Oprah, Eckhart and Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
brokenhead

Re: Oprah, Eckhart and Enlightenment

Post by brokenhead »

Dan Rowden wrote:In the above instance, starting the post with "Sam," should be sufficient to show that. Had Ryan quoted anyone else in the course of that post it would have been appropriate to have added the username to the quote tag.
You are correct, sir. My bad. I did not see the "Sam."
Actually, I should have been able to infer it from the content itself.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Ryan,
I would say that you are really serious about a truthful life. That you have relinquished the sexual pursuit is a testament to your deep sincerity, and the fact that the relinquishment is not due to tradition (as in like a Buddhist monk) but founded on ethical and logical basis is very commendable.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Ryan,
sam: But why pretend to know everyone else's experience?

Ryan: Because generally speaking the brain works the same in all individuals.
We are all human but that doesn't mean our experience is the same.
sam: Yes Ryan, attachment to sex can be a problem. So don't attach to it.

Ryan: Yes, by not doing it. ...
No one is saying you have to do it. It's your choice.
sam: Bin Laden also talks about knowing what is good for everyone else.

Ryan: ... I do know for certain there is a right way to live, and I’ll debate anyone. I just don't resort to violence like Bin laden.
Like you, Bin Laden claims knows the right way to live. So how are you different than him other than not being violent?
sam: Even if you were to avoid it, you are still attached to it by your avoidance. Remember Spirituality 101?

Ryan: ... The mind can only fall silent to the desire of something if you avoid what it is the mind craves.
Give it up if that's what you want.
sam: Don't love then, no one is forcing you to.

Ryan: This is an argument about whether or not romantic love is immoral or not. You are taking a very defensive stance here.
On the contrary. There is nothing defensive in saying people get to choose what they value. Saying that only your values matter is childish.
sam: Do your homework, Ryan, your ignorance is getting old.

Ryan: I’ve actually experienced with Tantra a bit, I’ve actually taken the sexual experience to its very peak, I know for certain that it is a worthless experience. Pop a magic mushroom, you’ll get the same affect.
Do your homework with regard to others' experience. Just because you don't like apple pie doesn't mean someone else can't.
sam: If you are not ashamed, why do you see having sex as disgusting? Why isn't grinding up dead plants and animals in your mouth and pooping them out your butt disgusting? And of course, sex is necessary for the species survival. I'm surprised you haven't figured that one out yet.

Ryan: Eating is rather odd too when you think about it, but it is absolutely necessary for my survival so I accept it. ...
So Ryan says eating is okay, thank God! lol ...
sam: ... it is simply a negative attachment. It rules you. ...

Ryan: You have it all wrong ...
Your negative attachment is obvious.
Last edited by samadhi on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Rather than give this its own thread, I thought I would post it here.

The Washington Post has joined the Geniuses!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02992.html

Who would have thunk?
maestro

Post by maestro »

Come on the media writes crap non-stop. For example papers keep making sweeping generalizations like "Why we Americans love gossip". Does not mean that every American is as dumb as these guys would have it.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Well, I have to admit, I was taken aback. There were over 1000 comments to the piece, most of them lambasting her. She said it was supposed to be funny. A lot of people missed the joke, and I have to say, I agree with them.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Unless the style of jumping from one tangent to another was meant to be ironic, I really can't see the humour.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

samadhi wrote:Well, I have to admit, I was taken aback. There were over 1000 comments to the piece, most of them lambasting her. She said it was supposed to be funny. A lot of people missed the joke, and I have to say, I agree with them.
I got it. It was a good little essay. I could learn to love a gal like that.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Sam,
We are all human but that doesn't mean our experience is the same.
You’re a relativist, which is a poorly thought out philosophy in my opinion. People generally experience the world the same way because causality works on the mind in the same ways, which implies that there are truths. By stating that my experience is different than yours, and therefore we have choice to make decisions is wrong. There is no choice when there is clarity, as all experience is caused by the same factors. Unless you can see the error in your relativist thinking there is no point in taking this debate any further.
No one is saying you have to do it. It's your choice.
Choice is an illusion. All behavior is caused by emotional motivations.
Like you, Bin Laden claims knows the right way to live. So how are you different than him other than not being violent?
I am conscious, whereas he is highly unconscious of what motivates him to speak and act in the world.
On the contrary. There is nothing defensive in saying people get to choose what they value. Saying that only your values matter is childish.
My absolute values only matter is you are seeking enlighenment. There is only one narrow road to enlighenment. The idea of many roads is a myth, a relativist blunder.
Just because you don't like apple pie doesn't mean someone else can't.
But if overly sugary apple pie causes cavities in me, it will also cause cavities in you, you are not exempt from causality. Generally speaking, causality works the same on all minds, which implies absolute truth, NOT RELATIVISM.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Ryan,
sam: We are all human but that doesn't mean our experience is the same.

Ryan: You’re a relativist, which is a poorly thought out philosophy in my opinion. People generally experience the world the same way because causality works on the mind in the same ways, which implies that there are truths. By stating that my experience is different than yours, and therefore we have choice to make decisions is wrong. There is no choice when there is clarity, as all experience is caused by the same factors. Unless you can see the error in your relativist thinking there is no point in taking this debate any further.
Do you know what fundamentalism is?
sam: No one is saying you have to do it. It's your choice.

Ryan: Choice is an illusion. All behavior is caused by emotional motivations.
So if there is no choice, why do you try to tell people what to do? Clearly from your standpoint, they have no choice in the matter.
sam: Like you, Bin Laden claims knows the right way to live. So how are you different than him other than not being violent?

Ryan: I am conscious, whereas he is highly unconscious of what motivates him to speak and act in the world.
Yet your supposed consciousness leads you to his conclusion, that you know what is best for others. You seem to be about as conscious as he is.
sam: On the contrary. There is nothing defensive in saying people get to choose what they value. Saying that only your values matter is childish.

Ryan: My absolute values only matter is you are seeking enlighenment. There is only one narrow road to enlighenment. The idea of many roads is a myth, a relativist blunder.
All you are doing is asserting your experience. The dogmatic assertion of a negative attachment as a means of enlightenment is ignorance on steriods.
sam: Just because you don't like apple pie doesn't mean someone else can't.

Ryan: But if overly sugary apple pie causes cavities in me, it will also cause cavities in you, you are not exempt from causality. Generally speaking, causality works the same on all minds, which implies absolute truth, NOT RELATIVISM.
Some people get cavities, some don't. Some like apple pie, some don't. Some get attached to sex, some don't. Your fundamentalism blinds you to the experience of others so you can assert your own to their detriment. That doesn't sound very enlightening to me.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Sam,
Do you know what fundamentalism is?
There is nothing wrong with holding positions and taking a stance of things. Moreover, being certain of what one knows to be true is much more productive than being too wishy washy, inconsistent, relative, and unable to be a confident judge of things.
So if there is no choice, why do you try to tell people what to do? Clearly from your standpoint, they have no choice in the matter.
If you perceive that there is no choice, than that isn’t a choice in itself. Coming to a realization is involuntary, and if you are too emotionally feeble to come to the realization, then that was not your choice either.
Yet your supposed consciousness leads you to his conclusion, that you know what is best for others.
Yes, because I know what is best for myself. You see, I wouldn’t fall in love with a woman because I wouldn’t do that to her, as I wouldn’t do that to myself. Remember the Jesus quote: Treat others the way you want to be treated. There is nothing wrong with knowing what is best for others.
The dogmatic assertion of a negative attachment as a means of enlightenment is ignorance on steriods.
The absence of doing or thinking something negative is not a negative attachment, it is freedom.
Some people get cavities, some don't. Some like apple pie, some don't. Some get attached to sex, some don't. Your fundamentalism blinds you to the experience of others so you can assert your own to their detriment. That doesn't sound very enlightening to me.
No, no, don’t play those games. Teeth are teeth period, and they react very similar to white sugar. The right amount of white sugar will destroy the enamel on any tooth, as just the right amount of emotional attachment to a woman will erode the soul of any man. And the perfect limus test is that when he loses his woman, if he cries, then he was deluded, he was attached, his soul was subservient to an illusion, an illusion of his own egotistical making.

Woman is man's tooth ache.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Ryan,
sam: Do you know what fundamentalism is?

Ryan: There is nothing wrong with holding positions and taking a stance of things. Moreover, being certain of what one knows to be true is much more productive than being too wishy washy, inconsistent, relative, and unable to be a confident judge of things.
No there isn't unless your positions attempt to restrict others' behavior based on dogmatic assertions of authority. No one is saying you can be true to yourself but that does not entitle you to require the obedience of others to your every pronouncement.
sam: So if there is no choice, why do you try to tell people what to do? Clearly from your standpoint, they have no choice in the matter.

Ryan: If you perceive that there is no choice, than that isn’t a choice in itself. Coming to a realization is involuntary, and if you are too emotionally feeble to come to the realization, then there was not your choice either.
You are making my point. If there is no choice, of what use is it to require behavior of others that conforms with your own? Why even be concerned with their behavior when they have no choice as to what that behavior is?
sam: Yet your supposed consciousness leads you to his conclusion, that you know what is best for others.

Ryan: Yes, because I know what is best for myself. You see, I wouldn’t fall in love with a woman because I wouldn’t do that to her, as I wouldn’t do that to myself. Remember the Jesus quote: Treat others the way you want to be treated. There is nothing wrong with knowing what is best for others.
It's fine that you know what's best for you. And indeed, treat others as you would like to be treated. I assume you don't want me telling you what to do, do you? Then why do you tell me what to do? And if you assume you know what is best for others, would that include allowing them to discover their own truth or are your truths the only ones available for consideration?
sam: The dogmatic assertion of a negative attachment as a means of enlightenment is ignorance on steriods.

Ryan: The absence of doing or thinking something negative is not a negative attachment, it is freedom.
Your negative attachment is the belief that sex is negative. You get that attachments are about being possessive but you don't get that attachments can also be about dogmatic rejection. Think about racism if you want an example.
sam: Some people get cavities, some don't. Some like apple pie, some don't. Some get attached to sex, some don't. Your fundamentalism blinds you to the experience of others so you can assert your own to their detriment. That doesn't sound very enlightening to me.

Ryan: No, no, don’t play those games. Teeth are teeth period, and they react very similar to white sugar. The right amount of white sugar will destroy the enamel on any tooth ...
False. My father smoked for forty years and never got cancer. Bodies are different and react differently to identical circumstances.
... as just the right amount of emotional attachment to a woman will erode the soul of any man.
Once again, you assume your conclusion, that sex requires emotional attachment. Are you attached to every piece of food you ingest? You I bet you enjoy some kinds of food as opposed to others. You want to interpret all sexuality through a single lens, that is fundamentalism and you embody it.
And the perfect limus test is that when he loses his woman, if he cries, then he was deluded, he was attached, his soul was subservient to an illusion, an illusion of his own egotistical making.
This has been your experience. Why do you try to speak for everyone when clearly you are speaking for yourself?
Woman is man's tooth ache.
Sayeth Ryan with a toothless grin!
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Sam,
You are making my point. If there is no choice, of what use is it to require behavior of others that conforms with your own? Why even be concerned with their behavior when they have no choice as to what that behavior is?
If you change, or if you don’t, it will be caused to happen, it isn’t your choice at all. And that is why I am indifferent, I do not care at all.
And indeed, treat others as you would like to be treated. I assume you don't want me telling you what to do, do you? Then why do you tell me what to do? And if you assume you know what is best for others, would that include allowing them to discover their own truth or are your truths the only ones available for consideration?
I make absolute statements, it is only your interpretation that I am ordering you around. I speak on what I believe is universally enlightened behavior.
Your negative attachment is the belief that sex is negative.
Sexual attachment causes suffering, and that is why it is negative. I think it is intelligent to prevent unnecessary suffering. You wouldn’t call it a negative attachment if I had a belief that putting my hand on a stove is negative would you?
False. My father smoked for forty years and never got cancer.
That still doesn’t hide the fact that smoking did cause serious damage to his lungs, tissues, and cellular biology. If an autopsy was done, there still would be causal damage. He still wasn't exempt from the causal laws of smoking.
Are you attached to every piece of food you ingest? You I bet you enjoy some kinds of food as opposed to others. You want to interpret all sexuality through a single lens.
Food can not be compared to sex, the sexual experience is more intimately linked with the emotions, especially for women, and that is why it is so evil for men to engage in the act.
Why do you try to speak for everyone when clearly you are speaking for yourself?
its universal though, have you ever been a funeral? it is group delusion every time. Wives crying for lost husbands, and husbands crying for lost wives. It is an indication that people have lead dishonest lives.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

Ryan,
sam: You are making my point. If there is no choice, of what use is it to require behavior of others that conforms with your own? Why even be concerned with their behavior when they have no choice as to what that behavior is?

Ryan: If you change, or if you don’t, it will be caused to happen, it isn’t your choice at all. And that is why I am indifferent, I do not care at all.
You are contradicting yourself Ryan. If you didn't care, you wouldn't tell people how to live.
sam: And indeed, treat others as you would like to be treated. I assume you don't want me telling you what to do, do you? Then why do you tell me what to do? And if you assume you know what is best for others, would that include allowing them to discover their own truth or are your truths the only ones available for consideration?

Ryan: I make absolute statements, it is only your interpretation that I am ordering you around. I speak on what I believe is universally enlightened behavior.
Of course you do. You like to make pronouncements, which bolsters your ego, but you seem to take no interest in their implications as that would undermine your ego.
sam: Your negative attachment is the belief that sex is negative.

Ryan: Sexual attachment causes suffering, and that is why it is negative. I think it is intelligent to prevent unnecessary suffering. You wouldn’t call it a negative attachment if I had a belief that putting my hand on a stove is negative would you?
Why are you changing the subject in the middle of the debate? We were not discussing sexual attachment but sex PER SE. Do you know what that means, Ryan? Please don't change the subject. It makes you look evasive and dishonest.
sam: False. My father smoked for forty years and never got cancer.

Ryan: That still doesn’t hide the fact that smoking did cause serious damage to his lungs, tissues, and cellular biology. If an autopsy was done, there still would be causal damage. He still wasn't exempt from the causal laws of smoking.
I never said he wasn't affected. I said he did not get cancer. You said sugar always causes tooth decay, not that sugar always affects the body. Do you even understand your own analogy? Yeah it affects the body, it affects different bodies differently. Just as sex affects different people differently.
sam: Are you attached to every piece of food you ingest? You I bet you enjoy some kinds of food as opposed to others. You want to interpret all sexuality through a single lens.

Ryan: Food can not be compared to sex, the sexual experience is more intimately linked with the emotions, especially for women, and that is why it is so evil for men to engage in the act.
Food can be an attachment the same as sex. You want to treat it differently because people would think you were a jackass if you were to say we shouldn't eat so as not to be attached to food.
sam: Why do you try to speak for everyone when clearly you are speaking for yourself?

Ryan: its universal though, have you ever been a funeral? it is group delusion every time. Wives crying for lost husbands, and husbands crying for lost wives. It is an indication that people have lead dishonest lives.
Some don't cry, Ryan, some are even happy. The dishonesty appears to be yours in that you want to insist there is only one way to experience life, your way.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Sam even if Ryan's argument that sex causes a lot of trouble does not hold in an absolute sense it is nevertheless true in most cases. Just like it can happen that sugar does not cause cavitiies in someone, but in general there is a good correlation. In fact were sex (with its pleasure) altogether absent from humanity a lot of suffering would have been avoided.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Somebody should formally debate this issue!
maestro

Post by maestro »

which side are you on?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

maestro wrote:Sam even if Ryan's argument that sex causes a lot of trouble does not hold in an absolute sense it is nevertheless true in most cases. Just like it can happen that sugar does not cause cavitiies in someone, but in general there is a good correlation. In fact were sex (with its pleasure) altogether absent from humanity a lot of suffering would have been avoided.
Anyone who thinks that sex does not cause trouble is either of limited intelligence or is not paying attention.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

maestro wrote:which side are you on?
The one that beats Sam to a pulp :)

We'll be debating this issue in the Crucible as soon as we iron out the details of the theme. I won't play my hand early by saying too much here. Suffice it to say my broad position will be that sex is "bad" and a hindrance to enlightenment because of the delusional psychology underpinning it and the dynamics surrounding it.

Coming soon in a forum near you.
samadhi

Post by samadhi »

maestro,
Sam even if Ryan's argument that sex causes a lot of trouble does not hold in an absolute sense it is nevertheless true in most cases.
Anything can cause a lot of trouble. That sex causes trouble no doubt has to do with ego. Ryan's approach however is denying the behavior while coddling the cause. It is fundamentalist in nature because it assumes all people react the same to a given behavior and it associates denial with non-attachment. The result is to demonize people for their natural attraction, something that's bound to cause problems, and elevates a behavior (denial) that the ego loves to indulge in. Wouldn't you say that is a problematic way to approach sex?
In fact were sex (with its pleasure) altogether absent from humanity a lot of suffering would have been avoided.
Sex is not the cause of ego! If it were absent, ego would just find another behavior to inhabit.

broken,
Anyone who thinks that sex does not cause trouble is either of limited intelligence or is not paying attention.
Puhleeeze. The ego causes trouble. Sex is the means because it invites possessiveness and manipulation. In that sense, it is simply a good indicator of where your ego gets stuck.

Dan,
Somebody should formally debate this issue!
Indeed. We may have to change our subject, unless you think you can cover some new ground. I'm not going to say much different with you.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

This is undoubtedly the first time our lack of disagreement has created a problem! Hmm, how to get around it.....
maestro

Post by maestro »

samadhi wrote:Anything can cause a lot of trouble. That sex causes trouble no doubt has to do with ego.
Suppose ego were absent in humans, would that mean that you can have sex with anyone willy nilly? Because on what basis would you deny sex to one and allow it to other, except on personal preferences which implies the operation of a dualistic ego, is it?
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

sam&dan:
You could always approach it from another angle. Like the value of single-sex classrooms, or whether or not woman's liberation was a good thing, or the possibility of female enlightenment.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Sam,
You are contradicting yourself Ryan. If you didn't care, you wouldn't tell people how to live.
I’m caused to do it, its in my nature, there is very little emotional motivation behind my actions. That is what I mean by not caring. For instance: if you live your entire life in delusion and suffering, you were caused to be that way, I just speak on what I know is universally true.
Of course you do. You like to make pronouncements, which bolsters your ego, but you seem to take no interest in their implications as that would undermine your ego.
I know that is what it sounds like, but honestly, I’m not getting much out of this, it is fairly routine and automatic for me.
We were not discussing sexual attachment but sex PER SE. Do you know what that means, Ryan? Please don't change the subject. It makes you look evasive and dishonest.
Discussing sex and sexual attachment are one in the same to me. People only want to have sex because it is enjoyable and they are programmed genetically to spread their seed, but if the motivation is gone, then there is no point to sex, it is a meaningless experience with potentially harmful affects.
I never said he wasn't affected. I said he did not get cancer. You said sugar always causes tooth decay, not that sugar always affects the body. Do you even understand your own analogy? Yeah it affects the body, it affects different bodies differently. Just as sex affects different people differently.
You are stretching this argument. Don't object to the fact that I make sweeping generalizations, as this is the only way to convey vast truths that cover the majority of people.. Yes, there is a bit of relativity, as some bodies are a tougher than others, but negative things are generally negative to some degree in all people.
You want to treat it differently because people would think you were a jackass if you were to say we shouldn't eat so as not to be attached to food.
I’ve said on many occasions that food attachment is also a problem when people become addicted to unhealthy foods, or they eat for emotional reasons, rather than to just relieve the hunger urge. And I maintain that masturbation is far more moral to relieve the sexual urge because it doesn't take any victims. Women who dream of long-term romance are not let down.

Moreover, Do you not agree that there are universally harmful foods and substances? Canada just universally banned trans fats in all restaurants because it generally causes heart disease, Should we have kept it in restaurants because there were a small minority of robust individuals that wouldn’t have died from prolonged exposure to it? This seems fairly unreasonable to me.
Some don't cry, Ryan, some are even happy. The dishonesty appears to be yours in that you want to insist there is only one way to experience life, your way.
Yes, but the happy ones are just as deluded. Their happiness is an escape from their pain. They create all sorts of bizarre fantasies such as seeing their lost loved one in an afterlife, and imagining them in a better place. Their happiness is a result of neurotic fantasies to soothe the negative emotional affects of decades of emotional attachment. Sad and Happy people at funerals fall under the same camp for me.

The last funeral I attended was a very alien experience, All the people there seemed very confused. The attached ones were miserable, and the ones were weren’t attached to the individual were faking their sadness to hide the guilt they felt for not mourning in the same manner as the family members. It was very strange psychology. I was the only sane one there.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

"Sex is something I really don't understand too hot. You never know where the hell you are. I keep making up these sex rules for myself, and then I break them right away. Last year I made a rule that I was going to quit horsing around with girls that, deep down, gave me a pain in the ass. I broke it, though, the same week I made it — the same night, as a matter of fact. I spent the whole night necking with a terrible phony named Anne Louise Sherman. Sex is something I just don't understand. I swear to God I don't."

---JD Salinger, 'Catcher in the Rye'
Ni ange, ni bête