does not cause 'tails'. Conditioning, pressure, and release are not so much outcomes, effects, but are configurations without cause - -and thus, ultimately, ‘ there is only one without cause’.

Instead of seeing things in terms of cause and effect, I see only differing qualities of conditionings, relationships and energy. Wisdom is to see what conditionings are misery and what is peace, and from there, deal with what one has no choice to deal with by whatever means ones logic is capable of conjuring. The capability of ones logic isn’t a choice. Ones actions are not a choice. They are simply peaceful or misery bound.

So you say ‘cause and effect’ and I say ‘conditioning’ - - I guess are logic is the same, just a different mask of verbiage?

I read that cartoon: that which is caused is an illuision, that which is an illusion is caused.

It was a neat cartoon, but I don't agree. Illusion are real, they are energy bound into a configuration undivided from outer and inner configurations which extend infinitely comprising the undivided uncaused body of energy(god). Deception is not caused. It simply is, or is not.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

I-Beam wrote:
Yeah but I think Cory's point here is that it is easier to slice the bread than cut up the universe and man's mind. Those concepts require much more introspective and objective thinking. Is this right Cory?
Unlike bread, the universe and man's mind should not be cut up in slices. A Concept is a form of description and a description is not what it describes, and that which is described is not what it appears to be (a seperate part).

David, I can imagine you must get tired of hearing this taoish stuff over and over again - but, if the significance of these words was truly felt and seen, then I think we would be much more interested in establishing a more careful and less 'noun-ish' language that we could all come to an agreement on.

Statements like 'God causes the search for enlightenment' would be seen to have a dangerous lack of subtlety. Most of my post have been an effort to undermine what I see as a far too 'noun-intensive' language and come to an agreement on a more subtle way of looking at living.

Now David, don't go and turn this around on me by picking out every noun I use and throwing it back in my face! I know your tricks! I'm not trying to abolish all nouns. However, one feels we should not settle for Nouns which cover over what would be valuable to acknowledge.
kjones

Post by kjones »

Cory Patrick wrote:If God doesn’t have any cause, and my seeking for enlightenment is part of God, then wouldn’t it be logical to say that my seeking for enlightenment and even my enlightenment itself both have no cause?
If you define enlightenment as the manifestation of the Tao, then there are no causes for it, because it is the Tao.

Or, if enlightenment is being in harmony with the Tao, then it is a part of the Tao, in relation to it. So then it is caused by not-being-in-harmony-with-the-Tao.
My seeking for enlightenment and my enlightenment are undivided from the body of cause and effect. Like you say, there is only one un-caused whole. Therefore, my seeking for enlightenment and my enlightenment, because they are at one with God - are without cause. My seeking for companionship (sexual or otherwise), higher position in my career, my effort to become better physically and mentally, my desire to do drugs, to read a book, to become enlightened, etc…..all of these are un-unique tendencies - -they are simply the superficial expression of ones longing for superiority (which is one with ones sensibility of inferiority). (2 sides of one coin, not causual) The painful/enthusiastic drive to be superior is not a choice, it is simply a fact that mingles with ones logic. The logic that ‘in part’ determines one’s behavior can be idiosyncratic, as well as common, whereas, the emotions, fears, drives and passions (which are akin to root below the branches of logic) are always common.
The belief that one's real nature is really only one side of the coin of Nature does indeed drive all the drives to be superior, and get control of the "other side". Choices based on this belief, whether deliberated or instinctive, are consequently flawed logic. They fail to take into account that one's real nature is the body of all things, which is bodiless cause and effect.

There are simply qualities of conditioning’s, design, pressure, release. All the myriad forms that humanity takes are an attempt at release, relief in response to the involuntary pressure of life. One is enveloped by certain pressures, conditionings, inner and outer. None of which have a cause. There is only one coin. 'Heads' does not cause 'tails'. Conditioning, pressure, and release are not so much outcomes, effects, but are configurations without cause - -and thus, ultimately, ‘ there is only one without cause’.
You seem to be heading towards the notion that there are no causes at all, based on the logic that there is no one thing that can cause everything. It's flawed because it states everything is caused by not-causes!

Ultimately, everything is God. Logical processes are seamlessly part of God. Yet it is obvious that they are not illogical processes. Being responsible for all processes and conditioning, God itself cannot be processed or conditioned. Once this conditionlessness is realised, there is no need to seek freedom from conditions.

I often recall this no-fuss description of how to understand God:
The biggest obstacle for the serious student seeking to become enlightened is his natural habit of trying to grasp at Reality as though it were a "thing" of some kind, as though it were a limited phenomenon separated from himself. He might be aware that he is unenlightened, it might deeply dissatisfy him and strongly motivate him to want to rectify the situation. But because he does not yet comprehend the nature of Reality, he is hampered by his flawed understanding and wrongly interprets Reality to be a realm which needs to be mentally reached in some way.

He might think of it as a state of mind, for example, which needs to be brought into his consciousness; or as a hidden essence which has to be uncovered; or as a kind of spiritual realm which he can open himself up to by breaking out of his web of delusions, much like a young bird breaking out of its egg. All of these conceptions are fundamentally deluded because they are rooted in the illusion of duality. They are based in a division of Nature into two arbitrary realms - that of enlightenment and ignorance, or Reality and non-Reality - which is itself a creation of ignorance. Such a division automatically traps one in a dualistic prison and prevents one from realizing the Infinite Reality in which one is already immersed.

Instead of seeing things in terms of cause and effect, I see only differing qualities of conditionings, relationships and energy. Wisdom is to see what conditionings are misery and what is peace, and from there, deal with what one has no choice to deal with by whatever means ones logic is capable of conjuring. The capability of ones logic isn’t a choice. Ones actions are not a choice. They are simply peaceful or misery bound.

So you say ‘cause and effect’ and I say ‘conditioning’ - - I guess are logic is the same, just a different mask of verbiage?
Deeply-ingrained instincts to regard things as inherent are still based on flawed logic. There are conditions that are free of illogical notions, and there are conditions that aren't.

I read that cartoon: that which is caused is an illuision, that which is an illusion is caused.

It was a neat cartoon, but I don't agree. Illusion are real, they are energy bound into a configuration undivided from outer and inner configurations which extend infinitely comprising the undivided uncaused body of energy(god). Deception is not caused. It simply is, or is not.
I think David is saying that any particular conditions that appear aren't really on their own, and separate from what they aren't. So the finiteness of an appearance is an illusion.

Yet the understanding of the illusoriness of all "separate appearances" is also not on its own, but is seamlessly part of the Tao. Thus, any experience can be understood to be the continuing unfoldings of the Tao.

K
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Isn’t enlightenment a moment of realizing that you ‘are’ the undivided whole? In that moment you ‘are’ the undivided whole. In that moment, there is no you, there is only the undivided whole/god/tao - -- a.k.a: the uncaused. Therefore, enlightenment is not caused.

Isn’t this logical?

kjones wrote:
You seem to be heading towards the notion that there are no causes at all, based on the logic that there is no one thing that can cause everything. It's flawed because it states everything is caused by not-causes!

No, what I am saying is ‘everything/tao/god’ has no cause. Therefore, everything that is within tao/god is a simultaneous movement of infinite variation, dimension, and configuration.
The intellect can examine outwardly and inwardly and it will appear to this intellect that there is a beginning and an end. A cause and an effect. I say that this is only an illusion. There is, in the true picture, no time. The intellect is only capable of thinking in terms of time which is an illusion. (and no, the intellect does not ‘cause’ this illusion, truth is infinitely more complicated than that) The intellect can take a mere photograph, a mere blueprint….and then….it will go so far as to believe that this blueprint is real. It seems real, because the intellect can invent things with the blueprints that it logically works out. However, there is a difference between ‘configuration/conditioning/relationships’ and mere causality.

Ultimately, everything is God.
What is everything? Can you know? The microcosm is still a puzzling mystery (not to mention the mostly uncharted outer space). However, the microcosm interests me quite a bit these days. I’ll soon be starting a thread comparing the most recent views in physics.
Being responsible for all processes and conditioning, God itself cannot be processed or conditioned.
God is responsible for all processes and conditioning? Is God ‘Mind’? If that’s what you mean, then I’m intrigued. If that’s not what you mean, if you don’t see a universal cosmic mind, then I think the ‘God is responsible’ statement to be either blatantly incorrect, or just highly superfluous.
When you said God is responsible for all processes and conditionings, did you mean, God ‘causes’ all process and conditionings? That would be incorrect. That is like saying the roots of the tree ‘cause’ the branches. Not true; it only appears to be true to someone who sees reality through a filter of concepts. If God is everything, then all parts have no cause, because those parts are undivided from everything.
Once this conditionlessness is realised, there is no need to seek freedom from conditions.
By ‘realizing’ in the sense that you are talking about, seeking becomes an impossibility, an unreality. Seeking implies a seeker. It is only a deluded mind that seeks.
I think David is saying that any particular conditions that appear aren't really on their own, and separate from what they aren't. So the finiteness of an appearance is an illusion. Yet the understanding of the illusoriness of all "separate appearances" is also not on its own, but is seamlessly part of the Tao. Thus, any experience can be understood to be the continuing unfoldings of the Tao.

Yes, the causeless tao.
kjones

Post by kjones »

Cory Patrick wrote:Isn’t enlightenment a moment of realizing that you ‘are’ the undivided whole? In that moment you ‘are’ the undivided whole. In that moment, there is no you, there is only the undivided whole/god/tao - -- a.k.a: the uncaused. Therefore, enlightenment is not caused.
No, it's what happens afterwards.

Perched motionless on the tip of a 100 foot pole,
The man has attainment, but he hasn't made it real;
He must make one more step beyond the tip,
And reveal his whole body in the ten directions.

The moment of realisation has to be followed through, in order to see that there is no moment that one isn't God.

I wrote wrote:You seem to be heading towards the notion that there are no causes at all, based on the logic that there is no one thing that can cause everything. It's flawed because it states everything is caused by not-causes!
And in this following section, you're still holding onto this notion, that God is something, that is somehow different from everything that appears:
No, what I am saying is ‘everything/tao/god’ has no cause. Therefore, everything that is within tao/god is a simultaneous movement of infinite variation, dimension, and configuration.
So what's wrong with callling that "causes"?

The intellect can examine outwardly and inwardly and it will appear to this intellect that there is a beginning and an end. A cause and an effect. I say that this is only an illusion. There is, in the true picture, no time. The intellect is only capable of thinking in terms of time which is an illusion. (and no, the intellect does not ‘cause’ this illusion, truth is infinitely more complicated than that) The intellect can take a mere photograph, a mere blueprint….and then….it will go so far as to believe that this blueprint is real. It seems real, because the intellect can invent things with the blueprints that it logically works out.
The intellect works out timelessness, as well, just as you have done.
However, there is a difference between ‘configuration/conditioning/relationships’ and mere causality.

Ultimately, everything is God.
A is different from B, but both are letters.
What is everything? Can you know? The microcosm is still a puzzling mystery (not to mention the mostly uncharted outer space). However, the microcosm interests me quite a bit these days. I’ll soon be starting a thread comparing the most recent views in physics.
After deciding there was no single cause for God, now you're trying to impose a single cause onto God. No wonder you turn to science, which will never ever bring you to Ultimate Truth.

God is responsible for all processes and conditioning? Is God ‘Mind’? If that’s what you mean, then I’m intrigued. If that’s not what you mean, if you don’t see a universal cosmic mind, then I think the ‘God is responsible’ statement to be either blatantly incorrect, or just highly superfluous.
When you said God is responsible for all processes and conditionings, did you mean, God ‘causes’ all process and conditionings? That would be incorrect. That is like saying the roots of the tree ‘cause’ the branches. Not true; it only appears to be true to someone who sees reality through a filter of concepts. If God is everything, then all parts have no cause, because those parts are undivided from everything.
All the parts are causes unto themselves, since there cannot be a cause beyond them, and no single cause within them that can be responsible for the lot. So only everything is to blame for everything.

There's little meaning to the question, where does it all come from? It has always been around, because anywhere it could come from is still itself.
Once this conditionlessness is realised, there is no need to seek freedom from conditions.
By ‘realizing’ in the sense that you are talking about, seeking becomes an impossibility, an unreality. Seeking implies a seeker. It is only a deluded mind that seeks.
It's quite possible to be deluded, and to keep looking for Reality beyond what's happening.

I think David is saying that any particular conditions that appear aren't really on their own, and separate from what they aren't. So the finiteness of an appearance is an illusion. Yet the understanding of the illusoriness of all "separate appearances" is also not on its own, but is seamlessly part of the Tao. Thus, any experience can be understood to be the continuing unfoldings of the Tao.

Yes, the causeless tao.
How do you manage to shit?

K
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The intellect is only capable of thinking in terms of time which is an illusion.

No time is not just an illusion. The Before and After of time as used cognitively is sort of an illusion, but time itself is not. Things change and they can only change in some sort of domain, without time there would be no change.

Nor is time ever really an illusion, it isn’t, what it is an incomplete description of something we can never fully describe. What is delusion is thinking of time as a separate cause to space and matter (anything with any property). The trinity of space, matter and time ARE the universe, but only as "effects" and thus they have a casual factor. We can know of them only because they are effects. No-one has ever observed a cause. Everything we think of a "cause" is actually an effect - except we are able to acknowledge the concept of invisible forces, and we know that changes are driven by these forces. Invisible forces are our causes. Generalised to their most extreme forces become either contractive or expansive in nature. All I've done in my theories about the universe is recognised this and applied those forces to be the creator, the cause of space, matter and time.

Cory: No, what I am saying is ‘everything/tao/god’ has no cause. Therefore, everything that is within tao/god is a simultaneous movement of infinite variation, dimension, and configuration.

imo the universe requires inequality, it needs to not be a whole. Without inequality there could not possibly be movement, nor infinite variation, dimension, and configuration. Change only occurs because of inequality. If the universe was a "whole" and infinitely changing then it would have formed a balance by now and movement would cease, therefore whatever is the whole of the universe at any particular time must be lesser than the future "whole".
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory wrote:
CP: If 'God' = The body of cause and effect - - what causes 'the body of cause and effect?

DQ: It doesn't have any cause. This is because whatever thing or phenomena we might wish to postulate as being the cause of the body of cause and effect will necessarily be a part of this body. Thus, it's easy to see that it could never have been caused into being. It has always been around.

CP: If God doesn’t have any cause, and my seeking for enlightenment is part of God, then wouldn’t it be logical to say that my seeking for enlightenment and even my enlightenment itself both have no cause?

No, all parts within God are caused.

My seeking for enlightenment and my enlightenment are undivided from the body of cause and effect. Like you say, there is only one un-caused whole. Therefore, my seeking for enlightenment and my enlightenment, because they are at one with God - are without cause.
Only God is without cause. The parts within God are caused.

The argument you are trying to make here is wrong because it confuses the identity of the whole with the identity of its parts. It's a bit like arguing that because water is wet, each molecule of water must also be wet. It's sloppy reasoning.

My seeking for companionship (sexual or otherwise), higher position in my career, my effort to become better physically and mentally, my desire to do drugs, to read a book, to become enlightened, etc…..all of these are un-unique tendencies - -they are simply the superficial expression of ones longing for superiority (which is one with ones sensibility of inferiority). (2 sides of one coin, not causual) The painful/enthusiastic drive to be superior is not a choice, it is simply a fact that mingles with ones logic. The logic that ‘in part’ determines one’s behavior can be idiosyncratic, as well as common, whereas, the emotions, fears, drives and passions (which are akin to root below the branches of logic) are always common. There are simply qualities of conditioning’s, design, pressure, release. All the myriad forms that humanity takes are an attempt at release, relief in response to the involuntary pressure of life. One is enveloped by certain pressures, conditionings, inner and outer. None of which have a cause.
You're complicating the matter unnecessarily. Everything that happens in the world is unique in the sense that each thing has its own unqiue form and occurs in its own unique place in space and time, and this is due to its own unique set of causes. There is no need to make the issue any more complicated than this. The divisions you make above (e.g. between conditioning’s, design, pressure, release, etc) are contrived and false.

There is only one coin. 'Heads' does not cause 'tails'.
Without the existence of tails, heads couldn't possibly exist. Thus, tails is indeed a necessary cause of tails, and vice versa.

Conditioning, pressure, and release are not so much outcomes, effects, but are configurations without cause - -and thus, ultimately, ‘ there is only one without cause’.

Conditioning, pressure and release are really just subcategories of the broader conception of cause. If you want to understand the philosophic principle of causality in its very essence, then you need to stop creating these contrived subdivisions of causality. They're not real.

Instead of seeing things in terms of cause and effect, I see only differing qualities of conditionings, relationships and energy.

Instead of seeing differing qualities of conditionings, relationships and energy, I only see cause and effect.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory,
Unlike bread, the universe and man's mind should not be cut up in slices. A Concept is a form of description and a description is not what it describes, and that which is described is not what it appears to be (a seperate part).

It's easy enough to use these concepts and descriptions without being fooled by them. I don't have any problem with it.

You're currently displaying an inability to deal with language without becoming confused by it. We don't have to make any changes to the language in order to convey the Truth. The English language is perfectly adequate to the task. But you're creating an artificial problem out of it by imagining that the language should somehow capture or reflect reality in a grammatical or poetic sense.

It is important to treat language for what it is - namely, as a conceptual tool that can point the mind to realities which lie beyond the language itself. That is its primary function, and it does it very well. Words are designed to be pointers to realities, not mirrors of them.

-
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Quinn, Kelly, Jamesh.

I really have been doing my best at playing the Devils advocate on matters of cauality and time. It's likely that at least 'physical time' is real, however, our cognitive interpretation of an individualistic personal becoming is an illusion.

In all my previous posts, I was really just exploring the 'possibility' of causality being an illusion. It was more of an experiment than anything. Please understand that I have excercised my mind a great deal in the realm of cause and effect. (and i'm sure your thinking: apparently not enough!)

Overall, I have to say that 'to be able' to think in terms of causality is undoubtedly useful. however, the usefullness of 'believing' in ones conception of causlity is debatable.

There are conceptions of causality that are inferrior and superior. This I know to be true. How advanced ones conception of causality can be, I'm not sure. In my contemplations of late, it seemed like conceptions of causality could be taken so far as to reveal causality to be an illusion.

however, this I am not sure about.

I think humanity has inflicted a great deal of harm upon itself by believing in crude to even the more sophisticated forms of causality. the more sophisticated the conception of causality, the more potential it has to do great harm. I don't believe that humanity balks at cause and effect - -- It seems to me, that we wield it all too eagerly! Way back in neolithic times, primitive man learned to harness fire. He was ok with causality back then, even though he most likely didnt even remotely reflect upon its ramifications and potentials philosophically.

Man is ok with a causual conception as long as he can easily see how he will benifit from the new conception. Man only accepts what supports his motives, and hates what undermines his motives.

So, my dog will eagerly do tricks, stand on both legs and twirl, as long as his theatrics will provide him with a treat.

Causality is one thing, whereas contemplating upon the philosophical implications of cause and effect beyond the gratification that it gives is another matter. Monkeys have been observed to use rocks to crack open nuts. My dog knows very well that when there is a knock on the door, it means someone is about to come in. Animals can make connections between 2 events, and this is one of the more crude forms of causality. Animals can think in terms of cause and effect when they can see clearly how it benefits them.

I think persons will only balk at a conception of cause and effect when it undermines their means to repeat their daily, weekly, monthly, annual routine of gratifications. Peoples means to achieve gratification is based on cause and effect connections that they have accepted and made into habit.

The conception of causality that one currently subscribes to functions to support and justify ones habits and gratifications, and thus, any conception of causality that is more advanced, inevitably and invariably threatens because it undermines the comfort one derives from habit. Even a more advanced conception of cause and effect is still always incomplete and thus unwise if it is used to guide ones actions.

How advanced can one's conception of causality be?

Isnt there 'always' a higher level? If there is infinitely higher levels of causual understanding then ones current conception of causality ought to be viewed as a useful assumption to be employed very, very carefully until a new perspective destroys the old.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory wrote:
How advanced can one's conception of causality be?

Isnt there 'always' a higher level? If there is infinitely higher levels of causual understanding then ones current conception of causality ought to be viewed as a useful assumption to be employed very, very carefully until a new perspective destroys the old.
One keeps pushing the concept of causality until it successfully dissolves all boundaries between things and then that's the end of it. One cannot go any further with it. Causality now has to be left behind and one has to step up into a new and deeper truth - namely, that things have no beginning or end. Or even more accurately, there are really no things at all.

It is at this point that you can discard the concept of causality. It has fulfilled its function. It is like rowing a boat to the other side of a river - once you reach the other side, you can leave the boat behind and continue travelling.

Understanding causality and pushing it all the way is but the first step towards enlightenment. There are still many more steps to go.

-