Shadows

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Jamesh

Shadows

Post by Jamesh »

David wrote:
When you analyze the matter closely, you can see that a thing derives its form from countless other factors which are external to it. For example, a shadow gains its form from factors like the angle of the sun, the shape of the object casting the shadow, the topography of the ground, etc.

Its form and existence is wholly derived from these other factors. So not only does the appearance of the shadow change from moment to moment, but it also doesn't possess any form of its own.
Philosophically, is there a need to subdivide the term things into physical things and things of appearance only?

I’ve been pondering this because I do not believe the above is totally accurate in relation to actual physical things. Although a shadow is a thing it is unlike most other “real” things.

The issue I have with the above is that physical things have causal power that things like shadows do not have.

While what David says is correct for the concept of a shadow it is not correct for physical things. A shadow isn’t a physical thing, it is just a name, rather the things upon which a shadow appears are things with new appearances as a result of blockages of levels of light that would normally be expected.

What David said cannot be true for physical things. If a things form and existence is wholly derived from “other factors”, then these other factors must hold causal power, they must possess causal form of their own. If a caused thing did not have this causal power, then the Totality becomes a magical God that causes things to appear, rather than the things themselves causing other things to appear.

I have stated before that no fundamental effects actually exist, that they are illusions of causal staticness. A shadow is an effect that does not lead to flow on causes. It has nothing of its own that can do so. Although a decrease in light and heat can be ascribed to the concept of a shadow, we know this to be false as these outcomes are held not in the shadow, but by what creates the shadow and what the shadow appears on.

One has to be reasonably logical, otherwise one falls into inane mental traps like Schrodingers Cat. Shadows are just less strong lighting than the lighting which surrounds it. An apple on a table in a dark room is still an apple, regardless of the degree of light shining on it, yet we do not refer to such an apple as being in shadow, we call the room dark.

If physical things have causal power then their current form impacts on other forms – there are actions and reactions by both parties, the internal and the external. To have an impact it must own some quality. That its current qualities all came from other things, does not mean that it has no causal power of its own, but rather that its form is always changing, including segregating and combining.

While it is true that at some past time (or configuration of the universe) all individual things were as non-existent as any form of thing, I do not find this to be relevant to discussions about present existence. When things did not exist or cease to exist as things with form then the content that makes up the thing still exists as part of the infinite causal forces (the void).
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

James wrote:
The issue I have with the above is that physical things have causal power that things like shadows do not have.
A shadow cools the ground it rests on, and cools whatever life-forms and air currents exist within its purview. So it does indeed have effects.

A shadow is a physical thing. It has a distinct physical form, it is produced from physical causes and it produces physical effects.

I have stated before that no fundamental effects actually exist, that they are illusions of causal staticness. A shadow is an effect that does not lead to flow on causes. It has nothing of its own that can do so. Although a decrease in light and heat can be ascribed to the concept of a shadow, we know this to be false as these outcomes are held not in the shadow, but by what creates the shadow and what the shadow appears on.
There is not a thing in this Universe which has causal power on its own.

For example, a star cannot produce any effects without the help of the properties of hydrogen and helium which comprise its core, or without the existence of gravity and nuclear energy, or without the occurrence of space and time. Like the shadow, it is powerless to act on its own.

In fact, fundamentally, the star doesn't really exist at all, just as the shadow doesn't really exist. What we call a "shadow" is really just a label we give to a particular interplay of other factors, such as an object blocking the light. A star is exactly the same. It too has no more substance than a shadow.

While what David says is correct for the concept of a shadow it is not correct for physical things. A shadow isn’t a physical thing, it is just a name, rather the things upon which a shadow appears are things with new appearances as a result of blockages of levels of light that would normally be expected.
Physical things are essentially no different. For example, a car is just a name we give to a collection of parts that are assembled in a particular manner. When the parts come together (i.e. when the causal circumstances are ripe), a car magically appears, just as a shadow magically appears when the causal circumstances are ripe.

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

David wrote:
In fact, fundamentally, the star doesn't really exist at all, just as the shadow doesn't really exist. What we call a "shadow" is really just a label we give to a particular interplay of other factors, such as an object blocking the light. A star is exactly the same. It too has no more substance than a shadow.
Fundamentally, shmundamentally! That is simply not true, logically or empirically. This is a primary notion around here I personally find totally false. The word “star” is not the phenomena “star,” which does exist (just like the word for it exists)--just not inherently (independently of other things).

You are saying the same thing I have objected to for a while, now. Not that “all things lack inherent existence” but that “things do not exist period.” What’s the story? What happened to the definition and substance of “thing” here?
Physical things are essentially no different. For example, a car is just a name we give to a collection of parts that are assembled in a particular manner. When the parts come together (i.e. when the causal circumstances are ripe), a car magically appears, just as a shadow magically appears when the causal circumstances are ripe.
Ripe causal circumstances and magic in the same sentence?

Magic is a term used by some to point to the category "unanticipated/unpredicted effects." Particularly in light of this:
There is not a thing in this Universe which has causal power on its own.

If there were, that would be magic, no?

There would also be the ripe causal circumstances for Yahweh.
Between Suicides
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

David Quinn wrote:A shadow is a physical thing. It has a distinct physical form, it is produced from physical causes and it produces physical effects.
Indeed, a shadow can have profound effects. Consider what happened during an eclipse, before these were understood, and were taken as a sign of something or other from the gods.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

And when Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, we have six more weeks of Winter.
clyde

Post by clyde »

Leyla;

I thought you might appreciate this quote:
Zen is the madman yelling "If you wanta tell me that the stars are not words, then stop calling them stars!"

-- Jack Kerouac
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

brokenhead wrote:And when Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, we have six more weeks of Winter.
I seem to recall hearing this before - again and again and again, actually...

Leyla,

I think when David said stars really don't exist he was just talking about non-inherency.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Dan, are you becoming worried about David's state of mind?

I've noticed you (partially) clarify comments of his a few times this year.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Leyla,
DQ: In fact, fundamentally, the star doesn't really exist at all, just as the shadow doesn't really exist. What we call a "shadow" is really just a label we give to a particular interplay of other factors, such as an object blocking the light. A star is exactly the same. It too has no more substance than a shadow.

Leyla: Fundamentally, shmundamentally! That is simply not true, logically or empirically. This is a primary notion around here I personally find totally false. The word “star” is not the phenomena “star,” which does exist (just like the word for it exists)--just not inherently (independently of other things).

You are saying the same thing I have objected to for a while, now. Not that “all things lack inherent existence” but that “things do not exist period.” What’s the story? What happened to the definition and substance of “thing” here?
If we take away everything that contributes to a star's existence - the hydrogen and helium atoms, gravity, nuclear energy, the self-sustaining feedback system that the exploding nuclear energy and gravity create, time, space, etc - there would be nothing left. There is no "star" over and above the things which contribute to its existence.

So in a very real sense, the star doesn't really exist at all. And for the same reason, neither does anything else.

-

[corrected grammar - DQ
Last edited by David Quinn on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Jamesh wrote:Dan, are you becoming worried about David's state of mind?

I've noticed you (partially) clarify comments of his a few times this year.
If I'm worried about anyone's state of mind it's Leyla's, not David's.
keenobserver

Post by keenobserver »

Whether the star "really exists" or not depends on how you define real existence.
If you define real existence as remaining the same for some minimum duration of time, more than t=0 seconds, then a constantly changing, evolving world would be starless and entirely dark at night, save for when the moon was visible.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

David Quinn wrote:If we take away everything that contributes to a star's existence ... there would be nothing left. There is no "star" over and above the things which contribute to its existence.

So in a very real sense, the star doesn't really exist at all.
Shortened, if we take away everything that contributes to a thing's existence, it doesn't exist.

Mathematically:

existence - (existence) = 0

Although I can agree with your conclusion of non-existence, that argument does not point very well for me (and it's just a matter of us phrasing it differently, but I think the phrasing is an important pointer).

How I would put it is that the whole of something is made up of smaller parts - say, molecules. Molecules are made up of atoms, which are made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and then we get to a smaller level with quarks, etc. - and all of these really small parts have a whole lot of space in between them. As such, we could say that the chair doesn't really exist, actually it is molecules - which don't really exist because really molecules are atoms, which don't really exist, etc. until it's all "gone." But it isn't really gone either, because it is all part of the Infinite - which neither exists nor doesn't exist.

Mine's more verbose, but I think it's clearer.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Elizabeth wrote:
Shortened, if we take away everything that contributes to a thing's existence, it doesn't exist.
Exactly!

David wrote:
If we take away everything that contributes to a star's existence ... there would be nothing left. There is no "star" over and above the things which contribute to its existence.

Rubbish, David. It exists as long as its causes do.

Dan wrote:
If I'm worried about anyone's state of mind it's Leyla's, not David's.
Oh, stop it--before I give you a more undesirable piece of it.

I can't believe you are persisting with such nonsense!
Between Suicides
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

keenobserver wrote:
Whether the star "really exists" or not depends on how you define real existence.
That's right. The mind defines what does and doesn't exist. Existence is a matter of definition.

If you define real existence as remaining the same for some minimum duration of time, more than t=0 seconds, then a constantly changing, evolving world would be starless and entirely dark at night, save for when the moon was visible.
I think you're trying to be too clever here and it is obscuring the point you want to make, if any.

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

David wrote:
That's right. The mind defines what does and doesn't exist. Existence is a matter of definition.
So, does this mean the mind has causal power on its own, then?
Between Suicides
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Leyla,
DQ: If we take away everything that contributes to a star's existence ... there would be nothing left. There is no "star" over and above the things which contribute to its existence.

Leyla: Rubbish, David. It exists as long as its causes do.
For practical purposes, we say that it does. But it doesn't really.

Consider a car, for example. When all of the pieces are scattered on the floor, there is no car. Then, when the pieces are slowly fitted together, there eventually comes a point when the car suddenly appears, as if by magic. Before then, there was no car. But now there is a car, even though nothing of material substance was added to the process.

So where does a loose collection of parts end and a car begins? Where is the boundary? That is something that our minds arbitrarily determine. That is where the car finds its existence, in our own minds. Outside of that, it has no existence.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Leyla,
So, does this mean the mind has causal power on its own, then?
Not at all. How the mind goes about determining existence is itself determined by countless causal factors. For example, one person might think that something isn't a car if it has no engine, while for another person the criteria is that it must have wheels. These determinations are, in turn, determined by the person's past history, his perspective on things, his genetics, his values, his aims, etc. Nothing ever has causal power on its own, not even the mind.

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

David:
Consider a car, for example. When all of the pieces are scattered on the floor, there is no car. Then, when the pieces are slowly fitted together [a further cause of “car”], there eventually comes a point when the car suddenly appears, as if by magic [well, no, even if you can‘t explain mechanics--but I‘d wager that anyone who can make a car out of “random” parts, can explain it]. Before then, there was no car. But now there is a car, even though nothing of material substance was added to the process.
So, you are implying that if nothing of “material substance” (solid objects) are added to a combination of other solid objects, that something is “suddenly” made out of it is magic?
So where does a loose collection of parts end and a car begins? Where is the boundary?
It’s a collective boundary of a (sub-)totality of parts.
That is something that our minds arbitrarily determine.
I disagree. Refer above.
That is where the car finds its existence, in our own minds.
Everything finds its existence in our own minds, including the scattered pieces on the floor from which a car was constructed.
Outside of that, it has no existence.
Sure.
Between Suicides
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Leyla wrote:
So, you are implying that if nothing of “material substance” (solid objects) are added to a combination of other solid objects, that something is “suddenly” made out of it is magic?
That is what the very concept of existence implies - magic. A thing coming into existence and disappearing again - that is a description of a magical process.

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

David:
L: So, does this mean the mind has causal power on its own, then?

D: Not at all. How the mind goes about determining existence is itself determined by countless causal factors. For example, one person might think that something isn't a car if it has no engine, while for another person the criteria is that it must have wheels. These determinations are, in turn, determined by the person's past history, his perspective on things, his genetics, his values, his aims, etc. Nothing ever has causal power on its own, not even the mind.
Right, so I’m still trying to figure out how you reconcile the above with this:
Given the first quote above, on what grounds can you say that anything fundamentally has no existence at all when its very existence or non-existence is determined by countless causal factors?
Between Suicides
Elizabeth Isabelle

David Quinn wrote:So where does a loose collection of parts end and a car begins? Where is the boundary?
I would say that is a flexible boundary, primarily dependent on opinion, and circumstances would be contributing factors to that opinion. If one were to purchase a car, they would have higher standards between what was a car and what was a heap of junk. For example, some people argued that a brand new Yugo was not a car, yet others bought those and drove them around. To the other end, one person who would not have considered a new Yugo a car and bought something else, then had a major accident, they would still call the remains their car - but had they seen it like that before they bought it, they would have called it a heap of junk.

David, I'm not absolutely positive that you and I are looking at this existence thing exactly the same. I see your explanation as more along the lines of inherent existence (as Dan suggested) whereas mine seems more transcendental. Do you see a significant difference between our views of existence?
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

David Quinn wrote:Leyla wrote:
That is what the very concept of existence implies - magic. A thing coming into existence and disappearing again - that is a description of a magical process.

-
Wow, that's a novel idea--seriously. I never thought of existence that way, myself. On face value, it explains quantum mechanics rather well!

I shall give it some thought.
Between Suicides
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Leyla,
Given the first quote above, on what grounds can you say that anything fundamentally has no existence at all when its very existence or non-existence is determined by countless causal factors?
It's a matter of perspective. A thing can appear to exist from one perspective, and not exist from another perspective.

From one perspective, things come into existence by way of cause and effect, while from another perspective, nothing ever comes into existence at all.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Elizabeth,
David, I'm not absolutely positive that you and I are looking at this existence thing exactly the same. I see your explanation as more along the lines of inherent existence (as Dan suggested) whereas mine seems more transcendental. Do you see a significant difference between our views of existence?
I'm not sure what you mean by "transcendental".

Realizing that all boundaries are mentally projected onto the world, thus bringing "things" into existence, can be said to be a form of transcendence. One is transcending the illusion that things really exist.

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

David,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/transcendental
tran·scen·den·tal /ˌtrænsɛnˈdɛntl, -sən-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[tran-sen-den-tl, -suhn-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. transcendent, surpassing, or superior.
2. being beyond ordinary or common experience, thought, or belief; supernatural.
3. abstract or metaphysical.
4. idealistic, lofty, or extravagant.
5. Philosophy.
a. beyond the contingent and accidental in human experience, but not beyond all human knowledge. Compare transcendent (def. 4b).
b. pertaining to certain theories, etc., explaining what is objective as the contribution of the mind.
c. Kantianism. of, pertaining to, based upon, or concerned with a priori elements in experience, which condition human knowledge. Compare transcendent (def. 4b).
–noun
6. Mathematics. transcendental number.
7. transcendentals, Scholasticism. categories that have universal application, as being, one, true, good.
I was pretty much going with a combination of definitions 2, 3, 5 (a) and 5 (b).

Okay, I guess we are basically saying the same thing. Thank you for clarifying.