Work

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Work

Post by Kevin Solway »

Tomas wrote:On some other thread (which escapes me) Kevin Solway says he works for his income...

I stand corrected...
Even though I am receiving an income in the more socially acceptable sense, I don't consider that "unemployed" people are necessarily not working.

And I know that many "employed" people are actually not working, or doing an extremely small amount of it. Many "working people" are crooks and con-men whose only "work" is to lie and rip-off other people, or to rape the environment and call the profits their own.

Most of the "work" people are doing, such as 99% of journalism and marketing, or playing the shares market, or work in the fashion industry, or the business of religion, is only contributing to the degradation of society. It would be better described as vandalism.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

I know many people who have benefitted, been helped by, the "religion business." I'm talking flock people, not clergy. I don't think it is fair to denigrate religion this way, though I do agree with you about the fashion industry and some of the other areas you mention.

As a young man I made a conscious decision to veer away from careers in luxury items, such as not working in a Television set factory. Lol, they're all overseas now, so good choice. But seriously, it has been part of my morality, almost hard-wired, I could say.

I'm actually not sure I believe in that as fully as I used to, though. Could have had some fun doing useless stuff, and I'm not sure my spiritual development would have suffered. I may have made more money, too, which is always nice to have. In fact I have kind of edged into the semi-luxury area, recently, selling doors, of all things, to rich folk as well as middle class.
Good Citizen Carl
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Carl G wrote:I know many people who have benefitted, been helped by, the "religion business."
My main objection to the religion is that it encourages people to think that lying, or switching off the brain, is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle choice.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Kevin Solway wrote:
Even though I am receiving an income in the more socially acceptable sense.
In the west there are only a very small number of jobs that the genius can actually tolerate. To bring in a little money, I work as a part-time security guard on the weekends which is a joke. Security guards in Canada do absolutely nothing. I look after an empty building and therefore I have no boss to answer to. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I break into the engineer’s office to go on genius forum, other times I break into the employee's kitchen to steal food.

What other jobs or gimmicks are ideal for the genius to survive in modern civilization?

Eventually I’m gonna get fired, causality can only work in ones favor for so long.

I’ve been trying to grow my own food sustainable permaculture style, but it requires resources such as owned fertile land/property, money and so on and I would need to enslave myself to large loans just to be able to achieve that ideal so it doesn’t seem feasible at this point.
emma

Post by emma »

The best work a genius can do is to make a living at what he/she does best. if no one wants to buy the work, then the genius must continue even to the point of starvation knowing that one day he/she will leave a legacy (Van Gogh, Jesus etc )
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Emma wrote:
The best work a genius can do is to make a living at what he/she does best.
What a genius does best is speak/know the truth, but the truth should not be sold as a commodity.

Emma wrote:
then the genius must continue even to the point of starvation knowing that one day he/she will leave a legacy (Van Gogh, Jesus etc )
I don’t give a damn about leaving a legacy, a concern with legacy is an ego trip.

one could condense the truth into a piece of art, however many works of art steal the sage’s soul in the process. Making art is tricky business.
emma

Post by emma »

E
then the genius must continue even to the point of starvation knowing that one day he/she will leave a legacy (Van Gogh, Jesus etc )

CP
I don’t give a damn about leaving a legacy, a concern with legacy is an ego trip.
Tell that to Jesus ....I dont think that was his MO
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Emma wrote:
Tell that to Jesus ....I dont think that was his MO
My main point is that one shouldn’t be overly concerned achieving immortality through one’s art/work because one wonders what is the motivation behind such a striving for future achievements?
emma

Post by emma »

I agree, but also one should not avoid one's life work because one does not think one can make a living at it. Further one should not use the time that he/she could spend on this life work instead to earn a bit more .this is a waste of genius.
Therefore a genius should as I said .... make a living at what he/she does best.
He/she should do it honestly/with Truth always as the litmus test .but not weasting a precious second
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

kevin the coma he was a smart one
but even so there were things
he didn't understand
peter the powerdrain
he's been around again
looks kind of sickly
from breathing the fumes
maybe on second thoughts
he doesn't understand too

kevin and peter ... peter and paul
matthew mark luke and john
i've had 'em all
in the back of my cab there's room
for everybody
i've had 'em all
in the back of my cab
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

emma:
The best work a genius can do is to make a living at what he/she does best. if no one wants to buy the work, then the genius must continue
Yes, but a survival must be generated in order for the genius (or anyone else) to continue to do the worthwhile work.

Kevin:
Most of the "work" people are doing, such as 99% of journalism and marketing, or playing the shares market, or work in the fashion industry, or the business of religion, is only contributing to the degradation of society. It would be better described as vandalism.
Perhaps to probably, but whatever it is that generates income, if it is the best or only way a person can get income, I place more fault with the buyer than the seller.

I know a guy who lives off disability who runs support groups for the depression and bipolar support alliance, goes on emergency calls to quell disputes that are turning into domestic violence situations, and does other things that are helpful to human relations. IMO, he earns his check.

I know another guy who lives off disability who sponsors more people through AA than many counselors have clients. I think he earns his check, too.

Another guy I know lives off government subsidy, but he works full time hours as an EMT (the job market where he lives is awful).

I know another lady who lives off disability who has a band. She has agoraphobia, so they don't play in clubs - they just play in her garage. The neighbors are not happy with her.

So I agree that many times people who live off "handouts" actually contribute in whatever way they can.

I know people who earn their living playing the markets. They pay a lot of taxes that support people like the above. Their direct work may not contribute much to society, but their taxes do.

I changed careers to get out of the hospitals because the "bean counters" had taken over the show so much that it is not possible to do really good patient care. For awhile, I was able to at least assess who was in the most dire need and take care of those who would die without help first, then work my way down the priority list and at least get everyone reasonably taken care of. When it got to the point that the hospital priority was that it had to look right on paper even if it meant that people had to die (with the excuse of "it shouldn't matter to you. If enough people die, the policy will get changed") then that was enough for me. Would I be making a more "worthwhile" contribution if I were still in the hospital? Probably, but I can't treat people that inhumanely and I can't tolerate being treated as inhumanely as I have been treated working for other people.

Doing the most good is a top priority of ethics. How to do the most good while doing the least harm is a lot to consider including all the subsequent events. Probably the only way to "do no harm" is inaction, which leads to not doing any good either.
Unidian

Work...

Post by Unidian »

For those interested in the topic of work and how it relates to the philosophical life, these threads may be interesting:

Freedom, Capitalism, & Work

Minimum Wage: Is it Desirable? (Topic quickly shifts to work)

The Causes of Poverty (Topic is also work and welfare)

Grameen Bank & The Communist Fire Department

Please respond to anything that interests you here if you feel more comfortable doing so - I am not trying to direct traffic away from this board. I'll check back here and try to answer anything that may come up.
I live in a tub.