The Invalidity of Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I always find the words of Nietzsche, when he talks about this issue, rather hollow. For really, when it comes down to it, he was very similar to Socrates in the fundamentals. Like Socrates, he valued the ideal of truth very highly and used reasoning in every aspect of his philosophizing. He also saw himself as a superior thinker to everyone else and willingly participated in the task of trying to "correct existence". So when Nietzsche starts attacking Socrates along these lines, it's very much a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

As for Socrates' "daimonon", I assume this would refer to his inner wisdom, his enlightened understanding of Reality. The "voice" was the music of Truth, from which Socrates was able to judge the value of all things. From the looks of it, he was able to recall this music at any time, even when his reasoning was stalled in doubt. Nietzsche is wrong to characterize this as "instinct".

Like Marsha Faizi, Nietzsche often liked to be oppositional simply for the sake of it, or for the sake of exploring a line of thought. He sometimes placed too much value on his role as an iconoclast, to the neglect of paying proper respect to truth. From my readings, Nietzsche actually admired Socrates very much, just as he admired Jesus. I remember Nietzsche once saying, "There has only been one Christian and he died on the cross."

This is the kind of thing I am meaning when I estimate highly the sense of intelligence (the non-rational if we must) - where knowledge becomes instinct and is felt, in this world, in the immediate, in bright response.
True knowledge only becomes "instinctual" after countless hours of reasoning about it and imprinting these reasonings into the brain. It has nothing to do with animal instincts or the like.

-
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

Pye quoted Nietzsche:
Whereas in all productive men instinct is the truly creative and affirming power, and consciousness acts as a critical and cautioning reaction, in Socrates the instinct becomes the critic, consciousness becomes the creator—truly a monstrous defect.
Well, Socrates was a Greek. :-)
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

No, it's a false picture created by Nietzsche. Socrates was no different from anyone else in this regard - he would have used instinct, intution, creativity, etc, as aids to formulating conclusions, and then used strict logical processes to properly judge their worth. It is the way the process of thinking works. He seems to be deliberately misrepresenting Socrates for his own iconoclastic purposes.

-
R. Steven Coyle

Post by R. Steven Coyle »

In the passage that Pye quoted, Nietszche is psychologically analyzing Socrates -- his thought process, and how it contrasts with the more instinctively creative men throughout history. It is a precursor to his later, more advanced philosophical statements: The Will to Power and The Ubermensch. Where visceral creativity is held in such high esteem.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Nietzche wrote:Whereas in all productive men instinct is the truly creative and affirming power, and consciousness acts as a critical and cautioning reaction, in Socrates the instinct becomes the critic, consciousness becomes the creator—truly a monstrous defect.
There are different, more revealing ways in my opinion, to understand this passage. First lets be careful with the translation!

German original with an extra addition:
Während doch bei allen productiven Menschen der Instinct gerade die schöpferisch-affirmative Kraft ist, und das Bewußtsein kritisch und abmahnend sich gebärdet: wird bei Sokrates der Instinct zum Kritiker, das Bewußtsein zum Schöpfer - eine wahre Monstrosität per defectum! Und zwar nehmen wir hier einen monstrosen defectus jeder mystischen Anlage wahr, so dass Sokrates als der spezifische Nicht-Mystiker zu bezeichnen wäre, in dem die logische Natur durch eine Superfötation eben so excessiv entwickelt ist wie im Mystiker jene instinctive Weisheit. Andrerseits aber war es jenem in Sokrates erscheinenden logischen Triebe völlig versagt, sich gegen sich selbst zu kehren; in diesem fessellosen Dahinströmen zeigt er eine Naturgewalt, wie wir sie nur bei den allergrössten instinctiven Kräften zu unsrer schaudervollen Überraschung antreffen.
Becomes
While with each productive human it's the instinct that is the creative-confirming force, and the consciousness is making the gestures of critique and caution: with Socrates the instinct becomes the critic, consciousness becomes creator - a true monstra per defectum.
The phrase "Monstrosität per defectum" is a reference to the 19th century medical term "monstra per defectum", a being born with underdeveloped or missing body parts.

But then it continuous:
And so we can observe here a monstrous defect in the mystical faculty, so that Socrates can be called the specific non-mystic, in whom the nature of logic through superfetation [= a second fertilazation] now has developed so excessively just like in mystics the instinctive wisdom has. On the other hand Socrates' discerning logical instinct completely failed to turn against itself; with this unrestricted flow he demonstrates a natural violence, which we only find in the greatest instinctual forces, to our thrilling surprise."
[Translations by myself since the others around seem quite limited.]

We have to ask ourselves: in this early work, was the later Nietzsche that much different than the Socrates he perceived? And was Socrates any different in conception than his own Zarathustra? An 'unfinished' product of part literary and part visonary causes? It would explain the difference Nietzsche sees between instinctive wisdom (mystic) and instinctive logic (anti-mystic). In my view Nietzsche is not clear yet on the relation between wisdom and logic and he seems to have a too limited view on 'instinct', compared for example to Spinoza's 'intuition' or more refined notions of our subconscious processes. Nietzsche uses 'instinct' in a more carnal sense than strictly needed, as some channel to a life force that shouldn't be blocked. He implies consciousness always cuts into the life force one way or another, and in most cases it does just that.

The only thing left for Nietzsche was a vision of a successful 'superfetation', a rebirth that would create a complete being of pure consciousness, symbolically married to his perceived carnal, physical nature through the deepest possible understanding.
N0X23

Post by N0X23 »

Quinn
You have been saying all along that the enlightenment of the buddhas, which transcends all suffering, doesn't exist. You even reckon to have proved this to yourself. Are you now disowning all this?
You’re generalizing here.
Again, it is not my intention to declare that enlightenment doesn’t exist. No matter how hard you try and convolute to justify your ignorance.

You stated:
Enlightenment simply means the elimination of all false perceptions.

I agreed. So what am I disowning?
He has received what he needed - affection, companionship, consistency, security, a sense of belonging, a peaceful environment with no undercurrents of violence, a stimulating education, intelligent interaction, etc. What he hasn't received (at least not very much) is the smothering impact of possessive love. Kids don't need that. No one needs it. It's only those already addicted to it who think they need it.

In other words you Love your child.
I didn’t say anything about possessive love.
Your child is not your spouse, or lover. I asked you a hypothetical question about your reaction to your suffering child, and you responded by stating that you would make no distinction between your dying child and a fecal covered, disease infested rat, and then declared how glorious this perverted indifference is.
You then claim that your child is happy, intelligent and well-adjusted as a result of your affection and Love. Your lying! Either about the emotional stability of your child, or your bullshit, enlightenment induced apathy, but your lying.
Do I have to do all your thinking for you? There are countless examples of this happening. When a cloud disappears, for instance, it does so forever. That particular cloud will never come back. So here is an example of impermanent factors creating a permanent state.

It is the very nature of impermanency to constantly create permanent states.
But the elements and condtiones that support the cloud are still present so another cloud will appear.
Which in fact is a misnomer, because, the first cloud is no different the preceding cloud, water vapor is water vapor, it doesn’t disappear, it isn’t annihilated, it doesn’t cease to be, and a cloud is nothing like our brains. Just another worthless metaphor, Quinn!

Oh wait, that’s right, I didn’t specifically ask about permanent and impermanent “mental” factors....

So why do you believe that an impermanent and conditioned mass of flesh and chemicals, can support a permanent, blissful, unconditioned mental state?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Nox,
DQ: You have been saying all along that the enlightenment of the buddhas, which transcends all suffering, doesn't exist. You even reckon to have proved this to yourself. Are you now disowning all this?

N: You’re generalizing here.
Again, it is not my intention to declare that enlightenment doesn’t exist. No matter how hard you try and convolute to justify your ignorance.

You stated:
Enlightenment simply means the elimination of all false perceptions.

I agreed. So what am I disowning?

The larger aspect of enlightenment - i.e. the automatic consequences of eliminating all false perceptions, such as the elimination of suffering.

You haven't dealt with the question of how the fully-enlightened person, who is free of all attachments, is able to experience loss (and therefore suffering).

DQ: He has received what he needed - affection, companionship, consistency, security, a sense of belonging, a peaceful environment with no undercurrents of violence, a stimulating education, intelligent interaction, etc. What he hasn't received (at least not very much) is the smothering impact of possessive love. Kids don't need that. No one needs it. It's only those already addicted to it who think they need it.

N: In other words you Love your child.
I didn’t say anything about possessive love.

Well, that's essentially what we have been talking about all along - attachment. Possessive love is just another term for attachment.

I admit that I am not perfect and, consequently, I have a degree of attachment to my child. To that degree I'm not enlightened.

Your child is not your spouse, or lover. I asked you a hypothetical question about your reaction to your suffering child, and you responded by stating that you would make no distinction between your dying child and a fecal covered, disease infested rat, and then declared how glorious this perverted indifference is.

Recognizing the lack of inherent existence and value in all things is now, according to you, a "perversion".....? You've really crossed over to the dark side with that one.

I remember Jesus once saying that it's okay for people to turn their backs on him as a teacher - it's not a great sin. But to turn your back on the "holy spirit" - i.e. on the enlightened apprehension of Reality - is another matter entirely. That is a very serious error of judgment to make.

Here is the passage:

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

- Matthew 12:32

DQ: When a cloud disappears, for instance, it does so forever. That particular cloud will never come back. So here is an example of impermanent factors creating a permanent state.

It is the very nature of impermanency to constantly create permanent states.

N: But the elements and condtiones that support the cloud are still present so another cloud will appear.
Which in fact is a misnomer, because, the first cloud is no different the preceding cloud, water vapor is water vapor, it doesn’t disappear, it isn’t annihilated, it doesn’t cease to be, and a cloud is nothing like our brains. Just another worthless metaphor, Quinn!

I think it is entirely apt. Every cloud is unique. Each has its own form, shape, existence, causes, effects, position on the time-space continuum, etc - just as our own brains do. When it disappears, it is never coming back. The fact that it is similar to other clouds is irrelevant.

Oh wait, that’s right, I didn’t specifically ask about permanent and impermanent “mental” factors....

Mental factors are clouds which appear in the neuronosphere.

So why do you believe that an impermanent and conditioned mass of flesh and chemicals, can support a permanent, blissful, unconditioned mental state?
I never said that. I merely said that he would be permanently free of attachments, which is entirely correct. His enlightened consciousness won't last forever, however. It will probably disappear with his physical death.

-
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

We have to ask ourselves: in this early work, was the later
Nietzsche that much different than the Socrates he perceived?
This early Nietzsche was a lot closer to the later Nietzsche than he ever was to Socrates!
And was Socrates any different in conception than his own Zarathustra?
Who was the Ugliest man?
An 'unfinished' product of part literary and part visionary causes?
We have to ask ourselves this Diebert?! O, nothing is finished, and dare we end off without acknowledging it? :D
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Quinn’s Enlightenment – black and white? Either/or? Genius to certain degrees?

Quinn,

It has always seemed to me that you have been trying to convince humanity that enlightenment is a black and white thing. Either you are, or you are not seems to have been your take on enlightenment.

It always seemed natural to me to assume that there are degrees of wisdom, just as there are degrees of stupidity. For instance, Nietzsche was a great skeptic, a shrewd and discerning thinker, however, he was not without his imperfections, megalomania, narcissism, and vanity. The same goes for other great thinkers – Schopenhauer, Jiddu Krishnamurti, U.G. Krishnamuti, Jesus - - Due to there being an absence of evidence, I dont believe there was a single great thinker who did not have (beneath their reasonable and vital assertions, as well as vanities) a certain confusion, bewilderment about how and why they ‘are’ to begin with.

Your assertion that 'cause and effect' is the creator of all things, just doesn’t cut it for me – and I think there’s a part of you that also feels a bit bewildered about the fact that there is the ‘uncaused’. How can you rationally just think that there is nothing odd about an uncaused ‘body’?

Anyways, I think it is appropriate for you to address to us the contradiction that you seem to have spun for yourself.

You call yourself a sage, your call your self enlightened, you claim that sage-hood and enlightenment are perfection, and you claim that enlightenment is a black and white thing – however, in your debate with Nox, you openly admit that you are to a certain degree not enlightened. What is it Quinn? Is enlightenment a totally black and white thing? Or is one enlightened to certain degrees? I think the latter is more reasonable myself. Moreover, it seems more painful to be aware of ones imperfection, as opposed to believing in ones perfection. And taking pain is a part of what genius is about, no?

And second: Is Nietzsche a sage or not? To me he seems to have been a very intellectually lopsided and emotionally distraught being, although brilliant. He had a massive intellect, no doubt, and he definitely went deep – however, he certainly was far from perfect and not totally wise – he was narcissistic, grandiose and meglomanic.

It's the same for just about every other thinker that you exhibit and refer to - - most of them were obviously very unperfect - and the ones that seem like they might have been perfect have so long ago past that its ridiculously easy to, over generations, spin up a mythology and thus present the perfect man. Man's desire for inspiration has created the ideal - and the ideal has created the inspiration. This is samsara if you ask me - samsara is the striving for ideals that are not what one imagines. I think this is the case with you Quinn.

Anyhow,

You can understand my confusion about you, no? You seem to shun paradox, and present things in a nice tidy frame work (much like Nietzche liked to do). The consequence of this; is it seems you yourself are a walking contradiction. You don’t seem perfect, you admit you are not perfect, and therefore, if we were to go by your definition of a sage, you are not a sage.
Last edited by Cory Duchesne on Fri May 05, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Cory, I think those are good questions.
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Cory Patrick wrote:
It always seemed natural to me to assume that there are degrees of wisdom
I wrote a bit about this topic a while ago, I’ve repeated it below.

Understanding Truth is a big "first step", but there are more steps to take – steps that deepen that understanding. Your life becomes an outward example of that deepening, as your attachments become weakened and your inner life strengthened. But because you are still developing, you may still fall under the sway of illusion, but only for a moment or two. You are not lost in the feminine, like ignorant people are – you can pass through it, with very little consequence. You are aware of your feminine qualities, but are able to amend them.

It’s like a tradesman who, though he learnt his trade well during his apprenticeship years, still has to ‘find his feet’ once he begins his working life. As each year passes he gains more confidence as his understanding and abilities grow. So, from his very first day as an apprentice, to a career spanning forty years, he has been a ‘tradesman’ possessing varying degrees of skill.

The same with understanding Truth – there are the early years, when your understanding grows and matures, and then the later years, when you are able to rest more in your deeper understanding. All that time, you understand Truth, and during that time, you are continually making slight corrections to your behaviour, based on the depth of your understanding.

For instance, Nietzsche was a great skeptic, a shrewd and discerning thinker, however, he was not without his imperfections, megalomania, narcissism, and vanity. The same goes for other great thinkers – Schopenhauer, Jiddu Krishnamurti, U.G. Krishnamuti, Jesus -
Even though all wise people know at base the same Truth, they develop differently because of their individual strengths and weakness. What makes a Great Thinker ‘great’ isn’t his personality or charisma, but how closely he lives according to the Truth. So I personally wouldn’t include “Schopenhauer, Jiddu Krishnamurti and U.G. Krishnamuti” in my list of Great Men, because they didn’t really understand the Truth - which is made clear through their work and their lives. I would include Nietzsche and Jesus, because they both showed that Truth was more important to them than anything else. (See below)

Jesus said:
"He who does not hate his father and his mother cannot be a disciple to me. And (he who does not) hate his brothers and sisters and take up his cross like me, will not be worthy of me."

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

Nietzsche wrote:
"Is it not better to fall into the hands of a murderer than into the dreams of a
lustful woman?"

"My brother, if thou be fortunate, thou hast but one virtue and no more: thus mayst thou go more easily over the bridge."

Your assertion that 'cause and effect' is the creator of all things, just doesn’t cut it for me
What's your problem with ‘cause and effect’?

Sue
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Sue,

There's a significant difference between having a problem with 'cause&effect as a valid and practical concept' and 'cause&effect as the creator of all things(appearances)'.

I have no problem with 'cause&effect' as long as it is seen as the concept it is, useful in that it makes life more predictable than it would be if one had no conceptions of cause and effect at all. Life unfolds in patterns and we can use more and more advanced conceptions of causality to map out relationships, laws, patterns, general tendancies, etc....thus helping us make survival less of a friction and a struggle. Mans problem is, no matter how advanced his conception of causality is, there remains a kernal of uncertainty and unpredictability - which man(the fool) has always regarded as an enemy. The wise makes friends with the involuntary, unpredictability, incongruity, nature, always using her to his own advantage, or better, regarding himself as, in part, her, whereas, for the fool, unpredictability/nature remains a gnawing anxiety or a sudden dagger from the dark, delivering him to injury.

Jesus was undoubtedly receptive to profound truths, however, he serves as the perfect example of someone who was victimized by his own hubris. He was a brilliant fool in that he gratified himself immensely in assertions which were indeed profound, timely and vital, and thus, because he was so caught up in a frenetic passion, he allowed the unpredictable, the unforeseen, to cause him pain, anguish and defeat.

Nietzsche himself said Jesus was probably a hypersensitive idiot savant who, because he was a misfit and social imbecile, developed an intense inferiority complex. This unusually intense inferiority complex, combined with an unusual amount of sensitivity, energy, as well as an unusual autistic propensity, lead him to strive toward superiority to the world, and to will it – to an extent, he succeeded. Nietzsche had suspected Jesus of such a personality, probably because Nietzsche himself, largely, was quite similar to Jesus. Nietzsche was notorious for his unsociability, not to mention autistic propensity to discern profoundly.

I am not dismissing Nietzche and Jesus from my list of great men, for they certainly were.

But my point was and is, Nietzche and Jesus were not sages. (not that i'm saying that sage is idealistically sociable in a conventional sense - he is most certainly not)

They were both very emotional. Nietzsche’s later writings reveal a very inflated emotional ego. And as for Jesus, well, tell me, what do you make of this quote?:

"Father, why have you foresaken me!?" - Jesus screaming in anguish on the cross.

He was screaming in indignation toward (unbenownst to him) a non-existent God, aggrieved and anguished by his sentence to death.

Deluded, no?

Did Jesus foresee the world wide mania that his frenetic and grandiose preaching had caused over the past millennia? Probably not, if he did, he would have lived a more superior approach - something akin to Siddartha G.

So far, man's attempts to use a conception of causality to his advantage has largely backfired and created just as many, or more problems - rather than eliminating whatever dislike he was originally trying to overcome.

So, Sue. Do you think 'cause and effect' is the creator of all appearances? To me, this is a foolish statement. Do not think I am attempting to deny causal relationships altogether.

I see that there must be an undivided whole body of cause and effect. What caused that whole body? Quinn says it is uncaused.

Therefore, Everything is ultimately uncaused.

To say cause and effect is the creator of all things is a non-sequitor.

Back in Feburary, Quinn and I had a discussion. Here is an exerpt:

Cory: How advanced can one's conception of causality be?

Isn’t there 'always' a higher level? If there is infinitely higher levels of causal understanding, then ones current conception of causality ought to be viewed as a useful assumption to be employed very, very carefully, if not reluctantly - - for a new, more superior perspective shall always unfolds and destroy the old. What is the limit?

David: One keeps pushing the concept of causality until it successfully dissolves all boundaries between things and then that's the end of it. One cannot go any further with it.

Causality now has to be left behind and one has to step up into a new and deeper truth - namely, that things have no beginning or end. Or even more accurately, there are really no things at all.

It is at this point that you can discard the concept of causality.

It has fulfilled its function. It is like rowing a boat to the other side of a river - once you reach the other side, you can leave the boat behind and continue traveling.

Understanding causality and pushing it all the way is but the first step towards enlightenment. There are still many more steps to go.

So, after discarding causality as a concept, what is the creator of all things?

Certainly not causality.

Anyways, this is a bit off topic. I am still waiting to here David address the issue of what a sage is, what perfection is, if he thinks Nietzche was a sage, etc….
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory,
You call yourself a sage, your call your self enlightened, you claim that sage-hood and enlightenment are perfection, and you claim that enlightenment is a black and white thing – however, in your debate with Nox, you openly admit that you are to a certain degree not enlightened. What is it Quinn? Is enlightenment a totally black and white thing? Or is one enlightened to certain degrees?

It is important to distinguish between two different attainments here - namely, enlightenment and perfection. The contradictions you perceive stem from confusing these two things together.

A person is "enlightened" when he fully comprehends Reality intellectually and, as a consequence, has opened up his consciousness to it directly, at least once. In other words, if he has entered the kingdom of heaven, at least temporarily, and if he understands its nature intimately and can speak about it with expertise and authority, then he is enlightened.

While this is certainly a great achievement, it falls short of "perfection", which is where the enlightened person is able to maintain his enlightened consciousness indefinitely, effiortlessly, and without interruption.

The enlightened person's intellectual understanding of Reality is flawless, but he isn't able to keep his mind fully focused on the nature of Reality at all times. He is still imperfect. He still possesses bad habits picked up from a lifetime of egotistical activity. It takes time for these habits to change - a lot of time.

As an example, an enlightened person might fully understand that he lacks a self and there is really no life or death, but because he hasn't yet succeeded in fully removing his ego, he still continues to experience delusion on an instinctual level. For instance, he might suddenly becoming fearful in a theatening situation, despite his tremendous understanding of things. The perfect person is perfect because he has succeeded in eliminating these instinctual delusions entirely and no longer falls into any kind of delusion at all.

Given this, I consider myself to be somewhere on the line between enlightenment and perfection.

I think the latter is more reasonable myself. Moreover, it seems more painful to be aware of ones imperfection, as opposed to believing in ones perfection.

Ideally, one should be able to recognize and accept what is really there - including one's imperfections, if in fact they exist, or one's perfection, if in fact that is the case. Believing in things which aren't really there is never a good policy.

And taking pain is a part of what genius is about, no?
Well, perfectly-realized genius is beyond all pain, while the struggle to reach that point can certainly be painful at times, yes.

And second: Is Nietzsche a sage or not? To me he seems to have been a very intellectually lopsided and emotionally distraught being, although brilliant. He had a massive intellect, no doubt, and he definitely went deep – however, he certainly was far from perfect and not totally wise – he was narcissistic, grandiose and meglomanic.

I don't rate him as highly I used to. He appears to have had an intuitive insight into the nature of Truth, but he gives me the impression that he never really made that critical breakthrough into enlightened consciousness. For all his bravado, he never reached out and grasped Nature by the throat and shook out her deepest secret. He seemed to be on the cusp of doing this for a while there, but, for whatever reason, he never actually did it.

It's the same for just about every other thinker that you exhibit and refer to - - most of them were obviously very unperfect - and the ones that seem like they might have been perfect have so long ago past that its ridiculously easy to, over generations, spin up a mythology and thus present the perfect man. Man's desire for inspiration has created the ideal - and the ideal has created the inspiration. This is samsara if you ask me - samsara is the striving for ideals that are not what one imagines. I think this is the case with you Quinn.
I agree that as of yet no one in history appears to have reached perfection, but there have clearly been a number of thinkers who were fully enlightened - e.g. Lao Tzu, Chuang Tsu, Diogenes, Kierkegaard, Hakuin, Huang Po, Nagarjuna, etc. Their insight into Truth was immaculate and shouldn't be downplayed just because they still had imperfections in their character.

-

Regarding cause and effect:
I see that there must be an undivided whole body of cause and effect. What caused that whole body? Quinn says it is uncaused.

Therefore, Everything is ultimately uncaused.

To say cause and effect is the creator of all things is a non-sequitor.
Are you still chasing these semantic phantoms? There is no difference between saying "all things are caused" and "the Whole is uncaused". Both are identical statements. The reason why the Whole is uncaused is precisely because all things are caused. The Whole just keeps stretching back forever.

David: One keeps pushing the concept of causality until it successfully dissolves all boundaries between things and then that's the end of it. One cannot go any further with it.

Causality now has to be left behind and one has to step up into a new and deeper truth - namely, that things have no beginning or end. Or even more accurately, there are really no things at all.

It is at this point that you can discard the concept of causality.

It has fulfilled its function. It is like rowing a boat to the other side of a river - once you reach the other side, you can leave the boat behind and continue traveling.

Understanding causality and pushing it all the way is but the first step towards enlightenment. There are still many more steps to go.

Cory: So, after discarding causality as a concept, what is the creator of all things?

Certainly not causality.
The question you ask here is meaningless because it is impossible for there to be "things" without "causes". The two always go together. A thing can only ever come into existence through its causes. There is no other way.

Above, I talked about abandoning the concept of cause and effect after one has understood that nothing really begins or ends, and that therefore nothing ever really exists - that is, after one has abandoned the notion of "things". This is the reason why cause and effect is ultimately a fiction - because things themselves are ultimately fictitious. Your question above is senseless in the light of this.

I have no problem with 'cause&effect' as long as it is seen as the concept it is, useful in that it makes life more predictable than it would be if one had no conceptions of cause and effect at all. Life unfolds in patterns and we can use more and more advanced conceptions of causality to map out relationships, laws, patterns, general tendancies, etc....thus helping us make survival less of a friction and a struggle. Mans problem is, no matter how advanced his conception of causality is, there remains a kernal of uncertainty and unpredictability - which man(the fool) has always regarded as an enemy.
You are still showing that you haven't really grasped what cause and effect is in its essence. You don't yet understand its very core. You reveal this in the way you talk about the predictability or unpredictability of future events and the uncertainty of empirical issues generally, all of which is irrelevant.

The enlightened person who understands cause and effect doesn't eliminate the unpredictablility and uncertainty of future events. For him, future events are still as unpredictable and uncertain as ever. Once again, you are veering off into a tangent at this critical juncture, instead of tackling the main matter head on. Maybe it is because you want to maintain an attachment to uncertainty.

-
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Cory Patrick wrote:
I have no problem with 'cause&effect' as long as it is seen as the concept it is, useful in that it makes life more predictable than it would be if one had no conceptions of cause and effect at all. Life unfolds in patterns and we can use more and more advanced conceptions of causality to map out relationships, laws, patterns, general tendancies, etc....thus helping us make survival less of a friction and a struggle.
What about its use to understand that things do not have inherent existence? This use of cause and effect sets in motion a revolutionary change in thinking about the universe, and is very different from just using it to discern patterns, etc.
Mans problem is, no matter how advanced his conception of causality is, there remains a kernal of uncertainty and unpredictability - which man(the fool) has always regarded as an enemy.
That “kernel” supplies man with his excuse to not strive for Truth. He says, “Everything is uncertain, therefore the truth is unknowable”. This makes his life very pleasant indeed, because this way he can be as inconsistent and irrational as he likes, without any consequence – or so he believes.
The wise makes friends with the involuntary, unpredictability, incongruity, nature, always using her to his own advantage, or better, regarding himself as, in part, her, whereas, for the fool, unpredictability/nature remains a gnawing anxiety or a sudden dagger from the dark, delivering him to injury.
Yes, the wise man rests easy in Nature, while the fool spends eternity enslaved to his ignorance.
Jesus was undoubtedly receptive to profound truths, however, he serves as the perfect example of someone who was victimized by his own hubris. He was a brilliant fool in that he gratified himself immensely in assertions which were indeed profound, timely and vital, and thus, because he was so caught up in a frenetic passion, he allowed the unpredictable, the unforeseen, to cause him pain, anguish and defeat.
Jesus may have had his weaknesses, but those weaknesses were minute compared to the madness of everyone around him. It’s the Tall Poppy Syndrome isn’t it? Most people don’t want to actually correct their own inconsistencies and irrationalities, and that's why they try to bring down those who do. "Everyone must be on the same level" - says the mob.
Nietzsche himself said Jesus was probably a hypersensitive idiot savant who, because he was a misfit and social imbecile, developed an intense inferiority complex. This unusually intense inferiority complex, combined with an unusual amount of sensitivity, energy, as well as an unusual autistic propensity, lead him to strive toward superiority to the world, and to will it – to an extent, he succeeded. Nietzsche had suspected Jesus of such a personality, probably because Nietzsche himself, largely, was quite similar to Jesus. Nietzsche was notorious for his unsociability, not to mention autistic propensity to discern profoundly.
Again, these wise men matured in their wisdom over time, meaning that sometimes some of their earlier thinking was clumsy and misdirected. But it’s interesting to note, that even in their less developed years, a lot of their thinking shows the philosophical potential which blossomed later on.
I am not dismissing Nietzche and Jesus from my list of great men, for they certainly were.

But my point was and is, Nietzche and Jesus were not sages. (not that i'm saying that sage is idealistically sociable in a conventional sense - he is most certainly not)
Looking at the lives and works of wise men is useful, but it is perhaps more useful to first understand the same Truth they did. Once this is done, it will surely make their lives and their thinking much clearer.
They were both very emotional. Nietzsche’s later writings reveal a very inflated emotional ego. And as for Jesus, well, tell me, what do you make of this quote?:

"Father, why have you foresaken me!?" - Jesus screaming in anguish on the cross.

He was screaming in indignation toward (unbenownst to him) a non-existent God, aggrieved and anguished by his sentence to death.

Deluded, no?
I don’t pay too much attention to a lot of what is written about Jesus in the Bible, because a hell of a lot of it is rubbish (worldly emotional prattle). But if he did say it, it could be that he experienced a moment of emotion, and that thought arose. I wouldn’t judge him on this thought alone, not when you look at the many other thoughts he had regarding Reality.
Did Jesus foresee the world wide mania that his frenetic and grandiose preaching had caused over the past millennia? Probably not, if he did, he would have lived a more superior approach - something akin to Siddartha G.
Well maybe he could have been a bit more direct, but it is hard to put the entire blame on him for the craziness of Christianity. It is inevitable that deluded people will always twist and pollute wise people’s thoughts to make them more user-friendly. The Buddha also ended up fronting an institution that is as ridiculous as Christianity. Nietzsche, Kierkegaard and Weininger have all been trampled on, muddied up, used and abused – but it is inevitable when you consider the mindlessness of the mob.
So far, man's attempts to use a conception of causality to his advantage has largely backfired and created just as many or more problems - rather than eliminating whatever dislike he was originally trying to overcome.
So far, man hasn’t made much effort to look at the deeper consequences of causality.
So, Sue. Do you think 'cause and effect' is the creator of all appearances?
Yes. The common idea of a thing having inherent existence is made absurd when you see that all things are caused. Therefore all things are interconnected, as they have no boundaries. This boundless universe is the creator of all appearances.
To me, this is a foolish statement. Do not think I am attempting to deny causal relationships altogether.
No Cory, I don’t. I think you are interested in understanding causality, but that it is still just out of reach.

Sue
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Sue wrote:
Cory: They were both very emotional. Nietzsche’s later writings reveal a very inflated emotional ego. And as for Jesus, well, tell me, what do you make of this quote?:

Deluded, no?

Sue: I don’t pay too much attention to a lot of what is written about Jesus in the Bible, because a hell of a lot of it is rubbish (worldly emotional prattle). But if he did say it, it could be that he experienced a moment of emotion, and that thought arose. I wouldn’t judge him on this thought alone, not when you look at the many other thoughts he had regarding Reality.
It could be that the stories of Jesus are meant to be taken as allegorical teachings.

In this instance, Jesus dying on the cross and uttering those despairing words could be a reference to a stage on the spiritual path, just before enlightenment, wherein one is thrashing about in sheer desire for Truth and yet, despite all of one's efforts, the final breakthrough is as elusive as ever. This can be a very dark period. One has sacrificed so much in order to attain this supreme enlightenment, and yet here, at the final hurdle, the final step seems impossible to make.

In this period of abject despair, in which the spiritual person no longer has anything to fall back on - either egotistically or spiritually - it can be very tempting for him to cry out to God: "Why have you forsaken me?"

-
jmack

Post by jmack »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:Sue wrote:
Cory:

-
The actual quote from matthew on this phrase is, "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

There are several biblical disputes over the actual translation of the Aramaic words, which matthew then translated into Greek (one variation of the possible translations of the aramaic fits very much with another of the quotes from the cross, it is finished, meaning the propheswy is completed), but there is no question why that greek translation is there. The phrase is also the opening words of the 22nd Psalm with references back to Elijah. Both references are to prophecies of the Messiah. The people who heard him asked why he is calling on Elijah, the readers of the Bible have no question to the references.

And there is still another possibility, along with citing prophecy, he could, like so many good Jews in times of trouble, turned to psalms for prayer. And just like many Christians today favor the next Pslam, "The Lord is my shepherd. . ." Jesus, after hanging, if the Bible is right for nearly six hours, was using some of his last strength to prayer using a psalm of David. There are a lot of reasons why that particular psalm woujld have been prayed besides the fullfillment of prophecy.

It is good to look at the words in context of the the man saying them, even if you don't accept the Christian message, or even the role he cast himself in most of his ministry, that of a Jewish prophet.
jmack

Post by jmack »

In researching the prvious post I came across this:

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Sue wrote:
I think you are interested in understanding causality, but that it is still just out of reach.
I find that you genius forum elites make it very easy to turn what are essentially separate issues into one. For example, understanding cause and effect is not hard and is one matter, whereas, on the other hand, there is applying causality so rigorously that you realize nothing inherently exists, including causality.

Not only that, but there is also the importance of being careful that your cause and effect abstractions match actuality. Like I mentioned in a previous post, my dog understands cause and effect. Human’s, unlike a dog, are conscious that they understand the concept of cause and effect. Why do you genius forum people always insist that humanity doesn’t understand cause and effect? I think what you should be emphasizing is that humanity isn’t interested or is afraid of 1) being sure that their fancied causal concepts match actuality, and 2) applying the concept of cause and effect so rigorously that it destroys the notion of there being anything at all.

1) you have the basic logic of cause and effect (which a dog can understand), 2) you have the challenge of making sure your abstract causal concepts match the cruelty and tragedy of actuality, and 3) one must apply cause and effect wholly/totally.

You people seem to be down-playing the significance of being aware of these distinctions.

Consequently, when you come across anyone who speaks or writes with an unsatisfactory degree of awareness, you exclaim: “Oh, so and so just doesn’t understand cause and effect! that’s all!”

It's not that simple.

On the genius form, the phrase ‘Cause and Effect’ I find is used more like a shibboleth, with emphasis lacking in the areas most vital.

Would you say that Einstein didn’t understand causality? That would be too silly, surely Einstein had a relatively advanced conception of causality. However, it would be reasonable to say that Einstein didn’t apply his understanding of causality so rigorously that he realized nothing inherently existed, which is a whole other matter altogether, and is the real area of importance.

It was nice to have David clarify the enlightenment and perfection question, however, I think he needs to realize that he is (perhaps unconsciously) making it seem like 1) a sage is perfect and 2) David Quinn is a sage. This goes back to the problem of confusing two separate issues, as one issue.

Perfection gets associated with sagehood. David Quinn calls himself a sage, and thus, he influences people to think he is perfect.

This is why I am always trying to challenge the QRS, and largely Quinn, because the impression was that Quinn was selling himself to be perfect. I am not trying to reduce Quinn, the QRS, the genius forum down to the level of the herd. I understand that higher levels of quality exist. By challenging the QRS and giving them a hard time, ultimately I am trying to improve the quality of the board. Although I realize that some attempts at challenging, confronting and criticizing the QRS are more feeble and imbecilic than others, sometimes amounting to nothing more than spam (and thus diluting the quality of the board)

I am not saying, nor do I believe that ‘things/appearances’ have an inherent existence. I have realized nothing/no-one exists. How thoroughly I have realized this is questionable considering I have, up until now, never really truly recognized and praised cause&effect as a concept to be the key factor in serving as a catylst to make way for this understanding.

It has been, in part, because of the Genius forum elites, that I have actually realized why one might so stronly emphasize the importance of cause and effect when it comes to understanding nothingness.

However, I've come to realize nothingness on my own initiative years before stumbling upon the genius forum.

I was never fully aware of my means to realize this nothingness (this is because cause and effect thinking is such an unconscious habit in humans, or at least in me - not that i havent had my irrational blunders since I had my first few satoris)

I had always attributed the drastic change in perspective that I had undergone to so many causes, that I realized there ultimately was no cause.

Carl Jung's Synchronicity as an 'Acausal' Connecting Principle had came into my life around the time I started to go deep and around this time I had been having strange experiences (synchronicities, telepathy, clairvoyent, shared ecstasies with others - no, i'm not trying to show off)

So naturally, because I was having experiences that seemed to confirm Jung's theories, I regarded 'cause&effect' thinking to be limited, infantile and too academic'

Later, i would discover the work of David Bohm, Rupert Sheldrake, Terrence Mckenna, Jiddu Krishnamurti and David Peat, all of which served to strenghten my suspicions that there was something important beyond cause and effect.

It’s not 'all' about understanding the concept of cause and effect. That is easy enough. The rarity is to 1) make sure ones abstractions are acurately reflecting 'actuality', and 2) push cause and effect so far as to destroy all notions of there being anything at all - AND - to be totally conscious of ones means of doing this.
DQ: In this period of abject despair, in which the spiritual person no longer has anything to fall back on - either egotistically or spiritually - it can be very tempting for him to cry out to God: "Why have you forsaken me?".
Why do you use the word 'spiritual' David? I also caught you using the word ‘holy ghost’. Why? What good does it do? Why not just say what you mean in less flakey terms? Even (or perhaps I should say 'obviously') using the word 'god' seems silly and ineffectual. Isnt history a good enough lesson to avoid that sort of language?

David, how can one spiritually fall back on something? Give me an example of a spiritual fall-back in contrast to an egotistical fall-back.

The most inimical tendency I’ve noticed on this forum is the common tendency to create distinctions where and when it is unnecessary to do so, and to neglect making distinctions where it is responsible and useful.

Not that I havent been guilty of doing it, but I think are a few words we ought not to bother using, and maybe start making distinctions in areas where we settle for sloppy generalizations.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Cory,
I find that you genius forum elites make it very easy to turn what are essentially separate issues into one. For example, understanding cause and effect is not hard and is one matter, whereas, on the other hand, there is applying causality so rigorously that you realize nothing inherently exists, including causality.

Well, to my mind, casuality is not properly understood until that deeper realization is reached.

Not only that, but there is also the importance of being careful that your cause and effect abstractions match actuality. Like I mentioned in a previous post, my dog understands cause and effect. Human’s, unlike a dog, are conscious that they understand the concept of cause and effect. Why do you genius forum people always insist that humanity doesn’t understand cause and effect?

It comes from long years of experience of observing and dealing with people.

As you say, most people have an intuitive understanding of causality. It is pretty hard not to, given that it is constantly unfolding all around them and underlies everything they do in life. But very few people explicitly bring it into their consciousness and investigate its nature thoroughly. And as a result, very few people become aware of its philosophical significance.

For example, it is always interesting trying to discuss these matters with scientists. You would think that, out of anyone, they would be the ones who are most receptive to it. And yet when you explain to them the basic principle of casuality and its philosophical implications, they either stare at you with blank faces or scoff at you as though you were peddling some kind of old-fashioned airy-fairy fantasy. So even though they implicitly deal with causality in every aspect of their professional and personal lives, they still have little or no knowledge of it. It is still a foreign notion to them.

I think what you should be emphasizing is that humanity isn’t interested or is afraid of 1) being sure that their fancied causal concepts match actuality, and 2) applying the concept of cause and effect so rigorously that it destroys the notion of there being anything at all.

1) you have the basic logic of cause and effect (which a dog can understand), 2) you have the challenge of making sure your abstract causal concepts match the cruelty and tragedy of actuality, and 3) one must apply cause and effect wholly/totally.

You people seem to be down-playing the significance of being aware of these distinctions.
I'm sure if you observe proceedings more carefully, you will see that each of these aspects are stressed at the appriopriate time.

For example, one of the biggest hindrances to people applying causality more rigorously and widely in their lives is their attachmnents. As a result, a lot of time and effort on this board is directed towards undermining people's attachments.

Would you say that Einstein didn’t understand causality? That would be too silly, surely Einstein had a relatively advanced conception of causality. However, it would be reasonable to say that Einstein didn’t apply his understanding of causality so rigorously that he realized nothing inherently existed, which is a whole other matter altogether, and is the real area of importance.
One of the reasons why Einstein didn't apply his understanding of causality rigorously was because his understanding of it was still very naive and limited. He wasn't a stupid man. It would have been natural for him to explore the logical consequences of casuality had he the opportunity, but because he never really recognized what causality was in the first place, he didn't do so.

Indeed, his understanding of causality was so limited that he actually thought quantum theory posed a threat to it. He spent the last thirty years of his life trying to defend causality from this phantom threat, which has to be classed as sustained idiocy.

It was nice to have David clarify the enlightenment and perfection question, however, I think he needs to realize that he is (perhaps unconsciously) making it seem like 1) a sage is perfect and 2) David Quinn is a sage. This goes back to the problem of confusing two separate issues, as one issue.

Perfection gets associated with sagehood. David Quinn calls himself a sage, and thus, he influences people to think he is perfect.
I don't know, Cory. Most people would immediately pick up that I am not perfect. After all, I have an overly-high opinion of myself, no sense of humour, fixed repetitive views, a pathological hatred of women, a weakness for engaging in character assassination, a fear of intimacy and love, a lack of shame in bludging off the backs of Australian workers, a callous indifference towards the suffering of others - the list goes on and on. So I don't think there is much danger in misleading people on this front.

Hopefully, whatever influence I have with people will ultimately come from the quality of my thought. If someone examines my thought and considers it to be significant and flawless, then that could inspire them to improve the quality of their own thought.

This is why I am always trying to challenge the QRS, and largely Quinn, because the impression was that Quinn was selling himself to be perfect. I am not trying to reduce Quinn, the QRS, the genius forum down to the level of the herd. I understand that higher levels of quality exist. By challenging the QRS and giving them a hard time, ultimately I am trying to improve the quality of the board. Although I realize that some attempts at challenging, confronting and criticizing the QRS are more feeble and imbecilic than others, sometimes amounting to nothing more than spam (and thus diluting the quality of the board)
You're asking pointed questions and challenging the proclaimed wisdom of the board - that's good. You are performing a service.

I was never fully aware of my means to realize this nothingness (this is because cause and effect thinking is such an unconscious habit in humans, or at least in me - not that i havent had my irrational blunders since I had my first few satoris)

I had always attributed the drastic change in perspective that I had undergone to so many causes, that I realized there ultimately was no cause.

Carl Jung's Synchronicity as an 'Acausal' Connecting Principle had came into my life around the time I started to go deep and around this time I had been having strange experiences (synchronicities, telepathy, clairvoyent, shared ecstasies with others - no, i'm not trying to show off)

So naturally, because I was having experiences that seemed to confirm Jung's theories, I regarded 'cause&effect' thinking to be limited, infantile and too academic'

Later, i would discover the work of David Bohm, Rupert Sheldrake, Terrence Mckenna, Jiddu Krishnamurti and David Peat, all of which served to strenghten my suspicions that there was something important beyond cause and effect.

Yes, this is one of those iron-clad dichotomies embedded in society that I have to bump my head against every day - the false idea that causality is a dull worldly, academic notion, and that spirituality necessarily involves the rejection of it. Society is full of these iron-clad dichotomies which makes it so much harder for people to pursue philosophy more deeply and fluidly

DQ: In this period of abject despair, in which the spiritual person no longer has anything to fall back on - either egotistically or spiritually - it can be very tempting for him to cry out to God: "Why have you forsaken me?".

C: Why do you use the word 'spiritual' David? I also caught you using the word ‘holy ghost’. Why? What good does it do? Why not just say what you mean in less flakey terms? Even (or perhaps I should say 'obviously') using the word 'god' seems silly and ineffectual. Isnt history a good enough lesson to avoid that sort of language?

It is important to know how to speak about the Truth in different languages - athiest, scientific, Christian, Buddhist, New Age, etc. One is constantly dealing with different kinds of people who harbour different kinds of mentalities.

Sometimes using atheistic language isn't all that effective when dealing with, say, Christians. Rather than simply opposing their beliefs with atheistic arguments, it is often more effective to use their own language to trigger deeper lines of thought inside them. If you can turn, say, their concept of God back on itself or stretch it out of shape a bit, it can trigger insight and a fresh approach to philosophical issues.

It's a bit like using stealth to steal into their minds and invert some of the furniture and structures from within. The changes can trigger some new life in there.

It's also good, as a teaching technique, to keep mixing up the language in order shake people out of their complacent lines of thought and free them up so that they can continue broadening and deepening their understanding of things. The goal is to become independent on all language-forms. It's a sign of wisdom when a person's understanding of Reality is so advanced and flexible that he can talk about it in a thousand different ways and is just as comfortable using Christian language as he is about using Buddhist or atheistic.

David, how can one spiritually fall back on something? Give me an example of a spiritual fall-back in contrast to an egotistical fall-back.

The primary spiritual fallback is enlightenment itself. That is, as soon as one pierces the veil of Maya (i.e. the core delusion of inherent existence), one automatically goes beyond a thousand pitfalls and can never re-enter them again. One goes up to another level, as it were, and all the dangers of the previous levels are left behind.

The most inimical tendency I’ve noticed on this forum is the common tendency to create distinctions where and when it is unnecessary to do so, and to neglect making distinctions where it is responsible and useful.

Not that I havent been guilty of doing it, but I think are a few words we ought not to bother using, and maybe start making distinctions in areas where we settle for sloppy generalizations.
As I say, it is important to keep mixing things up. Sometimes it is important to make sharp distinctions between things, while at other times it is just as important to dissolve them again. The critical thing to keep in mind that none of the distinctions we make are really "there". We mentally create them and they either serve their purpose effectively or they don't.

In Buddhism, you can find all sorts of distinctions being made. Depending on what text you read, the path to enlightenment will consist of six stages, eight stages, ten, twenty-five, or a hundred stages! Take your pick. If it is a Zen text, it will probably say there are no stages at all. All of these views are perfectly correct, when properly understood.

-
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Cory:
I have realized nothing/no-one exists.
That seems to me to be an extraordinarily difficult thing to do. Do you mind me asking why?
:D
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory: I have realized nothing/no-one exists.

suergaz: That seems to me to be an extraordinarily difficult thing to do. Do you mind me asking why? :D
Why is realizing noone/nothing exists difficult? Well, first of all, it is quite undesirable for most of us. Generally we are inflating and building ourselves up (sometimes in the name of egolessness). Death is not something we are all that interested in. So, you then might say, "it is extraordinarily difficult to be interested in death". So, you can see that 'intellect' is not necessarily the only major factor. Cultivate your intellect all you want, but your fears will probably only grow stronger and harder to be free from.

Some may claim it is difficult intellectually, and some may say it is difficult emotionally. There are some requisite realizations that need to be dealt with before ultimate realization. The requisite realizations will be/are hard to swallow emotionally only to the degree you have been gratified by self-aggrandizing knowledge/opinion/attitudes, but intellecutally, everything required to understand the ultimate is quite simple. Even an understanding of the ultimate is an understanding of great simplicity. Inattentiveness toward and ignorance of what gratifies,pleases and flatters us is what will give us the most trouble by making the truth much more painful to accept.

Gratification in knowledge, beliefs, the image we have of ourselves, our desire to be great men, to make family proud, the desire to prove to oneself and to others that one is not the imbecile that past experiences seem to so strongly indicate - -

all of these qualites and more are qualities of energy that most live their lives unaware of, sometimes while pursuing god, egolessness and wisdom. Ultimately the desire to be happy by means of some particular cause has to finally wither and die.

How many mirages must one chase to realize this?

As long as you assume that ultimate realization is something you 'do' out of determination, then that assumption will also make it very difficult for you.

There is no doer who realizes. There is no 'realizer'. There is only realization. It is not an achievement. Realization comes darkly, unexpectedly, after there is total physiological exhaustion.

There needs to be a certain revulsion, a nausea, a disgust with the ways of sensation. This is not a choice, it is just something that happens to those who have had the luxury to be interested in this sort of thing. That is why I say you must not resist. Do what you will. It is very simple.

Realization comes after you have totally given up. This act of giving up is not a choice. It is a defeat on your part. That being said, you will have forgotten these words before the moment your realization comes. Your realization, if it ever comes, will come sometime after you have let go and forgot whatever seemed profound or important to you. If you go around carrying and chattering about the words and advice of others, enigmatic or straightfoward, as long as there is a feeling of importance in the things your mind has picked up and carries, you will not realize how infintesimally unimportant you are, which ultimately is what the truth is.

and of course, accompanying this particular realization of the selfs unimportance is often a strong conviction that this sort of realization is tremendously important.

Tell me suergaz, do you believe you have choice? Do you believe you make choices? Do you believe in a personal will?

These, among other basic questions need to be gone into. Due to where these questions lead, most do not explore them seriously.
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Tell me suergaz, do you believe you have choice? Do you believe you make choices? Do you believe in a personal will?
Yes. Yes. Yes. I also think my belief in this is ultimately of no consequence. Thanks for taking on my question. I cannot yet be convinced that nothing and no-one exists.
frank

Post by frank »

After all, I have an overly-high opinion of myself, no sense of humour, fixed repetitive views, a pathological hatred of women, a weakness for engaging in character assassination, a fear of intimacy and love, a lack of shame in bludging off the backs of Australian workers, a callous indifference towards the suffering of others - the list goes on and on.
That's pretty much the Booby Prize David.

It might be time to get out from under Solway's 'spell'...the aridity of his Philosophy...

Go Home and take care of your Teenage Boy...when he's a grown Man you can return to Solway with a deeper perspective...

You know what I mean...Man to Man.

frank
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I love the aridity of the booby prize far too much to want to do that.

I know you probably mean well (or you're trying to land some kind of punch on me), but you're really behind the times with this one. While Kevin has been a mentor to me in the past (and a good one), those days are long gone. Nowadays I operate entirely by my own understanding and wisdom.

A good teacher can pull a student out of the pit of ignorance and place him in the Land of Safety. But once this is done, the student doesn't need the teacher anymore. He can go off and do his own thing.

Your constant reference to the "booby prize" of enlightenment is also misplaced. It does not describe my reality in any way. I feel as though my life has been enhanced immeasurably by becoming involved in philosophy, not diminished. So there is little chance that the game you are playing here will make an impact on me.

And don't worry, the boy is fine.

-
frank

Post by frank »

I know you probably mean well (or you're trying to land some kind of punch on me)
I want to know the 'truth'...the prior Causes...that got you where you are today...you keep 'throwing the Script' at me and insisting it's the 'Right Script'...

You've become like a 'Blurb Writer for Holiday Destinations'.....for a Tourist Operator.
The Land of Safety...is that near the Garden of Eden?...the Promised Land?
It's certainly Poetic.
And don't worry, the boy is fine.
Yes, the Boy is fine...as long as he 'fits in' with your 'scheme of things'....as long as he doesn't 'drag' on your purse or Personage...as long as he 'practices' detachment from you...as long as he is 'over there' and 'not here'....

Who speaks for the 'fatherless boy'?
Is the Boy Fine from the Boy's Angle?

Are you so locked into your Script it's become bothersome to think outside it?
Is that's what's happening?

frank