Thinking Ruins Life

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
bert

Re: Thinking Ruins Life

Post by bert »

Man invented Selfpleasure but knows not his own love.everything was once exercized according to one's own will.yet those who spoke : [i]their[/i] power has ended in common sexual practice - abnormal only with wearied desire for some personal gratification.they who [i]knew[/i] were rightly cruficied,openly disrespected, and turned away from and their mouths sealed in their own shit.
have we not forgotten more than we shall ever learn?who has the magic to revitalise the forged words?
everything is once again exercized according to one's own will.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

ExpectantlyIronic wrote:Carl: I'm pretty sure you are wrong. No terms remotely like "self" and "conscious" ever cross his lips.

E.I.: Except, y'know, at around the 1:56 mark in the posted vid.
Please quote that. The video is only 1:59, and he seems to be mumbling something about Los Angeles there at the end.
Good Citizen Carl
average

Post by average »

Carl G wrote:
ExpectantlyIronic wrote:Carl: I'm pretty sure you are wrong. No terms remotely like "self" and "conscious" ever cross his lips.

E.I.: Except, y'know, at around the 1:56 mark in the posted vid.
Please quote that. The video is only 1:59, and he seems to be mumbling something about Los Angeles there at the end.
he says self-conscious at 24-25seconds.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

"I have no time for you if you're going to be self-conscious, if you're going to ruin your life with thinking."

I stand corrected. He does mention it. Negatively.
Good Citizen Carl
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

average: you can just make things up to make life better, truth is overrated, don't waste your time with it.

Shahrazad: I find it very amusing that you would say this in a forum of people that are obsessed with truth.
Almost as amusing as a person obsessed with truth trying to be truthful in a world which cares very little about it.

Average is merely making a value-judgment, one that just happens to reflect what most of the world thinks. "Average" just about sums it up.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Hardly anyone on this earth is self-conscious. Only the fully-enlightened person can truly be said to be self-conscious - i.e. fully aware of what one truly is. What the world normally means by "self-conscious" is social inhibition generated by fear and a lack of consciousness.

You can try to escape this inhibition by plunging into the emotions, or by taking drugs, or by indulging in fantasy and positive thinking, or developing a big ego. Or you can do it properly by dismantling the root causes of it through rational thinking and enlightenment. Given this, Bradbury's emotional spiels against thought here are very misguided.

-
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Average is merely making a value-judgment, one that just happens to reflect what most of the world thinks. "Average" just about sums it up.
In that case, since his name shows such insight into his own character, I'm going to have to seriously consider the idea that he's intentionally doing this to sir up discussion.

Satire is the only way I can give him the benefit of the doubt, in which case it is very impressive satire.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I'm sure that he secretly thinks he is above average.

-
average

Post by average »

David Quinn wrote:Hardly anyone on this earth is self-conscious. Only the fully-enlightened person can truly be said to be self-conscious - i.e. fully aware of what one truly is. What the world normally means by "self-conscious" is social inhibition generated by fear and a lack of consciousness.

You can try to escape this inhibition by plunging into the emotions, or by taking drugs, or by indulging in fantasy and positive thinking, or developing a big ego. Or you can do it properly by dismantling the root causes of it through rational thinking and enlightenment. Given this, Bradbury's emotional spiels against thought here are very misguided.

-
What are you, truly, david?
Faust

Post by Faust »

average wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Hardly anyone on this earth is self-conscious. Only the fully-enlightened person can truly be said to be self-conscious - i.e. fully aware of what one truly is. What the world normally means by "self-conscious" is social inhibition generated by fear and a lack of consciousness.

-
What are you, truly, david?
he is nothing average, infact his reply doesn't refute anything. Yes you arrive at total consciousness, now what? you are quite right that truth is overrated. yes we know that vanity is infinite and our minds are connected to others and causation is universal and so on and so on, in the end though, you can only use it to remove all suffering, however, boredom replaces it, and so the pleasure principle becomes a very good principle :)

i've always detected a certain Puritanial dislike and jealousy of happiness from QRS, remember 'big egos' are delusional. Hah, as if QRS don't have big egos. I suspect Kelly's ugliness and unattractiveness results in the same thing.

As Ambrose Bierce said, selfish: Devoid of consideration for the selfishness of others.
Amor fati