Prince's Evangelical Obsession

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Tomas

Pitchforks For Prince ;-)

Post by Tomas »

-Ryan Rudolph waves his wand-
prince keeps a distant from actual debate, and only attacks others when there is an overly easy target, and he knows he has support from enough other posters not to feel the burn of an incorrect position.

-tomas-
Oh yeah, don't I know! prince has been itchin' to get me off Genius since I showed my gnarley little ass. Fortunately me and prince have been pals for some time now. Now that Carl has taken up the presidency of the Tomas & Steven Coyle Hate Club, I've more time to Remote View David Quinn's latest book.

-Ryan couches his words in doublespeak-
Some of his opinions have become known as of late, which I do not agree with. Especially his views on evolution and god.

-tomas-
Come Friday night, I'll be tracking his every movement (except his bowel and shower routine). He inherited his dad's snoring though, when Remote Viewing I've taken to wearing ear protection, it's something to do with the gravitational pull-lens oracle. Since it's warming up in Australia and summer's coming, he'll be camping out a lot more, saw him readying his Boy Scout camping gear in sequential fashion. Whether he starts a camp fire or goes on an arson spree, I'll be watching...

We all evolve (the continuing evolution) over "time", so I'll be timelessly observing his god-fearing (respectful) banter.

-Ryan further pillories prince's darker side-
Prince doesn't like to take big risks because he doesn't want to have his ego hurt. I think he needs a bit more courage.

-tomas-
Right, steady as she goes. That's my motto, too! As far as courage goes, I'll have to Remote View a bit more closely, courage is difficult to put a handle on, but rest assured, Ryan, I'll get to drinkin' to the bottom of that Budweiser beer bottle and report back here about prince's bizarre Evangelical kick on Route 66. Haven't seen him worshipping the devil or anything resembling that, he may be a Protestant and attending Seventh Day Adventist when I'm asleep. I'll have to ask Kunga and Jufa if they'd care to keep tabs when I'm high on life and Remote Viewing the Hubble Space Telescope for any unseen meteors circling the planet Pluto.

-Ryan spouts wise-
"Sometimes its not about having a correct position, but exposing ones incorrect positions, but of course the ego tries to
avoid pain, avoid ego-destruction, and ultimately avoid the possibility that it could in fact be incorrect about something"

-tomas-
When Jesus comes back to have that heart-to-heart chat with prince and Elizabeth, that'll be the new theme here at Genius.

PS - Remote Viewing - what a beautiful choice!
Don't run to your death
Carl G

Re: Prince's Evangelical Obsession

Post by Carl G »

Carl G wrote:
Steven Coyle wrote:Brought me to Dali, pumpkin.
As long as we're on the subject, how come Steven gets a free ticket at Genius with his non-sequitorial obsession? Why are we singling out prince? Can't we have two differently abled longtime members?
Tomas wrote:-tomas-
Oh yeah, don't I know! prince has been itchin' to get me off Genius since I showed my gnarley little ass. Fortunately me and prince have been pals for some time now. Now that Carl has taken up the presidency of the Tomas & Steven Coyle Hate Club, I've more time to Remote View David Quinn's latest book.
Excuse me, three differently abled longtime members.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Diebert the "desert sage" :)
The "just a logical person" you appear to have in mind has still not taken logic all the way if true compassion would be lacking.

Carmel:
yes, that's true. It is always and forever a striving though. Wisdom, enlightment, compassion don't remain in a static state, but are always dynamic. What can be gained, can also be lost. I've seen it said that we are often in the most danger of losing enlightment, at the very point that we believe we have attained it.

..and I agree with what you said about logic being the tool that sharpens the sword. But, the employment of logic is a means to an end; It isn't the end itself. The end is enlightment or "true compassion", as you said.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Tomas:
Many of the Scottish Rite don't wear underwear. See Prince Charles' photos wearing his kilt for details.

Carmel:
Zoiks!

I've got some Scottish ancestry myself. Some of my relatives don't wear underwear either. It must be an inherited trait.;)
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Whenever I come into anyones company
May I regard myself less than anyone else
And from the depths of my heart, value others
More highly than I do myself.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Kunga wrote:Whenever I come into anyones company
For God's Sake why?
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Because the meek shall inherit the earth, apparently.
Animus

Post by Animus »

From what I understand XY sex-determination is not the only kind of biological reproductive mechanism. On simpler form cells reproduce without sexual intercourse. There is also X0 sex-determination wherein there are only "females" with two sets of gonads who fertilize themselves. XY determination theoretically arose from an adaptive mutation which caused certain offspring to be born with one of either set of gonads. This allows for further genetic variation. In the X0 case the genes are simply copied. In the XY reproductive system there is greater genetic variation as different sets of genes are recombined in meiosis. There are lizard species whose reproductive systems appear to be on the cusp of this transition, being primarily of X0 sex-determination they produce an occasional male offspring. In the current human configuration the difference in typical sex-determination comes down to the presence or lack thereof of the gene SRY. The fetal gonads are essentially female, the SRY gene causes them to become testes. But there are still many outliers, people born with both or none or something ambiguous.

Don't use a failure of imagination as an excuse to strawman evolution. Go to biointeractive.org and watch the lecture series on sexual reproduction or buy a book or something.
Pye

Post by Pye »

I'm reminded of the zazen master who spoke of one of his meditation students who had become very adept at sitting practice and the resultant clear mind. This student was dedicated and serious in every way, but one day he came to complain to his teacher. "My familiars don't understand how important this is; how much I have to concentrate. They make noise in one room, I have to go close myself in another. They're playing music and talking, and it interferes with my ability to meditate. I have to have complete quiet; the room has to be a certain temperature; there can be no distractions." Of course the zazen master replied to the student that he hadn't, then, learned how to meditate at all.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Prince,
So not only did humans evolve from..nothing at all, but they also evolved and mutated into male and female (nevermind how that was possible) , at exactly the same time and in exactly the same way that made them compatible.
sexual reproduction evolved from asexual reproduction naturally through time in other organisms. single cell organisms went from dividing into two copies themselves to new types of organisms emerging that could transfer genetic material sexually in order to divide. It was a gradual mutation that happened at the microscopic level first. It is logically impossible for something to evolve from nothing, years on this forum has taught you nothing prince! All things must arise naturally through time from other things, nothing can just 'pop' into existence. It is a violation of all rational thought.

And men and women are not compatible! How is irrational compatible with irrational? the divorce rate is currently 55% in the developed world, and much higher in poor countries, and of all the couples who do not divorce, how many stay together for reasons such as financial support, fear of being alone, fear of losing pleasurable comforts, and so on.

generally speaking, Men and women are interested in two totally different things most of the time, if you view any social gathering, men and women naturally split up, and derive more enjoyment from socializing with the same sex. This is an indicator that men are more compatible with men, and women are more compatible with women. And even this compatibility is dubious at best because we are talking about irrational egos that are trying to connect with each other. Any connection will be superficial at best....

Prince, you need to stop trying to pass off these ideas as something that has been thought through very deeply, it hasn't. This is the same trite the church brainwashes children with. The church basically fights off all views of reality with vengeance because the church is not a place of wisdom, but a place of worship. People who worship do not think for themselves, they are submissive slaves who do what they are told, which usually means stuffing their hard earned money into the donation plate, and listening to a bunch of crap that doesn't make any sense. Submissive slaves want to be part of a larger community rather than working towards being independent strong thinkers.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Carl G wrote:
For God's Sake why?

Try it for a while...if you dare.
But it only works if you do it from your heart...not your mind.

Sometimes when our arrogance becomes overtly obsessive it helps to balance it out with a little humiliation....
You can't eat Lobster and butter all the time..
Doen't that sound logical ?

Also...as we are all connected (dependant origination)..it makes sense to treat others as you treat yourself (in the highest reguard)
This world is in a mess because we shit all over each other instead of disposing of it properly.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Kunga wrote:
Carl G wrote:
For God's Sake why?
Try it for a while...if you dare.
But it only works if you do it from your heart...not your mind.
How do you know I have not?
Sometimes when our arrogance becomes overtly obsessive it helps to balance it out with a little humiliation....
You can't eat Lobster and butter all the time..
Doen't that sound logical ?
You didn't say sometimes, you said "whenever." That means always.
Also...as we are all connected (dependant origination)..it makes sense to treat others as you treat yourself (in the highest reguard)
This world is in a mess because we shit all over each other instead of disposing of it properly.
You didn't say treat others as you treat yourself. You said regard yourself as less than others, and value others more highly than yourself.

So, no, you don't sound logical.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Dan Rowden wrote:Funny, my reading of this thread tells me Elizabeth has made all but the only sane and substantive contributions.
Or perhaps you missed the larger point altogether. Carl G already pointed it out I see and really, there are maybe a dozen posters who post absolute nonsense here on a regular basis with not the slightest relation to the goals of this forum. And then in this thread people suddenly obsessing over the rants of someone who is known for years to be a not so stable nor adult person seems ridiculous considering the forum as a whole. This has in this case not so much to do with the content of the arguments, it has to do with the direction of effort and the overall "unmoderated" nature of this forum with now people suddenly demanding quality standards out of the blue! If you want to start applying standards, be my guest! But be consistent and even-handed with it otherwise it would seem to me like based in emotion, irritation, protectionism or something. If it was my forum I would be banning non-stop - my tolerance level is wayyy lower that yours ;-)
Diebert van Rhijn

Carmel wrote:..and I agree with what you said about logic being the tool that sharpens the sword. But, the employment of logic is a means to an end; It isn't the end itself. The end is enlightment or "true compassion", as you said.
I'm not into ends much myself. Logic appears to be in a fundamental sense awareness, sharpened, applied, misapplied at times but its foundations go deeper than sterile calculating. It's the tool that lies beneath all other tools, even when in many cases it's not defined that way. Like love is seen by many as only attraction or emotional links between couples, logic is often merely understood in some cold-headed, pondering sense. Both can become way more than just that but one has to name it somehow.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-Dan Rowden-
Funny, my reading of this thread tells me Elizabeth has made all but the only sane and substantive contributions.

-Diebert-
And then in this thread people suddenly obsessing over the rants of someone who is known for years to be a not
so stable nor adult person seems ridiculous considering the forum as a whole.

-tomas-
Are you suggesting Elizabeth? She is one of the quality posters here.

-Diebert-
If it was my forum I would be banning non-stop - my tolerance level is wayyy lower that yours ;-)

-tomas-
Employ the friend/foe button.
Don't run to your death
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Funny, my reading of this thread tells me Elizabeth has made all but the only sane and substantive contributions.
Or perhaps you missed the larger point altogether. Carl G already pointed it out I see and really, there are maybe a dozen posters who post absolute nonsense here on a regular basis with not the slightest relation to the goals of this forum. And then in this thread people suddenly obsessing over the rants of someone who is known for years to be a not so stable nor adult person seems ridiculous considering the forum as a whole. This has in this case not so much to do with the content of the arguments, it has to do with the direction of effort and the overall "unmoderated" nature of this forum with now people suddenly demanding quality standards out of the blue! If you want to start applying standards, be my guest! But be consistent and even-handed with it otherwise it would seem to me like based in emotion, irritation, protectionism or something. If it was my forum I would be banning non-stop - my tolerance level is wayyy lower that yours ;-)
I don't ban people because they're foolish. I think that is an incredibly slippery slope to start to ride. David may be happy to ride it, but I'm not.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Ataraxia wrote:Because the meek shall inherit the earth, apparently.
For me, eternal life is this life. No beginning, no end. This is it. Wallah.

Hmmm, Elizabeth employs the word evangelical. Any thoughts on how angel got in this word?..
Don't run to your death
Diebert van Rhijn

Tomas wrote:Are you suggesting Elizabeth? She is one of the quality posters here.
The topic is Prince's obsession. But you're right, the mirror holds true. Didn't even think of it.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Carl G wrote: How do you know I have not?

The why do you ask "Why?"

You didn't say sometimes, you said "whenever." That means always.

No...i said sometimes...now i know you are purposely trying to confuse me...lol
You didn't say treat others as you treat yourself. You said regard yourself as less than others, and value others more highly than yourself.

So, no, you don't sound logical.

To reguard yourself as less than others and value others more highly than yourself translates into treating others as you treat yourself if you value others as higher than yourself...translates into : A=A

Is this my first lesson in logic ? LOL

_/\_
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:This is the same trite the church brainwashes children with. The church basically fights off all views of reality with vengeance because the church is not a place of wisdom, but a place of worship. People who worship do not think for themselves, they are submissive slaves who do what they are told, which usually means stuffing their hard earned money into the donation plate, and listening to a bunch of crap that doesn't make any sense. Submissive slaves want to be part of a larger community rather than working towards being independent strong thinkers.
Much of church attendance is for the social networking. Lotsa business deals are sealed in church settings as it's who you know and the friend-of-a-friend knows this and can tweak this mayor, alderman, county clerk (whatever government hack) can access this file, flip this deal for some highway project via making an appearance at the right place (church) and at the right time (baptismal for some bigwig's granddaughter etc). The after-service dinners in the basement are almost always, most yummy and if you suck up to some of the cooks etc there are treats to doggy-bag home with. The summertime picnics in the local park are fantastic! Of course the religious side is crap - it's a sham and most of the men and women know this, but then, it's to invite the right personages out for dinner at some swank restaurant or one's own home and let the wine flow. Rich, poor, doesn't matter. The David Rockefeller's, Bill Gates', Warren Buffet's of the world do this all the time.

The offering plate is a tax deductible "donation" and can be directed to all sorts of nefarious causes not allowed by United Way, Community Chest etc. They could care less about some preacher "spouting wise" for 15-20 minutes. It's all about keeping appearances, nothing more.

Independent thinkers ain't happening in the real world. Here maybe, but not out there.
Don't run to your death
Blair

Post by Blair »

Dan Rowden wrote:Your own aesthetic judgements are evidence of a designer God? Ha! That is too foolish even for you!
Sure, just like you are a fool if you can keep a straight face and honestly think that this;

http://www.inetours.com/New_York/Bronx/Monkey_5979.jpg

evolved into this

http://www.pensierini.net/immagini/moni ... cci_03.jpg
Animus

Post by Animus »

Prince that is a misrepresentation of evolutionary theory.

I'm going to give you a couple of reliable sources of information on actual evolutionary theory. You shall have no excuse for making these strawman arguments in the future. Be a man.

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/evol ... tures.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEKqqrfW ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Y34zrJ ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMS-fEh ... re=channel
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

prince wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Your own aesthetic judgements are evidence of a designer God? Ha! That is too foolish even for you!
Sure, just like you are a fool if you can keep a straight face and honestly think that this;

http://www.inetours.com/New_York/Bronx/Monkey_5979.jpg

evolved into this

http://www.pensierini.net/immagini/moni ... cci_03.jpg
What a thoroughly moronic post. Honestly.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Tomas wrote:
Ataraxia wrote:Because the meek shall inherit the earth, apparently.
For me, eternal life is this life. No beginning, no end. This is it. Wallah.
For me too, brother.