Meditation

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Pye

Post by Pye »

prince writes:
Are you sure it's not you who is doing the spinning?
My words about meditation are also reflective of my thinking. So go ahead and compare.
This thread seems to be about meditation, not about meditation.
Two things here, prince. If you are subtle enough to make such a distinction, you know that the one can be talked about and the other cannot. If it's esoterica about particular meditative schools and methods, I won't be able to contribute.  

Sapius writes:
Quote:
P: One cannot arrive to the present (truth, reality, eternity, infinity) by conceptual recipe.

S: Isn’t present a concept too?
In a word, yes. But I have nothing else to use to refer to my immediate living, when describing it here.

Jason writes:
So if the present is where everything is, how could anything( including yourself, abstract thought etc) ever be outside the present?
Again, this is well functioning conceptualization, but it's simpler than that; more workperson-like in approach. This is a matter of where your mind's thoughts are usually in residence - immersed in the past; projecting the future (fantasy); or paying attention to what's in front of your face.

Sue writes:
Pye’s idea of meditation is a very popular view, especially amongst women. By building up the present as something different and separate from our usual experience, it makes it look like something mystical and magical - which of course it isn’t.
Well-knowing how the majority of this forum tends to sniff-out and bloodhound things along these mas/fem lines, I still have to chuckle here. I remember on a visit here once, David was floating around the cosmos in some sort of Buddhamobile, serenely viewing the world from above. Although I understand his analogy just fine, you will have to point out to me anything in my description that strikes you as "magical" and "mystical." That is not the experience I have of it at all. It brings me right back into my living and my living thoughts -- whether they are in the past or future or not. It's where I can see them happening.

DHodges writes:
Thanks for the reminder.

It's something I need to get back to, as well.
Thanks for hearing me.

(edited for spelling errors)
Pye

Post by Pye »

Sapius, whose thoughts I've appreciated reading before on this forum, the better answer to your question of "Isn't the present a concept" would have been for me to take my shoe off and conk you over the head with it . . . . if you were present here . . . . You'd know right what it is then, yes?

But then, I'm not into the S&M side of Zen . . . . ;) Further, I have to wear orthotic dansko clogs for the high foot arches. I'd probably accidentally give you a concussion :o
Kevin Solway

Re: Meditation

Post by Kevin Solway »

Pye wrote:There are some serious misconceptions about meditation parked in this thread -- descriptions that I think come from people who have really only read about meditation or heard about it, have limited experience with it, perhaps even rejecting it out of hand. One can see the spin being put on it by the individual thinker. Let me start with the most serious misconception of all.
My dislike of "meditation", as I have seen it commonly taught and practised, is that it does not lead to truth. I know people who have been meditating, concentrating on their breath, for twenty years, with and without instruction from gurus, and are just as deluded now as they were when they started - if not more so.

Their meditation helps provide a pool of relative quietness apart from their normal hellish or animal-like lives, but that's about it.

Indeed the foolish make meditation foolishness. But that's how it is with all things.
Kevin Solway wrote:
Have you ever met a girl you can't stop thinking about? [and] For example, when you love a girl deeply then you are thinking of this girl, in some fashion, all of the time, sleeping or waking. You see her everywhere, in crowds she's not even in, etc. Every thing reminds you of her.
This is a gravely miscast analogy. What you describe above is obsession, and further, obsession based upon a great physiological riot.
Such a love is based upon a lot of things, but that is how overpowering, even obsessive a person has to be about obtaining Truth, if they are ever to break through the barrier and eventually find it. It is that kind of obsession that leads great men to abandon their families, as did the Buddha, or to hate his parents, as did Jesus.

Many wise men have remarked that women are unable to love, and it may be this reason alone that has prevented women from achieving great wisdom and genius.

Woman's madness tends to be of a different kind to man's.
sschaula writes as well:
It's just developing a state of mind that's completely absorbed in one thing.
the present.
Ideally meditation should only focus the mind on Truth, on Reality. If a person's mind rests in some kind of present, but without a thorough comprehension of Ultimate Reality, Truth - if it just watches without knowing - then it's as good as nothing.

I grant that thinking of the breath can be helpful. I remember as a child I would often drift off to sleep while contemplating my breath and its meaning. It was very helpful to me in developing my contemplative abilities, but it's not a cure-all.
The purpose of meditation is to get to know the nature of your own mind.
So long as this means enlightenment and Buddhahood, then I am in agreement. If it means anything else, then I find it relatively uninteresting.

It's goal is to bring you into the present. That's where everything is.
Yes, but everything must be understood in the light of Truth, not merely experienced.

It is very inviting to experience the "present", which is why so many people practice "meditation". But Truth is not so inviting. It destroys lives and families. Only those who love it with all their hearts can navigate its barriers.
Paying attention to the breath is the quickest and most efficient way to bring you into the present. No, it is not the ultimate goal, but it is the clearest way to enter into it.
That sounds a little too dogmatic for me. The breath can certainly be a good way to remind one of reality, but it's not the only way. Different people will prefer different ones.
I like to find triggers in the most unlikely things. For all things are exactly like the breath.

Those who fail to learn how to truly meditate are those who fail to see the breath in all things - call it the spirit in all things - the soul - the Buddha-nature.
DHodges

Re: Meditation

Post by DHodges »

ksolway wrote:Ideally meditation should only focus the mind on Truth, on Reality. If a person's mind rests in some kind of present, but without a thorough comprehension of Ultimate Reality, Truth - if it just watches without knowing - then it's as good as nothing.

I grant that thinking of the breath can be helpful. I remember as a child I would often drift off to sleep while contemplating my breath and its meaning. It was very helpful to me in developing my contemplative abilities, but it's not a cure-all.
Yes, meditation helps you develop concentration and focus. In order to focus on truth, you have to be able to focus. It's an essential tool.

I don't think it's something you develop, and then you just have it forever. It's a tool that needs to be used, to be kept sharp.

Also, people reading this are going to be at all different stages of development. For some, it will be extremely helpful. For others, maybe not so much. But you can't know that unless you have tried it.
Those who fail to learn how to truly meditate are those who fail to see the breath in all things - call it the spirit in all things - the soul - the Buddha-nature.

Meditating on the breath itself, surely, is a good start to seeing the breath in all things. You have to see the breath in the breath, first, before you see it in all things.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sapius, whose thoughts I've appreciated reading before on this forum, the better answer to your question of "Isn't the present a concept" would have been for me to take my shoe off and conk you over the head with it . . . . if you were present here . . . . You'd know right what it is then, yes?
Hehehe… You’re most welcome, Pye. Lucky for me that I was not present :D

My real issue is something different though.

Arriving at the present without conceptual recipe holds no meaning, because we have nothing other than the conceptual world, and without concepts, there would be no present, or anything meaningful whatsoever. However, I can understand that we are actually experiencing only the present, as a whole, and we are always already in the now, and I can know that conceptually. Can’t I? I think now would express it better than present. All is nothing but now. What do you think? Of course, all means Totality.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Meditation is like doing push-ups. Fine, if you are unfit, but it shouldn't be confused with the climb up to Mount Everest.

When the Buddha sat down underneath the Bodhi Tree, he vowed never to get up again until he attained enlightenment. This was after six years of practicing asceticism and conventional meditation, as described by Pye in this thread. He found that it wasn't working, that it was the wrong methodology. And so he finally decided to do what he should have done six years beforehand - namely, engage in some serious thought and resolve once and for all the great riddle of existence.

The next day, when some former colleagues ran into him, he exclaimed that he now knew everything, that everything had been utterly resolved, much to their bemusement. Now that is what I call serious meditation.

-
Pye

Post by Pye »

Excerpted from The Teaching of Buddha
Published by Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism)
Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Two hundred and forty-fifth revised edition, 2001
4. Thus the spiritual struggle went on in the mind of the Prince until his only child, Rahula, was born when he was 29. This seemed to bring things to a climax, for he then decided to leave the palace and look for the solution of his spiritual unrest in the homeless life of the mendicant. He left the castle one night with his only charioteer, Chandaka, and his favorite horse, Kanthaka.

His anguish did not end and many devils tempted him saying: "You would do better to return to the castle for the whole world would soon be yours." But he told the devil that he did not want the whole world. So he shaved his head and turned his steps toward the South carrying a begging bowl in his hand.

The Prince first visited the hermit Bhagava and watched his ascetic practices. He then went to Arada Kalama and Udraka Ramaputra to learn their methods of attaining enlightenment through meditation; but after practicing them for a time he became convinced that they would not lead him to enlightenment. Finally he went to the land of Magadha and practiced asceticism in the forest of Uruvilva on the banks of the Nairanjana River, which flows by the Gaya Village.

5. The methods of his practice were unbelievably rigorous. He spurred himself on with the thought that "no ascetic in the past, none in the present, and none in the future, ever practiced or ever will practice more earnestly than I do."

Still the Prince could not realize his goal. After six years in the forest he gave up the practice of asceticism. He went bathing in the river and accepted a bowl of milk from the hands of Sujata, a maiden, who lived in the neighboring village. The five companions who had lived with the Prince during his six years of ascetic practice were shocked that he should receive milk from the hand of a maiden; the thought him degraded and left him.

Thus the Prince was left alone. He was still weak, but at the risk of losing his life he attempted yet another period of meditation, saying to himself, "Blood may become exhausted, flesh may decay, bones may fall apart, but I will never leave this place until I find the way to enlightenment."

It was an intense and incomparable struggle for him. He was desperate and filled with confusing thoughts, dark shadows overhung his spirit, and he was beleaguered by all the lures of the devils. Carefully and patiently he examined them one by one and rejected them all. It was a hard struggle indeed, making his blood run thin, his flesh fall away, and his bones crack.

But when the morning star appeared in the eastern sky, the struggle was over and the Prince's mind was clear and bright as the breaking day. He had, at last, found the path to enlightenment . . . . "[emphasis mine]
I go to the trouble of this excerpt so that 1. we might recognize an important distinction here and 2. that I might tell Kevin I agree with him when he says:
I know people who have been meditating, concentrating on their breath, for twenty years, with and without instruction from gurus, and are just as deluded now as they were when they started - if not more so.
I know these people, too, and more than only breathing, they are busy adapting to various techniques of various teachers -- transcendental this and flame-focus that, etc. -- in other words, doing everything but learning the nature of their own minds. This said, I personally don't begrudge anyone what little respite they can gain from their suffering in these methods, but to be sure, I know exactly the "more deluded" you refer to in your quote.

The Buddha found these techniques ("their methods") inadequate and so have I. Read carefully what is happening in this excerpt the second time around. It is that work of recognition of sickness ("devils"), dismantling ("carefully and patiently"), and finally rejection that characterizes the material of meditation -- what is in one's own mind.
Ideally meditation should only focus the mind on Truth, on Reality.
Is that what you see happening with the Buddha in this excerpt?

Here is the problem I see with this, Kevin. How can one see the nature of truth if they cannot first see the nature of the instrument that is looking for it? Do you know fully the nature of your own mind? Its little sicknesses and tape-loops and obsessions and justifications? If you don't know these, you cannot point the instrument very acutely, in my estimation and my experience.

DHodges writes:
I don't think it's something you develop, and then you just have it forever. It's a tool that needs to be used, to be kept sharp.
Amongst a number of things you've well-said about the subject, this one is the best. The Buddha's experience was satori in nature -- sudden, full, and complete (and even amongst adepts, you will get much argument about the slow or the sudden way [not to mention even if satori is real at all!]). But then, that's what makes the Buddha, Buddha, yes? :) He got it in one.

Myself, I am not a Buddha. I am still learning the nature of my own mind. In doing so, there are still things to come clear from it; one little sickness after another to recognize over and over; to eventually become sick of and discard. In this process, I move myself closer to bright attention for that which is in front of my face (reality).

Anyone can learn to repeat A=A, the law of causality, the need for egoless clarity -- even see into these things, understand them conceptually. Anyone can graft the truth onto their minds, repeat it until it reaches the level of monkey-do mantra. One will have to keep working and working to hold onto it in that circumstance (in my estimation) -- stay obsessively focused upon it because it will take obsession to maintain it. Anyone can come at the truth in a received manner, but it won't stick coming from the outside.

That's how I see the Buddha in his second attempt under the bodhi tree. He knew that, and so he worked it from the other direction.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Kevin also wrote:
But Truth is not so inviting. It destroys lives and families. Only those who love it with all their hearts can navigate its barriers.
For whatever anecdotal edification this might provide, I am asked now and again to teach an adult-returning course called Philosophy and Women at the other uni. Although I am not particularly enthralled with this lower-order concern (gender issues), I sport an uncomfortable track record with turning out divorces, breakings with boyfriends, career changes, and just a general atmosphere of discontent. Let me clarify: The discontent does not lay within the complaints against patriarchy, but within the women themselves. I put the entire onus and focus upon them, and they are shocked to find that mostly and by and large, they cannot locate anything in themselves commensurate with authenticity. It's disturbing, and I intend to disturb them.

A number of former students to this course have also quit dying their hair, stopped wearing makeup (I don't "teach" this response; it seems to come about naturally) and given up on the prissing and the preening in general and have started to deal with their own sicknesses of looks consciousness and man-needing and the art of manipulation in both. Not all, but a significant number of them. Just the other day, I saw a former student on break from the weekend seminar, and she came up to me to thank me for ruining her life. This was with sparkling eyes and a really nice laugh in her throat. The course has become "famous" locally and the joke is not to take it if you don't like to squirm (point being, who does?)

Interestingly, before we have done any work -- before we have read anything or discussed anything or broken anything open -- I ask them what is the most fulfilling thing they have each done to date in their lives. So far, only one woman has mentioned her children, and absolutely none their marriage, or their family life or anything like this. Several have said that getting out of bad marriages and recommencing their educations was the most fulfilling thing so far. A few will mention their pursuit of art and creativity. A few will mentioned their friendships with other women.

Clearly, big things must happen in movement like this; some destruction of the status-quo. Is it a rock-solid necessity?

That's a pretty good question. I don't know too many authentic things that get built upon rotten foundations.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The Buddha's experience was satori in nature -- sudden, full, and complete (and even amongst adepts, you will get much argument about the slow or the sudden way [not to mention even if satori is real at all!]).

I place almost zero faith in the stories of old, including ol siddi boy.

I've never had the least inking of a satori, but I drink and smoke dope, so that can be explained.

I do not believe in any way that a person can have a satori without first having been very deeply involved in many different philosophies. Personally I think satoris are not a reflection of a persons understanding of reality, but a relationship to fundamentalist thoughts. We all seek fundamentalism, and where a persons mind, that has been seeking answers of any type with considerable effort, decides enough is enough it permantly joins the dots of reality, it removes the doubt, but the delusion of non-self remains in place. IMO, it is impossible for a being to place themsleves outside of the self.

I think both satoris and enlightenment itself is delusion. Enlightenment is a lasting lower key form of satori with delusions of granduer, and it is these delusions of grandeur together with the emotional memory of the satori that make the enlightenment lasting, not some essential newly found knowledge of reality (albiet that joining the dots creates something new).
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That's a pretty good question. I don't know too many authentic things that get built upon rotten foundations.

Depends what you mean by rotten. I think most originality comes from rotten foundations. By rotten I mean something that does not appeal to the general populace. To them things that do not appeal to animal instincts are bad, rotten, evil.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Pye wrote:Here is the problem I see with this, Kevin. How can one see the nature of truth if they cannot first see the nature of the instrument that is looking for it? Do you know fully the nature of your own mind? Its little sicknesses and tape-loops and obsessions and justifications? If you don't know these, you cannot point the instrument very acutely, in my estimation and my experience.
I agree that self-analysis and awareness of your own minds workings is one part of the search for ultimate understanding. Examining and understanding the nature of the instrument which is doing the searching is extremely important. But I think it is only part of the story. The non-self, the "other" also needs to be examined and it's nature understood. Then there is the fundamental understanding which applies to both the nature of self and the other(and Everything).

Do you think it is possible to know the nature of your mind fully? What about the problems of self denial and ignorance? You cannot know, by default, that you are ignorant or in denial about something. So even when you finally think the nature of your mind is fully known, how could you ever be absolutely sure?
Last edited by Jason on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Pye wrote:
Kevin wrote:Ideally meditation should only focus the mind on Truth, on Reality.
Is that what you see happening with the Buddha in this excerpt?
Yes, I'd say so. In the end he finally achieved meditation. Up until then he was only attempting it.

The proof of meditation is whether a person is enlightened at the end of it.
Here is the problem I see with this, Kevin. How can one see the nature of truth if they cannot first see the nature of the instrument that is looking for it?
At first there must be an intellectual understanding of the nature of the mind that perceives, along with an understanding of cause and effect, etc. With luck this progresses to deeper realizations and enlightenment.

Sometimes it can be passable to call these lesser contemplatons "meditations". But, as I say, the real proof of them is whether they bring enlightenment.
Do you know fully the nature of your own mind? Its little sicknesses and tape-loops and obsessions and justifications? If you don't know these, you cannot point the instrument very acutely, in my estimation and my experience.
All these demons must be dealt with, but they can't be defeated by rooting them out one by one in some kind of painstaking effort. The reason being that they are all illusory, and are continually generated by a core of deluson. Once their illusory nature is realized, and if there a determination to do anything about it, the demons and little sicknesses vanish.

The only value in recognizing the faults is to remind you that you have strayed from the path.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Pye posted:
Excerpted from The Teaching of Buddha
Published by Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism)
Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Two hundred and forty-fifth revised edition, 2001

4. Thus the spiritual struggle went on in the mind of the Prince until his only child, Rahula, was born when he was 29. This seemed to bring things to a climax, for he then decided to leave the palace and look for the solution of his spiritual unrest in the homeless life of the mendicant. He left the castle one night with his only charioteer, Chandaka, and his favorite horse, Kanthaka.

His anguish did not end and many devils tempted him saying: "You would do better to return to the castle for the whole world would soon be yours." But he told the devil that he did not want the whole world. So he shaved his head and turned his steps toward the South carrying a begging bowl in his hand.

The Prince first visited the hermit Bhagava and watched his ascetic practices. He then went to Arada Kalama and Udraka Ramaputra to learn their methods of attaining enlightenment through meditation; but after practicing them for a time he became convinced that they would not lead him to enlightenment. Finally he went to the land of Magadha and practiced asceticism in the forest of Uruvilva on the banks of the Nairanjana River, which flows by the Gaya Village.

5. The methods of his practice were unbelievably rigorous. He spurred himself on with the thought that "no ascetic in the past, none in the present, and none in the future, ever practiced or ever will practice more earnestly than I do."

Still the Prince could not realize his goal. After six years in the forest he gave up the practice of asceticism. He went bathing in the river and accepted a bowl of milk from the hands of Sujata, a maiden, who lived in the neighboring village. The five companions who had lived with the Prince during his six years of ascetic practice were shocked that he should receive milk from the hand of a maiden; the thought him degraded and left him.

Thus the Prince was left alone. He was still weak, but at the risk of losing his life he attempted yet another period of meditation, saying to himself, "Blood may become exhausted, flesh may decay, bones may fall apart, but I will never leave this place until I find the way to enlightenment."

It was an intense and incomparable struggle for him. He was desperate and filled with confusing thoughts, dark shadows overhung his spirit, and he was beleaguered by all the lures of the devils. Carefully and patiently he examined them one by one and rejected them all. It was a hard struggle indeed, making his blood run thin, his flesh fall away, and his bones crack.

But when the morning star appeared in the eastern sky, the struggle was over and the Prince's mind was clear and bright as the breaking day. He had, at last, found the path to enlightenment . . . . "[emphasis mine]
For six years, he attempted the conventional practice of trying to still the mind and access a transcendent state of being, but eventually discerned the flaw in this (it still trapped him in duality). And so he finally decided to practice the rare meditational technique of trying to work out with his own mind what was ultimately true in life.

Needless to say, hardly a Buddhist ever since has followed suit.

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Well, a lot has happened since I last posted, Pye. Forgive me for any repetition -- and feel free to ignore anything I might say below that has already been addressed. I shall read through the replies after I have posted.

Kevin Solway wrote:
It is natural for the mind to think about a whole range of things in quick succession - the trick is to see the Truth in all those things.
Pye responded:
There is no "trick" to this. And what you want to see first is all the "untruth" in that range of things. If you have not faced squarely the nature of your own mind, everything you try to apply to it will eventually fall off like a old band-aid.

Paying attention to the breath is the quickest and most efficient way to bring you into the present. No, it is not the ultimate goal, but it is the clearest way to enter into it. Interestingly, it is the gesture of both the beginner and the adept. It is helpful to both. When one goes to sit and offload the streaming dialogue of the day, the breath is the door. And meditation is like this; this is why it is done for a lifetime amongst the really serious. There's a lot of offloading needs done in a noisy world. If you don't -- if you leave it there -- it will take root in the originally turned soil of delusion and start growing there again.
So, given the fact that meditating on the breath is done for a lifetime by the serious, there is no knowing the nature of your own mind -- only getting to know its nature, which you stated at the beginning of this post as the goal of meditation?

I do not understand this. If paying attention to the breath is not the ultimate goal yet, at the same time, it is the clearest way to “enter into the present,” what’s missing?

It seems to me, after a certain point, that focussing on a single thing in one’s environment puts one at risk of using such meditation as nothing more than a crutch. To "be in the present," one must be able to perceive the present in its entirety and exactly as it is, which includes the recognition of one‘s thoughts and memories as one's thoughts and memories. If focussing on breathing does not take one to the ultimate goal, what is its use beyond temporary therapy (employed for a lifetime, in serious cases, no less), especially since it -- in and of itself -- apparently removes one from the present and places them squarely into one aspect of it: their own breathing alone.

How does one get beyond the noise of their own mind through meditation once and for all if they cannot come to know the nature of it that way?
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

James, sometimes I think you need a good, hard smack in the head -- and a detox.

How can you say this (even though I think you're failing to distinguish between the concepts of self and ego):
IMO, it is impossible for a being to place themsleves outside of the self.
And elsewhere claim that there can be such a thing as a rock that exists outside of human definition?

Just something that caught my eye in passing.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

There is something fundamentally wrong with the idea of sitting down in a formal posture for thirty minutes or an hour every day and considering this to be your spiritual practice, or even a key aspect of your spiritual practice. It too easily leads the meditator to start compartmentalizing God into that half hour.

It is a bit like the way the mainstream Catholic compartmentalizes his worship of God into an hour of Mass each week, and then lives like a godless heathen for the rest of the week.

One's relationship to God needs to be a full-time affair with every waking moment devoted to Him. It is only in this context that meditation can become a more spontaneous and natural occurance. If, in a particular moment of the day, you suddenly feel a need to focus wholly upon the nature of God and immerse yourself deeply in Him, then you can simply sit or lie dow in a natural fashion and do it. Having to wait until the evening and then sitting awkwardly in a formal position and practicing a ritualized methodology is impractical, to say the least, and, to my mind, rather insane.

I remember attending a lecture by a visiting female Zen Master from the States with Kevin Solway many years ago. Apart from parroting the usual Zen scripts, she talked very little about Reality or the essentials of the spiritual path - certainly not in a personal, knowledgeable manner. She did, however, reminisce a lot about her experiences of meditating formally during a recent trip to Asia. She spoke fondly of her various "sittings" in these countries. "I sat in Thailand", she stated proudly. "And then I sat in Vietnam - oh, that was a lovely sitting, that one - and then, after that, I sat in Hong Kong, and then I went to Japan and sat there...."

She was, of course, quite, quite mad.

-

Edit: I just recalled that her name was Roselyn Stone and that she appeared on our radio show - The Question of Authority. The title of her lecture was, "The Sound of One Woman Sitting".

-
Pye

Post by Pye »

David writes:
There is something fundamentally wrong with the idea of sitting down in a formal posture for thirty minutes . . . . . . . . . . .
:) That's okay. David. You don't have to re-reject (with subtle underminings of airy women and 'formal' postures) something you have already rejected. You know your own mind, and it's made-up. No need, really, to overwork it, yes? And those who love and follow you will follow your suit, most likely without trying it either, so no worries. One P will hardly make a difference here against a Q an R and an S :)

I mostly asked, and described, on account of your being a seeker of perfect Buddhahood. I am not a seeker of this, but have still found the quiet of the present a better place to dismantle the noisy sicknesses of the mind, and bring about the necessary deaths.

Kevin writes:
It appeared to work for the Buddha.

That's sort of funnny, Kevin. It's like you're standing in a car lot looking suspiciously at a vehicle, saying you won't buy the thing unless it handles perfectly, but you won't get in to find out!

Nevertheless, Ta for the engagement on it, one and all.

(edited for the comment to Kevin)
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Pye wrote:Kevin writes:
It appeared to work for the Buddha.
Yes, it was only right at the very end that he worked out how to meditate. Then he was enlightened.
It's like you're standing in a car lot looking suspiciously at a vehicle, saying you won't buy the thing unless it handles perfectly, but you won't get in to find out!
The meditation I practice is seeing the breath in all things, at all times.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Pye wrote:
DQ: There is something fundamentally wrong with the idea of sitting down in a formal posture for thirty minutes . . . . . . . . . . .

P: That's okay. David. You don't have to re-reject (with subtle underminings of airy women and 'formal' postures) something you have already rejected. You know your own mind, and it's made-up. No need, really, to overwork it, yes? And those who love and follow you will follow your suit, most likely without trying it either, so no worries. One P will hardly make a difference here against a Q an R and an S :)

I used to practice conventional meditation when I was younger (in my early twenties). But then I began to experience numerous altered states of consciousness in all sorts of circumstances, no matter what I was doing - mainly as a result of my constant intellectual striving for ultimate understanding, which was, at that point, my way of life. And as my mind was already pretty relaxed and focused to begin with, I saw no need to continue (formal) meditating. It was like painting legs on a snake. It seemed redundant.

I'd rather people strive for that which lies beyond meditational peace and altered states - which are mere crumbs compared to the great feast of Truth. That's primarily why I speak against it, although I do recognize that some people can gain benefit from it.

If one's mind is constantly agitated, or if one is allowing one's self to be constantly absorbed in the bullshit of the world, then maybe meditation can help clear some space. On its own, however, it's too feeble to break through into Truth.

-
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Meditation is like doing push-ups. Fine, if you are unfit, but it shouldn't be confused with the climb up to Mount Everest.
David, are you sure about it being like push-ups?

I personally have nothing against meditation, only that I find it hard to think of it even as push-ups. It is like that person preparing to climb Mount Everest by indulging in inactivity of the muscles, any ways, each to his own.

In my opinion, the “mind” is already focused on whatever it is engaged at, at any given moment; it is only a matter of deciphering and understanding what it is focused at, and why there would be a need to divert that focus, and all that can be achieved only through logic and reasoning. What one thinks “disturbs” the mind, is itself actually the process of focusing going on, only that one has to keep a logical tab on its direction and move accordingly. Now how can this faculty of reasoning, which is but a functioning process that we call “the mind”, get an exercise by trying to keep it still and “focused” on one particular thought?

One would need to shatter what is already know, by logically questioning each and every layer that blinds us, until one reaches the most inner core of this onion called existence, to ultimately find that the core is actually the last layer and that there is no core at all. Finally returning to “eat” the onion for he now really knows what an onion is. An almost unexplainably alive perspective, that there is no Reality other than Totality. I think this sums up what you have said in the ABC thread to Jason, but in a more poetic way.

All that is needed to trigger all this is just a single doubt, which is already provided by the nature in the form of ‘why’, and most importantly the unsatisfying urge to really know it for your-self. I would say that places like these philosophical forums are far better parlors of “meditation” if exercising and focusing of the mind is what’s in question. However, this in no way negates the fact that the time taken to simply think, think, and think, in solitude, is absolutely essential. If this fire really takes momentum, there will be a time when one is always in that frame of mind no matter what the mind is engaged in, at any waking moment. And the moment one really comprehends and realizes that there is no other Reality than Totality, there is no way one could get out of that frame of mind, irrelevant of what it experiences thence forth.

Pye,
And those who love and follow you will follow your suit, most likely without trying it either, so no worries. One P will hardly make a difference here against a Q an R and an S :)
Not that I'm calling you out for a fight, but I simply don't see where the follow and lead is, unless you think that no one ever things for himself. And do you think that any of your thoughts are not being respected simply because QRS may not agree? Why do you think you are up against anything at all? QRS, are not the ultimate authority on anything, only logic rules. I find no reason to not respect your thoughts.
Last edited by Sapius on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Alright then,
David writes:
I used to practice conventional meditation
and writes of the Budda
And so he finally decided to practice the rare meditational technique
In the interest of clarity, I would state that the only "type" of meditation I have ever understood as meditation is that work of dismantling the mind's sicknesses as described in this oldest extant description of the Buddha's experience. So in the framework of Buddhism, it is the only "convention" I know.

But that's alright; we can use your words. I have also rejected what you call "conventional" meditation, and I have stated with plain language and simple implication (again and again) that it is not about 1. breathing/the breath 2. zoning out 3. getting a buzz on 4. reaching altered states 5. peacing-out 6. transcendental this and that 7. escape of any kind.

In turn, I have stated in plain language that it is about the work of coming to know the nature of one's own mind -- its sicknesses and tape-loops and obsessions and justifications; and its conceptual entanglements that base themselves upon these. Not by category or received acceptance that this is happening, but by the actual seeing of one's own. I have not described this work as relaxing or peaceful in any way, even if keeping to your even-breathing will help calm and concentrate you as you see, get sick of, and eventually uproot these things that stand before one's sight, preventing them from seeing what is right in front of their faces (reality). I have also stated quite clearly that it takes a long time, and few since the Buddha's exceptional experience have disagreed.

again:
I used to practice conventional meditation
when I was younger (in my early twenties). But then I began to experience numerous altered states of consciousness in all sorts of circumstances, no matter what I was doing - mainly as a result of my constant intellectual striving for ultimate understanding, which was, at that point, my way of life. And as my mind was already pretty relaxed and focused to begin with, I saw no need to continue (formal) meditating.
This appears to tell us that the "altered states of consciousness" were the result of the "constant intellectual striving for ultimate understanding," and so does not speak well of the "constant intellectual striving." And when you say your mind was "already pretty relaxed and focused," you are skipping over the the cleaned mind, that, what you call the "rare" type of meditation is aimed to achieve.

As for "formal" meditation, I have not said one word about the necessity for postures, time-frames, chanting, proper locations -- in short, nothing about these little accouterments usually associated with people who approach meditation from (and for) the form and not their own contents of their own minds.

Kevin is more direct in addressing that which I've put here in front of our faces as meditation, and so I can more directly see his rejection of the Buddha's experience this way:
All these demons must be dealt with, but they can't be defeated by rooting them out one by one in some kind of painstaking effort.

But the cart is still before the horse here:
Once their illusory nature is realized, and if there a determination to do anything about it, the demons and little sicknesses vanish.
You describe here the result of learning the nature of one's own mind without first looking at its actual contents (meditation).

and here (the cart is also before the horse):
Yes, it was only right at the very end that he worked out how to meditate. Then he was enlightened.
One last time: The purpose of meditation is to learn the nature of one's own mind. Once one is sick-of, able to stop ruminating in the little sicknesses, obsessions, tape-loops, and justifications (the "past/future"), one can begin to see the present more clearly, and once one can see what is right in front of one's face, one has arrived to, has a chance to stay in, reality.

If one cannot see what it is in front of one's face (for example, the direct manner I have described meditation), then one must be suspicious that there is still a little sickness, obsession, tape-loop, or justification soiling the view. Reject on these clean grounds (as Kevin has begun to do) and I will be able to more clearly understand you. Otherwise, I have to deal with someone else's smeared windscreen.

If it is not apparent yet, I will connect some dots: my original advice to NickOtani as philosopher is akin to the advice here, in going it alone. From the "entrails" up. There is, pardon me, a lot of shit down there to overcome.

As for the philosophy and the work of reasoning, I am up to my ears in it everyday! But where I see reality, is right in front of my face, and not in these rare and handsomely decorated rooms of reason in my mind. Goodness knows, though, how often I enjoy sitting in them :)
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Pye wrote:But the cart is still before the horse here:
Once their illusory nature is realized, and if there a determination to do anything about it, the demons and little sicknesses vanish.
You describe here the result of learning the nature of one's own mind without first looking at its actual contents (meditation).

No, the "meditation" happens in association with the awakening, as it did with the Buddha. The two are joined in one.

But if there is no awakening, there is no meditation.

Therefore there is hardly a so-called "meditator" anywhere on earth who is really meditating.

The examination of the contents of experience and the transcending of all delusions only takes a fraction of a second. If it takes any longer than this, then the person has missed the boat.

Ideas such as "meditating for two hours", for example, doesn't make any sense. Either a person breaks-through into the clarity of enlightenment in a flash, or they are bogged-down in the mire of delusion and might never escape.
The purpose of meditation is to learn the nature of one's own mind.
I would say it is to learn the nature of everything. This takes only a fraction of a second.
But where I see reality, is right in front of my face
That's what A=A means, ultimately.

I suspect I have a narrower definition of what meditation means than yourself.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Quote:
P: The purpose of meditation is to learn the nature of one's own mind.

K: I would say it is to learn the nature of everything.
As with your surfer/wave example, we then know we are both talking about the same thing.
K: This takes only a fraction of a second.
You are a believer (and even experiencer) of satori then. Having had this fraction of a second, we're now faced with the problem of constant concentration on the truth (easy or hard) as you state here:
if you have a deep love of Truth then you won't have any problem concentrating on it.
One would surmise that the need for constant concentration on the Truth is no longer necessary after satori. One is, with ease, seeing it, living it; one needn't cling. This is a great sticking point in living Buddhist practice, this satori issue, argued ad nauseum.
P: But where I see reality, is right in front of my face
K: That's what A=A means, ultimately.
Then I prefer this definition of yours for A=A (removed as an expression of individual thinghood). It is also why I took issue with it in the first place (on the ABCs thread) as an expression of individual thinghood, and have it in my own mind as an expression of all existence. In doing this, it shuts out any fanciful metaphysical expressions that assume to set themselves outside of A=A, or assume themselves to speak of A.
I suspect I have a narrower definition of what meditation means than yourself.
Thanks, that's helpful for clarity's sake, ta. Clearly, we do! (have these different definitions).
Pye

Post by Pye »

P: And those who love and follow you will follow your suit, most likely without trying it either, so no worries. One P will hardly make a difference here against a Q an R and an S :)

S: Not that I'm calling you out for a fight, but I simply don't see where the follow and lead is, unless you think that no one ever things for himself. And do you think that any of your thoughts are not being respected simply because QRS may not agree? Why do you think you are up against anything at all? QRS, are not the ultimate authority on anything, only logic rules. I find no reason to not respect your thoughts.
Good morning from cold winter in America, Sapius! Indeed, I was hoping those little smiley faces would render the comment impotent of whining, and I'm not particularly concerned about respect for myself. You are right, there are many kinds of thinkers here not all in agreement. It is indeed only those following David's teachings/advice to which I referred. No, it was more for David. I do respect his turf and I appreciate most of what he is doing here.

The onion is well-spoken, Sapius.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

In turn, I have stated in plain language that it is about the work of coming to know the nature of one's own mind -- its sicknesses and tape-loops and obsessions and justifications; and its conceptual entanglements that base themselves upon these. Not by category or received acceptance that this is happening, but by the actual seeing of one's own.
Keeping all other things aside, I’m really quite curious about this, Pye.
“it is about the work of coming to know the nature of one’s own mind”
And that work is meditation I take it. But by what means can one come to know?
“Not by category or received acceptance that this is happening, but by the actual seeing of one's own.”
Well, one’s own what? Is there an own other than the mind that can actually see? Is own and the mind two different things? Is it this own that that will actually see the nature of THE mind from an “outside” perspective? That is to say that something, which is actually the own, sees the working of one’s (own) mind?

How did you come to see that all is the present if not through reasoning? Yes, it is a very essential and hard to actually see insight which has already confirmed the nature of the mind. That nothing exists for it other than what it is engaged in at present, including its conceptualization of time or anything related to it. But if one wants to take that as the end of the story, so be it, but in my opinion that is not the end of the story. Totality is a huge jigsaw puzzle to be analyzed piece by piece and to see how and where each piece fits; however essential, all is present is just one of those pieces. We experience it so and could see it as such because we are sitting and intercepting the top tip of the curve of the flow of cause and effect, which makes the realization of the nature of the mind, all is present, possible. It takes all the pieces set right, seen at once, to see the real picture. And the real picture says, that there is no real and solid picture at all. Not even the mind by itself, let alone a profound realization such as all is present staring us in the face.

I remember I saw this quote by someone on the not much liked Nick Otani site, but I find it quite appropriate to mention here. “No matter, never mind.”