some help please

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
treadmill

some help please

Post by treadmill »

where is my mind?
David Quinn

Re: some help please

Post by David Quinn »

Have you lost it?

-
average

Post by average »

treadmill wrote:where is my mind?

where is the wind?
ChaoticMelody

Post by ChaoticMelody »

Where is the soul?
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Where is dinner?

*I'm standing in for Dan*
Good Citizen Carl
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

treadmill wrote:where is my mind?

Good question!

Thanks to your question i came upon an interesting website (Deviant Art) our daughter will enjoy. Thanks, Treddy.

Try these:

(my fave)
Digital Art

http://www.deviantart.com

PIXIE LYRICS - Where is My Mind?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pixies/w ... ymind.html

You know where your hands are; do you know where your mind is?

http://www.aish.com/spirituality/growth ... _Mind$.asp

It takes just a second to deem other's behavior as irresponsible, inconsiderate and wrong. But it's also easy to turn around and think the best of them.

"dan l'kaf zechut"

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

truth_justice

Post by truth_justice »

The problem is that the question "Where" requires a "point" from which one draws a relative location.

Take for example the question "Where is the planet Earth?". How should we answer this? We often take the Sun as the point from which draw a relative location for Earth. But if someone went one step further and asked, "Where is the Sun?", things get a bit complicated. This process can continue until every single object in the universe is accounted for, if there are finite number of objects. If that is possible, and then someone asks, "Where are all the objects accounted for?", we run into a problem. As in this case there is no point from which to draw a relative location for all the objects as a whole. That is when we say "they are" as the question "Where" makes no sense to ask.

In a similar way, we can say the mind "is", as it makes no sense to ask "where". Others like to say the mind is "everywhere" or more correctly "nowhere".

Imagine you had to answer the question "Where is gravity?", how would you go about answering it? This question is equivalent to yours.

This is a personal view. By no means it is right.
Truth, Justice, Freedom.
treadmill

Post by treadmill »

so if mind is everywhere, why am i always seeing it from here?

or rather, if it is wherever it is, then why do I see it in the same place, day in day out?
truth_justice

Post by truth_justice »

treadmill wrote:so if mind is everywhere, why am i always seeing it from here?

or rather, if it is wherever it is, then why do I see it in the same place, day in day out?
Your question is similar to: "Why do I experience gravity on Earth?" The answer is obvious. If you were on Mars, you would experience gravity on Mars.

However, let try to explain a bit. Your senses, after repeated use of them, begin to "bound" the mind. What is worse, you begin to associate that which the senses can sense with the mind. So, if you are seeing an object in front of you, it must be that your mind, is "there" seeing it. Let me debunk this idea right now.

Suppose I was looking at a traffic camera from my office 200km away. Can I claim that because I am looking at the traffic 200km away from me, that my mind is "there" where the camera is? No! Your senses are like the camera. The office, is the mind, except it is everywhere. It is the camera that gives you the false sense of "the mind is here". Does that make sense to you?

If the above isn't a convincing example, consider the same example in more complex setting - virtual reality. You should be able to think of scenarios where it appears that you are "there", but in fact you are not - be it in body, mind or something else.

Consider reading Daniel C. Dennett Where Am I? I read it quite a while back. If I recall correctly, Dennett takes a similar approach as I, except he makes use of wireless technology in his thought-experiment, and covers many cases. It is a short essay, ten or so pages, and I think you will find it interesting.
Truth, Justice, Freedom.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Here is an interesting thought-experiment:

Imagine that instead of having eyes located in the sockets of our skulls, we had evolved a pair of long tentacles that snaked out from these sockets, each with an eye located at the end. Imagine that the tentacles could extend straight upwards, such that we look down at our own skull and the rest of the body.

In such a scenario, our observing consciousness would seem like it is existing in empty space, behind the eyes and above the skull, as opposed to existing inside the skull as it seems to us now. We could suddenly turn our tentacled eyes around and look back, only to find nothing there.

Where indeed is the mind?

-
ZenMuadDib

Post by ZenMuadDib »

This has to do with consciousness and what consciousness itself really is. Is consciousness physical, meaning it resides in the brain and is the sum of firing neurons, or is it non-physical?
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Where is.........MY......MIND

My = Billions of Atoms
Mind - Billions of Sentience
Gravity = Billions of forces

My/Mind/Gravity = Billions of Aether

Aether is the whole of everything. It's you, it's your mind, it's gravity, it's light.

Aether = Particle build, communication, and movement. Aether is everywhere. It is the invisible plumbing of physics.
ezydriver

Post by ezydriver »

ZenMuadDib wrote:This has to do with consciousness and what consciousness itself really is. Is consciousness physical, meaning it resides in the brain and is the sum of firing neurons, or is it non-physical?
If I am not mistaken, was it not Bart Simpson himself who quoted "What is the mind? Is it just a system of impulses, or something tangible?" Followed by a swivelling eye and a bolt of lightning.