Women talk more than men: official

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Carl wrote:
God, it's fun to slam the feminine. Ninety-nine threads on the subject and counting. Ho-hum. I get it. I saw another dragonfly today, one as beautiful as all the rest.
Was that while you were mowing the lawn like a good husband pleasing his wife?

If a person can't see the importance of the male/female issue and the way it impacts on all aspects of life, including the philosophic life, then quite frankly, I don't see any hope for them.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Elizabeth wrote:
DQ: Similarly, when women don't talk about men or think about clothes, jewelry, children, marriage, etc. Similarly, when women engage in intellectual discourse, and when they don't ....

EI: But that is only one of the eight lanes. Sexuality can stay in its own lane, and not interfere with the flow of traffic in the intellectual discourse lane.

The trouble is, sexuality pervades all eight lanes in women, so your analogy doesn't really work. A woman is constantly in a sexual relationship with things, no matter what she is doing. Sexuality underpins the very definition of what a woman is.

That is why, for example, many women treat ideas like they do, say, lovely new dresses and love to go around parading in them at internet forums in the hope of engaging in intimate intercourse with intelligent men.

If that really is how it works, and that really is a difference between men and women, then now I understand how it is that men must give up relationships with women to become wise. I didn't really comprehend how handicapped men were in that area.

That does answer my question about how I can think rationally and still have room for love, yet the guys here think it's an either/or situation.
Since love is irrational by its very nature (due to the fact that it springs from the false belief that things inherently exist and essentially involves becoming attached to a mirage), it is impossible to be fully rational while being in love - regardless of whether you are a man or a woman. You will always be setting up mental blocks and deflecting the logical spotlight away from the possibility of exposing the falsity of your love.

Love is like a gravitational attractor in the mind which greatly distorts everything around it, making it impossible to see things clearly. Indeed, enlightenment/sanity is nothing other than the absence of all gravitational attractors in the mind.

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

David wrote:
I don't know about that. I reckon the author is just an average pussy-hungry bloke content to go along with whatever women say.
Well, my second thought over the article was that he may have been quite proud to be really good at “rumpy-pumpy.” Reads more like a euphemism than anything else. The third thought was that there might be a remote chance that it had most of its substance edited out--but I seriously doubt that.
The phenomena of putting the boot into men is too widespread and too entrenched in modern culture to be anything other than a product of the feminized times we live in.

The psychology underlying it all is quite interesting. The constant hoeing into men by society is actually misogynistic in nature because it rests on the assumption that men are strong enough and tough enough to take it (which, of course, they are). By contrast, the howls of protest which invariably erupt the moment anyone lays even a finger on women implies that women are fragile and need constant protection.
OK. Most men are quite happy to take the boot (being immune to any real harm from it), such as being accused of only being good at rumpy-pumpy, so long as it keeps the women fragile--and this dynamic between the sexes we call a feminised society.
This is actually a continuation of the traditional patriarchal dynamic which views women as prized cattle that have to be idealized, molly-coddled and protected. And yet because feminists, and women generally, are so dull-witted, they actually believe they helping the cause of feminism with this constant hoeing into men, and they also fondly believe that now, more than ever, they are living in a culture which deems men and women to be equal.
So, the traditional patriarchal dynamic is the misogynistic yet feminised society. Feminised because it, like women, has no more substance than the ideals of men (I mean, hell, most of the time all we have to offer is a matter of reactionist self-defence--much like the war on terror--oh! what an empty ideal that one is; no wonder it goes down like an orgasm) and misogynistic because it purports protect but in fact utterly defeats women.

Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

David Quinn wrote:
Love is like a gravitational attractor in the mind which greatly distorts everything around it, making it impossible to see things clearly. Indeed, enlightenment/sanity is nothing other than the absence of all gravitational attractors in the mind.
Love is a lot like death, the great re-unification and equalizer. Since differentiating itself forms consciousness, love would be the end of it.

Where Adam always stands at the dawn of thought, a silhouette against the bold red sun, Eve is more like the twilight after sunset, the eve-ning of consciousness. The dreamy scene of a very long, slow evening into nothingness.

"And there is evening and there is morning - another day"

Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

David Quinn wrote:Sexuality underpins the very definition of what a woman is.

That is why, for example, many women treat ideas like they do, say, lovely new dresses and love to go around parading in them at internet forums in the hope of engaging in intimate intercourse with intelligent men.
You make it sound like women don't take this stuff seriously, but hardly anything is more serious to them than bonding with people. Ideas do have value to them, not as tokens of truth but as tokens of emotional bonding. Still very valuable to them, though.
DHodges

Feelings, nothing more than feelings...

Post by DHodges »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:But that is only one of the eight lanes. Sexuality can stay in its own lane, and not interfere with the flow of traffic in the intellectual discourse lane.
Brizendine elaborated: "Women have an eight-lane superhighway for processing emotion, while men have a small country road."
Processing emotion is not intellectual discourse.

But it also seems true that men do better with focusing on a single thing, while women prefer multi-tasking. [As an aside, I seem to recall reading somewhere that people are generally not as good at multi-tasking as they think they are. ]

It also explains and how I have had times of my body having an emotional meltdown but inside my mind was merely mildly disgusted with the stupid, uncontollable waterworks and thinking rationally. Any females out there - have you also had experiences where you found yourself crying and wondering who this sniveling mess was that you were stuck inside? That the tears had nothing to do with "you" but it was more like a leak in the plumbing system?
I know from experience that I sometimes have emotions that I am not aware of. That is, other people can see it on my face, but I'm not aware of it. The emotions are there, but not really connected to me; more like something my body is doing. This may be the "small country road" Brizendine mentions. To talk about emotions I am having, I have to really stop and think about it, because really I'm barely aware of them.

Women, it seems, generally really feel their emotions. They can't understand how it's possible to be disconnected from them. I guess it's like having a higher pain threshold or something.

This has leads to misunderstanding in relationships - the woman thinks I need to talk about things, that I am holding back - while actually the emotions are inconsequential to me, and it's quite a bit of work to connect with them, in order to express them verbally.

I can see how, from a female point of view, that might seem bizarre or even some sort of handicap.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Carl wrote:
God, it's fun to slam the feminine. Ninety-nine threads on the subject and counting. Ho-hum. I get it. I saw another dragonfly today, one as beautiful as all the rest.
David responded:

If a person can't see the importance of the male/female issue and the way it impacts on all aspects of life, including the philosophic life, then quite frankly, I don't see any hope for them.
I just have to say there's a difference between seeing the relevance of femininity's impact on the world, and being attached to ranting about it. I don't think Carl made a bad point. Especially seeing as how women can't ever become men....it's pretty much a useless cause. I suppose one "good" thing that comes out of it, is men understanding the opposite sex more. Yet.. I don't think it's good for the understanding to come from teachers who hold a grudge. Then the understanding is flawed, and the students never really mature into freely thinking individuals on the issue. They build up an unconscious anger against femininity.

In my honest opinion, it's better to look at all women as human beings first, with unclouded vision. And then not fall for what they like to tell themselves, like how they are pure and innocent and compassionate creatures. At least in my personal experience, this has been the best route to take. Seeing who they really are without the negativity.

No one is perfect.
- Scott
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Being able to process emotions well isn't that much more impressive than being able to think about sex once per minute. Unless, of course, processing emotions makes it easier to get rid of emotions altogether. I doubt that very much, however. The mechanism is there because the emotions are there and are so difficult to get rid of.

As Jeanne-Marie Sartre might say, "You know, talking about Redness is all well and everything, but I just really like the colour red."
Pye

Post by Pye »

Everything is relational.
everything.

You don't have to rush "bonding" to things anymore than you have to rush to distinguish yourself from them in false autonomy. Both poses are part of the same thing - relational.

Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Last edited by Steven Coyle on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: Feelings, nothing more than feelings...

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

DHodges wrote:
I know from experience that I sometimes have emotions that I am not aware of. That is, other people can see it on my face, but I'm not aware of it. The emotions are there, but not really connected to me; more like something my body is doing. This may be the "small country road" Brizendine mentions. To talk about emotions I am having, I have to really stop and think about it, because really I'm barely aware of them.

Women, it seems, generally really feel their emotions. They can't understand how it's possible to be disconnected from them. I guess it's like having a higher pain threshold or something.

This has leads to misunderstanding in relationships - the woman thinks I need to talk about things, that I am holding back - while actually the emotions are inconsequential to me, and it's quite a bit of work to connect with them, in order to express them verbally.
Okay David, so you and I get feelings the same way - does that mean my feelings are more like a guy's, that yours are more like a female, or that this is not gender-specific but type specific (like hair color or eye color), or that basically that's how people experience feelings?

Of course my feelings are not always disconnected from me - sometimes they come from the inside. Also not every feeling is expressed. (or at least is not obvious), and sometimes putting on a happier face does work its way inside, and I am able to feel less "down."

And if it is an "emotion" that is not really felt - talking aobut it does not process it. If someone thinks I look upset but I don't feel upset, but the press me about it, I may get upset - but that upsettedness is from their pressing me - not from some other thing (even if whatever else had predisposed me to upsettedness and I hadd not noticed). Their contribution to getting me upset then sayding "see? I knew that you were upset" is just maddening on its own.

If a "feeling" isn't felt, it isn't really a feeling, is it? It's just an expression that crossed our faces (or body language... whatever), so to me, it would be like lying to "get in touch with feelings" that were not really there. An honest answer would be "I don't know - maybe I was annoyed for a second, but it went by so fast I didn't really notice."

That is a far cry from someone storming into the room, slamming the door, and when asked if he is okay, responding "I'm fucking fine - leave me the fuck alone!" Obviously the right answer to that one is to remain quiet, but if some kind of clue is not given within about 12 hours, that can be rather frustrating. An in depth analysis isn't necessary, but an indication if she had forgotten to do something she was supposed to do, or if the car is acting up, fight with a friend, work troubles (then specify if it's the level of stress where he thinks he may lose his job), or whatever general topic, followed by a "but I don't want to talk about it right now" would suffice.
DHodges

Re: Feelings, nothing more than feelings...

Post by DHodges »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Okay David, so you and I get feelings the same way - does that mean my feelings are more like a guy's, that yours are more like a female, or that this is not gender-specific but type specific (like hair color or eye color), or that basically that's how people experience feelings?
I don't know.
Elizabeth Isabelle

David Quinn wrote:Since love is irrational by its very nature (due to the fact that it springs from the false belief that things inherently exist and essentially involves becoming attached to a mirage), it is impossible to be fully rational while being in love - regardless of whether you are a man or a woman. You will always be setting up mental blocks and deflecting the logical spotlight away from the possibility of exposing the falsity of your love.

Love itself is fluidic, to all the different meanings and types of love. Loving and being in love are not the same. If one does not become attached to being in love (granted that intoxication may be addictive to some), then one can embrace all the kinds of love there are, including loving enough to let go when it is appropriate to do so.

Furthermore, understanding another is a key to love - although perhaps it is not a key to being in love. All people are lovable if you understand them well enough, but that does not mean that one would necessarily want close contact with all those they love. Loving from a distance is another type of love. Loving with rational eyes helps one see what is the appropriate kind of love to have for each person at each moment, and non-attachment allows one to love another differently as the occasion warrants.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I'm not sure that I can find any meaning in your conception of love. What exactly do you mean by love? What is its distinguishing characteristic?

All people are lovable if you understand them well enough, but that does not mean that one would necessarily want close contact with all those they love. Loving from a distance is another type of love.
If being repulsed by a person is "another form of love", then what behaviour or attitude isn't a form of love?

Furthermore, understanding another is a key to love
Does this involve understanding what causes a person to behave like he does, thus viewing him as an innocent child, as it were, who had no real choice but to follow his lot in life?

-
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Elizabeth,

I get the impression you like to talk as a way of sorting out your ideas, rather than sorting them out first and then talking.
- Scott
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

David Quinn wrote:Carl wrote:

-
Question is, when is enough enough? The near constant emphasis on gender issues reduces this forum to caricature. Is there another spiritual tradition that does so? Is yours the only one that makes sense? Is is logical to do so? Is it reasonable and rational? And why is not the focus more on one's inner aspects of this dreaded feminine? Why is it always a constant harping on women themselves? I am beginning to suspect that it has more to do with little boys who cannot grow up than about the percieved weakness of the opposite sex. Little boys with issues, going over and over the same ground without getting past the obstacle on the path.
Good Citizen Carl
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Carl G wrote:And why is not the focus more on one's inner aspects of this dreaded feminine? Why is it always a constant harping on women themselves?
There is a lot of discussion about consciousness and unconsciousness. But it doesn't hurt to be regularly reminded what is meant by unconsciousness - and for that women are a very good example.

Otherwise "unconscious" becomes an abstract, or merely academic term with no meaning in the real world and no power to stimulate change.

Ordinary religious teachings have become largely useless because their terms have no real meaning in everyday reality. They have become a fantasy world for those who wish to escape from reality.

For example, Buddhists think that "hell" and "the animals realms" are places that you may go after you die, instead of realities of human existence here and now.
Elizabeth Isabelle

sschaula wrote:Elizabeth,

I get the impression you like to talk as a way of sorting out your ideas, rather than sorting them out first and then talking.
Scott,

I get the impression you only “came up with that idea” as a reflection of one of David’s earlier posts. Unless you can support your assertation by citing a reference and explaining your position, I will consider that you are just parroting something an admin said, possibly as some unconscious act of brown-nosing.

BTW Scott – newsflash: David is not always right.

David Quinn wrote:I'm not sure that I can find any meaning in your conception of love. What exactly do you mean by love? What is its distinguishing characteristic?
In defining this term, I will be forced to use some imprecise phrasing that may seem contradictory, but in fact will not contradict but indicate the parameters of love. In defining any term, the precise meaning can not be expressed with other terms, or the term itself would be redundant.

In its broadest, most watered down sense, love is a purely positive regard combined with a surge of adrenaline. Purity in this sense means that the aspect of regard that is combined with adrenaline is only of a positive nature. Other feelings may exist, but the only associated condition with the adrenalin must be positive regard. Adrenaline with a negative regard would be hatred, and adrenaline with either a neutral or ambivalent regard would be fear.

All people are lovable if you understand them well enough, but that does not mean that one would necessarily want close contact with all those they love. Loving from a distance is another type of love.
If being repulsed by a person is "another form of love", then what behaviour or attitude isn't a form of love?
Loving from a distance is not the same as being repulsed by the person. It is an acknowledgement of the illusion, in the conditions of either knowing that there are some characteristics that one would not find lovable, but from a distance those characteristics are not observable or insufficiently observable to be bothersome, or of knowing that one has insufficient knowledge of the other person to judge whether she would have the same feelings if she knew him better – and being sated with the quantity of love she feels from a distance.

The only time repulsion and love would mix would be in the case of being repulsed by the idea of hurting the other person. If knowing that a close contact with the other person would be either painful or harmful to the other person, the actual repulsion would be against causing pain to the one she loved. An expression of that repulsion to hurting a loved one would be distance. This is often regarded as the truest form of love – being “loving enough to let go” – as it is non-selfish love. It can be the desire for the other person to be at his best even if it means she can not be with him, or it can be a rational acknowledgement that somehow the love is poisonous to the two of them together, or the love (although pleasurable) is not in her best interest. An example would be if she were in pursuit of a goal, but if she were incapable of compartmentalizing her love so she could function with proper dedication to her goal while being in love, she may have to choose between her goal and her love. That is a deficiency in her, as someone skilled enough could put “being in love” away for enough hours per day that it would not be a distracting condition. Rationality involves recognizing one’s limits – and not everyone has enough emotional discipline to put emotions aside long enough to deal with other matters. In that case, the repulsion would be directed at the self, not the other.

Furthermore, understanding another is a key to love
Does this involve understanding what causes a person to behave like he does, thus viewing him as an innocent child, as it were, who had no real choice but to follow his lot in life?
Yes David, it most certainly does. And forgiveness is tremendously easy for one who loves – even one who loves rationally enough to see the flaws.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Kevin wrote:
Carl G: And why is not the focus more on one's inner aspects of this dreaded feminine? Why is it always a constant harping on women themselves?

Kevin: There is a lot of discussion about consciousness and unconsciousness. But it doesn't hurt to be regularly reminded what is meant by unconsciousness - and for that women are a very good example.
When you look at the sum total of what occurs on this forum, the subject of woman/femininity is hardly discussed at all - perhaps only 10 or 20% of the time. This isn't very much, given the importance of the subject.

If a famine were to spread throughout America and Australia killing millions of people, there is a fair chance that most of the threads on the forum would be intensely focused on that. We would be analyzing its causes and trying to work out ways to resolve it - both here on the forum and in our personal lives. But when it comes to the famine of feminine unconsciousness currently pervading our society, which is even more dangerous and lethal from a spiritual point of view, hardly anyone wants to know. But then, I suppose that is one of the symptoms of the famine.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Elizabeth wrote:
DQ: I'm not sure that I can find any meaning in your conception of love. What exactly do you mean by love? What is its distinguishing characteristic?

E: In defining this term, I will be forced to use some imprecise phrasing that may seem contradictory, but in fact will not contradict but indicate the parameters of love. In defining any term, the precise meaning can not be expressed with other terms, or the term itself would be redundant.

In its broadest, most watered down sense, love is a purely positive regard combined with a surge of adrenaline. Purity in this sense means that the aspect of regard that is combined with adrenaline is only of a positive nature. Other feelings may exist, but the only associated condition with the adrenalin must be positive regard. Adrenaline with a negative regard would be hatred, and adrenaline with either a neutral or ambivalent regard would be fear.

What is the purpose of triggering these surges of adrenalin? Apart from being a chemical which aids action in threatening situations, adrenalin is a pleasure-causing hormone. Is your valuing of love is, in effect, a love of hedonistic pleasure?

Also, do you strive to love all things in the Universe, without exception? Or do you confine your loving attitude towards human beings only?

E: All people are lovable if you understand them well enough, but that does not mean that one would necessarily want close contact with all those they love. Loving from a distance is another type of love.

DQ: If being repulsed by a person is "another form of love", then what behaviour or attitude isn't a form of love?

E: Loving from a distance is not the same as being repulsed by the person. It is an acknowledgement of the illusion, in the conditions of either knowing that there are some characteristics that one would not find lovable, but from a distance those characteristics are not observable or insufficiently observable to be bothersome, or of knowing that one has insufficient knowledge of the other person to judge whether she would have the same feelings if she knew him better – and being sated with the quantity of love she feels from a distance.

So in other words, you only love those things which happen to please you ....?

E: Furthermore, understanding another is a key to love

DQ: Does this involve understanding what causes a person to behave like he does, thus viewing him as an innocent child, as it were, who had no real choice but to follow his lot in life?

E: Yes David, it most certainly does. And forgiveness is tremendously easy for one who loves – even one who loves rationally enough to see the flaws.

Are you saying that you have to mentally turn people into little babies before you can love them? Isn't this a case of engaging in mental trickery in order to support the illusion that you are loving all people spiritually?

-
ExpectantlyIronic

re

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

But when it comes to the famine of feminine unconsciousness currently pervading our society, which is even more dangerous and lethal from a spiritual point of view, hardly anyone wants to know.
Women probably talk more then men due to the fact that they have a wider corpus callosum. This means that the two halves of their brains probably communicate faster, allowing for easier speech, intuition, and emotional expression. It's been observed that people without a corpus callosum demonstrate poor social judgment, can't express their emotions, have difficulties interpreting non-literal speech, and have an impaired sense of humor.

From the available data, I see no reason to think that women experience emotion any differently then men. They're just better at expressing it, and detecting it in others. So if we're going to eliminate our "feminine unconscious" we better act stupidly in social situations, stop expressing emotions, and lose our sense of humor. That actually sounds incredibly lame to me. How are such things a famine exactly?
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Elizabeth,
BTW Scott – newsflash: David is not always right.
What does David have to do with my comment? It was directed at YOU.
- Scott
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: re

ExpectantlyIronic wrote: Women probably talk more then men due to the fact that they have a wider corpus callosum. This means that the two halves of their brains probably communicate faster, allowing for easier speech, intuition, and emotional expression.
Is that a fact? There are just as many studies (eg Bishop and Wahlsten, 1997) that demonstrate the corpus is wider in males. Anyway, the whole hemisphere simplification of the brain is overrated.
EI wrote:It's been observed that people without a corpus callosum demonstrate poor social judgment, can't express their emotions, have difficulties interpreting non-literal speech, and have an impaired sense of humor.
Sounds more like a common case of brain damage, or autism.

ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

Is that a fact?
You should have been able to tell that it's an unquestionable fact by the way I used the term "probably" multiple times in my above post. :)
There are just as many studies (eg Bishop and Wahlsten, 1997) that demonstrate the corpus is wider in males.
You're right. Although, the splenial portion of the corpus callosum is still believed to be larger in females. In reality, the cognitive differences between men and women appear to be quite few. I'm inclined to believe that the majority of observed behavioral differences are due to cultural circumstances.
Sounds more like a common case of brain damage, or autism.
You could call it "brain damage". It's a very specific sort of brain damage though.
Diebert van Rhijn

[Note: I now edited back in the things that EI already began responding to while I removed some stuff within a minute after initial posting]
ExpectantlyIronic wrote:
Is that a fact?
You should have been able to tell that it's an unquestionable fact by the way I used the term "probably" multiple times in my above post. :)
Yeah, even while I did get your attempt at humor... you still appear to have failed to notice how all the 'probably' qualifiers were related to your conclusions about talking and brain communication, not about the more fundamental suggested size or shape difference which you clearly stated to be a 'fact'.
ExpectantlyIronic wrote: Although, the splenial portion of the corpus callosum is still believed to be larger in females. In reality, the cognitive differences between men and women appear to be quite few. I'm inclined to believe that the majority of observed behavioral differences are due to cultural circumstances.
The suggested typical shape of the female splenial portion might as well be caused or influenced by the way females behave, since children do not appear to differentiate there yet.

You're right that the cognitive differences between men and women appear to be few, but you should ask yourself if that's another cultural circumstance or not. Or even a Good Thing. Perhaps one, or both, of the sexes are trying too much to lessen any fundamental difference? How would you go about it getting to the truth here?

ExpectantlyIronic wrote: You could call it "brain damage". It's a very specific sort of brain damage though.
Perhaps I should qualify your list here a bit:

1. "poor social judgment". Is that a healthy social functioning that is perceived as not having numbers 2, 3 and 4 ?
2. "can't express their emotions". Assuming here it has to be expressed to others to know it or given attention to as some little theater drama being played out with us being the star.
3. "difficulties interpreting non-literal speech". That's common for many mild and severe personality disorders, though just as well for uncommon minds who just associate differently, not less non-literal.
4. "have an impaired sense of humor." That's unavoidably related to number 2 and 3

Last edited by Diebert van Rhijn on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.