Your Logic Efficiency

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
BL4cKZeRo

Your Logic Efficiency

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

If you see it this way (my title)

How would you rate yourself out of 100%?
Kevin Solway

Re: Your Logic Efficiency

Post by Kevin Solway »

It depends to what use the logic is being put.

If the logic is put the the use of mathematical calculations, then my logic efficiency is much lower than that of a computer.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Four. What a great quiz!

*insert roll-eye emoticon here*
Good Citizen Carl
BL4cKZeRo

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

I need to make this clearer, sometimes in given situations we act on either emotion or logic. We solve general issues in our everyday lives. I was just wondering if any of knew how much you let your emotions control your decision. I would say mine is around 80% logic and around 20% emotion. Finally, do any of you see it even theoretically possible to train one's self how to think logically? <-- I already know the answer to this question.. I just want to see what you guys have to say.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Of course it's possible. On that scale, I'd say I make my decisions at 99% logic, 1% emotion - and I hedge that 1% as a logical decision to keep some emotional decisions in allocated portions of my life. I trade stocks and options, and there is nothing like that to really test and train your emotions. A person's financial matters are often more personal to them than their sex life or medical records, and equally one does not realize how emotionally attached one is to one's money until your entire financial well-being is churning in something as flimsy as the stock market. You could easily lose everything you own and owe the market within a month if you made decisions even 10% of the time on emotion. I highly recommend this line of work to anyone who wants to become fully conscious and rid themselves of emotional attachments. It's the ideal line of work for a philosopher because once you learn how the markets work, you don't have to put much time into it - although to do it well, you do have to stay in front of your computer 9:30 - 4 EST, it is not a burden on society like the dole is, and it actually pays you to practice putting reason above emotion and penalizes you for making emotional decisions. There is enough of a random element to it that it will try to stir your emotions by penalizing you despite your best use of logic or occasionally showing a reward for what would have been an illogical decision, but these are things that build character. I'd say that trading the markets, although it is of little benefit to others, it is of great personal benefit to anyone who directly gets in and does hands-on trading themselves (provided they are able to handle this type of stress while looking at themselves, and most are not able to do that). Even if they do not actually end up making money, and most people do not, they will learn more about their emotions and attachments than they could through any other method.
BL4cKZeRo

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Of course it's possible. On that scale, I'd say I make my decisions at 99% logic, 1% emotion - and I hedge that 1% as a logical decision to keep some emotional decisions in allocated portions of my life. I trade stocks and options, and there is nothing like that to really test and train your emotions. A person's financial matters are often more personal to them than their sex life or medical records, and equally one does not realize how emotionally attached one is to one's money until your entire financial well-being is churning in something as flimsy as the stock market. You could easily lose everything you own and owe the market within a month if you made decisions even 10% of the time on emotion. I highly recommend this line of work to anyone who wants to become fully conscious and rid themselves of emotional attachments. It's the ideal line of work for a philosopher because once you learn how the markets work, you don't have to put much time into it - although to do it well, you do have to stay in front of your computer 9:30 - 4 EST, it is not a burden on society like the dole is, and it actually pays you to practice putting reason above emotion and penalizes you for making emotional decisions. There is enough of a random element to it that it will try to stir your emotions by penalizing you despite your best use of logic or occasionally showing a reward for what would have been an illogical decision, but these are things that build character. I'd say that trading the markets, although it is of little benefit to others, it is of great personal benefit to anyone who directly gets in and does hands-on trading themselves (provided they are able to handle this type of stress while looking at themselves, and most are not able to do that). Even if they do not actually end up making money, and most people do not, they will learn more about their emotions and attachments than they could through any other method.
thats a huge %, im sure you do really well in life, thanks for this vital info :D
clyde

Post by clyde »

The question was posed as either emotion or logic as the basis for making life decisions, but I wonder if there is another factor (intuition? trust?) involved in life decisions. While it seems that one can make a life decision based on one’s emotions, it does not seem possible to make a life decision based on logic. I posit this because one cannot completely analyze a life situation (and even the action of analyzing the life situation causes a change in the life situation), nor can one perfectly predict outcomes based on different decisions. In the moment, one can have a ‘feel’ for the probabilities of some (but not all) outcomes and with that one applies values, which are not logic based, to the various outcomes. A choice is made, then one chooses : )

clyde
BL4cKZeRo

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

clyde wrote:The question was posed as either emotion or logic as the basis for making life decisions, but I wonder if there is another factor (intuition? trust?) involved in life decisions. While it seems that one can make a life decision based on one’s emotions, it does not seem possible to make a life decision based on logic. I posit this because one cannot completely analyze a life situation (and even the action of analyzing the life situation causes a change in the life situation), nor can one perfectly predict outcomes based on different decisions. In the moment, one can have a ‘feel’ for the probabilities of some (but not all) outcomes and with that one applies values, which are not logic based, to the various outcomes. A choice is made, then one chooses : )

clyde
would you agree that sometimes/all the time logic can avoid conflict?
clyde

Post by clyde »

BL4cKZeRo wrote:would you agree that sometimes/all the time logic can avoid conflict?
Can you give an example of a life situation where logic avoided a conflict?
BL4cKZeRo

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

clyde wrote:
BL4cKZeRo wrote:would you agree that sometimes/all the time logic can avoid conflict?
Can you give an example of a life situation where logic avoided a conflict?
I'm naturally passive-aggressive so this might be very difficult-impossible to translate into text.

Naturally our biggest flaw in the human society is without a doubt and obviously... "Communication". One of the biggest issues within the human race is the concept of "hidden messages" (hidden messages are possible to be seen/heard through actions/words). I think Most humans who act through emotion are obvious, they start fights/conflict, draw conclusions which result in anger and it inevitably start vicious cycles. Asking questions is the only answer, and I would say this choice is Logic.

Everyone has a "reason", in which the reason is chosen through logic or emotion.

If I need to I can stretch this theory (fact to me) out further and put it in perspective to compare and contrast with our world.

Finally, there are many names for logic, but to me logic is just taking facts and putting the puzzle together. This process can be theoretically applied to anything in our universe.

If you can understand my gibberish then I hope I don't have to be specific about a situation with conflict.
clyde

Post by clyde »

BL4cKZeRo wrote:Finally, there are many names for logic, but to me logic is just taking facts and putting the puzzle together.
But we cannot know all the facts that contribute to a life situation, so we are not able to “put the puzzle together”. We are a “leap of faith” each moment.
BL4cKZeRo

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

clyde wrote:
BL4cKZeRo wrote:Finally, there are many names for logic, but to me logic is just taking facts and putting the puzzle together.
But we cannot know all the facts that contribute to a life situation, so we are not able to “put the puzzle together”. We are a “leap of faith” each moment.
Could you be more specific please?
clyde

Post by clyde »

Specific? I can offer this as a further explanation: Each and every life situation that can be identified depends on more facts than we can know, and since we are missing some pieces (facts), it is not possible for us to “put the puzzle together”. Not only do we lack knowledge of all the facts that created the life situation, we lack the ability to predict with certainty the outcome of any action (or non-action) we take. This uncertainty is the foundation of our life situation. It seems to me, given such uncertainty, that our best course of action is to know as much as we can at any moment, including facts and feelings, apply our values to potential outcomes and act. I suspect that we do this anyway, and later spin a story about why we chose the action we took.
BL4cKZeRo

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

clyde wrote:Specific? I can offer this as a further explanation: Each and every life situation that can be identified depends on more facts than we can know, and since we are missing some pieces (facts), it is not possible for us to “put the puzzle together”. Not only do we lack knowledge of all the facts that created the life situation, we lack the ability to predict with certainty the outcome of any action (or non-action) we take. This uncertainty is the foundation of our life situation. It seems to me, given such uncertainty, that our best course of action is to know as much as we can at any moment, including facts and feelings, apply our values to potential outcomes and act. I suspect that we do this anyway, and later spin a story about why we chose the action we took.
I think a little bit differently, but I'm very very interested in what you guys have to say.
DHodges

Logical Efficiency

Post by DHodges »

BL4cKZeRo wrote:How would you rate yourself out of 100%?
Well, I suppose I would first try to operationalize the term "Logical Efficiency," defining what it meant as best I could, and then deciding how to measure it. I'd try to establish some sort of benchmark, some persons or objects with known efficiencies. Then I would apply my measures to myself, and compare those measurements to those of the known benchmarks.

Or I could just pull a number out of my ass. That might be more logically efficient.
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

What does rating yourself, or rating at all, accomplish?
BL4cKZeRo

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

ChochemV2 wrote:
What does rating yourself, or rating at all, accomplish?
it proves how well you can solve (a) question(s)/conflict... of course, it's only in my opininon ;).
Last edited by BL4cKZeRo on Wed May 30, 2007 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
BL4cKZeRo

Re: Logical Efficiency

Post by BL4cKZeRo »

DHodges wrote:
Well, I suppose I would first try to operationalize the term "Logical Efficiency," defining what it meant as best I could, and then deciding how to measure it. I'd try to establish some sort of benchmark, some persons or objects with known efficiencies. Then I would apply my measures to myself, and compare those measurements to those of the known benchmarks.

Or I could just pull a number out of my ass. That might be more logically efficient.
Throughout your life, how well have you interacted with people, and how do you deal with conflictive situations?
DHodges

Re: Logical Efficiency

Post by DHodges »

BL4cKZeRo wrote:Throughout your life, how well have you interacted with people, and how do you deal with conflictive situations?
So, by "logical efficiency," you mean "plays well with others" ?
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

BL4cKZeRo wrote:
ChochemV2 wrote: What does rating yourself, or rating at all, accomplish?
it proves how well you can solve (a) question(s)/conflict... of course, it's only in my opininon ;).
So BL...o, would you give yourself a high or low rating knowing that your opinion is "only" yours?

-
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

BL4cKZeRo wrote:
Naturally our biggest flaw in the human society is without a doubt and obviously... "Communication". One of the biggest issues within the human race is the concept of "hidden messages" (hidden messages are possible to be seen/heard through actions/words). I think Most humans who act through emotion are obvious, they start fights/conflict, draw conclusions which result in anger and it inevitably start vicious cycles. Asking questions is the only answer, and I would say this choice is Logic.

Everyone has a "reason", in which the reason is chosen through logic or emotion.

If I need to I can stretch this theory (fact to me) out further and put it in perspective to compare and contrast with our world.

Finally, there are many names for logic, but to me logic is just taking facts and putting the puzzle together. This process can be theoretically applied to anything in our universe.

If you can understand my gibberish then I hope I don't have to be specific about a situation with conflict.

I understand and agree to your sentiments. It is easily shown daily, if you are put in a position that you must interact with everyday society.

Good topic.
Preppy Boy
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Elizabeth,

Money has nothing to do with philosophy, just as emotions have nothing to do with logic.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

BMcGilly07 wrote:Money has nothing to do with philosophy
Perhaps money has nothing to do with philosophy, but philosophy has plenty to do with Everything - and money is just one of those things.