Can causality be infinite?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Re: Can causality be infinite?

Post by Kevin Solway »

I don't think David is back yet, I'll respond to this one:
Sapius wrote:Would you say that it is the aspect of having ‘intentions’ that creates a possibility of an individual thing being un-sagely? Does it have that freedom unlike a tree?
A thing has intentions if it is forced, through causation, to have intentions. And whatever it intends is also forced by causation.

An unsagely person can be a great sage in the same sense that a tree can be a great sage. They are unintentional sages, since the tree doesn't intend to be a sage, and the unsagely person probably intends not to be a sage.
David wrote:People can value whatever they like. They are caused to value whatever they like. Nonetheless, there is a difference between valuing truth and not valuing truth. Different awarenesses and consequences are generated.
The problem is that it is not up to ‘their’ liking; is it now? Has causality taken a holiday there?
Whatever a person likes, is caused. It is not up to a person what he likes.
True, it is impossible to work for or against causation. However, it is possible to work for or against consciousness of causation.
So there is some individual ‘thing’ related freedom after all, which would then give credibility to comparative conclusions through individual reasoning.

I don't know what you are saying here.
I wonder why we necessarily yearn to have “something” Absolute, and not logically accept that existence is but in and off relativity
It that were true, it would be an absolute.
Kevin: God is the doer of all things, both good and evil.
Well, a ‘doer’ implies a thing having the capacity of doing something that is NOT it itself
Since God is the All, it can only do itself.
elderwoodxxx

Post by elderwoodxxx »

Talking of God,

He does All things through us ;-)

We choose to do that will or not. Gods will is in occordance with all that IS. There can be no other way except that which man creates within the illusion for himself. Usually derived through external seeking desire leading to confusion and self doubt, and the worship of false deities and idols :-)
Amandaxxx

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/elderwoodxxx
'I am You'
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Kevin: I don't think David is back yet, I'll respond to this one:
Thanks, but I’m in no hurry.

Sapius: Well, a ‘doer’ implies a thing having the capacity of doing something that is NOT it itself

Kevin: Since God is the All, it can only do itself.
No, I don’t think it can do anything at all, for if it is the all, all can do nothing since the all (infinitely speaking), itself would have neither an inside nor an outside that it may act upon, (as in do), due to its infiniteness. No cause or effect is apart from a thing, and one should refrain from making a thing out of that which is not, and attributing characteristics to that which has none.
---------
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Sapius wrote:
Well, a ‘doer’ implies a thing having the capacity of doing something that is NOT it itself; so what isn’t God according to your definition!? Hence God could not be capable of doing any thing at all. God is nothing without the ALL, and the ALL does not make it any kind of “God” either. Why in the blooming daisies can we not get rid of that word I wonder!? Hasn’t it created enough delusions of ultimate grandeur!?
Amen.