Dealing with emotions

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kelly Jones

Dealing with emotions

Post by Kelly Jones »

Here are a few interesting articles from Genius News:

The Stress of Being a Thinker

The Crippling Effects of Thought

Nietzsche's Breakdown

Weininger's Suicide

Expunging the Emotions

Sanity

David and Kevin's "Hour of Judgment" radio programs also basically end with this kind of warning. Working through the deep lies of the psyche, internal to oneself, is far more challenging and a far greater stimulant to spiritual progress, than disgust at the world.

ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

I deal with emotions by thinking positively, and saying "hey self, you are o-kay in my book!" Yeah, that sounds totally lame, but it works. Ask any psychologist. They'll tell you. Unless you're a Scientologist and don't believe in psychologists. In that case you'd have to ask the fella doing your "thetan test", or whatever nonsense you Scientogologist types do. If you do ask your "thetan tester" (or whatever) and they tell you differently then me then they're damned liars. Scientologists... I tell you. They'll be the first to the wall when the revolution comes.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ok, so you actually have a soul. I thought you did. If I had one I'd contribute to the debate at CA but I'm frankly too busy learning Flash MX. Plus, David and Kevin always fuck it up over there.

It's quite funny to watch.
ExpectantlyIronic

If I had one I'd contribute to the debate at CA but I'm frankly too busy learning Flash MX.
The "fashionoglers" debate at CA is more of an endurance trial then anything. I can't blame anyone who finds their time better suited elsewhere. :)
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

I laughed when David did his po-mo checklist (page 2, responding to Rairun)... otherwise, I agree, there's not much substance in that thread (ie. nothing valuable that isn't already expressed here a hundred times over).
ExpectantlyIronic

nothing valuable that isn't already expressed here a hundred times over
Oh really? I'm not going to prop up my own arguments, but I do think MKULTRA's "ACE argument" argument was a fascinating, original, and seemingly indisputable case for a general sort of skepticism.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

I got to page 5. Where was this argument?
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

What are you learning with Flash, Dan? Why?

I once made the first 3 scenes in a story I wrote in Flash, like a kind of moving comic book. Unfortunately, Flash is not a good animating program and it does not have the ability to create templates. Making textures in Photoshop or Fireworks and importing them into Flash helps a lot, but the time needed to recreate every blade of grass is annoying. Also, the file sizes for what I was doing were too large for general web delivery. I gave up after about 40 hours of work. Learned a lot though.
reedsch

Post by reedsch »

Anybody read "The Eagle's Gift" the last in the series of Carlos Castaneda's books about Don Juan? Therein was the Sorcerer's Explanation, which was that the Eagle i.e. the creator's food was the emotions and consciousness of human beings. So we are here to emote, the energy fuels the bigger organism kind of like the Matrix. But the Eagle would allow person's sufficiently advanced to keep their consciousness, hence the "gift" in the title. I loved the Castaneda books. I was fortunate at one point to spend a lot of time in Hopi-land.
DHodges

God: Asshole, or Cunt?

Post by DHodges »

reedsch wrote:Therein was the Sorcerer's Explanation, which was that the Eagle i.e. the creator's food was the emotions and consciousness of human beings.
There was a similar idea in The Preacher comic book series (or graphic novel, if you prefer). God created people to feed off of their love (of him).

That was why God had to be killed. He was a total asshole.