Hopefully, I've come to the right place.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
PreppyBoy

Hopefully, I've come to the right place.

Post by PreppyBoy »

Hi.

I found this forum after researching the concepts behind the genius mentality using Google's search engine. I think I may be a genius based upon matching the criteria stated on websites. I've always found myself thinking different than the "norm" which is classed in society as a whole. However, I'm still uncertain so I'm not going to jump to conclusions.

Only time will tell, which is what it will take to self analyze myself far deeper than before. Just the thought of self-analyzing sounds intriguing to me. I've research my star sign (Aquarius) and, it was said genius was synonymous with that astrological sign.

You might say I'm at the crossroads on determining how much of my lively hood is based on Aquarius and how much is based on the genius mentality, which seems to have a good co-relation among the two.

What strikes me as amazing is this article (www .studygs. net/genius. htm) about those with the genius mentality. All along I thought everyone else followed the same concept but, it seems I was wrong in assuming what is standard procedure for me is not for others.

Nevertheless. I hope this forum gives me some clues on what exactly is going on in which others can't seem to answer. I'm pretty much the problem solver, and when I ask a question, the majority looks dumbfounded.

Thanks.
Katy

Re: Hopefully, I've come to the right place.

Post by Katy »

Well, this forum does encourage self analysis, but I'm afraid you won't find support for astrology, and the IQ/traditional definition doesn't apply at all.
-Katy
PreppyBoy

Re: Hopefully, I've come to the right place.

Post by PreppyBoy »

Katy wrote:Well, this forum does encourage self analysis, but I'm afraid you won't find support for astrology, and the IQ/traditional definition doesn't apply at all.
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't looking for support in astrology and, I wasn't taking IQ in account. I was giving mere examples in terms of similarities in which has bestowed upon me.

To be honest, if I am a genius it would only help me better understand why I think the way I do. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I've researched Astrology and, dabbled in Palmistry. Which, all offer some similarities to being very intelligent based on my results. So, the next step is to analyze my mind and hopefully find the answer.

What I'm looking for is someone that has drawn to the conclusion that they are a genius (although no genius would openly gloat about it) and, what signs help them determine that they are one.
Preppy Boy
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

The results of what specifically say that researching astrology and dabbling in palmistry show some similarities to being intelligent? I find it interesting that they phrase it like that - some similarities to intelligence. There are some similarities between a llama and a cat as well; they both have 4 legs, 2 eyes, tend to be covered with fur, etc. Anyway, I am kind of curious where you got that.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

What I'm looking for is someone that has drawn to the conclusion that they are a genius (although no genius would openly gloat about it) and, what signs help them determine that they are one.
Being able to understand ideas and concepts most people can't understand, and living and thinking very differently as a result. In my view, a "genius" is one who thinks much more deeply than the general populace and allows insight to influence his or her life on all levels. Although it is possible for a genius to live an "ordinary" life if they so desire, they generally do not so desire, because they have different values and priorities than the mainstream.
I live in a tub.
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure where you got "that they phrase it like that - some similarities to intelligence."

when I said;
I've researched Astrology and, dabbled in Palmistry. Which, all offer some similarities to being very intelligent based on my results. So, the next step is to analyze my mind and hopefully find the answer.
Maybe you misunderstood what I meant?

It's a combination of both that led me to assume I might be a genius. In addition to real world experiences.

From what I'm gathering, this forum is more towards theory based on the replies I'm getting. I'm not looking for theories. I'm looking for facts. Which is why I said,
I think I may be a genius based upon matching the criteria stated on websites. I've always found myself thinking different than the "norm" which is classed in society as a whole. However, I'm still uncertain so I'm not going to jump to conclusions.
So, what I'm looking for is proof on what makes a person a genius. What is it based upon? For as far as I've read everything falls within my criteria.

Self-analyzing is the next step. What are signs I should be looking for when I'm analyzing my brain, to prove if I'm indeed a genius or not.

Thanks.
Preppy Boy
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Unidian wrote:
Being able to understand ideas and concepts most people can't understand, and living and thinking very differently as a result. In my view, a "genius" is one who thinks much more deeply than the general populace and allows insight to influence his or her life on all levels. Although it is possible for a genius to live an "ordinary" life if they so desire, they generally do not so desire, because they have different values and priorities than the mainstream.
Thanks for your reply.

So, would from your quote, "a genius is one who thinks much more deeply than the general populace and allows insight to influence his or her life on all levels." would stem from looking at the world from all views, and having those you encounter think differently when they seek your knowledge?

Your opinion sounds more towards humanitarian traits. In which, I'm guilty for doing more to help my fellow man than keep them apart. Is this what you are suggesting?

What upon having the power to understand things that you've never been taught. Like electronics for instance?
Last edited by PreppyBoy on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Preppy Boy
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Here are some good clues:

Do you frequently find the attitudes and behavior of "normal" people ugly and offensive, no matter how much you try to rationalize it?

Have you ever been referred to as "weird" or "retarded" for being interested in thoughts, ideas, or things most other people find boring or pointless?

Can you easily understand logical thought processes and distinguish an invalid argument from a valid one?

Are you unemployed/underemployed, or do you plan to become so?

Answering yes to all or most of these question could mean you are a genius, or it could mean you're a nut. :)
I live in a tub.
Elizabeth Isabelle

PreppyBoy wrote:I'm not sure where you got "that they phrase it like that - some similarities to intelligence."

when I said;
I was using the term "like" to mean its definition "similar to" - which allowed the paraphrasing.
phrase it like that - some similarities to intelligence
some similarities to being very intelligent
Do you see the similarity close enough to be a paraphrased statement?

If you just want to purely self-analyze, there are books available. Otherwise, you could put up with us probing your thoughts and asking you questions (which is likely to be uncomfortable from time to time). The mind-probing question that I will ask you now is: why were you confused about how I got my statement from your statement?

I don't believe that I misunderstood you. I mentioned that point and asked because I had never seen anything linking such things as palmistry and astrology to very high intelligence before.
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Unidian wrote:Here are some good clues:

Do you frequently find the attitudes and behavior of "normal" people ugly and offensive, no matter how much you try to rationalize it?
Yes.

A perfect example is judging a person based on their appearance than their mind. This seems quite common among a good amount of people I've met which I don't understand the logic behind it.

I wouldn't call it offensive, but more a lack of giving others the benefit of doubt. Pretty much like when the Sept 11 bombing happened, and many attacked Middle Eastern people just because the bombers were from the Middle East. Just recently, I read on a forum how some are going to look twice when they see Asians due to the College Campus shooting.

I just don’t believe in the “One bad apple spoils the bunch” mentality.

I have been the exception to "their" (Their being those that feel that way) rule on how they feel towards other people that are not within the same race/culture as them selves however.
Have you ever been referred to as "weird" or "retarded" for being interested in thoughts, ideas, or things most other people find boring or pointless?
Yes. I tend to get more technical on things I have a love for. I can't share those thoughts with many because either those I'm chatting with can't understand or they become intimidated. And many are not willing to learn either. On the technical side, I always find a better kinship with those older than me (50+ years) and, a good amount within my age bracket (20 somethings) only concern is increasing their friend database on my space.

A good example is having ideas people don't understand in which they refuse to be open minded about. Yes. I've been coined "Crazy" numerous times, which they are just being polite in not calling me a weirdo. I know the truth. They are not fooling me coining the word crazy. They feel it’s less hurtful. They don’t realize I don’t wear my emotions on a sleeve and, I don’t worry about others looking at me differently. This me, take it or leave it.

One thing I've noticed. Whenever I set my mind to something, I can accomplish it with ease. But, once the goal is completed it's tossed to the side due to offering no challenge.

I told a person once, I need to learn something new everyday or, that's a day wasted. Of course I got the "Oh really?" response with a weird look on their face. Personally, I would think that is a good thing..... Wanting to learn as much as possible.
Can you easily understand logical thought processes and distinguish an invalid argument from a valid one?
Yes.

That's very easy. I've been called "The Voice Of Reason”, “Unbiased” and “Fair" throughout my life. I always wondered why would one listen to me when the topic off hand never has anything to do with me, or my interest. And the thing is if I jokingly say something more tongue in the cheek, they will believe me. I would imagine those that like to manipulate others would have a feast on such an opportunity. However, that’s just not my thing.
Are you unemployed/underemployed, or do you plan to become so?
I'm currently a student at the moment.

Employment is up and down with me. Pretty much like cash. When I need cash, I can find a job instantly (1 – 2 days). However, once I figure out how the operation works, I become bored and leave. Seeing that I never leave on bad terms, I can get my job back when I like. I had one employer that would keep busy at all times, so I wouldn’t request to leave early from being bored. LOL!!

Cash is just not my priority. I know it's needed for survival. But, I don’t see it as important as other people do. Splurging on myself is adding more food in my system, which increases my mental thought. Speaking of the two, I can burn food faster when in I’m in deep thought than walking about in street for hours.

My biggest issue is not finding a job. It’s finding something that will keep me thinking at all times. I just refuse to let my brain go dead on repetitive things I know already.

I actually work best under pressure and it increases the speed how I register things. I guess a good example would be a car with a stick shift. While some get confused on high-speed complexity, I thrive upon it. That's a huge thing for me. Thought. I'm always thinking at a rapid pace. Sometimes I find myself reading ahead of what I see, and knowing the answers before the person finishes asking the questions.
Answering yes to all or most of these question could mean you are a genius, or it could mean you're a nut. :)
Hey no fair! LOL!!

Those questions weren’t the least bit hard.

Thanks for the test teach! :)
Preppy Boy
Elizabeth Isabelle

PreppyBoy wrote:I told a person once, I need to learn something new everyday or, that's a day wasted. Of course I got the "Oh really?" response with a weird look on their face.
Sounds like me. When I was 20, one of my roommates asked me what I was reading. I responded "the dictionary."

He said to himself "I should know better than to ask Elizabeth any questions."
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:The mind-probing question that I will ask you now is: why were you confused about how I got my statement from your statement?
I wasn't confused at all. You method led more towards jumping to a conclusion, which was never profound. That's pretty common interacting with day-to-day people. This is why I said maybe you didn't understand what I said, instead of jumping the gun and drawing to a conclusion.

I now understand you were just paraphrasing which, is something I never do.
Preppy Boy
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
PreppyBoy wrote:I told a person once, I need to learn something new everyday or, that's a day wasted. Of course I got the "Oh really?" response with a weird look on their face.
Sounds like me. When I was 20, one of my roommates asked me what I was reading. I responded "the dictionary."

Nice.

I used to do that when I was 12.
Preppy Boy
Elizabeth Isabelle

You used to get chastised by your roommates for reading the dictionary when you were 12? Wow, I didn't have my first roommates until I was 17.

Hopscotch, anyone?

BTW, you never answered the question about specifically what you found linking an interest in palmistry & astrology to high intelligence.

Hehe, breaking this one in is going to be interesting...
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:You used to get chastised by your roommates for reading the dictionary when you were 12? Wow, I didn't have my first roommates until I was 17.
No. I was reading the dictionary when I was 12. I wasn't picked on for reading the dictionary. That's the second time you've jumped to conclusions.

BTW, you never answered the question about specifically what you found linking an interest in palmistry & astrology to high intelligence.
The intelligence in Astrology was based on me being an Air sign
(Aquarius). Aquarius, Libra, & Gemini are Air Signs.

I'll need to search my bookmarks and post the hyperlink in regards to palmistry. That will be Monday night.
Preppy Boy
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

Why do you need someone else to set "Genius criteria"? I, personally, fit almost all of Nat's criteria (and he knows which I don't fit into) but I feel no need to call myself a "genius" and would really rather prefer I wasn't called a genius by anyone else. The journey of understanding is reward itself without a title to go with it.

On a side note, if you want to learn something about yourself I'd say this is the place to do it. I've interacted with a fair number of the people here on various other forums and they have greatly impacted my life.
Elizabeth Isabelle

PreppyBoy wrote:
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:

Nice.

I used to do that when I was 12.
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:You used to get chastised by your roommates for reading the dictionary when you were 12?
The topic was getting odd responses from people for doing something that promotes learning. Your response was that you used to do that when you were 12.
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Hopscotch, anyone?
PreppyBoy wrote:That's the second time you've jumped to conclusions.
You hopped topics, so I intentionally hopped to a conclusion to illustrate that. I even pointed to that being what I was doing with the hopscotch comment. Genius, whether IQ or GF type, involves thinking. That is what I am trying to prompt in you.

Yes, I get what you meant, despite that your grammatical structure needs work (you think you may be some kind of genius because your star sign said so, and something-or-other to do with palmistry - but most geniuses don't actually note much veracity in those). Actually you jumped to a conclusion by thinking that maybe I misunderstood what you meant ("conclusion" here meaning the result or outcome of an act or process - and the process meaning supposing what I could have been thinking). What I was pointing at, in puzzle format, was your grammatical structure. There were quite a few more sentences that were not clearly phrased, but picking through all of them would be tedious. Communicating well is a part of both kinds of genius.

The purpose of initially explaining this to you in puzzle format was to begin to encourage abstract thinking from you. I am pulling out of that technique at this moment to explain the reasoning to you in order to expedite your learning. If I just left it at the puzzle level without explaining to you that this was a puzzle, it could have taken you years to catch on, if at all. Your thinking is a bit rigid right now, but we can work on that.

When you come back with the rest of your results, I intend to ask your interpretation of how astrology and palmistry may or may not be a valid way to find out information.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

The term "genius" is not important. In my view, those who understand this do not object to the use of the term as a matter of convenience. Why either embrace or shy away from an unimportant term? If it's germane to the discussion, I say use it. Otherwise, there's no need to. Conspicuously stating that one avoids the term strikes me as not only false modesty for the sake of appearances, but also as an admission that the term has importance and meaning for the person making the statement.
I live in a tub.
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Orginally Posted By Elizabeth Isabelle
You hopped topics, so I intentionally hopped to a conclusion to illustrate that. I even pointed to that being what I was doing with the hopscotch comment. Genius, whether IQ or GF type, involves thinking. That is what I am trying to prompt in you.

I think you forgetting one minor technicality. I don’t know you. I joined the board April 22, 2007. I have no idea what your personality is like. So, how would I know when you are picking fun from when you are not?

Makes matters worse, this is a public forum with no smileys. You’d be surprised how many comments go the wrong way on message boards without the aid of a smiley.
Yes, I get what you meant, despite that your grammatical structure needs work (you think you may be some kind of genius because your star sign said so, and something-or-other to do with palmistry - but most geniuses don't actually note much veracity in those).
No, that’s not correct. It is based on those two things and real world experience. And why are you so much against it? Reinforces what I said about many (not all) not giving things the benefit of doubt. I would've actually gave you the benefit of doubt if you gave me a valid reason. However, you didn't.
You just dismissed without a valid reason and, that's not good enough for me.

Actually you jumped to a conclusion by thinking that maybe I misunderstood what you meant ("conclusion" here meaning the result or outcome of an act or process - and the process meaning supposing what I could have been thinking). What I was pointing at, in puzzle format, was your grammatical structure. There were quite a few more sentences that were not clearly phrased, but picking through all of them would be tedious. Communicating well is a part of both kinds of genius.
Communicating verbally and typing are two different things. I’ve never said I was a writer. While I will agree that I’m not perfect (Never said I was) in my typing skills (Or perfect in any other manner), you are mistaken in to thinking having less than perfect-typing skills makes a person less of a genius. That’s just book knowledge. You are nit picking off a spelling, which is learned from a book. What I’m looking for are those that are gifted with the knowledge to create whatever their heart desires, execute it and, the books back their claims even though the creator never read one chapter. That sounds pretty in genius if you ask me.
The purpose of initially explaining this to you in puzzle format was to begin to encourage abstract thinking from you. I am pulling out of that technique at this moment to explain the reasoning to you in order to expedite your learning. If I just left it at the puzzle level without explaining to you that this was a puzzle, it could have taken you years to catch on, if at all. Your thinking is a bit rigid right now, but we can work on that.
Actually, if you ‘d continued with this I would’ve gone elsewhere for I would be wasting my time. Maybe you don’t understand. I’m looking for proof on what makes someone a genius. I would assume this would be a simple question that the members on this forum could answer. However, based on the replies I must be mistaken. Which is why I entitled the subject. “Hopefully, I’ve Come To The Right Place” which I was still uncertain my question would be answered. So I’ll stick by my word leaving the link I promised and look elsewhere for my answer.

http://astrology.indya.com/palmistry/hand.html

When you come back with the rest of your results, I intend to ask your interpretation of how astrology and palmistry may or may not be a valid way to find out information.
Why would I answer your questions when haven’t answered mine? Everyone else at least made the effort in trying Thank you guys! All you are doing is trying to string me along for your entertainment. And I’m bored. I’m just not into a 2, 3, 4 page on who got the edge over who and there is still no answer to my question.

And BTW, I know I made more typograhical errors. I was going to correct them but seeing that it urks you so much, I'm now fun. LOL!!

I'm now going to reply to ChochemV2 and be on my way.
Last edited by PreppyBoy on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Preppy Boy
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Thanks for your reply ChochemV2.
Why do you need someone else to set "Genius criteria"? I, personally, fit almost all of Nat's criteria (and he knows which I don't fit into) but I feel no need to call myself a "genius" and would really rather prefer I wasn't called a genius by anyone else. The journey of understanding is reward itself without a title to go with it.
If you look at the reply I wrote to Katy, it pretty much says it all. I’m merely looking on what characteristics were used to determine a person is a genius. Many people are idolized as geniuses but it seems so hard to determine what is a genius. I don’t see the logic behind that, and I need to find out what makes one a genius.

I’ll use horn physics as an example. In order for me to achieve 40-Hertz horn in terms of length, I’ll need to divide the speed of sound by the frequency. So, that would be 1130/40 = 28.25 feet, full space. Now I know what it takes to achieve a 40-Hertz horn in terms of length full space. Even if I never make a 40-Hertz Horn (Full space) I still know what it takes to make it possible. I’m looking for a formula that will determine what it takes to make a person be considered a genius. Even if I don’t fit the criteria, I would still like to know what it is the formula used to be considered a genius.
On a side note, if you want to learn something about yourself I'd say this is the place to do it. I've interacted with a fair number of the people here on various other forums and they have greatly impacted my life.
Thanks. When I find the answer I’m looking for I’ll come back.
Preppy Boy
PreppyBoy

Post by PreppyBoy »

Unidian wrote:The term "genius" is not important. In my view, those who understand this do not object to the use of the term as a matter of convenience. Why either embrace or shy away from an unimportant term? If it's germane to the discussion, I say use it. Otherwise, there's no need to. Conspicuously stating that one avoids the term strikes me as not only false modesty for the sake of appearances, but also as an admission that the term has importance and meaning for the person making the statement.
Very nicely written Unidian.

When your mind is set on finding an answer you refuse to quit.

I'm off on my quest. Hopefully, I'll have the oppertunity to exchange views when I find my answer.

Take Care!
Preppy Boy
Elizabeth Isabelle

PreppyBoy wrote:I would still like to know what it is the formula used to be considered a genius.
An IQ genius has the results of IQ tests to score who is or is not a genius, but other kinds of genius don't have a formula.

I was not stringing you along for amusement, but providing you with tools for the introspection you claimed to want. Perhaps someday you will find some of this useful.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

The "official" welcome message on this site gives a brief description of genius:
What is Genius?

The best way to answer such a question is to describe what genius is not. First and foremost, genius does not necessarily relate to talent. Being exceptionally good at some particular task does not automatically make one a genius. In light of this, people like Albert Einstein and Johan Sebastion Bach were not geniuses, but simply very talented people. Indeed, a genius need not be very talented in any area of life at all. Or if he does have some talent, it would necessarily find its most concentrated expression in the realm of wisdom. Genius is a function of one's relationship with Ultimate Reality and thus is a function of consciousness. The more one is conscious of the true nature of Reality, the more one is a genius. By this definition, people like Jesus, the Buddha, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Weininger, and Socrates were geniuses to greater or lesser degree.

Albert Eintein, although gifted with a prodigious intellect, had a very poor relationship with Reality. The highest he ever reached in this relationship was a sense of awe and wonder at the Universe, which means that his connection with Reality was largely emotional and subconscious. It was, at bottom, little more than an emotional reaction to his own limited understanding of Reality as a whole. Einstein failed to take the all-important conceptual leap into full understanding of Reality, and thus he failed to reach the level of genius. The chief characteristic of a genius is independence of mind. This independence is attained through his having a clear and conscious grasp of the nature of Reality, which results in his mind being unmoved by the myths and fashions of his culture. Indeed, everything he thinks, says and does is performed with authority, a quality that arises when one's knowledge is permanent, complete, and beyond doubt.
Also, the following web page will give an idea of the kind of genius discussed on this forum: Quotations on Genius

-
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Ugh...
I live in a tub.
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

The term "genius" is not important. In my view, those who understand this do not object to the use of the term as a matter of convenience. Why either embrace or shy away from an unimportant term? If it's germane to the discussion, I say use it. Otherwise, there's no need to. Conspicuously stating that one avoids the term strikes me as not only false modesty for the sake of appearances, but also as an admission that the term has importance and meaning for the person making the statement.
It's hardly false modesty, at the very least, because I don't consider myself a genius. I feel the term "genius" has no practical use because it's far too subjective a term especially when used around here. There are two definitions which I'd submit to: 1. Someone with an IQ over whatever limit society has set (140 I believe) and 2. Someone with exceptional ability in anything such as a Math Genius or Musical Genius.

I don't see why we really have to stray from those commonly accepted definitions and try to appropriate it for our own uses, it's just useless ego masturbation in my estimation. I'll continue to question the world without caring about meeting any criteria for enlightenment, genius, or any other appropriated title.