Is it important to know your IQ?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
catsndogs

Is it important to know your IQ?

Post by catsndogs »

Is a smart person who knows their IQ less smart than if they didn't know their IQ, and is a less smart person who doesn't know their IQ a bit smarter for not knowing their IQ?
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Is it important to know your IQ?

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

catsndogs wrote:Is a smart person who knows their IQ less smart than if they didn't know their IQ, and is a less smart person who doesn't know their IQ a bit smarter for not knowing their IQ?
Cats, the least smart is the one who doesn't know what IQ really is but still wants to discuss it on a discussionboard which advertises to be solely about wisdom, not intellectual status. The whole question shows an obsession better dropped.
catsndogs

Post by catsndogs »

I have no problem with being the least smart.

So you've never considered this question?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

catsndogs wrote:I have no problem with being the least smart.

Have you ever considered what you are asking and why?

A certain amount of IQ is awarded as an indication of a capability to do specific supervised mental tests, eg CATTELL or Wechsler. That could be to the advantage of the one doing the test, like knowing where ones talents lie. Strong abstraction or association skills do not equal the skill to reason properly so it doesn't seem to have not much to do with being 'smart' in general, which would just mean having a healthy developed reason. Of course a strong lack in the capability of doing abstraction or making association will make it almost impossible to reason properly, so the inverse might be true: knowing ones lack of IQ, or any other mental deficiency might make that person 'smarter' in the sense of knowing ones own weaknesses.

Around the idea of 'high intelligence' and 'gifted' are hanging the same nervous, ego-feeding expectations as for example 'enlightenment'. So for weak people with a feeble and starved ego it would be better not to know their IQ, if above average, or to have even any title like 'PhD' or any status-invoking name or number. Their ignorance about themselves and the world would probably only grow with it; a new pair of blinders on an even higher horse.

For others it could be just some tool, an indication of a potential or development in certain areas. Could be an advantage in many situations, providing some clarity. Not much more, a limit all labels have.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

catsndogs,
You don't mind being a moron?

I detect an element of insincerity here .....

As far as I'm aware, no one here gives a thought about what their IQ is, or rates it as an important issue. But this fact alone doesn't make them smarter. What makes a person smart is his ability to reason consistently, in all matters, without fear or bias. This is a very rare skill that even people with high IQs have trouble with.

If you're interested, I wrote an essay a couple of years ago on the problems with having a high IQ - here.

-
catsndogs

Post by catsndogs »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:catsndogs,

I detect an element of insincerity here .....

-
Moron? who said anything about being a moron? It's a genius board, being the least smart would not necessarily mean that at all.

Being the least smart in one topic has no bearing on any other topic. So to then jump to the insincerity theme is two jumps within one moment.

---------------------------------

The question within a question is, is it important to be tested if the result may affect your view of yourself in a way that may not be controllable?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

catsndogs,
Moron? who said anything about being a moron? It's a genius board, being the least smart would not necessarily mean that at all.
Let's see if I've got this right. You want to be the least intelligent in a group of people - but only when the group consists of intelligent people and not dunderheads? In other words, you want to be intrinsically intelligent, but not seen to be so ...?

Why?

Is this some sort of erotic fetish on your part?

The question within a question is, is it important to be tested if the result may affect your view of yourself in a way that may not be controllable?
As far as I can see, it isn't important in any context.

Echoing Diebert's query, why the obsession with this issue?

-
catsndogs

Post by catsndogs »

So nobody here cares what their IQ is nor knows what it is?

-------------------------------------------

Erotic fetish?

Now there's harm in asking questions?
Blair

Post by Blair »

It's about as important as knowing what your height, weight, or blood pressure is. It has curiosity value for the individual, but isn't of any great consequence.

Wisdom and understanding can't be measured by such blunt little tools as a test.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

catsndogs,
So nobody here cares what their IQ is nor knows what it is?
Well, let's ask them. Anybody here care?

Erotic fetish?
I can't think of any reason that is connected to wisdom or genius. So it has to come from somewhere else.

I can imagine an overtly submissive person getting sexually aroused by his own humble poses. A bit like a woman excitedly falling limp in the arms of a strong man who is sweeping her off her feet. A form of religious swooning.

Now there's harm in asking questions?
Only silly ones.

What do you think wisdom is? Do you have any ideas?

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Anybody here care?
No.
sevens

Note

Post by sevens »

Catsndogs,

Wisdom is understanding, with intellect, and feeling. It can be lost over time, but with time, it can be reclaimed.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:
catsndogs: So nobody here cares what their IQ is nor knows what it is?
Well, let's ask them. Anybody here care?
Whenever i hear an I.Q. score i naturally place it on a scale from zero to ten-thousand.

Last edited by Rhett on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I once passed an entry test into Mensa. I immediately cracked the top off a stubbie, sat back and wallowed in my personal glory.

Next comes the UltraHi IQ test. Reckon I'll need at least a six-pack for that one.

Dan Rowden
LooF

Post by LooF »

trying to challenge people?
hades

Post by hades »

I wanted to know my IQ, so I took a test recently.

It came back negative :(
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

drowden wrote:I once passed an entry test into Mensa. I immediately cracked the top off a stubbie, sat back and wallowed in my personal glory.

Next comes the UltraHi IQ test. Reckon I'll need at least a six-pack for that one.

Dan Rowden
Why the need to unwind?

And why not use God?

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I was being ironic; it never really happened (other than the part about passing the Mensa test); it was an attempt to show my disregard for the whole issue of IQ.

Dan Rowden
catsndogs

Post by catsndogs »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
catsndogs wrote:I have no problem with being the least smart.

A certain amount of IQ is awarded as an indication of a capability to do specific supervised mental tests, eg CATTELL or Wechsler. That could be to the advantage of the one doing the test, like knowing where ones talents lie. Strong abstraction or association skills do not equal the skill to reason properly so it doesn't seem to have not much to do with being 'smart' in general, which would just mean having a healthy developed reason. Of course a strong lack in the capability of doing abstraction or making association will make it almost impossible to reason properly, so the inverse might be true: knowing ones lack of IQ, or any other mental deficiency might make that person 'smarter' in the sense of knowing ones own weaknesses.

Around the idea of 'high intelligence' and 'gifted' are hanging the same nervous, ego-feeding expectations as for example 'enlightenment'. So for weak people with a feeble and starved ego it would be better not to know their IQ, if above average, or to have even any title like 'PhD' or any status-invoking name or number. Their ignorance about themselves and the world would probably only grow with it; a new pair of blinders on an even higher horse.

For others it could be just some tool, an indication of a potential or development in certain areas. Could be an advantage in many situations, providing some clarity. Not much more, a limit all labels have.
So the first time one gets tested, is it reasonable to always go ahead and do the test? Could it possibily be that when the first time one gets tested is just as important as the test itself?
b

zen reply

Post by b »

Narrow it down to this.

Do you think a number is indicative of how much, or how little you think?
catsndogs

Re: Is it important to know your IQ?

Post by catsndogs »

catsndogs wrote:Is a smart person who knows their IQ less smart than if they didn't know their IQ, and is a less smart person who doesn't know their IQ a bit smarter for not knowing their IQ?

It was a simple, simple question.

I went back and read my original question and the topic changing answers, genius and arrogance are twins.

From this simple question came responses that were accusatory and hostile directed towards the questioner rather than simply anaswering the question.

I think the original question is something that can make for fun comments, just not the from jaded element that haunts?, enhabits?, resides? here.

They say it takes three times for people to get it....

So for the third time....
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

No one has been hostile or accusatory towards you. However, it's not entirely obvious why you are asking this question and what significance it has. I, for one, don't see the "fun" element in it.

-
catsndogs

Post by catsndogs »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:No one has been hostile or accusatory towards you. However, it's not entirely obvious why you are asking this question and what significance it has. I, for one, don't see the "fun" element in it.

-

Cats, the least smart is the one who doesn't know what IQ really is but still wants to discuss it on a discussionboard which advertises to be solely about wisdom, not intellectual status. The whole question shows an obsession better dropped.

Is this some sort of erotic fetish on your part?

I can't think of any reason that is connected to wisdom or genius. So it has to come from somewhere else.

I can imagine an overtly submissive person getting sexually aroused by his own humble poses. A bit like a woman excitedly falling limp in the arms of a strong man who is sweeping her off her feet. A form of religious swooning.

Quote:
Anybody here care?
No.
-------------------------------------
(answering for others......do I have to explain that one?).

--------------------------------------

Clearly being a "genius" is about a hijacking a thread while it taxis down the runway.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

You must be awfully thin-skinned. They were all reasonable responses, given the context.

Are you going to explain why you consider your question to be important? Or are you just going to play games with us?

-
LooF

Post by LooF »

importance is an opinion

anyways

Is a smart person who knows their IQ less smart than if they didn't know their IQ, and is a less smart person who doesn't know their IQ a bit smarter for not knowing their IQ?

im pretty sure that answer is no

im guessing my IQ ranges between 20-300 in the mood i am in
Last edited by LooF on Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.