Changing user names

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tharan wrote:Nick,

I appreciate your opinion. But would you mind if we do a little mind experiment? Can you do me a favor, and give a name to a new color of reflected light? This color is not a combination of any previously known colors nor is it an obvious result of the known electromagentic spectrum. But it is "real" nonetheless. Can you give this existential form a name for me?

In the same manner that this request is impossible to imagine, it is equally nonsensical to name it or take it seriously. The exact same argument can be given to the terms "perfect" and "infinite." They are wholly unreachable and not actual forms, in much the same way the Platonic forms relate to the Aristotelian labeled objects.

One may label reproduceable facts, such as the First Law of Consciousness; Identity and Differentiation (A=A), the consistency of Cause and Effect, or the Nature of human existence as (the alleviation of) suffering, as Absolute Truths, and that is certainly your personal right to do so. But it does not mean that I must also do so. And whether I do or do not, is entirely immaterial to the "truth" of those forms. It is merely a linguistic trick, in much the same the term "enlightenment" is used.
Well, I'm not as much concerned about how we want to label something (as long as it's coherent and consistent), than I am with the actual ideals themselves. If we're speaking about ideals of Absolute Truth, Ultimate Reality, and The Infinite then you either know them or you don't. Logically, opinion and subjectivity are irrelevant, there's just know two ways about it. Again, the dynamic is the same thing as the equation 2+2=4, there is simply no other answer to that equation other than the number 4. And anyone who knows the correct answer, "the enlightened individual", would necessarily hold the same answer as another "enlightened individual". If two individuals disagree on the answer, then one of them is not enlightened, or neither of them are.
Tharan wrote:With all this being said, the subjective journey, the relativity of language and sociability, whether or not Individual X calls himself enlightened is entirely outside the sphere of the personal, subjective journey. The history of peoples traverses the actual to the abstract (and often back again), as do the development of some individuals. They are mirrored. But they are mirrored internally in each of us, subjectively. One may choose to elevate the words of someone who claims enlightenment or disparage the words of that same person. But it is a personal, subjective choice relating to our experiences and the values we draw from them and how this interacts with the words we are hearing from Individual X.

There is only understanding. It should improve over time. That is the point of the journey.
I agree each individual will have their own unique experiences, assign unique values to certain things, and have their own unique and abstract perception of the world around them. Still the Absolute Truth remains, you can ignore it, but it remain there, unchanging, for infinite. Some may come to know it, some may not. The point of the journey would not be to simply improve, but to reach a point where one gains this timeless knowledge (enlightenment). If you are only satisfied with improvement, then the prize at the end of the road will never be yours. This kind of relates to your's and Ryan's conversation about UG Krish. He became satisfied when he reached a certain point along the path, but the ultimate prize was not meant to be, for him. You can say satisfaction can be most dangerous when one is a ways down the path, but still short of the ultimate prize.
sky

Post by sky »

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip slidin' away

I know a man
He came from my home town
He wore his passion for his woman
Like a thorny crown
He said Dolores
I live in fear
My love for you's so overpowering
I'm afraid that I will disappear

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away

I know a woman
Became a wife
These are the very words she uses
To describe her life
She said a good day
Ain't got no rain
She said a bad day's when I lie in bed
And think of things that might have been

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away

And I know a fa-ther
Who had a son
He longed to tell him all the reasons
For the things he'd done
He came a long way
Just to explain
He kissed his boy as he lay sleeping
Then he turned around and headed home again

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away

God only knows
God makes his plan
The information's unavailable
To the mortal man
We're working our jobs
Collect our pay
Believe we're gliding down the highway
When in fact we're slip slidin' away

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away

Slip slidin' away
Mmm...

Carl G

Post by Carl G »

sky,

I would love it if you would attribute any words you yourself did not actually write. Example: "Slip Slidin' Away" by Paul Simon.

Thanks.
Good Citizen Carl
sky

Post by sky »

oh yes of course

so sorry

it is so obvious to me that i never thought anyone would not know it was paul simon
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

Nick Treklis wrote:You can say satisfaction can be most dangerous when one is a ways down the path, but still short of the ultimate prize.
I think this is where I personally would disagree with the QRS POV. I am not convinced that their is an "ultimate prize" other than the truly remarkable and wonderful prize we already have. Each of us. We only need to understand it.

Have you heard the zen saying about how, before enlightenment, mountains and rivers are mountains and rivers? At the moment of exhiliration, of understanding, mountains are no longer mountains and rivers are no longer rivers. Once it is achieved, mountains and rivers are again merely mountains and rivers.

Or the one where the old man is asked what enlightenment is like, he says that it is like nothing. There is no achievement, no prize. There is simply awakening, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. You simply see what was a part of you all along. Or better yet, you see what YOU were a part of all along.
sky

Post by sky »

intuitively i agree

i have said it before that the idea of prize of the use of words like lofty and rare achievement makes me think

'this is not it'

there are those people who have mystical encounters with christ or mary or krishna or babaji or tibetan masters etc.

some might say they are hysterics and no such thing can/has happened

i really don't know

dante though a poet gave a remarkably mystical description of encountering god

if any such thing should happen to me i think i would be astonished and deeply grateful

that the universe is programmed toward enlightenment is what makes me believe in god

we are meant to be enlightened

it is not a prize to be won setting one above others like a crown of laurel leaves

it is the tenderest of mercies
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tharan wrote:
Nick Treklis wrote:You can say satisfaction can be most dangerous when one is a ways down the path, but still short of the ultimate prize.
I think this is where I personally would disagree with the QRS POV. I am not convinced that their is an "ultimate prize" other than the truly remarkable and wonderful prize we already have. Each of us. We only need to understand it.

Have you heard the zen saying about how, before enlightenment, mountains and rivers are mountains and rivers? At the moment of exhiliration, of understanding, mountains are no longer mountains and rivers are no longer rivers. Once it is achieved, mountains and rivers are again merely mountains and rivers.

Or the one where the old man is asked what enlightenment is like, he says that it is like nothing. There is no achievement, no prize. There is simply awakening, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. You simply see what was a part of you all along. Or better yet, you see what YOU were a part of all along.
You're taking what I meant when I said "ultimate prize" out of context. I didn't mean there would be fireworks, celebration, and birthday cake when you attained it. It's just another description for the moment one reaches enlightenment and can begin to see Ultimate Reality for what it truly is, at all times, effortlessly. If there is no enlightenment, then everything you said is right, for then everyone would have to be diluted to some degree. As of right now, that doesn't sit well with my ego, perfection is all I want. Anything less is worthless, in my opinion. So I keep striving for perfection, and remain careful not to become satisfied with mere progress. Even if perfection is not meant to be for me, I will continue to hold the ideal itself with high regard, and encourage others to succeed where I have failed.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

sky wrote:
i have said it before that the idea of prize of the use of words like lofty and rare achievement makes me think 'this is not it'
and:
we are meant to be enlightened
I agree that we are all meant to be enlightended at some point in our incarnations, and it would be nice if everyone would hurry up and get enlightened, but I have to agree that at this point in time, it is a "rare achievement." I only even thought that I met one very enlightened person once, but the interaction was through the internet (which can hide the totality of a person quite well, if one so chose), and at this point I am not able to determine with conviction that he was as he represented himself to be. At the very least, he or they came up with a persona of enlightenment.

Everyone has had some degree of shortcomings that dimmed the light of enlightenment (including me), most have been on the less concious end of semi-concious, many have deluded themselves, and the few remaining couldn't even get it if they had a microchip programmed to filter logic from illogic implanted in their brains.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Nick Treklis wrote: Even if perfection is not meant to be for me, I will continue to hold the ideal itself with high regard, and encourage others to succeed where I have failed.
Those words reflect sagacity.
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

The only requirement is a good set of Pom Poms.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl ... wens_i.jpg

Go Panthers!
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

It's right here.
Elizabeth Isabelle

gold lame pom-poms do not reflect sagacity, they just reflect.